Penalty Phase - Verdict Watch #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nancy Grace is saying there is no such thing as LWOP in Arizona?? What's the point, then? She gets out in 20 years. Justice in America? LOL. Really?

I think you go get the Penillas 12.

Now you know how the Casey Anthony verdict turned out.

They did the right thing and gave her M1. I think she deserves the DP but I have seen things this jury hasnt (or supposed to not see). It could be as simple as one of the M factors. She has no prior criminal history. And one may be firmly holding on to that one. This jury isnt the P12. They have been a good jury, a smart jury and paid attention and asked tons of questions. I will not bash them whichever decision they come too. They have to live with the results. I just hope they can reach a decision and not hang. Either way Jodi isnt walking out of prison.

Me too ! Absolutely STUNNED !

All 12 Jurors voted 1st Degree Pre-meditated Murder and 7 Jurors voted for Felony Murder as well.

All 12 Jurors voted for EXTREME CRUELTY.

Now WHY can't they agree on the DP ? It makes NO SENSE IMO !

If they give her LIFE w/ or w/o parole they have let down Travis and his Family !

IF JA does NOT get the DP, "You can mark my words" -- I will NEVER EVER TRUST A JURY AGAIN !

:twocents:
Jenny's words, "Do you want to kill her?"

Easy to answer yes, but try closing you eyes; kneeling before you with her hands and feet bound is Jodi. She is begging for her life. All around both families are crying, each for their own reasons. You have a weapon in your hands. Once you use it, Jodi will be dead. But many if not most or even all of the families there will still be crying.

Now I know the juror is not the one to put the needle in, but it might just be that this is how they feel right now. The responsibility is to awesome for some when it gets this real.

These good people have been through Hell with this case already. Some many need therapy to settle back into normal life once the call gets made. I will pray for them and the families and, yes, even Jodi. God help us all. :moo:

For someone who asked for clarification, I just rewound HLN.

JSS "I have received your note indicating that you are unable to come to a unanimous decision."

So, it wasn't a question of 'what if'. :(

I find it hard to believe that those jury members who believe death is appropriate would concede and go with life. I now think it will either be death or hung. Wish we knew the spread - 1 hold out vs. split down the middle.

I think if the split was small they wouldn't have come back that quickly. Like what I have said last night, some of them might be flat out anti DP and a few of them might not feel comfortable about taking a life.

It's easy for us to say whatever we want to say here. But once you're in that chair with power for life or death, your perspective will become different.

Not that I am saying we should spare JA. I would like to see her getting DP too. But we have to be realistic about the possibility that it may not happen.

A more likely scenario is that the jury will give her life and the judge rules without parole. That may not be perfect but at least it will spare Travis' family from further pains.

then that means some of the jury flat out LIED. L I E D. and that further proves that our criminal justice system is severely broken. if we have DISHONEST people sitting on jurors judging criminals then the system will NEVER work.

I'm totally bummed at this latest development :( I can't imagine that this jury that has been tremendously cohesive - like a family in the words of dismissed juror #8 - would not want to render a just verdict in this case that has consumed their lives for five months.

This must be heart-wrenching for Travis' family. My thoughts and prayers are with them.

I say they're sympathetic to her obvious lack of contact with reality.

This is where I think their problem is too. I don't think they believe or even care about anything she says. The are very aware that she is a very cruel murderer.
I think it's the borderline PD that gives someone pause regarding the death penalty. Almost like, with her BPD Jodi seems disconnected with the gravity of what she has done!
With that being said I would still vote DP.

Jurors know that this was premeditated cruelty.
She supposely made love to this man while knowing full well she was going to kill him.
It was extremely cruel.

She had no mitigating factors worth considering, and her family didn't seem that concerned if she did get the DP. What is the problem with these jurors?!!!!

I thought maybe LWOP would be a possibility, but after last night's interviews I really want her to get the DP. A hundred years would not make this killer feel remorse. She doesn't deserve anymore of our air.

Prayers for the Family and Friends of Travis, and the jurors to have objectivity to give the sentence she deserves. Prayers for all of us that need 12 people to be our voice. It's been torture being exposed to this cold-blooded murderer smirking and knifing us all for months.

How does it work that the jury should, at the killer's request, think of her family when deciding her fate? When did the killer worry about TA's family?

To my mind the punishment should be equal in severity to the crime.
I don't see what's so hard to understand ... when she killed him she decided her own fate IMO!

