PA PA - Shelley Luty, 19, Upper Darby, 23 Aug 1982

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Is it possible for Mish or Sharon to contact the Upper Darby police and ask about looking into Shelley's disappearance as a cold case?

Police Chief Michael Chitwood of Upper Darby is a seasoned former Detective from Philly. An excellent Detective. He had found Holly Maddux's body in that creep Ira Einhorn's house.

I'm not sure how cold cases work but it would be worth a try.

Also I was looking at news archives and found something about five women accosted back in 1982 between February and March. I don't have paid archives so can't get alot of information but figured to look as much as I could.

There's als the case of Nicholas Yarris who was wrongly accused for a murder. That was sensationalized. He has been freed. There's a mention by someone of the last name Craig who looked very similar to Yarris.

Just throwing this out there. Please, please know I keep praying Shelley will be found.

BTW this may be nothing but I noticed on the map Snackcakes provided there's an Earlington Avenue by the dinner. Could we be confusing Arlington with Earlington?

Also do any of you guys in Shelley's family know if her step-dad's car had a problem with tires?

Jenny and Sharon have you guys submitted DNA for matching?

awagner, you read my mind. Was coming to look for Shelley's thread, am thinking about her today. Jenny, Mish, and Sharon, I hope you find answers soon.

Does the Diner have a missing poster hanging there at all? I just wonder if a permanent missing poster hanging there would get any results. People that may have been afraid all those years ago to speak up might not be anymore if their conscience is juggled..

that's a great idea a poster in the diner. Could trigger a memory from someone saw something and it just didn't connect at the time, or maybe a kid who is now grown.

That Bensalem UID was 6 mo. pregnant, no mention of Shelly being pregnant. Off to see if Namus has the Bensalem lady, any healed skull fracture.

There are 4 golf courses within 2 miles of the Llanerch Diner.

The closest 2 are private country club courses. The farthest 2 courses are the Cobbs Creek and Karakung.

The farthest and largest were city-owned [Philly] in 1982.

They contain many wooded areas.

As children we grew up in those golf courses, exploring every nook and cranny, and we knew the entire areas better than the "Philadelphia Park Guards". There are many of out-of-the-way locations within the confines of the courses. When we found such areas it was easy to determine we were the only bipeds who traversed that ground. Heavy foliage, ferns, bushes, small trees, large trees .. each of any surrounding the others.

A Septa high-speed rail line parallels fully the 'west' boundary of the Cobbs Creek course. The rails run on a wide, raised-earth bed (varies 10'-16'). A car underpass separates the 2 courses.

Along the rail bed are 3 or 4 stone arch bridges (not for cars as there are no roads that cross along the boundary) for which to enable storm water to flow from Upper Darby, which parallels the west side of the rails. But note the underpass heights are enough to permit a vehicle to be driven through .. that is, if you could drive a vehicle to the locations.

It's been 25+ yrs since I've been to any of those underpasses (exploring). Have those locations ever been searched? Have any of the wooded areas been searched? I'd search there myself but in in 1998 I moved to the other side of the state.

I've attached a pic showing the location of the Llanerch Diner (yellow), the Cobbs Creek (blue), the rail line runs straight-path west of the creek, and the stone rail-bridge underpasses (red).

Attachments

• area.png
    area.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 48
O.K. I see now, Sharon. I am sorry. I didn't mean to imply you all definately had a psychic. I thought maybe by your asking about the park and Arlington you had.

Perhaps homes near that park in Upper Darby?

No harm in paying attention to those dreams.

Ya know what? Sharon, I just looked and there's Arlington Avenue in Upper Darby. For whatever reason you asked about Arlington cemetery and Naylor maybe it's actually all right in Upper Darby. Again, I don't know Delco too good, but it's possible. Also there's an Arlington Cemetery in Drexel Hill I just found. Not sure if you originally meant that or not.

You know what? This was all put in post #15. Sorry everyone for repeating it.

Hey Filly, I just wanted to clarify that there is an Arlington Cemetery in Upper Darby. It's actually across the street from Upper Darby High School, which is also near Naylor's Run.

I'm sorry Filly! I see that you understood that.

