GUILTY PA - Timothy Piazza, 19, Dies In Penn State Frat Hazing, 2 Feb 2017 *arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Does the following mean that they were in the basement for one hour and 10 minutes (without being filmed) before they came back up the basement stairs. If so, what occurred during that one hour and 10 minutes?

Samuel Black was the last pledge to go down to the basement after the "shotgun station".

This time period of the pledges being in the basement, and not being filmed, must have concerned the Grand Jury because they expressed the "one hour and ten minutes". They must have thought it was important. This is just my opinion but it certainly looks that way to me.

From the Grand Jury presentment:

"#167. Grand Juror members saw no further gauntlet stations captured on camera; however, by 22:31 camera time (approximately one hour and ten minutes after Black concludes at the shotgun station) the tape shows pledges starting to return from the basement showing visible signs of intoxication."

Bolding by me

I don't even want to think what unimaginable horrors were going on down in that basement that it was the only area the cameras were turned off.

Sure does sound like premeditatation! Maybe not for manslaughter, but they knew they were going to be doing things they did NOT want proof of!

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Any speculation on why they had cameras in the first place?

Good question.

I'm sure others will have some ideas... I can only think back to not super long ago when I was in college, and the parties. Fraternities had so many people coming through the houses on any given day or night. It's possible they wanted to keep an eye on people. I can imagine there are times when people wander through the house and possibly steal?

I'm sure there could be more reasons. Anyone?

Good question.

I'm sure others will have some ideas... I can only think back to not super long ago when I was in college, and the parties. Fraternities had so many people coming through the houses on any given day or night. It's possible they wanted to keep an eye on people. I can imagine there are times when people wander through the house and possibly steal?

I'm sure there could be more reasons. Anyone?

Do we know if fraternity members had the option to turn the cameras off? If so I'm surprised they were left on to film the hazing.

Hello Neesaki,

During the 2006/2007 renovation the surveillance system was installed for security.

From what I have learned, many fraternities have surveillance cameras installed in their common rooms and around the grounds of the house. For security and also to see who is the house, from what I have understood.

From article (below):

"The Beta Theta Pi house had eight or nine cameras, one for nearly every room in the house, in full color and full broadcast quality, Centre County District Attorney Stacy Parks Miller said, capturing much of what happened to Piazza in the roughly 12 hours after his fall. Parks Miller said Piazza’s skin had turned gray by morning, which was especially noticeable in the final 40 minutes before the 911 call -- the time period prosecutors call the "cover-up" -- during which the students allegedly wanted to make Piazza appear healthier than he was by trying to dress him in clean clothes."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/penn-state-frat-pledges-skin-turned-gray-morning/story?id=47294085

I have a question about the sentence I bolded. Does "full broadcast quality" mean that there was audio? Thanks in advance!

http://news.psu.edu/story/202798/20...boosts-beta-house-restoration-and-greek-pride

From above article:

"Located at 220 N. Burrowes Road, the house was built by the Betas in 1929. The restoration project impacts every part of the house: plumbing, electrical, security, floors, walls, ceilings, sprinklers, roofing, bathrooms, study areas (complete with internet access, copiers, and fax machines), landscaping, increased parking, kitchen additions, new heating and air-conditioning equipment, new furniture in every room, major appliances and more. The work is scheduled for completion in 2007."

I bolded the word "security"

I apologize that this post is off topic, however I believe within the lawsuit documents there will be detailed information about the security system. This is the reason I have posted this message.

Donald Abbey, who provided the millions to renovate the frat house, has, along with other Alumni, sued for either his money returned or a lien against the house (looks like a mansion to me!)

http://wjactv.com/news/local/beta-theta-pi-sweeps

This hazing nonsense needs to be banned from all universities. A better term would be torturing or assault, because in reality, that's what it is. What's the point? To think that this still goes on after the deaths that have occurred over the years because of this practice is just mind boggling---and yet it's allowed. I'm guessing as individuals, most of these young men would have had more compassion and called for help for a stranger on the street if they found a person in the condition that this young man was in. But the pack mentality brought out the criminal element in all of them. Forget the peer pressure aspect---any one of them could have stepped into a bathroom and called 911 for help--- but no one did. And when 911 was finally called? The urgency in the voice of the person calling was on par with ordering a pizza---if even. They all need to serve time in jail. No tuition, no books to buy, and a good education on 'how to be a decent member of society'. In addition, when they get out of jail, they should all be required to go to campuses a few times per year and give lectures entitled ''How I Allowed Someone to be Killed in 2017".

If any of them get off with a slap on the wrist, a precedent will be set and this crap will never stop.

This hazing nonsense needs to be banned from all universities.

Apologies my device clipped your post. (I can't seem to undo it )

Anyway, I agree with all of what you said.

Sorry for posting links without excerpts. My phone is acting up. This poor guy.... this is why more people don't report.

http://www.philly.com/philly/education/fratstoryheadline.html?mobi=true

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

From your link:

“It is important to understand that fraternities at Penn State are independent from the university,” Powers said. “These groups are private organizations on private property, and self-governed.”

Doesn't Penn State have a student code of conduct? The university I attended certainly does and if they got wind of this kind of activity, the students would have been expelled from the university in no time flat. It appears that Penn State has been aware of this kind of activity for years and yet have done nothing except offer their condolences when someone dies.

When are these ruthless gang members scheduled to go to trial, if anyone knows?

From your link:

“It is important to understand that fraternities at Penn State are independent from the university,” Powers said. “These groups are private organizations on private property, and self-governed.”

Doesn't Penn State have a student code of conduct? The university I attended certainly does and if they got wind of this kind of activity, the students would have been expelled from the university in no time flat. It appears that Penn State has been aware of this kind of activity for years and yet have done nothing except offer their condolences when someone dies.

When are these ruthless gang members scheduled to go to trial, if anyone knows?

Code of Conduct: Go to page 11 re: hazing.
http://media.wix.com/ugd/a2f4cc_2ee352e9502641ada0dbbf3f5f7c0646.pdf

The date for the preliminary hearing is scheduled for May 17th (next Wednesday).

We will have more information on trials, depending on what occurs at the preliminary hearing on Wednesday.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back