Pair Claims Buffet Restaurant Banned Them For Hearty Eating

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well, the funny thing is, if they were sticking to crab legs and frog legs, that would be a pretty good diet strategy!

I'm not weighing in, Jbean, how about you? I say we boycott BUZZ. :innocent:
heehhee I could never boycott Buzz. I love him the most when he is corny.

Having said that, Houma is an oilfield town, solidly blue collar, as someone already mentioned.

I'm quite familiar with the area...Houma, Montegut, Chauvin, Thibodaux, Chackbay, Raceland, et al ... I operated out of the ole Blimp Base back in 60's for a few.

There's a bunch of good people down here, salt of the earth types...but, like anywhere else, there's some cretins as well.

Jbean,\why no chinese? Just curious!!!!!!!!!!
It's just not my thing. I am kind of a picky eater, in that I like things simple with no sauce and kind of plain. Don't like seafood or steak either.

People are implying they don't like buffets because people pile their plates high with food (piggish behavior is what I call that) and don't eat all they take and "make a mess". What adjectives would you use to describe such things? I'd call the patrons at an all you can eat buffett who did that piggish, (or greedy) and if they made a mess slobs too.

I'm not badmouthing them, (ETA: The people in the news story) I doubt they did make a mess, probably they just ate a lot of the food they liked, and I think the restraurant was stupid to put high dollar items on an all you can eat buffett. Look at my first post. That is what I think should have been done to handle it.

ETA2: I was addressing two things with my posts, the news story, and the behaviors described by other posters at buffets. I hope I've clarified well enough now?

As far as calling ANYTHING a "buffet" or "people who pile their plates high" I WOULD call it a buffet....piggish, no, a PIG is an animal...some people MAY eat more than they should yes, but DOES that make them an "animal?" NO!!!!!!!
They also may have less than prefered-manners but does that make them a freakin' animal? Sheesh!
What would I CALL SUCH ACTS? I would call it eating till you get full...whether you are over-weight or not...alot of people would probably look down on these people but SO WHAT...these people aren't paying for these eaters food...they are paying for THEIR food...and as MOST AMERICANS ( don't know about othwer countires) know a "buffet" is "PAY ONE PRICE, EAT TILL YOU"RE FULL."
I myself have NEVER seen a buffet sign that said "eat what you want" (except high dollar items) or (except what "others") will think of as piggish"...plz give me a break...no matter WHAT THE BUFFET....a buffet is one price, no matter what...

I'm quite familiar with the area...Houma, Montegut, Chauvin, Thibodaux, Chackbay, Raceland, et al ... I operated out of the ole Blimp Base back in 60's for a few.

There's a bunch of good people down here, salt of the earth types...but, like anywhere else, there's some cretins as well.

Gonzo, we've got to be best buds in some former life. Where the heck is Greater Frog leg or where-ever you are from? My hubby is a pet. engineer (who isn't in Louisiana?) and we've lived everywhere. Everywhere. And of course, that translates into: We've eaten in just about every restaurant Louisiana, Texas, (Oklahoma and a couple other states) have to offer. Louisiana is the best, though. The best food in the south, probably in the world!

It's just not my thing. I am kind of a picky eater, in that I like things simple with no sauce and kind of plain. Don't like seafood or steak either.

Apostate. :p

Why are people assuming this was an "all you can eat" buffet? Kind of scary how we as Americans are trained this way.

In my opinion, the original purpose of any buffet is so you can sample many different things, as opposed to just selecting a single dish. Americans have seem to have twisted this around to thinking they can eat more than a reasonable amount.

I've never had the stomach to eat more than 2-3 platefuls of food at a Chinese or an Indian buffet, and even then I am completely full and guilt-ridden. I suppose in my case I did have "all I can eat", and even then some, but it sounds like these men were taking advantage of this place, seeing as they patronized this establishment 3 times a week.

Haha thanks for the tip Gonzo. I don't eat Chinese food anyway, but Cajun CHinese food sounds even worse.:p

Oh, so there is someone else besides me that doesn't eat chinese or seafood. :dance:

Why are people assuming this was an "all you can eat" buffet? Kind of scary how we as Americans are trained this way.

In my opinion, the original purpose of any buffet is so you can sample many different things, as opposed to just selecting a single dish. Americans have seem to have twisted this around to thinking they can eat more than a reasonable amount.

I've never had the stomach to eat more than 2-3 platefuls of food at a Chinese or an Indian buffet, and even then I am completely full and guilt-ridden. I suppose in my case I did have "all I can eat", and even then some, but it sounds like these men were taking advantage of this place, seeing as they patronized this establishment 3 times a week.
I love indian food, and if I was to find a good establishment in the area with the stuff, I would definetly eat at least 2 platefuls at a sitting. SORRY. but when we had a good resturant open here, even though they had a "buffet", i usually ordered a plate and they brought it out and it was a HUGE platter that i ended up splitting and taking home. but it was a huge portion.
but buffet wise, they give you little bitty plates, so that would equal about two plates for me or the big platter. anyway, when it comes to indian food, I just love the stuff. and the cheese nan is to die for. mmmmmm

do the charge less if you eat less?

