PA - Rebekah Byler, 23, mother & six months pregnant, murdered, Crawford County, 26 Feb 2024 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

"As of Saturday, Crime scene tape still surrounds Cranston’s home on Main Street in Corry. JET 24/FOX 66’s Jennifer Mobilia spoke with a woman who said Cranston was her foster dad growing up."

and

"Cranston’s daughter believes the murder was a case of mistaken identity. She added the Amish couple who lived in Byler’s home a few years ago adopted Cranston’s grandson.

“Supposedly she started yelling at him, coming in, then that’s when boom, all it took. It’s just horrifying to think that,” she continued."

The daughter quoted in the article identifies herself as his former foster child, who is now a young adult. So this guy was a foster parent? As a long time foster parent myself that just makes me roll my eyes...of course he was.

Maybe the "grandson" was in suspect's home as a foster situation (even if there is biological ties). And when the grandson was adopted out, the suspect took it personally.
ETA: Or perhaps that the grandson was adopted out INSTEAD of being placed in his home)

I believe as others have already stated, we will learn of substance abuse or mental health playing a part in this.

"As of Saturday, Crime scene tape still surrounds Cranston’s home on Main Street in Corry. JET 24/FOX 66’s Jennifer Mobilia spoke with a woman who said Cranston was her foster dad growing up."

and

"Cranston’s daughter believes the murder was a case of mistaken identity. She added the Amish couple who lived in Byler’s home a few years ago adopted Cranston’s grandson.

“Supposedly she started yelling at him, coming in, then that’s when boom, all it took. It’s just horrifying to think that,” she continued."
Wow I’m shocked - this is so terribly sad
JMO

What a horrible unnecessary death. He was out to kill someone that day. It could have been a little old lady in a wheelchair and he would have killed her,
He killed a visible pregnant woman with 2 little kids nearby. I hope he rots in hell.

What does the woman mean "she started yelling at him when he came in and that's all it took"? Is she talking about Rebekah?
Yes, that's my understanding. I take it as Rebekah likely yelled and screamed for him to get out of her home and he just shot her. This is the stuff of nightmares. Thank God he didn't kidnap or harm one or both of the children.

Ps It's bizarre to think a person would think that taking a gun and breaking into a house demanding his grandson back would bring any positivity to the situation. Even without the murder his violence would pretty much guarantee he would never see the child again. I don't understand.

Pps I can't imagine how the adoptive parents feel.

All MOO

Ps It's bizarre to think a person would think that taking a gun and breaking into a house demanding his grandson back would bring any positivity to the situation. Even without the murder his violence would pretty much guarantee he would never see the child again. I don't understand.

Same.

So he mistakenly thought this pregnant Amish mom had his bio grandson, and came armed and prepared to kill to get that child back with his family?

This would show the powers that be that he was a capable grandfather????
Or I suppose he had no intentions of dealing with the courts and was just going to hide the boy forever??????

What a tragedy at the hands of a violent lunatic.

R.I.P. Rebekah, and prayers for your family going forward.

Last edited:
Is this what Cranston is telling his family? That when Rebekah yelled at him, he had to kill her?

It also would seem she may have known who he was, so doubly alarming for her.

Is this what Cranston is telling his family? That when Rebekah yelled at him, he had to kill her?

I wonder if he went to the door, she answered, and maybe he pushed her aside and went in (to supposedly reclaim his grandson). And maybe she started yelling at him because he was a stranger in her house and she had two young children to protect so he just shot her? Speculation only.

I wonder when he realized he was attacking the wrong person and family, that he had murdered a complete stranger that had no connection to his grandson?

So shocking. So senseless.

I wonder if and for how long his family suspected he was the killer. I have to believe that they knew the backstory told by the foster daughter, and once seeing the address of the murdered woman, only an idiot would not have been able to put two and two together, especially with the widely known mention of a red Jeep, which, in the photo shown by a poster here, appeared to be parked BEHIND the house. Seems to me there may have been some people that knew something and seemingly remained quiet. JMO

His wife must have absolutely had some inkling something major was going to happen. Maybe not that he planned a murder, but that much anger surely must have been oozing out of his pores for days or weeks prior??

How does this former foster child know why he went there and what happened when he got there? Did this information about him being yelled at come from any other source?

There would be only one person who knew if she yelled at him or not. And what difference does it make anyway. No one is blaming her in any way for this terrible murder.

There would be only one person who knew if she yelled at him or not. And what difference does it make anyway. No one is blaming her in any way for this terrible murder.

And when would he have told his (now grown) foster daughter this information? Prior to him becoming a suspect? After his house was surrounded by LE? I kind of doubt it was after his arrest. Imo.

and

Her story does not hang together. I think the news station should have tried to verify much of her story. If the daughter is correct then SC would have been carrying this for months and months. The Bylers bought the home in October2023. So, did SC ever confront the Amish family who supposedly adopted his grandson? And when did the daughter last see SC? Without verification of her story, it is just not credible.

Wonder if the family that adopted SC's grandson moved because SC was previously a menace to them there? Had he stalked them or confronted them there, maybe often enough or terrifying enough that they thought it best and safest to move away?

Moo.

I wonder if he went to the door, she answered, and maybe he pushed her aside and went in (to supposedly reclaim his grandson). And maybe she started yelling at him because he was a stranger in her house and she had two young children to protect so he just shot her? Speculation only.

I wonder when he realized he was attacking the wrong person and family, that he had murdered a complete stranger that had no connection to his grandson?

So shocking. So senseless.
IMO, he wasn't a complete stranger. I think there is a good possiblity she knew who he was and maybe even why he would show up at her house. Property records reveal who the previous owners were, they were relatives of the couple. Surely the information about this guy was shared?

It seems he came prepared to take by force, but didn't make any effort to conceal who he was - in regards to driving his own very distintive red jeep. That was his demise for sure.

His facebook has interesting posts, that at a minimum reflect his character ...

FB Intro- I'm someone's worst nightmare if they mess with me and mine!​

Another post says - 2 things a man never forgets ... the people who crossed him, and the people that were there when he was down and out.

Also a couple of Veteran related posts, so maybe he served and suffered some effects.

Her story does not hang together. I think the news station should have tried to verify much of her story. If the daughter is correct then SC would have been carrying this for months and months. The Bylers bought the home in October2023. So, did SC ever confront the Amish family who supposedly adopted his grandson? And when did the daughter last see SC? Without verification of her story, it is just not credible.
While we certainly cannot take the reported story as fact at this time, I believe at least the gist of it will prove to be true. Truth is very often stranger than fiction. JMO

It took LE 5 days to arrest and charge the suspect, and I do not believe they only arrested him because he owns a red Jeep.

Last edited:
IMO, he wasn't a complete stranger. I think there is a good possiblity she knew who he was and maybe even why he would show up at her house. Property records reveal who the previous owners were, they were relatives of the couple. Surely the information about this guy was shared?

It seems he came prepared to take by force, but didn't make any effort to conceal who he was - in regards to driving his own very distintive red jeep. That was his demise for sure.

His facebook has interesting posts, that at a minimum reflect his character ...

FB Intro- I'm someone's worst nightmare if they mess with me and mine!​

Another post says - 2 things a man never forgets ... the people who crossed him, and the people that were there when he was down and out.

Also a couple of Veteran related posts, so maybe he served and suffered some effects.

I wonder then if maybe he didn't go there to snatch back his grandson, but to demand Rebekah give him the former owners new address?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avah
Back