Penalty Phase - Verdict Watch #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I know! But saying you'd have no problem rendering the DP before the fact and then actually being faced with that situation are two different things. I truly do not believe it's a matter of whether or not JA deserves the DP; I think it's a juror or two secretly worried for their own soul if they send someone to their death.

If they feel that way now then they lied when they said they would have no problem with the DP. If someone has a problem with the DP they will always have a problem with it.

Not getting where judge is "correct"? Jury sent out note stating they had QUESTION......

QUESTION was...."...what to do IF they couldn't reach a unanimous decision?"

Judge STATED in open court...

"The jury CANNOT reach a unanimous decision...", then proceeded to state she sent back helpful guideline....

Now where did judge correctly get information from jury that they COULD NOT reach unanimous?????

ETA: Judge must be having incredibly bad day...first *forgets* something as important as jury instruction in death penalty case, and now appears to have made major faux paux in interpreting jury question....wonder if jury is shaking heads and saying WTH???!!!

I'm shaking my head saying WTH. Was it a question or not? We may never know....

I am thinking that society in general has become way to liberal minded to support the death penalty except for places like Texas, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia. "Her life could be worth saving"..... yeah right.

If this crime, where the jurors all agreed was premeditated and heinous, does not warrant the death penalty, what does???????

I am going to let go of any personal attachment to this penalty phase verdict. I will put my faith in this jury and accept whatever decision they come to. I will not judge them because I have not walked in their shoes.

No matter what happens imo, her life will SUCK. :jail:

She will if she gets Life with no parole for 25 years.

It seems that there is a misconception that if she gets life with the possibility of parole, she would automatically be given walking papers in 25 years...

That is wrong. Although I want the toughest penalty for her, please remember that LWP only means that her first consideration for parole would be after 25 years. Due to the heinousness of her crime, I don't think a parole board would be over-eager to recommend her for release. There are many women who die in prison even though they seek parole... Many with glowing prison records full of helping others. Think the Manson women.

I am concerned with the hold outs for LWOP. It is like moving a mountain to get a LWOP to come over to Death.

The part that frustrates me is they signed on saying they can sentence someone to Death if it warranted it.

If this does not warrant it, what does?

Chopping, stabbing, shot in the head, slit throat all the way through, bruised back legs wither HER footprints embedded on him? Standing on him.

She is a monster I do not want her hosting a Book Club weekly for Inmates, I don't want her Recycling AND god help the inmate that has to look at Jodi's long fingers being taught Sign Language! Crap I'll fly to AZ and teach them all sign language myself! (ok I have to learn how to speak sign language first, but still.. I'll do it)

But she's going to be selling T-SHIRTS! :scared:

IMO, many (definitely not all) anti-DP people just say they are anti-DP because they believe it to be the correct thing to say or feel. I'm sure some truly have a deep conviction that every life, even the purely evil and despicable, do not deserve to die. That is something I just cannot comprehend, but that is their opinion and I respect it.

However, in the situation you described above, I can't believe that any person would not defend themselves or loved ones against being killed, and they would choose to pull the trigger and kill the intruder.

The scenario isn't applicable to the death penalty question. The scenario is one of self defense.

A better scenario would be: what if someone broke into your home and killed your family. Would you continue to oppose the death penalty against that killer. That is the fair question.

I am a DP opponent. And my answer would be, Yes, I think I would. I would certainly try even though it would be very very hard. Because I do not approve of murder, either by individuals or by the State. But that is my opinion, and I don't want to get into a DP flame war here.

I have always thought that the First Degree conviction was the VICTORY here. That was Justice for Travis.
I feel like the DP is such a personal decision.
I truthfully, laid awake at night, begging and hoping that the Alexanders would see it that way. They don't and that's understandable. My heart breaks for them. I wish I could hug them.

I just don't get it. If the the murder one conviction is just lip service what is the point? Sorry, that just doesn't make sense to me. It was murder one and especially cruel. And the defendant has no remorse. In my opinion, victory is making sure this woman never has her freedom ever again.

Is anyone ok with LWOP?

I am ok with LWOP, but only if it is guaranteed to be served on Death Row or under same conditions.

I also would be fine if they sentence her to Death, and I'll go as far to say that I wouldn't care if they forget to execute her, just as long as she lives on Death Row.

JMO

You guys... she's been convicted of 1st degree murder. There is no way JSS will only give her 25 yrs as her "life" sentence if it goes that way. She will spend the rest of her life in prison one way or the other. That *is* justice for the Alexander Family. Does no one understand this?

With all due respect, I think the family has made it very clear that they consider the death penalty to be justice in this case.

Just listened again, Judge said " I just received a note saying you are UNABLE to come to a unanimous decision"....
But, the court tweets they want to know what happens IF they can't come to a unanimous decision...
So is this why she answered with an Alan charge? Is there a law preventing her from answering "what if" questions?

The court tweeted it as a question- so what is correct?

https://twitter.com/courtpio

Found out WHERE???? My daughter lives in London!!!!!!!!
A solider was killed which is very sad but not a large scale 'terrorist attack'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22630303

"Basically two men carried out an axe attack on a young army cadet walking along the street, by the looks of things the police responded and then shot them in front of the public, at the same time I couldn't really tell if the cadet was fatally or not hurt as police were crowded around him."

ETA This quote is from the article - not from me. Another news site (guardian.co.uk) says it was a cleaver.

Just listened again, Judge said " I just received a note saying you are UNABLE to come to a unanimous decision"....
But, the court tweets they want to know what happens IF they can't come to a unanimous decision...
So is this why she answered with an Alan charge? Is there a law preventing her from answering "what if" questions?

I trust the judge more than someone from the staff tweeting.
She had the note in front of her and gave them the instruction to try harder

I think I saw that one male reporter we all love (huge sarcasm) and he looked mighty pleased at the reading of the jury question.

I'm fine with LWOP and I think Travis would be too. Travis was a follower of Christ, despite his human nature and it's flaws, he loved the Lord and for the most part lived his life according to HIS Word. Yes, I think Travis would be just fine with JA getting LWOP.

Agreed.

i think it is very difficult for jurors to put young attractive women to death or even young not so attractive women to death. if she were a he, i believe we would already have the DP

I believe many made this argument about being convicted of murder 1 & this jury did that. I give the jury more credit than that. There are many male prisoners not put on death row who commit crimes as heinous as JA's. It is easy for us all on Websleuths to lose some perspective as we are all so involved in this case, but there are many evil murders carried out every day in the US that are considered more heinous than JA's, such as child murders.

IT IS WAY TOO SOON TO PANIC OR GIVE UP PEOPLE!!!!

Ok....the TH are making way too big of a deal about this.
Everybody breathe (and don't scare rose222:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela