Parents of third graders outraged at diversity tape

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Dark Knight said:
LOL! Hi Linda! Yes, I recall how confusing that was, lol, sorry. :D How are ya?
Good, thanks for asking and you?

Linda7NJ said:
... I am not a hard core, rub your face in it, obnoxious atheist that wants to change the Pledge of Alligence. ...
*****As a parent, I think it's my job to teach my child to think for himself. ****
.... Right now he considers himself a Christian and I support him in that. I would also be EQUALLY supportive if he was gay.
I was on a board for a short time where you'd think that to be athiest meant you had to be purely evil and hateful toward everyone else. Being a non-athiest, I couldn't believe the intolerance and hate - and left the board, learning nothing about athiests or why they believe the way they do -

So when I read what you wrote, I wanted to say I think you're an amazing person and probably an amazing parent. Kudos to you.

Linda7NJ said:
ROFL! I wear a headband! Seriously, though........I think at the elementary & middle school level there isn't much in the religious teachings ( at least in the school my son attends) that morally I don't agree with.

As you can tell, I am not a hard core, rub your face in it, obnoxious atheist that wants to change the Pledge of Alligence. It's my own personal belief and I do not feel the need to brainwash my child into my way of thinking. At this age (9) I often casually explain to him that not everyone believes the same thing. We have conversations about different religons and how they are different and that some people simply don't believe. Once he commented that a certain belief was stupid and silly and I reminded him they thought the same of his belief. It really put it in perspective for him. As far as I can tell, he respects diversity.

*****As a parent, I think it's my job to teach my child to think for himself. ****

He doesn't know what I believe. I just provide as much information as I can so he can grow up and make a educated choice. Right now he considers himself a Christian and I support him in that. I would also be EQUALLY supportive if he was gay.
Out of the blue about two weeks ago my 6yo daughter asked me if God is real. I was so unprepared for the question because usually kids kind of assume that God is real and don't even think about it much until they are older. I stared at her with my mouth open for about a minute and then said "I don't know". Which is true for me because I consider myself to be an athiest because I have a lack of any belief about a higher power but if I were to be offered a really good argument for why a God does exist I would greet it with an open mind. I told her that God was something that everyone has to kind of decide for themselves. She said "Okay!" I said so do you think God is real? She said "Uhhh- nope!" I paused and then said "What about Santa Clause?" She looked at me like I was crazy and said "OF COURSE HE IS!" And it was all I could do from laughing. So cute.

I agree that it is something that they have to decide for themselves - and being that I practice Buddhism - I only push for making choices based on what seems to be loving caring and considerate outcomes.

I morally agree with most of the Christians code also and feel it has a positive impact. My only concern was her being taught about hell and sinning and maybe feeling that because we aren't religious at home - that she was in some sort of danger or that she was - bad.

Thank you for your answer - you seem like a good mommy!

I'm a Jersey girl too - BTW. Not now - but originally - and my whole family is there. :D

Jessiebell said:
You know, I went to an art school for my college education, the artistic fields attract a large gay crowd so I had/have countless gay friends. I saw so many times the effects that people that think it's wrong to be gay have on the gay community and some of the stories are just plain horrific. How ANYONE can think that it is "God's" will to make these perfectly wonderful people suffer as they are prone to do from time to time from this thinking is just so horribly heartbreaking to me. I choose to think that people who think in the manner just plain don't understand the pain they inflict - because otherwise it makes me feel a good deal of anger.

At the same time - the respect that I hold for my gay friends that aren't afraid to hide who they are - despite the pain they open themselves up to - is so amazinly huge! This kind of strength has been so inspiring to me and helped to get me through some very hard times in my life.
Again, not everyone who feels homosexuality is a sin hates or wishes to cause Gay people pain. If they are hurt just because I don't aprove of their lifestyle, they have other issues that need exploring like, who cares what other people think. f someone is that die hard about their "choice" and freedom, they shouldn't give a rats butt about what I or anyone else thinks about their choices. However,teaching alternative lifestyles in a public school that is supported by EVERYONES tax dollars is forcing one set of beliefes down another groups throat in my opinion.

GlitchWizard said:
I was on a board for a short time where you'd think that to be athiest meant you had to be purely evil and hateful toward everyone else. Being a non-athiest, I couldn't believe the intolerance and hate - and left the board, learning nothing about athiests or why they believe the way they do -

So when I read what you wrote, I wanted to say I think you're an amazing person and probably an amazing parent. Kudos to you.
Yeah I've seen people like that too GlitchWizard. I don't get it. Being athiest is a very non-point to me. I give it very little thought and have no real passion for it at all. It just is. I have a real passion for Buddhism though - and the philosophies behind it. I don't consider it a religion - just a way of life.

Sometiesm I wonder if the anger and hate thing is a case of "doth-protest-too-much" Ya know?

Jessiebell said:
Yeah I've seen people like that too GlitchWizard. I don't get it. Being athiest is a very non-point to me. I give it very little thought and have no real passion for it at all. It just is. I have a real passion for Buddhism though - and the philosophies behind it. I don't consider it a religion - just a way of life.

