GUILTY PA - Sherry Leighty, 21, Altoona, 1 October 1999

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
At the risk of stating the obvious, Sherry looks QUITE young. When looking at Jane Doe's, I think I'd look from like 12 years old and up.

I have been looking basically in the adolescent to young adult but only one has really caught my attention. The problem is that the age is off a couple years, probably explained by her youthful look, but also the body wasn't discovered until 2006. It's on my consideration list.

I have been looking basically in the adolescent to young adult but only one has really caught my attention. The problem is that the age is off a couple years, probably explained by her youthful look, but also the body wasn't discovered until 2006. It's on my consideration list.

I believe her stats are that she is also a very small woman...

Is there anyone on here that can search if a divorce was truly granted to her estranged husband in October 1999 (one month after she went missing)?
Please advise if you can do this and if able to find anything. TIA

From this website .....

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/porta...736/pennsylvania_marriage_and_divorce_records

It looks that the county in which the divorce was given maintain the record. Shelly do you know which county the divorce most likely would have been filed in? I can call tomorrow and see if they are willing to email/fax me the records.

Wonder if it would be helpful/possible to do a driver's license check?

I believe it would be helpful, it should reveal any tickets or change of address. I would have certainly hoped LE would have checked this but it looks like they dropped the ball a few places anyways.

Kate, due to my lack of knowledge about searches for SSDI - does that mean you searched for it in JUST PA or does that mean 50 US states?

searched entire data base for that DOB,, with a SS# that had been issued in PA

Shelly, I am so sorry for what you and your family have been through! This definitely is a miscarriage of justice imo. Who would know someone better than their own family?! I wish we could get this featured on a TV program to get the word out. See if there are any witnesses. But being on Websleuths is a great start. I've even seen Websleuths featured on the show, Disappeared. Is there anyone here who knows if we could start a petition or get some momentum going in this case? I will write letters; I am just not sure who to write. Any ideas fellow Websleuthers?

Shelly, I am so sorry for what you and your family have been through! This definitely is a miscarriage of justice imo. Who would know someone better than their own family?! I wish we could get this featured on a TV program to get the word out. See if there are any witnesses. But being on Websleuths is a great start. I've even seen Websleuths featured on the show, Disappeared. Is there anyone here who knows if we could start a petition or get some momentum going in this case? I will write letters; I am just not sure who to write. Any ideas fellow Websleuthers?

There is a thread for the show Disappeared and Tricia gives the info on where to send stories to.

Investigation Discovery Disappeared Needs Your Stories - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I'll answer back since I am here.

SSDI is Social Security Death Index.

So this would only alert us if she was listed as deceased, not if her address has been changed? I honestly think I would be worth a family member getting in contact with social security to find out if an employer has updated her address.

There is a thread for the show Disappeared and Tricia gives the info on where to send stories to.

Investigation Discovery Disappeared Needs Your Stories - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Thank you! I will check it out and send info in to help. I think this case would be great on Disappeared to get her case recognized nationally. It may spark people's memory, at least I hope so. Is there anyway we could contact the local PD to show support that we want action on this case? I've never done this before so any advice is appreciated. I really want to help. I live very far away but if there is something I can do, I will.

I hate asking this but has Sherry been declared deceased? Can a sibling or any family member do that? Would this help Shelly to have Sherry declared deceased? I've seen other members talk about FOIA. I am thinking if there is no activity on her SSI number or a Drivers License this could be helpful.

can her congressperson help her check re activity on social security acct

I hate asking this but has Sherry been declared deceased? Can a sibling or any family member do that? Would this help Shelly to have Sherry declared deceased? I've seen other members talk about FOIA. I am thinking if there is no activity on her SSI number or a Drivers License this could be helpful.

From what I understand a driver license check hasn't been run and the SSN was only run to see if she has been declared deceased. (Unless I missed something). I don't know if that would be something that would be checked before declaring her deceased.

I'm not aware of any benefits of declaring her deceased, correct me if I'm wrong, but it's probably something that should wait to be done until both of those are checked. (DL and SSN). iMo. I believe that its 3-7 years of absence depending on the state before death in absentia can be declared. I'm sure declaring her deceased in absentia would decrease the difficulty for Shelly on accessing information but most of the information can be accessed after some work.

I'm not saying that I 100% believe Sherry is alive but I worry that what if Sherry was just really hiding out. I would have expected her to surface after so many years, but I would be concerned about how difficult it would be to make yourself "living" again.

can her congressperson help her check re activity on social security acct

Her sister can use the social security website to send a letter to the last known address on file and to the last employer. If she has not gotten a new job since she went missing it should go to her old addresses. If she is alive it should go to her new address, is she is using her ssn, and Sherry would decide to reply to the letter or not. SS will only do this once.

Did Sherry have any relatively unique hobbies or talents? Something that we might be able to seek out special interest groups to see if she belongs in them?

No she hasn't been declared deceased by any of her family.

Here's the newspaper article...

http://newspaperarchive.com/altoona-mirror/2000-02-18/page-5

Had Sherry already filed for a divorce before she went missing? I'm just confused as to why the judge allowed this to happen so quickly and why this wasn't suspicious to LE. I did some google research and found out that he would have had to post legal ads in the newspaper in notice to the divorce if she was just hiding. I'm seeing anywhere between a 60-90 day wait period. I can't find the newspaper notice or the waiting period. :waitasec:

I was told Sherry tried to file for divorce but he would't sign.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benjysmom
Back