Found Deceased PA - White Haven, 'Beth Doe' & Unborn Baby 169UFPA, 16-22, Dec'76 *Evelyn Colon* *Arrest* #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Doesn't the probability that the company packing material was left inside suggest the possibility that the killer or co-conspirator or whoever got the bags, actually worked at Nichols? Then again, it could be the manufacturer which we haven't found but I'd say they're in northern New Jersey based on the newspaper inside.
Wondering now if a motel, hotel or lodging of some sort ect. in the NJ area, might provide guests with the NYS newspaper AND have chenille bedspreads on the beds? speculation, imo.

Wondering now if a motel, hotel or lodging of some sort ect. in the NJ area, might provide guests with the NYS newspaper AND have chenille bedspreads on the beds? speculation, imo.

I've always pictured a hunting cabin with a garage or shed for hanging and processing game, where he could kill his wife and have plenty of privacy for doing what he did.

What need would there be for hiding the body in luggage? Every case I've heard of (one includes relative of someone who worked where I do), the killer lived in the city, usually in an apartment. The suitcases were used to get the body out of the building, and into a vehicle, without causing suspicion. The dismemberment was done in the bathtub.

What need would there be for hiding the body in luggage? Every case I've heard of (one includes relative of someone who worked where I do), the killer lived in the city, usually in an apartment. The suitcases were used to get the body out of the building, and into a vehicle, without causing suspicion. The dismemberment was done in the bathtub.

Yeah, so many remains wrapped in shower curtains :(

But the need to move the body presumably applies no matter where the crime takes place. If they were a married couple at their hunting cabin, he couldn't take a chance on leaving her anywhere near where he might be recognized and connected. But he wouldn't want to be driving around with a body in the car in case he was stopped. In one or more suitcases would be much safer. Also makes it quicker to just heave the cases out of the car without looking or possibly even fully stopping.

I certainly am not wedded to that scenario, either. It's just one of many possibilities.

I've often wondered if the fire at the former Carbon County Poor House was more than just coincidence. The call came in at 12:30am on 12/20/76 - 16 hours before the suitcases and bodies were found. A fire is a good way to get rid of evidence. (wild speculation here).

Ironically, the Poor House Cemetery is where Beth & Baby are interred.

31 Dec 1969, - at Newspapers.com

Date on link is incorrect. The actual clipping is from Standard-Speaker
Hazleton, Pennsylvania

21 Dec 1976, Tue • Page 12

Attachments

• Beth Doe - Poor House Fire.JPG
    Beth Doe - Poor House Fire.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Beth Doe - Poor House Fire Img.JPG
    Beth Doe - Poor House Fire Img.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
I THINK putting the body in suitcases, if pulled over, would give the illusion of someone traveling. This person prob would have been familiar with that general area. Maybe through vacationing, hunting, ect.

If he traveled far, he'd have crossed numerous bridges over rivers. Did he pick this one because it has a separate bridge for each lane, or because it was close and the first one he crossed. He did seem hurried. They think he or an accomplice dumped the cases while moving. I also think he painted the suitcases because he thought they were identifiable as coming from Nichols Discount City, who hired local manufacturers for their discount goods, and maybe he or they had a connection to the store, perhaps a nearby location in PA.

And the shot to the neck: I'm guessing it's to help remove the head. Again it seems like he's in a hurry. You'd think he'd only use a gun in an isolated area but I still think it's possible he could have got away with firing a gun inside a room in town.

If he traveled far, he'd have crossed numerous bridges over rivers. Did he pick this one because it has a separate bridge for each lane, or because it was close and the first one he crossed. He did seem hurried. They think he or an accomplice dumped the cases while moving. I also think he painted the suitcases because he thought they were identifiable as coming from Nichols Discount City, who hired local manufacturers for their discount goods, and maybe he or they had a connection to the store, perhaps a nearby location in PA.

And the shot to the neck: I'm guessing it's to help remove the head. Again it seems like he's in a hurry. You'd think he'd only use a gun in an isolated area but I still think it's possible he could have got away with firing a gun inside a room in town.

It might have been the first one he came to when there wasn't much traffic around to notice what he was doing. But that's one of the reasons I think he didn't come from very far away.

BBM

Kind of unrelated to what you posted, but a long-standing thought of mine with regard to this case is that someone drove the getaway vehicle with another person in the car, who was there to throw the suitcases containing the remains out of the window.

I have a sneaking suspicion that they were probably a male and a female, but multiple males or multiple females is still a very real possibility, IMO.

BBM

Kind of unrelated to what you posted, but a long-standing thought of mine with regard to this case is that someone drove the getaway vehicle with another person in the car, who was there to throw the suitcases containing the remains out of the window.

