PA PA - Ray Gricar, 59, former district attorney, Bellefonte, 15 Apr 2005 - #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have wondered for some time if RFG could have walked into a trap set for him. I don't believe he committed suicide. I don't believe he went into the river either. According to other posts, this is a shallow river nothing like the Mississippi River. If he was meeting someone, that person could have set a trap for him; or, someone could have followed one of them to the meeting and disposed of both of them.

I have wondered for some time if RFG could have walked into a trap set for him. I don't believe he committed suicide. I don't believe he went into the river either. According to other posts, this is a shallow river nothing like the Mississippi River. If he was meeting someone, that person could have set a trap for him; or, someone could have followed one of them to the meeting and disposed of both of them.
That is my most likely murder scenario.

It's plausible, but he was getting ready to retire and didn't typically involve himself in investigative work so far as I know, so I'm not sure that he would have been doing anything related to his regular duties.

It could have been something personal. The obvious scenario that comes to mind is an affair with a married woman. The trouble with that scenario is that no other person was reported missing from the area around the same time as Ray, and if the woman was not killed, then she must have known what happened to Ray.

It could have been a revenge scenario where the woman was an accomplice. In that case, the perp would probably have been someone Ray put behind bars years beforehand who finally got out and who held a grudge.

It could also have been the drug traffickers from Ray's current case, but their motive would have been very weak. Ray was about to retire, and his replacement might have been even more aggressive than he was. Moreover, the death of a sitting D. A. would have shined a light on criminal activity in the county in a way that no organized crime outfit would want.

It's plausible, but he was getting ready to retire and didn't typically involve himself in investigative work so far as I know, so I'm not sure that he would have been doing anything related to his regular duties.

It could have been something personal. The obvious scenario that comes to mind is an affair with a married woman. The trouble with that scenario is that no other person was reported missing from the area around the same time as Ray, and if the woman was not killed, then she must have known what happened to Ray.

It could have been a revenge scenario where the woman was an accomplice. In that case, the perp would probably have been someone Ray put behind bars years beforehand who finally got out and who held a grudge.

It could also have been the drug traffickers from Ray's current case, but their motive would have been very weak. Ray was about to retire, and his replacement might have been even more aggressive than he was. Moreover, the death of a sitting D. A. would have shined a light on criminal activity in the county in a way that no organized crime outfit would want.
It could have been one of those cases that police officers and detectives say haunt them. He could have wanted it solved before he left office.

The way the police mailed it in on this thing smells of a managed conspiracy. The obvious lack of a thorough investigation is astonishing. It only takes two to conspire. The more that conspire, the more mouths there are to spill the beans. After all these years, it’s difficult to manage a number of mouths, especially ones that may lose interest or motivation in staying quiet.

A law enforcement conspiracy to cover up for Ray disappearing on his own seems possible. In that case, the conspirators broke the law in many ways, and wasted many dollars in tax funded measures. That alone makes it less than likely.

A conspiracy to make Ray disappear seems more likely. Some authority in that equation is all that was needed to manipulate the investigation to the unworthiness that resulted.

"Getting ready to retire" is exactly why he might do it.

Any thoughts on Ray having the email of a "Martie Capparelle" written in his calendar? This woman is corporate secretary for TC Transport in Bellefonte, a hauling and delivery trucking service.

In the McChesney diary there's a line that says:

Rumor: JS brought drugs for steroids & disappearance with Gricar - sand supplier connect and may have led to Gricar's disappearance - were players becoming more violent?

Tc Transport delivers sand, among other materials.

Wasn't Gricar spotted near a quarry near Lewisburg?

Google Maps view of Water St & PA 45 at bridge entrance

The Packwood House Museum (recently closed permanently) is on the left. The park is across the street on the right where Ray was seen walking and talking by two women who worked at the Museum. Looking straight ahead, 2 and one half blocks away is the Street of Shops. The women saw him pacing back and forth while talking. They didn't see a cell phone and Ray's county owned cell phone wasn't used at that time. Some speculate he was talking to someone using a burner phone and a bluetooth earpiece. This was in early afternoon.

These women identified his car, which was parked across the street for a while, with him in the car, then, later, out of it and walking in the park.

The article above states Jennifer Snyder saw Ray around noon, but her actual statement to police states it was around 2 pm.

Any thoughts on Ray having the email of a "Martie Capparelle" written in his calendar? This woman is corporate secretary for TC Transport in Bellefonte, a hauling and delivery trucking service.

bo
Rumor: JS brought drugs for steroids & disappearance with Gricar - sand supplier connect and may have led to Gricar's disappearance - were players becoming more violent?

I'm not familiar with this info. For now, JMO, if Ray's disappearance was foul play, it took a group of people to both carry it out and manage a cover up. Anything is possible, but is it likely student athletes could pull off a plot to murder Ray?

Do you have a link to the excerpts from Kathleen McChesney's diary?

Do you have a link to the excerpts from Kathleen McChesney's diary?

S

SuperSmith

Former Member​

192 is Buffalo Rd and the Quarry is on Dale Quarry Road. I am not sure how anyone could see a vehicle driving in from Dale Quarry unless they were sitting at the intersection. And you cannot drive through the quarry regardless of what google maps is showing. Campbell Mill and Strawbridge form a T. Strawbridge becomes a dirt path for about 50 yards or so past the T and peters out to scrub.

Trying to search the quarry would be a daunting task, even with ground penetration radar.

I doubt anyone would put a body in the wooded section behind the quarry as the quarry and it's equipment could but a body at least 12" underground at any spot, pack the dirt back down and put a stone pile on top of it. Putting a body in the woods leaves too much chance for discovery by hunters and kids.
This was a Q&A session on the CDT.

""Q: Was a search done along state Route 192, the road Gricar said he was on when he was last heard from?

A: Bellefonte police officer Darrel Zaccagni said both state Route 192 and state Route 45 were searched soon after Gricar was reported missing on April 15. A few people came forward and said they saw a red-and-white Mini Cooper -- the same type of car Gricar was driving when he disappeared -- in the area on April 15 and 16, but police could not confirm that the car seen was actually Gricar's.

At least one person reportedly saw the Mini Cooper leaving a stone quarry located along Route 192 about a mile from where the car was found in a Lewisburg parking lot. Zaccagni said police have searched the quarry twice and have talked to quarry workers there, some of whom said they also remember seeing a Mini Cooper driving away from the quarry.

The quarry has two small, shallow sludge ponds, but nothing unusual was found there, Zaccagni said. Bellefonte police officers also walked through a small wooded area near the quarry but found nothing out of the ordinary there, either."

Found this in a 2013 post on this forum. Can’t quote the post so copied/pasted. If this is legit I stand corrected.

Interesting that the Mini may have been seen leaving the quarry. Did RG deposit something in the quarry, or did someone deposit RG in the quarry? I wonder if LE confirmed that the Mini was in the quarry. Stone dust residue on the bottom of the Mini would have confirmed this. No forensic accounting was done that JJ and I were able to discover. I had a forensic accountant look at the documents I got under Freedom of Information. It did not make sense to her. I did not have the funds to do a deeper dive.

Double post. WS is acting odd tonight.

Last edited:
I have always questioned the "sighting" of Ray moving his car off the street into the lot..it's just such a mundane thing to remember..I just have trouble with it and why the he77 was Ray at the quarry? that's weird and problematic.

I feel like I didn't know this ..maybe we just haven't discussed it in a long time..I guess maybe I didn't think that much of it
because in my state there is a quarry and its a big swimming hole...so cool..anyway just didn't register to me as a big
dried out dust bowl with a building or two..

the quarry is a perfect place to get rid of Ray. mOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member