This is one of the main reasons I do not like buffets. I never eat my "money's worth." I do not like seafood so I can't even eat the expensive stuff etc... I only eat one meal a day as it is and a buffet is just overpriced for me. Of course, for what it is worth, I am overweight and I am sure they think I will eat them out of house and home... I should start asking for a refud for the portion I do not eat, haha. If a buffet is lableled as all you can eat then that is what it should be.

Plus, as a rule, I try to stay away from places where I have to serve myself, or that have "sneeze guards." buffets are gross to me since most people let their kids run free through them and I see kids digging in after they had their fingers in their noses etc... I only eat the stuff I see putting out at that moment IF I AM FORCED to go to a buffet. Even my kids watch what other kids do and try to stay far away from where the other kids have been! haha

I don't think that just because someone is overweight we can assume they stuff themselves to capacity with poor manners.. I think it's simple more calories in than out. All kinds of eating equations can lead to obesity.
I think you said it right in your post, you are not greedy.But I do think that is what these people are.
The fact that they are overweight is almost irrelevent IMO. I don't think this is about weight as much as it is about greed and waste.
ETA: and about the cost of running a business.

I don't think that just because someone is overweight we can assume they stuff themselves to capacity with poor manners.. I think it's simple more calories in than out. All kinds of eating equations can lead to obesity.
I think you said it right in your post, you are not greedy.But I do think that is what these people are.
The fact that they are overweight is almost irrelevent IMO. I don't think this is about weight as much as it is about greed and waste.
ETA: and about the cost of running a business.

:clap: Exactly! :blowkiss: I never said anything about their weight meaning they have bad manners, (I halfway defended their weight by posting BMI information, in fact, pointing out that while they were obese, they weren't morbidly so.) and in fact some of the worst culprits of "bad buffet manners" I have seen were RAIL THIN! I think some people are just ready to see an insult, maybe they like to feel all outraged, so that is why they are so eagerly searching for them? :waitasec:

OMG you sound SO much like my hubby...he won't eat mayo, sour cream or anything like such...for me, if it's not loaded or at least wettened with SOME kinda sauce such a mayo, vinegar, arbys' sauce, horseradish or something of the like, it's just NO good...gotta have it loaded down here...
neither does my hubby like steak, seafood, or such...we went to Red Lobster once and ended up in a HUGE fight because he didn't LIKE ANYTHING he ordered....oh my was I angry...maybe I shouldn't have been before we went BUT he told me he liked shrimp & crab legs...in he end he liked NOTHING.....we ended up in a HUGE fight which ended with him throwing his engagement ring through-out the parking lot....whatever, sheesh he even ended up ordereing CEASER SALAD...which lo and behold, he DIND't like....also his daughter (12) who ordered crab alfredo, which she SWORE she had tried before....what do u know, neither hubby or his daughter liked what they ordered (including salad) and we were with my mom and f-i-l.... (who was paying!!!!!!!!)hub's & his daugher's actions...I had been SWORN before hand that they BOTH liked seafood and such,,,
God I was SO embarrassed...I asked hubby over and over "are you sure you don't WAnTHIS?"...something I knew he would like but oh no...he had to order something he NEVER had before and knew he wouldn't like.
arrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh I love my hubby but DAMN he gets on my everlasting nerve...shouldn't you know (at least) which food you WILL or WILL NOT like????? damn it's like feeding a child...sick of it..............

OMG you sound SO much like my hubby...he won't eat mayo, sour cream or anything like such...for me, if it's not loaded or at least wettened with SOME kinda sauce such a mayo, vinegar, arbys' sauce, horseradish or something of the like, it's just NO good...gotta have it loaded down here...
neither does my hubby like steak, seafood, or such...we went to Red Lobster once and ended up in a HUGE fight because he didn't LIKE ANYTHING he ordered....oh my was I angry...maybe I shouldn't have been before we went BUT he told me he liked shrimp & crab legs...in he end he liked NOTHING.....we ended up in a HUGE fight which ended with him throwing his engagement ring through-out the parking lot....whatever, sheesh he even ended up ordereing CEASER SALAD...which lo and behold, he DIND't like....also his daughter (12) who ordered crab alfredo, which she SWORE she had tried before....what do u know, neither hubby or his daughter liked what they ordered (including salad) and we were with my mom and f-i-l.... (who was paying!!!!!!!!)hub's & his daugher's actions...I had been SWORN before hand that they BOTH liked seafood and such,,,
God I was SO embarrassed...I asked hubby over and over "are you sure you don't WAnTHIS?"...something I knew he would like but oh no...he had to order something he NEVER had before and knew he wouldn't like.
arrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh I love my hubby but DAMN he gets on my everlasting nerve...shouldn't you know (at least) which food you WILL or WILL NOT like????? damn it's like feeding a child...sick of it..............
Oh you love him and you know it. Hahaha don't take him out to eat when someone else is paying. That must be frustrating. I can always find something on the menu that I like, so I fly under the radar.

It seems to me that if it said "All you can eat" then that's what it should have meant. And, if there was a problem with these patrons, they shouldn't have set the waitress loose on them to insult them publically. It sounds from the article like she was pretty rude.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCSouthtrust
Back