PA PA - Ray Gricar, 59, Bellefonte, 15 April 2005 - #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
First, a disclaimer: Drug laws are not my forte.

From what I can find, Sloane seems to be charged under this section: Except as authorized by this act, the manufacture, delivery, or possession with intent to manufacture or deliver, a controlled substance by a person not registered under this act, or a practitioner not registered or licensed by the appropriate State board, or knowingly creating, delivering or possessing with intent to deliver, a counterfeit controlled substance.

http://www.drugtaskforce.org/title35.htm

They may ultimately have a hard time proving "intent." Sloane is known for having severe medical problem and could claim no intent to distribute.

First, a disclaimer: Drug laws are not my forte.

From what I can find, Sloane seems to be charged under this section: Except as authorized by this act, the manufacture, delivery, or possession with intent to manufacture or deliver, a controlled substance by a person not registered under this act, or a practitioner not registered or licensed by the appropriate State board, or knowingly creating, delivering or possessing with intent to deliver, a counterfeit controlled substance.

http://www.drugtaskforce.org/title35.htm

They may ultimately have a hard time proving "intent." Sloane is known for having severe medical problem and could claim no intent to distribute.

Is it possible that the Opus Dei of Peyton Place are doing this to discredit Sloane? Maybe they feared he was going to talk? I'm not thinking a setup in terms of planting drugs; rather, given that everyone knows everyone here in Stepford, perhaps they knew he used medicinal marijuana and saw an opportunity to "bust" him -- knowing the charges wouldn't stick, but knowing (if Sloane talked) they'd be able to say, "You're going to believe the words of a drug addict?"

There is actually a website where people post what they paid for pot and the general location, and archived so I could look at prices in August and September of 2011 in Central PA. I never thought I would see such a thing!!! The per ounce price was roughly $300-$400, er "retail."

Is it possible that the Opus Dei of Peyton Place are doing this to discredit Sloane? Maybe they feared he was going to talk? I'm not thinking a setup in terms of planting drugs; rather, given that everyone knows everyone here in Stepford, perhaps they knew he used medicinal marijuana and saw an opportunity to "bust" him -- knowing the charges wouldn't stick, but knowing (if Sloane talked) they'd be able to say, "You're going to believe the words of a drug addict?"

Well, maybe, but I kind of doubt it. Sloane, according to reports, was addicted to Oxycontin, which he obtained legally. It was for injuries he had from a car accident. It's legal, but he'd still be an addict.

The charge is "possession with intent to manufacture or deliver." Looking at what LE says he paid, this does not look like a large amount of drugs, which would be consistent with the intent. It would be a relatively small amount and not something you would be expecting from a trafficker.

My guess is that this is an overcharge. Why they would be overcharging is interesting. There was a media report that Sloane was involved in the 1998 investigation.

My guess is that this is an overcharge. Why they would be overcharging is interested. There was a media report that Sloane was involved in the 1998 investigation.

(RSBM) I didn't express my thoughts very well, but this is what I was getting at -- my drug was wrong (pot vs. oxy), but I'm thinking they're pressing him for reasons other than a legit drug bust.

(RSBM) I didn't express my thoughts very well, but this is what I was getting at -- my drug was wrong (pot vs. oxy), but I'm thinking they're pressing him for reasons other than a legit drug bust.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I suspect it is for leverage on Sloane. I think they have a lot of leverage.

Just to be clear, according to the police, Sloane said that he had been an Oxycontin addict (past tense). He was charged with the marijuana and possession of hydrocodone.

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/10/02/3356578/former-centre-county-da-steve.html

Note that Sloane had been in an accident and broken his back; I'd suspect the Oxycontin many have been prescription (and legal).

I think, looking at the amount, along with Sloane's health condition, the prosecution may have a hard time with the distribution aspect of the case, even if they can make the possession stick (it might be a misdemeanor).

Just to be clear, according to the police, Sloane said that he had been an Oxycontin addict (past tense). He was charged with the marijuana and possession of hydrocodone.

