GUILTY PA - Sherry Leighty, 21, Altoona, 1 October 1999

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Found this thread last night and wanted to help in some way...

I don't know what all has been done with media, etc.

I sent an email to Leah Kirstein with WTAJ out of Dubois. I remembered she covered the Devan Knapp case and seems like a compassionate journalist.

Maybe she can get some attention on this case or at least ruffle feathers with the local LE.

I hope she responds and can help.

I sent an email to Leah Kirstein with WTAJ out of Dubois. I remembered she covered the Devan Knapp case and seems like a compassionate journalist.

Maybe she can get some attention on this case or at least ruffle feathers with the local LE.

Thanks so much for your help. I can't say it enough, I am very appreciative of everyones help.

Ah, you just gave me an idea ! Did the x HUB re marry ? If so, how did his marriage to sherry end? See? He either had to prove her ....... missing .....or abandonment on her children or something. So I'm betting he's remarried in all this time, so I wonder what his status was just prior to re marrying !

He has never remarried.

searched the SSDI for that DOB & SS# issued in PA

rule that out...no Sherry or Jean

He has never remarried.

So we should see if he's still legally married to her or if he ever filed any type of
divorce or abandonment or somehow tried to legally recognize her gone as in...... crap, I don't even know what I'm trying to say. I hope someone does. But I know like in order to get a divorce from someone who's missing, you have to have them legally declared dead after so much time has passed , like 3 years or something.

Keep us posted of any/all replies! I'm tracking everything so we can have a master document to know who we've solicited for help and their response, etc. Kind of like a check list of sorts... TY

searched the SSDI for that DOB & SS# issued in PA

rule that out...no Sherry or Jean

Kate, due to my lack of knowledge about searches for SSDI - does that mean you searched for it in JUST PA or does that mean 50 US states?

This was the only one I could find close. Sherry has no dentals available and no DNA has been submitted. There would be no way to rule out without DNA.

jmo

OK here's where we need to give Shelly some accurate information about how to go about obtaining appropriate DNA for NAMUS.

I'm not sure of that answer, but apparently Shelly has "offered" to submit her DNA - but the APD has not taken her up on it. I think if we give Shelly the information and tools, she can maybe bypass the APD just to get it done -- if we can help guide her in how she can accomplish that ???? Anyone know or have anyone to pop in and advise?

Thanks!

So we should see if he's still legally married to her or if he ever filed any type of
divorce or abandonment or somehow tried to legally recognize her gone as in...... crap, I don't even know what I'm trying to say. I hope someone does. But I know like in order to get a divorce from someone who's missing, you have to have them legally declared dead after so much time has passed , like 3 years or something.

One of the articles stated that he did obtain a divorce - I THINK it was in 1999 (if my memory serves me right) and that it was only a few months after the disappearance? Shelly - does that sound about right or was it in 2000 ? Do you remember?

SherryLeightyUNSOLVEDMISSINGsince1999-AltoonaPA_001_zps5bbc1b11.jpg

One of the articles stated that he did obtain a divorce - I THINK it was in 1999 (if my memory serves me right) and that it was only a few months after the disappearance? Shelly - does that sound about right or was it in 2000 ? Do you remember?

In the first newspaper article, which was in Feb 2000, it states that he was granted full custody & a divorce in Oct. so that would have to be in 1999. Which seems kind of fast if you ask me.

I believe local LE has to provide that info to Namus but, in her situation I would contact Namus and explain that DNA has been offered but LE isn't interested in entering the DNA. I would hope they would be able to provide Shelly with some sort of workaround, or possibly talk to local LE to get things moving along. There is no reason not to have the DNA entered.

Here's what I assume is their typical "protocol" for DNA collection. It basically looks like Shelly's DNA would be put into CODIS. I know some people in the past have had strange thoughts on this because it is not clear if your DNA will be in the pool of people that are run for criminals or just for Jane/John Does.

https://identifyus.org/help/NamUs-DNA_Protocol_for_Collection.pdf

Contact Info:
For assistance please contact:
Evidence Custodian
Toll-Free: 800-763-3147
email: missingpersons@unthsc.edu

In the first newspaper article, which was in Feb 2000, it states that he was granted full custody & a divorce in Oct. so that would have to be in 1999. Which seems kind of fast if you ask me.

Wait they granted divorce after she was missing only a month?? I can understand full custody but IMO something is really strange there.

At the risk of stating the obvious, Sherry looks QUITE young. When looking at Jane Doe's, I think I'd look from like 12 years old and up.

Here's the newspaper article...

http://newspaperarchive.com/altoona-mirror/2000-02-18/page-5

Had Sherry already filed for a divorce before she went missing? I'm just confused as to why the judge allowed this to happen so quickly and why this wasn't suspicious to LE. I did some google research and found out that he would have had to post legal ads in the newspaper in notice to the divorce if she was just hiding. I'm seeing anywhere between a 60-90 day wait period. I can't find the newspaper notice or the waiting period. :waitasec:

Is there anyone on here that can search if a divorce was truly granted to her estranged husband in October 1999 (one month after she went missing)?
Please advise if you can do this and if able to find anything. TIA

Wonder if it would be helpful/possible to do a driver's license check?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benjysmom
Back