PA PA - Ray Gricar, 59, Bellefonte, 15 April 2005 - #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not directly related, but a State Representative (Mike Fleck, R) came out yesterday. He is from a district just south of Centre County (and, ironically, includes Lake Raystown). http://www.publicopiniononline.com/...te-rep-mike-fleck-says-hes?source=most_viewed

I'm posting this because this is an area much more conservative than Centre County, and in response to the "Ray-is-gay-'cause-he-drives-a-Mini" crowd. In Centre County, it would have made much less of a difference; it has a large college age population that is fairly liberal on the issue (and was when I was there, 30 years ago). I don't buy the theory that RFG, not facing re-election, would have feared being outed if he was was gay. I do not believe he was gay, but I don't think it would make a difference.

I totally agree - Huntingdon is a VERY conservative town compared to State College (if you aren't considering the college people in Huntingdon - go, Juniata!). Anyone would have had an easier time coming out in State college than what that representative is probably going through in Huntingdon.

If I or my family and friends had been threatened, I would never drive down a remote county road without cell service. Certainly not unarmed. RFG did.

I would never drive 40 miles from home without leaving a clear message, or telling someone to at least look at, if something happened.

I agree that the idea of RFG knowingly driving off to his own murder makes absolutely NO sense at all.

Let's face it, RFG certainly had trusted and loyal friends, relatives, and colleagues to whom he could have turned if the thought he was in danger. He knew the DA in Lewisburg, whose office was less than 0.35 miles away from where the car was parked.

He easily could sent an e-mail to his own account at the office about the purpose of the trip. He easily could written a note and left it at home, or at the office. He could have left his phone on so it could be traced to Lewisburg. He easily could have told one, or more, of about ten people, SS, MS, if he could have been reached, PEF, JKA, Lara, any of his two adult nephews, any one of three other ADA's, his first ex-wife, EW, or Pete Johnson, the DA in Lewisburg. Or, he could have called the police, either the BPD or the PSP.

No, according to your theory, he uses a book, that only about 4-5 people knew he read, and which has a major plot point of someone faking his own death.

This was either a coincidence, or it points to walkaway.

I don't have a theory. I'm just trying to see if there is any possible connection to the book that would make sense or could give some information. So far, I'm thinking there isn't.

I don't have a theory. I'm just trying to see if there is any possible connection to the book that would make sense or could give some information. So far, I'm thinking there isn't.

***Spoiler***

The only "connection" would be a message to indicate a faked death. It is a major plot point. The murderer in the book fakes his own death off Greece, and is "cremated," though it wasn't him. The murderer was a music professor at the university in the book, was suppose to be an expert on Mahler.

***Spoiler***

The only "connection" would be a message to indicate a faked death. It is a major plot point. The murderer in the book fakes his own death off Greece, and is "cremated," though it wasn't him. The murderer was a music professor at the university in the book, was suppose to be an expert on Mahler.
My primary interest in her book relates to Betsy Aardsma's murder.

Nobody would give her access to the files. She didn't even know about the current suspect, Haefner.

Are any of the files accessible now? Or are they still held as being "under investigation"? Also - Has Pamela West ever discussed her suspicions re. Betsy's death with police/investigators? I gather that she did not suspect Haefner, was any research done as to the person she did suspect (even if he is now deceased)?

J.J. - I know that you've been following and reporting on Gricar's case for a very long time now. You're informed and you probably know more than most of us...I have some questions...

Given that Ray had suffered, lived through, and might potentially have had doubts about whether or not his brother had committed suicide....Knowing how that might have felt for those family members that remained, if IF IF he committed suicide himself, wouldn't he have wanted things to be clearer for those that were left behind? I would assume (at the very least) that he would have wanted them to know that that was what had happened.

Regarding a "walk-away"...Wouldn't the same be true? They've had a strange suicide in the family where someone has gone missing and was found dead without explanation so, if Ray did walk away, wouldn't he in some way want to console who he left that he left of his own accord. Through some sort of message or action?