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/10/02/3356578/former-centre-county-da-steve.html

Note that Sloane had been in an accident and broken his back; I'd suspect the Oxycontin many have been prescription (and legal).

I think, looking at the amount, along with Sloane's health condition, the prosecution may have a hard time with the distribution aspect of the case, even if they can make the possession stick (it might be a misdemeanor).

It's all a bit weird...Dontcha' think?

It's all a bit weird...Dontcha' think?

That Sloane might be using pot, I'd say yes.

That these are the charges, no. Remember, even in the Sandusky case, the judge tossed several of the specific charges because they were so weak (none from 1998, however).

The prosecution, who doesn't want to face a risky trial will sometimes say, "Let's make a deal," using the heavier charges to try to force a plea deal. That could be what's happening. Likewise, they might be expecting Sloane to offer them something else. perhaps not even related to these charges.

[I will add that even a felony conviction would not necessarily lead to a permanent loss of a law license in Pennsylvania.]

: ) It's so nice to know that you're consistently here. Thanks for answering. I still find it all a bit over the top given what they've found. It sounds to me like a political agenda.

: ) It's so nice to know that you're consistently here. Thanks for answering. I still find it all a bit over the top given what they've found. It sounds to me like a political agenda.

I would doubt if it is political. Sloane ran for judge a few years ago, and got his clock cleaned. Anyone with ties to the DA's Office in 1998 would have a difficult time politically in Centre County in the next election cycle, which is this year. Couple that with Sloane's health situation over the years* and he is not the most viable candidate in Centre County, even without the drug charges.

The are several possibilities. One, they have a lot more than they are saying. I'd doubt it, but it is possible. Two, they are overcharging and hoping for a deal. That is possible. Three, they want Sloane's cooperation in another case. [sarcasm]Gee, I wonder what case that could possibly be?[/sarcasm]

*I feel for Sloane because I suffer from a congenital back condition; in his case, I believe he broke his back in an accident. Still, under MTM, Sloane had a poor attendance record; I think he was absent about 50% of the time and was denied a merit raise/bonus. His health, his ability to do the job because of his health, would likely be an issue.

JJ - I follow as much as I can. I came to Ray Gricar via Betsy Aardsma but if there is anything I can do in the way of research, please let me know. Research is my thing. Drop me a pm and I will chase down whatever I can. I know how compelling it is once you latch onto a case and would be happy to help in whatever way possible. I really respect your dedication to this case and would be happy to do whatever I can to help you.

PP, first, talk to Littlehorn about Aardsma; that is a suggestion, not me being smart. You might, through your questions, be able to raise something that solves the case. :)

Second, keep asking questions here. That helps, for the same reason.

There was something I noticed in the Spanier presentment. 6 pages cover the 1998 investigaton.

PP, first, talk to Littlehorn about Aardsma; that is a suggestion, not me being smart. You might, through your questions, be able to raise something that solves the case. :)

Second, keep asking questions here. That helps, for the same reason.

How does one talk to Littlehorn? I've posted here repeatedly and Littlehorn does not heed my call. The website for the book has nowhere to leave messages...

There is a book out, The Myths and Mysteries of Pennsylvania, by Kara Hughes that has a section on the Gricar disappearance. It really doesn't offer anything new, however, and just has a summary.

Ironically, it quotes Ive Butterworth.

A few quick tidbits from someone's Twitter account. I expect the formatting will get all bollocksed up, but hopefully the gist will come through.

5h J. Mark Horgas J. Mark Horgas ‏@MarkHorgas

The detective also told me that #PennState had had many complaints about #Sandusky in the 1990's.
Expand

I was told Ray Gricar never forced ppl to testify against their will. That's why Ray Gricar never followed through w/ 1998 #Sandusky case
Expand

Ray Gricar never filed charges vs #Sandusky in 1998 because the victim's mother refused to testify according to my detective friend.
Expand

BTW #Sandusky graduated #1 in his #PennState Phys Ed major. My State College Detective friend said "that guy was really weird". Gricar ...
Expand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members