Sometiesm I wonder if the anger and hate thing is a case of "doth-protest-too-much" Ya know?
I'm too lazy to be angry and hate things. It takes energy I don't feel like expending. :-)

kcksum said:
Again, not everyone who feels homosexuality is a sin hates or wishes to cause Gay people pain. If they are hurt just because I don't aprove of their lifestyle, they have other issues that need exploring like, who cares what other people think. f someone is that die hard about their "choice" and freedom, they shouldn't give a rats butt about what I or anyone else thinks about their choices. However,teaching alternative lifestyles in a public school that is supported by EVERYONES tax dollars is forcing one set of beliefes down another groups throat in my opinion.
kcksum - I wasn't saying that a person with the belief that being gay is a sin and doesn't rub that in their face is causing pain to a gay person. I was talking about the cases in which that belief leads to very painful experiences. Not everyone sits back and just says okay - I think that is a sin and leaves it at that.

If you'll read again you'll see that I don't know how "anyone" could inflict that kind of pain - not how EVERYONE that believes that was does.

GlitchWizard said:
I never restricted what my daughter saw or heard, just explained everything to her. The world is out there, that's the way I see it.
That's the way we've done it (to a large extent), and it works out just fine.

One of my best friends is gay. I've known him since junior high. He was effeminate then and he's effeminate now. He went through hell in school and I highly doubt any kid would subject themselves to that intentionally. It is my belief that most gays are born that way.

My daughter knows a boy that is the same way. She's known him since he was 9. I truly hope his school experience is better than my friend's. :(

However,teaching alternative lifestyles in a public school that is supported by EVERYONES tax dollars is forcing one set of beliefes down another groups throat in my opinion.

That is exactly what I was trying to convey on earlier posts- Forcing a set of beliefs that I don't believe in to my young child. For those who think that I am pro gay/bashing suicide-you obviously have not read my posts. I do NOT wish for them to be hurt or kill themselves just because my 8 year old is not ready for lifestyle issues. He is more concerned with his hot wheels at this point. AS he should be. You people have taken things out of context to say that I am not accepting or or that I am pushing my prejudices on my son. I have NEVER ONCE conveyed that I am prejudice- I have said for religious reasons that I feel the choice is not right but NEVER said that I hate the person and I would never teach my child to hate anyone. Just as if I found out my daughter had an abortion - I would not agree with the choice she made or take her to have it done -does that mean that I hate all pregnant girls? Sheesh people :banghead:

We have gotten way offbase on this thread...

I think the real issue is.. do we want our children to be mean to another child?
Of course we are all going to say "not my child" but obviously there are children who are mean to others.
The issue is really when parents show up for open house do you want your child to taunt and tease the child that has a black mother and white father the next day? Do you want them to tease the child with two mom's?

IMO that was the intent of the film .... Its nothing about sex or morals its simply about being nice to oneanother despite differences.

You people have taken things out of context to say that I am not accepting or or that I am pushing my prejudices on my son.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yes I've been reading what you all have to say, and I think you are taking Kitty's words out of context. The point in the beginning of this topic is would you feel comfortable having your child watch a tape on diversity that includes the topic of gay marriage, paid by your tax dollars, not with your knowledge- correct? Well marriage itself is a lifestyle choice. As a child your lifetsyle, ie your family dynamic is what your parents create for you. That may mean that it is a 50's traditional nuclear family, interracial, divorced, gay, whatever. Lifestyle choices I do not think should be taught in public school. Diversity has to do with at the very least "being tolerant" of anoter person's culture/religion/heritage. Are you now telling me that being gay or hetersexual has comething to do with culture?

Amraann said:
We have gotten way offbase on this thread...

I think the real issue is.. do we want our children to be mean to another child?
Of course we are all going to say "not my child" but obviously there are children who are mean to others.
The issue is really when parents show up for open house do you want your child to taunt and tease the child that has a black mother and white father the next day? Do you want them to tease the child with two mom's?

IMO that was the intent of the film .... Its nothing about sex or morals its simply about being nice to oneanother despite differences.
Exactly what I said earlier! LOL ^5!

Kitty5001 said:
However,teaching alternative lifestyles in a public school that is supported by EVERYONES tax dollars is forcing one set of beliefes down another groups throat in my opinion.

That is exactly what I was trying to convey on earlier posts- Forcing a set of beliefs that I don't believe in to my young child. For those who think that I am pro gay/bashing suicide-you obviously have not read my posts. I do NOT wish for them to be hurt or kill themselves just because my 8 year old is not ready for lifestyle issues. He is more concerned with his hot wheels at this point. AS he should be. You people have taken things out of context to say that I am not accepting or or that I am pushing my prejudices on my son. I have NEVER ONCE conveyed that I am prejudice- I have said for religious reasons that I feel the choice is not right but NEVER said that I hate the person and I would never teach my child to hate anyone. Just as if I found out my daughter had an abortion - I would not agree with the choice she made or take her to have it done -does that mean that I hate all pregnant girls? Sheesh people :banghead:
Oh...I understand now. The fact that children your child will meet may have two moms or two dads is not acceptable in your world. It would offend you if your child was to be EDUCATED to that fact, you would be forced to keep your little hotwheel playing kid out of that sinners house:rolleyes: Got it.

