Penalty Phase - Verdict Watch

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He was there on Monday..

Why do I have to be SO curious?? I just watched 3 interviews that CMJA gave tonight and now I can't sleep..Anger breeds insomnia!!

I think that was her teenage brother in court the other day. His name is Joseph.

I just got up and see she did do interviews. Wow. What a weird kind of delusional, so much reminds me of Diane Downs. Is she simply taking her one and only chance to be a "star" in her childlike thought patterns, or, does she still think the jury and the people will just let her go now, she's paid her dues, she's done her time? I am not certain, but I see Diane Downs all over it.

Sorry, just checking what legal errors you have found?
Well...it isn't up to me. Jodi's appellate attorney(s) will argue legal errors on multiple grounds. For example, the trial judge erred in allowing a media feed which led to sensational media coverage which couldn't afford Jodi a fair trial. Any ruling can potentially become an argument for legal error, depending on statutes, case law, rules of criminal procedure, etc. Making the argument though, which they will, most certainly doesn't assure they'll win it. It's pretty unlikely they would because this judge has been so cautious in assuring the new convict had a fair trial.

Is it just me or what, because I"m confused as to how an appeals board can possibly know the breadth of a case that was 5 months long? I mean, the jurors have been there day in and day out, they have seen Jodi up close and looked at her and listened to her. So IMO you're right, it would have to be some legal technicality, but even then how can they know the context? For example, if Jodi tries to say the witnesses were threatened....how can the appeals board know Jodi's manipulative ways, and that it could have been Jodi orchestrating these supposed death threats with her "friend" felon Donovan? I'm not understanding how an appeals board can get all of that information? I guess I should ask on the lawyer thread. And as for "ineffective counsel," I mean, is it really ineffective if they're forced to do what Jodi says, and what Jodi says is stupid and dumb? How is that ineffective counsel and how would the appeals board know that context?
The appellate panel will know a lot more than the jurors, or we, ever did. They'll be given absolutely everything - every bit of testimony, every motion, every ruling, every super secret in chambers hearing. Still, they're limited to the scope of the law and its interpretation. If they find legal errors were substantial enough a remedy will be sought; e.g. death sentence commutation, new trial, etc. Convictions are overturned very, very rarely. It's the least likely option and honestly, imo, her chances for a successful appeal at all are incredibly remote.

Appellate cases arguing ineffective counsel are par for the course. I've posted before several appeals in which egregious attorney practices went down during a trial - like an attorney falling asleep! - and even those convictions were upheld...just to put such a claim into context. It's gotta be really bad for such an argument to work...not just not winning your case or not pursuing an effective defense strategy.

MOO

That is why I am not at all worried about the conviction being turned over on appeal. Even with the jury not being sequestered, they were asked, before each day, if they were watching the media. They said no. That will be good enough.

Also, any appeal court is going to look at the evidence and the evidence of premeditation is so overwhelming that, really, any jury would have come to the same conclusion. It is plain as day.

The DP verdict is what worries, but I'm not a lawyer so I might be wrong. You might get some bleeding heart judge decades from now who overturns the sentence, especially with all the weirdness that went on this phase. Hopefully, Juan's argument, the REAL reason Patti didn't show, is enough to combat the whole death threat nonsense. I can't believe Jodi was allowed to say that in her statement. It would be a shame. This judge did all the right things and gave Jodi a more than fair trial, right up to allowing a surrebuttal, which almost never happens. It was pointless anyway, since they agree with the BPD diagnosis now...
You make so many good points. But look, after the jury delivers it's verdict, it's all kinda out of everyone's hands. All we can really do is hope that JSS and JM were professional and educated enough in their positions to foresee any ridiculousness that the DT could even TRY to bring up on appeal, and be confident enough that it would be squashed. My personal hopes stopped with our legal system after CA. I have turned to prayer for this trial, and no matter how trite that may seem, I have more faith in that invisible being than any man made justice here on Earth.

There is no doubt in my mind something triggered the murder. Would she ever do it again? Who knows. Is she afraid to speak her mind? No, she has no filter. Do I think TA had something in any way to do with precipitating his murder? Yes I do.