Rebump!!!
just a reminder of what the andriano jury went through

"they gathered in the jury room dec. 16 to consider whether there were reasons for sparing andriano's life.

It took four days.

The sometimes-heated deliberations dramatically changed the case's outcome, with a split jury gradually shifting toward the death verdict.

When the deliberations began, the nine women and three men took a vote. Only three supported a death sentence, with four favoring a life sentence and the others undecided, said juror mary fobes, 74, of mesa.

Catalano said he wasn't sure.

"i still hadn't made up my mind. I was giving her the benefit of the doubt," he said.

After one day, the jury went home for a three-day weekend that some called full of soul searching.

When they reconvened, catalano gave a pivotal speech outlining his reasons for supporting a death sentence, and the vote swung to 11-1 in favor of execution, fobes said.

"it was very passionate on why he thought she deserved the death penalty," fobes said. "the more i thought about it, how could she be so brutal? She must have totally flipped her wig. I don't know how anyone could do that."

but the jury was on the verge of a deadlock, with one holdout, a senior citizen from gilbert, saying he was adamantly against the death penalty.

On the third day of deliberations, jurors took turns discussing each of 23 reasons listed by the defense for sparing andriano's life, the mitigating factors, weighing whether they were sufficient cause for leniency.

They included that andriano was a good mother to her children and had signed up at age 19 for missionary work when in mexicali, mexico, for the 91st psalm church, now the harvest family church in casa grande.

Catalano said he gave all the mitigating factors some weight, but in the end, they were not enough.

"does a good mother brutally murder her husband?" he said.

Percy said she also considered the arguments against execution, but on balance, "we could not find mitigating factors that overwhelmed the cruelty. To me, to everybody there, the knife wound was the crowning blow. She had three chances to back off."

while jurors were discussing whether to execute andriano, they considered that they would have no control over whether the trial judge, brian ishikawa, would give her life in prison with or without parole, she said.

Jurors did not want to see a 25 years to life sentence.

"we also knew with the death penalty that she has an automatic appeal," percy said.

Different parts of the case resonated with jurors. Some said they were moved by andriano's plea for life during the mitigation phase on dec. 16, just before the final deliberations, while others considered it an academy award acting job. "

http://www.nlada.org/dms/documents/1106668066.47/0124deathjurors24.html

praying the jury find a way to talk this through. It's been a long long trial for them.

I hate to say this, but, looking at Jodi's demeanor, especially with that guard and her DT this morning - and all through the trial, really - coupled with the strange goings on with this trial, it almost seems as if Jodi "knew" she would not get the death penalty, no matter what happened.

For some reason, the phrase "bread and circuses" comes to mind. :facepalm:

I agree.

And one thing I noted while watching some of the interviews last night it was very very very very clear that the idea of the jury giving her the death penalty was not even an option. The idea hadn't even crossed Jodi's mind. Like not at all. Jodi knows she won't get the death penalty.

Deciding life, death takes toll on jurors

When the deliberations began, the nine women and three men took a vote. Only three supported a death sentence, with four favoring a life sentence and the others undecided, said juror Mary Fobes, 74, of Mesa.

Catalano said he wasn't sure.

"I still hadn't made up my mind. I was giving her the benefit of the doubt," he said.

After one day, the jury went home for a three-day weekend that some called full of soul searching.

When they reconvened, Catalano gave a pivotal speech outlining his reasons for supporting a death sentence, and the vote swung to 11-1 in favor of execution, Fobes said.

"It was very passionate on why he thought she deserved the death penalty," Fobes said. "The more I thought about it, how could she be so brutal? She must have totally flipped her wig. I don't know how anyone could do that."

But the jury was on the verge of a deadlock, with one holdout, a senior citizen from Gilbert, saying he was adamantly against the death penalty.

From Wendy Andriano case .. she is now on death row in Arizona :)

http://www.nlada.org/DMS/Documents/1106668066.47/0124deathjurors24.html

I love Beth Karas, but she just said she feels since the jury is split the state should take DP off the table! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Anyone think Juan would actually do this? I want a new jurt just like we've been told would happen...

Come on Jurors who are hold-outs...have you forgotten this from yesterday???

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34264&stc=1&d=1369251111

Why would the State do that? How would it benefit them? We can have a new jury who may sentence her to death. If not the Judge will decide what sort of 'life' to give her.

This jury has indicated that they are unable to reach a verdict as per the Judge. Very surprising considering how little time they've spent deliberating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Backhand