BTW............ I think age 8 is a little too old for Hotwheels.

Boy is THIS relevant!

My kid just sent me text messages that she was trying not to cry. She had a gay male friend commit suicide last year, and she told one boy at school. He said "Good for him, all gays should kill themselves!" Others chimed in and they said the gay boy probably raped people, and other things, then spoke and pointed to her on occassion, but still were full of hate and teased her for crying. It was heart wrenching to me - my kid was crying. :-(

She is not a victim and doesn't cry easily. She believes in tolerance of other beliefs and other lifestyles, but was sitting there being taunted for it. I messaged her that people have been shot, cruicified and other things for standing up for what they believed in, and even though it wasn't easy to do - I was proud of her.

These kids... they are ALL in the Microsoft Information Technology Academy. Supposed to be the cream of the crop students - our future.

Lord, help us all.

Princy said:
You people have taken things out of context to say that I am not accepting or or that I am pushing my prejudices on my son.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yes I've been reading what you all have to say, and I think you are taking Kitty's words out of context. The point in the beginning of this topic is would you feel comfortable having your child watch a tape on diversity that includes the topic of gay marriage, paid by your tax dollars, not with your knowledge- correct? Well marriage itself is a lifestyle choice. As a child your lifetsyle, ie your family dynamic is what your parents create for you. That may mean that it is a 50's traditional nuclear family, interracial, divorced, gay, whatever. Lifestyle choices I do not think should be taught in public school. Diversity has to do with at the very least "being tolerant" of anoter person's culture/religion/heritage. Are you now telling me that being gay or hetersexual has comething to do with culture?
:banghead:

speachless...you sure you've been reading ALL the posts in this thread?

BTW............ I think age 8 is a little too old for Hotwheels.

Kids mature at different ages. I think if you expose them to more mature topics too early, and 8 is a bit early, they may not understand what you or the school is trying to say. Which is why it should be at the PARENT'S discretion as to when to teach them such mature topics, such as lifestyle choices.

What do you think 8 year old boys should be doing?

Jeana (DP) said:
This reminds me of the time I turned on the television one night and I was watching a movie called "The Fluffer." Of course, I had no idea what it was until I got about 1/2 way into the movie. Well it turns out I was watching a gay *advertiser censored* movie. Strangely enough, I liked the "mens" parts, but I couldn't handle watching the women. Maybe I am a queen trapped in a woman's body. :waitasec: Did I just throw this whole topic off track? :rolleyes:

The Fluffer isn't actually gay *advertiser censored* (though it might do if one lacked the real thing). It's a serious, independent film about a guy caught up in the *advertiser censored* industry. If you watched all the way to the end, it isn't even a positive picture of that industry.

(BTW, I will go to my grave with a mental image of your "girls" set free at 60 mph. Not that the image disturbs me, mind you, but it is unforgettable.)

GlitchWizard said:
Boy is THIS relevant!

My kid just sent me text messages that she was trying not to cry. She had a gay male friend commit suicide last year, and she told one boy at school. He said "Good for him, all gays should kill themselves!" Others chimed in and they said the gay boy probably raped people, and other things, then spoke and pointed to her on occassion, but still were full of hate and teased her for crying. It was heart wrenching to me - my kid was crying. :-(

She is not a victim and doesn't cry easily. She believes in tolerance of other beliefs and other lifestyles, but was sitting there being taunted for it. I messaged her that people have been shot, cruicified and other things for standing up for what they believed in, and even though it wasn't easy to do - I was proud of her.

These kids... they are ALL in the Microsoft Information Technology Academy. Supposed to be the cream of the crop students - our future.

Lord, help us all.
I bet their behavior would have made their parents proud! ANd that's exactly why this tape needs to be viewed by 3rd graders!

Jeana (DP) said:
If it makes you feel any better Nova, in my little part of Texas, here out in the burbs, most of my friends are republicans and most of them feel the same way about homosexuality that I do. In fact, I'm very proud to say that we've got our own little two dad and one baby family in the neighborhood and they're all beautiful and very, very happy!

Now if we could just get the message to your party leaders...

Actually, in gay-majority Palm Springs, we have plenty of Republicans who are gay themselves. But don't get me started on that.

speachless...you sure you've been reading ALL the posts in this thread?

Yes... and I think the original topic has been forgotten.
Of the things "NOT TO DO" in life, I think telling someone how to raise their kids is #1. Government and schools have no business teaching about lifestyles choices and most definitely not at such a young age.
At 8 yrs old most boys are just beginning to go thru hormone changes, and that they don't completely understand. It's different for every child as is their level of comprehension on such a complex subject.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karla Enriquez
Back