Parents of third graders outraged at diversity tape

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Nova said:
When they are older, they will look back and know that the love of their parents -- for them and for one other -- was the core truth of their childhoods. And they will learn they can leave behind those "small town values" for a better life elsewhere, or they can stay and make their peace with the ignorance around them.

In the meantime, please allow me to be outraged on their behalf! No town is small enough to excuse cruelty to children.
Lovely post, Nova.

teonspaleprincess said:
We live in a small town where interacial marriage, homosexuality, and other "alternative" lifestyles are frowned upon. Thank you all for your concern. I think eventually it will make my boys stronger. I hope that when they are older they look back and realize that the opinions of those around them did not matter so much.
Your kids will be better prepared to live in the real world. They have learned to look beneath the surface and to see that all people matter. I'm sorry that they had to learn about intolerance because it is very hurtful.

Nova said:
You are absolutely, 100% right, Seriously. But as you can see from this thread, some people are very tenacious in protecting their prejudices and passing them on to their children. I suppose it must be threatening to imagine what one's children might think of one if they ever get to think for themselves.
This is why schools have to teach our children about intolerance and acceptance. Too many parents pass their biased beliefs down to the next generation.

csds703 said:
This is why schools have to teach our children about intolerance and acceptance. Too many parents pass their biased beliefs down to the next generation.

Yep. Because despite our parents' biases, we all have to live together.

IrishMist said:
Just don't go totally topless, Jeana... Pleeeeaase wear a helmet! :)

I wanna go too! But I'm afraid of motorcycles :eek:

What if I bring a three-wheeler? We could be Dykes on Trikes!

A Trike is probably more my speed and I'll be able to better handle the "girls." No telling where they'd end up at 60 mph. :waitasec:

narlacat said:
Omg.

Call me naive, I just don't get that.

I am sorry your kids get treated that way Princess, they would be most welcome at my place.

Mine too darlin!!

Jeana (DP) said:
A Trike is probably more my speed and I'll be able to better handle the "girls." No telling where they'd end up at 60 mph. :waitasec:
ROFL!!!!! This cracked me up!!! :D :D

ETA: Note to self: DON'T ride behind Jeana when she's topless and going 60 on a motorcycle :D

Nova said:
Not really. I promise you I find your beliefs just as immoral as you find my actions.

But I don't feel a need to hide you from children, to pretend you don't exist.

(And I do appreciate you admitting that I am different from child molesters and murderers. I'm not kidding. Not all people understand the distinction.)

In an attempt to not get myself banned for life, this is all I will say to the post you responded to:

:silenced: :silenced: :silenced: :silenced: :silenced: :silenced: :silenced: :silenced: :doh:

Masterj said:
lol - right. But no judgment or intolerance. Because - GASP - what if those deviant homosexuals start performing unnatural acts in front of your children. :rolleyes:

This reminds me of the time I turned on the television one night and I was watching a movie called "The Fluffer." Of course, I had no idea what it was until I got about 1/2 way into the movie. Well it turns out I was watching a gay *advertiser censored* movie. Strangely enough, I liked the "mens" parts, but I couldn't handle watching the women. Maybe I am a queen trapped in a woman's body. :waitasec: Did I just throw this whole topic off track? :rolleyes:

Nova said:
My beloved son-in-law is a staunch Republican. He's also a great husband and devoted father. (And no distinction is made in his house between the biological grandparents and the step-grands, gay or straight.)

So I do know better than to stereotype Republicans as homophobes. But it's hard to resist when your party makes us the centerpiece of its domestic program...

(Maybe you should call the BIL. He might be glad to hear from you.)

If it makes you feel any better Nova, in my little part of Texas, here out in the burbs, most of my friends are republicans and most of them feel the same way about homosexuality that I do. In fact, I'm very proud to say that we've got our own little two dad and one baby family in the neighborhood and they're all beautiful and very, very happy!

Kitty5001 said:
To try to respond to all of you:

We are not to judge each other only God can do that. We on the other hand do not have to agree with each other either. There is a fine line between judging and accepting a choice. No one seems to separate the two.

children automatically form opinions about things they are exposed to so it is inevitable that an opinion would be formed by seeing something that is not status quo or out of the norm. Homosexuality does fall into that catagory. Young children do not need to be exposed to anykind of sexuality in any form. They are not mentally or emotionally ready for that.

In no way is my child being mean or unaccepting of Johnny just because I don't expose my son to his parents. I am not being unaccepting of Johnny because I would invite him to my home to play with my son.

Just because God said it was wrong is enough for me to form that opinion not that I don't have other reasons but his word alone is enough for me. I can take liberties as not going to church on a regular basis and still be christian -I went to private catholic school for many years and do read scripture and books from time to time -just because I don't enter a building once a week does not mean that I don't still believe in the word of God.

My notions just because they are different are not hateful. I am not saying to tease of hate Johnny or call him names just because I don't allow my son to view an alternate lifestyle at such a young age. I would not allow him to view *advertiser censored* or watch violent tv shows nor would I allow him to view programs on abortion or any other heated topic due to his age or maturity level. these are all complex issues that only mature individuals should be subject to.

Your children will automatically take your opinion about these matters until hopefully, one day, they grow mature enough to point out to you that you're wrong and you should get with the times. I remember having to do that to my parents more than once.

Kitty5001 said:
I really think that is because the bible is so hard to understand. You really have to read it and understand the big picture when God said no trimmed beards before service is it possible what he meant was when you come to worship me you should be concerened with your worship and not your vanity concerning yourself about your appearances at that moment? These are things to think about.