There is no doubt in my mind something triggered the murder. Would she ever do it again? Who knows. Is she afraid to speak her mind? No, she has no filter. Do I think TA had something in any way to do with precipitating his murder? Yes I do.

Um, yeah... He told her NO. Are you serious? Ok, so explain your comment at least.
You are basically saying that Travis somehow provoked her into BRUTALLY murdering him...
That is ridiculous, and while you are entitled to your opinion, unless you can back up your statement, it seems inadequate to a lot of us here.

I think she's a diabolical demon, but she does make me laugh with her outrageous prevarications and fantasies. I guess she rubbed off on Wilmott, because I also :lol: when she talked about JA as a future famous artist or death qualified attorney working with JW. I mean it was a hit parade of lies, fantasy, and insults to everyone from Travis' family to the jurors themselves. Can't wait to see her cuffed and taken away tomorrow.

I can't know what the jurors are thinking, but I know I went from being fine with LWOP to hoping she gets the DP. I'm convinced beyond a reasonable doubt that she is diabolical and Evil, and will continue to be a smug smirky lying murderer while protesting her victimhood forever.

Guess arias may want to graduate from hs first

JA's speech to the jury was one of the strangest and most bizarre things I've seen in my life. Championing this and that cause. Recycling, tutoring, donating hair etc. What? Does this woman understand what she did? She is basically saying 'Nothing wrong with me. Nothing really wrong with what I did. Okay, it was a mistake. Let's move on. I don't belong in prison but since I'll be there I might as well help others. I am so great after all.'

Does JA understand what rehabilitation means? She acts like there is nothing to restore! Does she understand what reforming of character is all about? We don't send criminals to prison so that they'll act in place of Mother Teresa! Each and every one of them needs help! It's like asking patients in an asylum to please help others become sane again!

Willmott's point about JA already thinking about the future and what she can do is just ridiculous! She shouldn't be moving on! She is supposed to think long and hard about what she did. For years! She is supposed to think about what is wrong with her. She is supposed to ask for help. For serious help.

The whole speech and closing were just insane. Willmott and JA made a much better case for the death penalty than our brilliant JM. We can at least thank them for that.

OK I'm 4 minutes into this abc interview.

After 1 minute, I thought, wow her attorneys really can't control her, what a nightmare of a client.

Now after 4 minutes, that's changed. CLEARLY this interview is meant to sway just one juror into voting for Life. IMO her attorneys are ok with her giving another interview. What does she have to lose by doing so? It's a crap shoot really. All she can do is continue to trash TA. Sickening. So are her attorneys.

I hope the jury brings back death sentence.

Ugh!!! watching troy haden interview....why does she get to wear lip gloss...she makes me sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and surprise surprise she took her glasses off....and to think even people on here gave me a hard time for saying her GLASSES ARE FAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you guys believe me now??

She is lying thru her teeth. Re: my mom didn't testify b/c Nurmi didn't think it was beneficial...she is blaming Nurmi for HER OWN DECISION!!!!!!!!!!!

This interview shows the real Jodi is out there still, the one in the 48 hrs interview, and Inside Edition.....NOTHING HAS CHANGED. The last 5 years she HAS LEARNED NOTHING...

AGHDHGOSDJGODKGJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just wanna scream!!!!!!!!!!1

Oh then you'll really love her interview on AZCentral... with Keifer and Mark Curtis.

In it she says she feels BETRAYED by the jury because they found her guilty. It's disgusting.

Uh...DUH! She didn't just kill him for the hell of it! He rejected her and threatened to expose her. That precipitated his murder.

JMO...

Obviously something triggered the murder. Personally, I find the May 26th texts exposing her as the sociopath who was the worst thing to ever happen to him primary motivation.

That said, I will never concede it acceptable to blame a homicide victim for not having a crystal ball - not the 20-something blonde who went clubbing with friends and didn't see the GHB slipped into her drink; not the 7 year old who walked herself to school and didn't see the van following her; not the wife who stayed with her abuser rather than risk losing custody to him; and not the 30 year old man who found himself in a relationship being manipulated by a likely psychopath.