As I've already stated, due largely to my thoughts as laid out above, I believe that Ray was a victim of foul play and unfortunately, was a victim of murder.

I can't begin to imagine the reasons for such a murder, but given his position as DA of long-standing (with many cases behind him), it would not surprise me in the least.

Are any of the files accessible now? Or are they still held as being "under investigation"? Also - Has Pamela West ever discussed her suspicions re. Betsy's death with police/investigators? I gather that she did not suspect Haefner, was any research done as to the person she did suspect (even if he is now deceased)?

The speculation was an English professor that died a few weeks later.

I don't think anyone knew about Haefner in 1990.

The files are not open, but the book Who Killed Betsy really nailed down a lot of research. Littlehorn from this site was one of the authors.

Respectfully snipped.

Given that Ray had suffered, lived through, and might potentially have had doubts about whether or not his brother had committed suicide....Knowing how that might have felt for those family members that remained, if IF IF he committed suicide himself, wouldn't he have wanted things to be clearer for those that were left behind? I would assume (at the very least) that he would have wanted them to know that that was what had happened.

Financially everything was taken care of. The car was in Patty's name.

By "dying" prior to retirement, my understanding is that his daughter got a larger lump sum, and there was a tax benefit.

Regarding a "walk-away"...Wouldn't the same be true? They've had a strange suicide in the family where someone has gone missing and was found dead without explanation so, if Ray did walk away, wouldn't he in some way want to console who he left that he left of his own accord. Through some sort of message or action?

Same answer, but with one addition. If his idea was to vanish without a trace, and he tells people, Patty or Lara, he puts them in the position of committing perjury. They had to testify that they didn't know where he was or what happened to him.

As I've already stated, due largely to my thoughts as laid out above, I believe that Ray was a victim of foul play and unfortunately, was a victim of murder.

I can't begin to imagine the reasons for such a murder, but given his position as DA of long-standing (with many cases behind him), it would not surprise me in the least.

I can think of a few reasons, but some of them wouldn't look good on the front page of the CDT. One that would would be that he met someone for a case. The problem is, if he thought he was in danger, why didn't he leave a not or tell someone? "I'm going to meet ___ about ____ . If something happens to me, you know who did it."

RFG didn't think he was in any danger.

Also...Any idea why the second wife has been and continues to be soooo silent? I know that she has stated that she is now writing a book but before that....Nothing. Not even a sense of interest or sadness?

Also...Any idea why the second wife has been and continues to be soooo silent? I know that she has stated that she is now writing a book but before that....Nothing. Not even a sense of interest or sadness?

Bad breakup? RFG was the one that filed for divorce. Sloane indicated that the marriage was somewhat turbulent. There were fights over her spending (which doesn't make too much sense, because of his salary). She did work as well.

She had made a few comments about hoping nothing happened to him.

The speculation was an English professor that died a few weeks later.

I don't think anyone knew about Haefner in 1990.

The files are not open, but the book Who Killed Betsy really nailed down a lot of research. Littlehorn from this site was one of the authors.

I read about the other professor. I'm assuming he's the one that took of at Thanksgiving with his family and then died a little while later in a car crash?

I've read most of Littlehorn's posts and am looking forward to purchasing the book when I get the chance.

I read about the other professor. I'm assuming he's the one that took of at Thanksgiving with his family and then died a little while later in a car crash?

I've read most of Littlehorn's posts and am looking forward to purchasing the book when I get the chance.

Yes, that's it. The other professor, I think his was Dougly or something, was ruled out by Littlehorn, et al.

Given the way his brother died and the pain of not understanding/knowing that is likely to have affected his family, I cannot fathom a "suicide" theory without his leaving a note. It would really be too cruel. Ray doesn't sound like someone who didn't think things through and he is not described as overtly distraught prior to his disappearance. So...I am left with "walk-away" or murder. And once again, given the same results from walk-away as there are for suicide, I still come down to murder.

This is my opinion only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member