Actually, the Bible and the law have a lot in common. You could have three different preachers/fathers/pastors do a sermon on the same topic in the bible and you'll get three different interpretations of it. Same with the law. You could find a room full of attorneys trying to convince one judge that the way they interpret a law is the correct way. The way in which something is conveyed to you will either bring it home for you or not. But that's what this is all about. Maybe those videos that some people are worried about are able to convey to children in ways that they can better understand how to be tolerent and understanding. As grown ups, most of us are too jaded by our own experiences.

csds703 said:
[/b]

You won't have to explain because you're children will not be exposed to "different" people.

Sure they will. And when she comes to them to finally explain, they'll go "duh mom. . . like we knew about that five years ago." :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

csds703 said:
Not everyone agrees what a bias is, so it isn't the school's job to raise our kids for us. I notice when the those who like THAT idea were asked if their kids could be taught things THEY didn't agreen with, those same people suddenly didn't want the school's to raise their kids. It's quite hypocritical.

Kitty5001 said:
To try to respond to all of you:

We are not to judge each other only God can do that. We on the other hand do not have to agree with each other either. There is a fine line between judging and accepting a choice. No one seems to separate the two.

children automatically form opinions about things they are exposed to so it is inevitable that an opinion would be formed by seeing something that is not status quo or out of the norm. Homosexuality does fall into that catagory. Young children do not need to be exposed to anykind of sexuality in any form. They are not mentally or emotionally ready for that.

In no way is my child being mean or unaccepting of Johnny just because I don't expose my son to his parents. I am not being unaccepting of Johnny because I would invite him to my home to play with my son.

Just because God said it was wrong is enough for me to form that opinion not that I don't have other reasons but his word alone is enough for me. I can take liberties as not going to church on a regular basis and still be christian -I went to private catholic school for many years and do read scripture and books from time to time -just because I don't enter a building once a week does not mean that I don't still believe in the word of God.

My notions just because they are different are not hateful. I am not saying to tease of hate Johnny or call him names just because I don't allow my son to view an alternate lifestyle at such a young age. I would not allow him to view *advertiser censored* or watch violent tv shows nor would I allow him to view programs on abortion or any other heated topic due to his age or maturity level. these are all complex issues that only mature individuals should be subject to.
I really hope none of your children are gay. Sadly, it's parents like you that find their poor gay Johnny dead by suicide.
Diversity and tolerance really IS a matter of life & death.
If a young child, even one in the 3rd grade, is exposed to a film like this and realizes he IS NOT a freak, that many people have the same feelings as he does, even if his mom & dad do not agree. Maybe young homosexuals wouldn't be killing themselves at such a high rate.

Or doesn't that matter to you?

Linda7NJ said:
I really hope none of your children are gay. Sadly, it's parents like you that find their poor gay Johnny dead by suicide.
Diversity and tolerance really IS a matter of life & death.
If a young child, even one in the 3rd grade, is exposed to a film like this and realizes he IS NOT a freak, that many people have the same feelings as he does, even if his mom & dad do not agree. Maybe young homosexuals wouldn't be killing themselves at such a high rate.

Or doesn't that matter to you?
Nor would they marry straight people in an effort to hide who they are. It happens more often than you think.

IrishMist said:
Nor would they marry straight people in an effort to hide who they are. It happens more often than you think.
I've seen it happen more than once AND I'm from NJ. ( you know about our, old Governor, right?)

I believe gay people are born that way, and I was always taught God doesn't make mistakes. I'd just love to know how religious folks reconcile the two?

I KNOW that one day society will look back and see how ridiculous and morally and legally wrong this all was. Homosexuals should have EQUAL rights and be able to marry. Just like slavery, oppression of women, ethnic cleansing......this will rank right up there. I just hope I live long enough to see it.

Linda7NJ said:
I've seen it happen more than once AND I'm from NJ. ( you know about our, old Governor, right?)

I believe gay people are born that way, and I was always taught God doesn't make mistakes. I'd just love to know how religious folks reconcile the two?

I KNOW that one day society will look back and see how ridiculous and morally and legally wrong this all was. Homosexuals should have EQUAL rights and be able to marry. Just like slavery, oppression of women, ethnic cleansing......this will rank right up there. I just hope I live long enough to see it.
Yup, I know about your old Guv. What a mess, eh? I felt bad for his wife.

Science is making great strides in backing up your and my belief that people are born that way. We see it in nature all the time. How they reconcile that is beyond me. I've read a variety of answers, but none that make sense to me. When you couple the concept of only one time around with the concept of if you have sex, you burn in hell forever... well, it just doesn't make sense to me at all.

And what you said here is so good, I think it deserves to be said again:

Dark Knight said:
Not everyone agrees what a bias is, so it isn't the school's job to raise our kids for us. I notice when the those who like THAT idea were asked if their kids could be taught things THEY didn't agreen with, those same people suddenly didn't want the school's to raise their kids. It's quite hypocritical.
It's public school. If a parent doesn't agree with what is being taught, that parent has every right to yank their children and send them to private school or homeschool them.

I would suggest they homeschool and keep their children locked in the house 24/7 to thwart reality as long as possible from creeping in. At least that way we wouldn't be forced to listen to the whining!

If that isn't convienant..........Don't worry, when your kids get home from public school you and everyone else are free to cram their little heads with whatever you think is important.

Dark Knight said:
What exactly are you referring to here? What is that and who is They and what "things"?

This is just like when I ask my husband where something is and he says "Over there - on the thing".

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back