I have a sneaking suspicion that they were probably a male and a female, but multiple males or multiple females is still a very real possibility, IMO.

It is possible he did it all by himself, but he would have to be pretty strong to drive down the highway with one hand and throw three suitcases out the window with the other. Also there might be a religious reason in the way she was murdered Ezekiel 23:25 talks about removing the nose and ears of unfaithful women. He might have found out the child wasnt his after he made her go get a DNA test.

It is possible he did it all by himself, but he would have to be pretty strong to drive down the highway with one hand and throw three suitcases out the window with the other. Also there might be a religious reason in the way she was murdered Ezekiel 23:25 talks about removing the nose and ears of unfaithful women. He might have found out the child wasnt his after he made her go get a DNA test.

Her breasts were also removed and (along with nose and ears) were not found at the scene.

I don't believe for a second that the car was moving when the suitcases were thrown. I've seen that theory on a variety of blogs but never have I heard from LE that they thought the car was in motion while the killer was tossing the suitcases. Do they think the car was traveling on I-80 WB - yes. But that doesn't mean they think the car never stopped moving. IMO, the killer probably saw the sign on the side of the road that says Lehigh River, stopped the car and threw the suitcases over the guard rail, figuring they'd land in the river.

CCJD said:
I don't believe for a second that the car was moving when the suitcases were thrown. I've seen that theory on a variety of blogs but never have I heard from LE that they thought the car was in motion while the killer was tossing the suitcases. Do they think the car was traveling on I-80 WB - yes. But that doesn't mean they think the car never stopped moving. IMO, the killer probably saw the sign on the side of the road that says Lehigh River, stopped the car and threw the suitcases over the guard rail, figuring they'd land in the river.

Now that I think of it, I also am not sure how feasible it would have been for someone, even a passenger and much less someone who is actively driving, to throw three (probably heavy and cumbersome) suitcases out of a moving vehicle in rapid enough succession to where they all landed in the same general area.

OMG!!!! I could cry!

Carbon County Cold Case Arrest: Man charged with homicide 44 years later | ABC27

Posted: Mar 31, 2021 / 03:44 PM EDT / Updated: Mar 31, 2021 / 03:45 PM EDT

EAST SIDE BOROUGH, CARBON COUNTY (WBRE/WYOU) — A New York man is charged with criminal homicide after two bodies were identified almost 45 years after they were first discovered on the bank of the Lehigh River in Carbon County, Pa.

According to a press release from Pennsylvania State Police, the bodies were found on December 20, 1976 in East Side Borough, Carbon County. The two bodies were a female and a near-term fetus.

The remains have been identified as Evelyn Colon, 15, of Jersey City, New Jersey.

Luis Sierra, 63, of Ozone Park, New York, has been charged with one count of criminal homicide after numerous interviews and investigational processes were conducted following Colon’s identification.

Sierra is in custody and awaiting extradition.

Sierra was 19 at the time Colon was found in 1976.

State police said they will provide more details on the case in the near future.

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG!!!! I could cry!

Carbon County Cold Case Arrest: Man charged with homicide 44 years later | ABC27

Posted: Mar 31, 2021 / 03:44 PM EDT / Updated: Mar 31, 2021 / 03:45 PM EDT

EAST SIDE BOROUGH, CARBON COUNTY (WBRE/WYOU) — A New York man is charged with criminal homicide after two bodies were identified almost 45 years after they were first discovered on the bank of the Lehigh River in Carbon County, Pa.

According to a press release from Pennsylvania State Police, the bodies were found on December 20, 1976 in East Side Borough, Carbon County. The two bodies were a female and a near-term fetus.

The remains have been identified as Evelyn Colon, 15, of Jersey City, New Jersey.

Luis Sierra, 63, of Ozone Park, New York, has been charged with one count of criminal homicide after numerous interviews and investigational processes were conducted following Colon’s identification.

Sierra is in custody and awaiting extradition.

I was just coming to post. I saw it on the Beth Doe FB page. I can’t believe she finally had her name back. I am also had they found out who did this horrendous crime.

This is crazyyyyy!
Isotopes seems like we're again off.
Anyway what it matters is she finally has her name back and Evelyn and her daughter can rest in peace between the angels.
She was just 15! How sad :/
I bet the suspect is father of the baby too

This is crazyyyyy!
Isotopes seems like we're again off.
Anyway what it matters is she finally has her name back and Evelyn and her daughter can rest in peace between the angels.
She was just 15! How sad :/
I bet the suspect is father of the baby too
Most likely, I had a feeling that the newspaper was such a great lead.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpond1972
Back