Now to Shelley's family. I am very sorry for your loss.

I do have a suggestion. If you live in the area still I would recommend making flyers and attempting to place them in the area's old bars, bars used by people who have lived in Upper Darby a long time. I know there are some on Chester Pike, Burmont Road, Long Lane and so on. I am not implying you would find whoever took her there, but I wonder if it may rattle some old memories and knock some witness or old friend of Shelley's back to the police with an important memory. I am curious if you could place any in the 69th street terminal too.

Thinking of Shelley today, and of her family. Mish, Sharon I hope and pray you find answers soon.

Just out of curiousity, was Llanerch diner known as being shady when Shelly disappeared? Had Shelly had problems with customers before?

Has anyone ever looked into whether there is a possible link between Shelley's case and the murder of Barbara Rowan in Bensalem, PA. Barbara went missing August 3rd 1984 and he remains we're found on August 16th 1984. She was 14 years old.

The reason that makes me think there could be a link is due to the fact that a dark green 1984 Chevy Impala was seen in the area. Also there was a man seen in the area that was in his 20's to 30's who was white with dark hair and dark complexion with a mustache that seems to match the description of the man seen talking with Shelley.

Incidentally, a couple of other girls disappeared from Bensalem during that time period. Tracy Bryd who was also 14 disappeared and has never been seen again. She was dropped off at Bensalem High School on March 3, 1983 by her mom's boyfriend but never made it to any classes. That same man was convicted of murdering her mom after she went missing several months after Tracy disappeared but from what I've read it seems that Bensalem detectives don't think he killed Tracy. Another girl Jeanette Tambe who was 22 disappeared from Bensalem in October 1984 and was found dead in 1986. She was not identified until 2012.

I know Bensalem is not real close to Upper Darby but it is certainly within a 40 minute drive. Also, I recognize the fact that the car in the Rowan case was dark green not mint green, but it could have been repainted or described a little differently. Perhaps all this means nothing or maybe was already looked into, but I have read about these cases and I felt I had to mention the possibility of a link.

Also, I am wondering if the family has ever thought about trying to contact Bradley Cooper to see if he could help bring attention to the case with his connection to the Llanerch Diner and the Philly area? I know that may seem like a longshot but it might be worth a shot.

My thoughts to all of the family and friends of Shelley.

Has anyone ever looked into whether there is a possible link between Shelley's case and the murder of Barbara Rowan in Bensalem, PA. Barbara went missing August 3rd 1984 and he remains we're found on August 16th 1984. She was 14 years old.

The reason that makes me think there could be a link is due to the fact that a dark green 1984 Chevy Impala was seen in the area. Also there was a man seen in the area that was in his 20's to 30's who was white with dark hair and dark complexion with a mustache that seems to match the description of the man seen talking with Shelley.

Incidentally, a couple of other girls disappeared from Bensalem during that time period. Tracy Bryd who was also 14 disappeared and has never been seen again. She was dropped off at Bensalem High School on March 3, 1983 by her mom's boyfriend but never made it to any classes. That same man was convicted of murdering her mom after she went missing several months after Tracy disappeared but from what I've read it seems that Bensalem detectives don't think he killed Tracy. Another girl Jeanette Tambe who was 22 disappeared from Bensalem in October 1984 and was found dead in 1986. She was not identified until 2012.

I know Bensalem is not real close to Upper Darby but it is certainly within a 40 minute drive. Also, I recognize the fact that the car in the Rowan case was dark green not mint green, but it could have been repainted or described a little differently. Perhaps all this means nothing or maybe was already looked into, but I have read about these cases and I felt I had to mention the possibility of a link.

Also, I am wondering if the family has ever thought about trying to contact Bradley Cooper to see if he could help bring attention to the case with his connection to the Llanerch Diner and the Philly area? I know that may seem like a longshot but it might be worth a shot.

My thoughts to all of the family and friends of Shelley.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/cri...cle_9cab2189-7e9b-5ca0-9619-037f5cc41bb0.html

There are some facts in this article that bother me but you now have me curious. I know this area well. I will have to look up the case to see more about little barbara but I see some issues with what is reported..

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hills89
Back