Pageant Kids: A Rant

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
wenchie said:
Enrichment programs from the local college now qualify as "homeschooling"?
My daughter learns math, grammar, vocabulary, composition, spelling, science, History, Latin, chess, art, music, health and physical education, and home economics from a variety of sources. She has consistently scored in the top 10th of the top 1% on nationally normed achievement testing given by a psychologist for the last 2 years.

openminded1 said:
My daughter learns math, grammar, vocabulary, composition, spelling, science, History, Latin, chess, art, music, health and physical education, and home economics from a variety of sources. She has consistently scored in the top 10th of the top 1% on nationally normed achievement testing given by a psychologist for the last 2 years.
You're fighting a losing battle with people who may not entirely understand that homeschooling doesn't mean that you teach your child everything but rather that you are in charge of organizing what your child learns and is exposed to. You're in charge of that instead of the government. I find that a comforting thought.

southcitymom said:
I feel like the "little bubble" comment was unreasonably disparaging. The reality is that we ALL live in our own little bubble of experience and opinion...and still, there remains a big world out there.
Very well said. I love the fact that this world is full of people with different opinions and different viewpoints. We have all lived different lives, yet all of us are here on this message board because we have a similar hobby (or for most of us it is a hobby) of following criminal cases. All our differing life experiences provide new ways of looking at the same information. This is something that should be celebrated- not argued about to the point people feel the need to defend how *they* choose to live their lives!

Brefie said:
I agree, but how would you handle this if your child just HAD to do these things?
I wouldn't know where to begin!!

I don't know the answer to that one. There's so much emphasis put on those sports now that the kids want to do it to "belong".

And I guess I'm living in the past. There weren't many organized sports for girls when I was a kid, but we rode bikes & horses, ran around, played backyard softball, roller skated and climbed trees.

southcitymom said:
You're fighting a losing battle with people who may not entirely understand that homeschooling doesn't mean that you teach your child everything but rather that you are in charge of organizing what your child learns and is exposed to. You're in charge of that instead of the government. I find that a comforting thought.

Good point.

I've lurked on some homeschooling boards, and was astounded at the lack of education of the parents who thought they were going to teach their kids.

I don't personally know any home-schoolers.

Personally, I am happy for the education. I have always 'quietly' wondered if homeschooled kids were missing out on the social aspect of regular schooling. On the flip side, I have always felt that homeschooled kids were protected from these deranged folks who just love to open fire at schools for no reason.

celia said:
Oh puleezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..
Jonbenet is an easy example...

She couldnt read, but had a large repotoire(sp) of song & dance routines , off pat....
She had to wear underwear that corresponded with the correct day of the week....

Please tell me how any of this suggests the "normal" lifestyle , for a 6 yr old...?????????

Kids learn to read at different ages. I was 4, my son was 5. My daughter had to be in Title I in first grade, she still couldn't read at 7. She scored very high in reading as a 7th grader on proficiency tests so it hasn't hurt her in the end.

Days of the Week Underwear abnormal? Those have been around for how long? I would hate for someone to nitpick every flippin thing I do as a parent the way Patsy is scrutinized. So far, Burke seems to have turned out all right.

wenchie said:
I don't know the answer to that one. There's so much emphasis put on those sports now that the kids want to do it to "belong".

And I guess I'm living in the past. There weren't many organized sports for girls when I was a kid, but we rode bikes & horses, ran around, played backyard softball, roller skated and climbed trees.

Aaaah, the simple life before computers and game boys.

I know my future kids will despise me for a while as all of the things you mentioned will be almost insisted upon rather than allow them to sit before a screen all night every night.

I think all kids are pretty cool. Some bad cirumstances and home lives that really suck for them. But most kids have something to give and for us to learn from. You just have to be able to talk to them in "their" language". I have learned to skateboard, dance, rap, (pretty bad) and goth kids are some of the most intelligent. So I don't judge a book by the cover.

We should be fortunate that our kids are healthy and able to enjoy life as they see it. As long as they aren't on drugs or booze. I really think you are ahead. EDUCATION TOO!

wenchie said:
Good point.

I've lurked on some homeschooling boards, and was astounded at the lack of education of the parents who thought they were going to teach their kids.

I don't personally know any home-schoolers.
I know quite a few...but I also live in Atlanta which has a large, well-organized homeschooling population. I have considered homeschooling myself and may join the ranks one day! You don't have to know a lot about everything to homeschool your children well, you just have to know your children well and to be willing to lovingly direct their paths, so to speak.

julia said:
I think all kids are pretty cool. Some bad cirumstances and home lives that really suck for them. But most kids have something to give and for us to learn from. You just have to be able to talk to them in "their" language". I have learned to skateboard, dance, rap, (pretty bad) and goth kids are some of the most intelligent. So I don't judge a book by the cover.

We should be fortunate that our kids are healthy and able to enjoy life as they see it. As long as they aren't on drugs or booze. I really think you are ahead. EDUCATION TOO!

Bravo

hollyjokers said:
Days of the Week Underwear abnormal? .

HECK NO! I know you were not the one questioning this, but good God, is there no innocence left in anything???

I think a Ramsey did it - no question. I would LOVE to be proved wrong. I think Patsy was all kinds of things and I question many aspects of her parenting, but I think some go too far.

I can't believe that people will not get over that she said, "I loved that child"
I refer to children I love like that all the time, it means nothing bad and is said with much love. Personally, I think it boils down to 'regional dialect'.

Brefie said:
Personally, I am happy for the education. I have always 'quietly' wondered if homeschooled kids were missing out on the social aspect of regular schooling. On the flip side, I have always felt that homeschooled kids were protected from these deranged folks who just love to open fire at schools for no reason.
Again, a lot of this depends on the community - I live in an area where homeschoolers spend a lot of time with each other, so there's plenty of socialization going on. If you live in a sparsely populated rural area and homeschool, you would have to work a little harder to get together with other like-minded folks.

There is a history to day-of-the-week underwear.

At one time, it was considered to be a luxury to have 7 pair of underpants, and having day-of-the-week ones would be proof that you had attained the status where you had a pair for each day of the week.

It was also proof that you weren't wearing the same panties for two days in a row!

wenchie said:
There is a history to day-of-the-week underwear.

At one time, it was considered to be a luxury to have 7 pair of underpants, and having day-of-the-week ones would be proof that you had attained the status where you had a pair for each day of the week.

It was also proof that you weren't wearing the same panties for two days in a row!

LOL - you are too funny!

Seriously! I read that somewhere....a long time ago....before the internet.

DAY OF THE WEEK UNDERWEAR ( A MYSTERY )

Do you remember “day-of-the-week” underwear?
Sunday through Saturday - each day has a pair,
no need to look, always seven, not a one to spare.
Always given as a Christmas gift… how unfair!
What ten-year-old girl wants day-of-the-week underwear?

Each day is embroidered on your panties with flare,
so pretty in ruffles and lace, let the wearer beware,
for they tickle and my bottom itched awfully I swear
making me squirm and wiggle when stuck in a chair.
What ten-year-old girl needs day-of-the-week underwear?

Not wearing Sunday on Sunday always gave me a scare,
to wear the wrong day, well, I just didn’t dare!
The underwear fairy might get angry, no time to prepare
causing something terrible to strike any time, anywhere.
What ten-year-old girl confuses day-of-the-week underwear?

What was a mystery to me and brought such despair
was when Monday’s pair fell apart causing me to err
by wearing Tuesday’s on a Monday… a dangerous affair!
Rather than risk the fairy’s fury my little butt went bare!
What ten-year-old-girl goes without day-of-the- week underwear?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kels1221
Back