JMO

Oh, and by the way, I think Willmott needs to understand that demanding, screeching and pointing at people with her blue nails during closing doesn't help. There was no begging on the part of Willmott or JA. Not that I could see.

I can say for once, and ONLY once lol that I agree with DD. I don't want her out there in prison serving a life of her own fulfillment with other inmates. OMG! How dangerous could that be? And why in the hell should her life be fulfilling? She is in prison! IT IS A PUNISHMENT! That means no outside contact, no media, no nothing! Why should your life matter Jodi? You didn't give Travis that chance... Mercy? Grace? You can define those words from a book all you want but you have NO idea what they mean. UGH! Like I said, give me a plane ticket and a hypodermic, and this all ends tomorrow. lol

He answered the door to a psychopath. That's what he did to precipitate his murder.

I don't get Jodi's "document it" advice to abuse victims. WHY?!?? Get the hell far far away. Don't stay for more.

JA's speech to the jury was one of the strangest and most bizarre things I've seen in my life. Championing this and that cause. Recycling, tutoring, donating hair etc. What? Does this woman understand what she did? She is basically saying 'Nothing wrong with me. Nothing really wrong with what I did. Okay, it was a mistake. Let's move on. I don't belong in prison but since I'll be there I might as well help others. I am so great after all.'

Does JA understand what rehabilitation means? She acts like there is nothing to restore! Does she understand what reforming of character is all about? We don't send criminals to prison so that they'll act in place of Mother Teresa! Each and every one of them needs help! It's like asking patients in an asylum to please help others become sane again!

Willmott's point about JA already thinking about the future and what she can do is just ridiculous! She shouldn't be moving on! She is supposed to think long and hard about what she did. For years! She is supposed to think about what is wrong with her. She is supposed to ask for help. For serious help.

The whole speech and closing were just insane. Willmott and JA made a much better case for the death penalty than our brilliant JM. We can at least thank them for that.

Totally. She acts like she's going to go to prison and be mother Teresa. Let's see: did she ever donate her hair before she went to jail? Did she ever tutor the illiterate? Teach Spanish? Take up recycling/save the earth efforts? Did she ever give a rip about DV victims before she "became" one in 2010 or donate money to DV charities or any charities at all? No. Before she went to jail she chose to use whatever talents or qualities she had for evil and for manipulation. She's not even a model prisoner NOW.

And I agree she made a better case for the DP than life for this jury that clearly has her number. Jodi made it sound like she was going to have quite the full life in jail, even if she isn't going to spend Christmas with her family anymore or be able to have children. This jury may be thinking about all the good Travis still wanted to do and will never get to and decide she should not have the opportunity. Her little Jodi show presentation was...idk...laughable? She had like 50 pictures and even managed to throw in some glamour shots, as did Willmott. I couldn't understand what they were trying to accomplish. Jodi is too pretty to kill?

The talking out of both sides of the mouth re: her family was just laughable too. On hand, spare me for my sweet family, look at all the family portraits we took, look how close we all are, my family has been here everyday supporting me, etc...On the other hand, I as abused (how?), neglected, etc. How was she abused? She got grounded. Her mom turned her attention to her infant children. GMAB. The jury already knows she deserves what punishment she got from her parents for being a brat. I just don't get it. Casey Anthony's sob story was way better than Jodi's, lol. I gotta say, her family, from the outside, looked downright wonderful. She seems to have had good parents and a good childhood and a close family. Much better than Travis's childhood. It was all so bizarre. But they really have nothing to work with.

Lol, listening to the fox interview and the reporter is making it very, very clear that JA asked them to interview her.

Just so delusional.

I also think that the "hit parade of lie, fantasy, and insults" (LMAO) was meant to make her appear to be an innocent housewife type, hence all the photos of her with the ex-bf and son, and the recycling, gifting hair, language, book club, etc... All I can think is keep pencils, paint brushes, sporks, and anything else that can be used as stabby far away from her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unnamedTV