Penn State Sandusky cover-up: AD arrested, Paterno fired, dies; cover-up charged #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd submit that the power Paterno derived from being football coach was equaled by the power derived from his connections with the money-power figures within the community. We've seen a great deal of those connections. Not the least of which is signified by Paterno's words at William A. Schreyer's funeral, "he was like a brother to me."

Schreyer for some reason wanted Spanier hired enough to go get him, donate $1 million to have the former Schreyer home remodeled to suit the needs of the Spaniers. Spanier was the hired help. And Paterno was the hired talent. We aren't looking at the real power in the community. Yet.

The Non-Profit Quarterly reports that Second Mile's insurance company is fighting paying Amendola's fees:
Excerpt: "One issue appears to be whether Sandusky was acting in an insured capacity at the charity. Though he founded the charity and served on its board until 2010, it’s unclear whether he was ever officially listed, trained, or supervised as a Second Mile volunteer working with children. In order to avoid paying Sandusky’s legal expenses, the insurance company will likely have to prove that The Second Mile failed to enact or enforce policies relating to Sandusky’s contact with children served by the charity. Of course, the insurance company may also have to show that it exercised its own due diligence by reviewing the operating policies and procedures it was being paid to insure."
http://www.nonprofitquarterly.org/g...rer-refuses-to-pay-sanduskys-legal-costs.html

So, StellarsJay, you think TSM actually had any policies regulating the training, etc, of ANY of their staff, volunteers, board--whatever? Betcha they didn't.

They might have been required to.
It SHOULD be a state requirement for all organizations serving children to have a mandatory training/inservice on pedophiles, but it isn't. PA doesn't even have a law requiring all daycare employees to be screened for child abuse after their initial employment screen.

The Roman Catholic Church and the Boy Scouts initiated "how to recognize and stop a pedophile" training for volunteers/staff on their own after recognizing that this is an effective way to deter pedophiles in their organizations.

It SHOULD be a state requirement for all organizations serving children to have a mandatory training/inservice on pedophiles, but it isn't. PA doesn't even have a law requiring all daycare employees to be screened for child abuse after their initial employment screen.

They do require background checks at licensed facilities (and unlicensed facilities operate outside the law).

The Roman Catholic Church and the Boy Scouts initiated "how to recognize and stop a pedophile" training for volunteers/staff on their own after recognizing that this is an effective way to deter pedophiles in their organizations.

I don't know if Sandusky, who wasn't technically a volunteer, was required.

They do require background checks at licensed facilities (and unlicensed facilities operate outside the law).
The child abuse clearance and crimi check at daycares in PA are only required when an individual is hired. Daycare operators are not required to run another check on their employees after the initial clearance.

An employee could be placed on the state's child abuse registry one day after their initial clearance. An employer might never check again because they are not required to check again. The state of PA requires $20 to check their child abuse registry. This info. isn't published anywhere else, so an employer has to pay the state's fee.

When I volunteered for my kid's activities at their Catholic school, the volunteers were required to pay the state's $20 fee for a child abuse registry check which can only be checked through the state's site. At minimum wage, daycare employees wouldn't be happy about being docked 3 hours of pay to pay for this. Daycare owners are not likely to pay unless it is mandated by law. The fee discourages the "rechecking" of employees. PA's system and laws are woefully inadequate and warped!

The child abuse clearance and crimi check at daycares in PA are only required when an individual is hired. Daycare operators are not required to run another check on their employees after the initial clearance.

An employee could be placed on the state's child abuse registry one day after their initial clearance. An employer might never check again because they are not required to check again. The state of PA requires $20 to check their child abuse registry. This info. isn't published anywhere else, so an employer has to pay the state's fee.

Isn't someone convicted in order to be in the registry. After the initial check, aren't any employers going to know that they were convicted.

I do know the Megan's Law list is available publicly. It's online and fee of charge. http://www.pameganslaw.state.pa.us/

That may not show a nonsexual crime against a child, but it relating to molestation.

Was Sandusky acting as a representative of TSM when he (alledgedly) molested those boys? So many questions. TSM's original statement in Nov said they hoped/expected to have their internal review complete by Dec (2011).

Amendola is looking for someone to pay his bills. JS apparently has insufficient funds. So, one reason Amendola needs to know more about the victims, with exact dates, etc, is so he can show TSM was responsible in some way. And so, their insurance company needs to pay his fees.

But, then, the battle over his fees continues, with that final sentence from StellarsJay's link:

"Of course, the insurance company may also have to show that it exercised its own due diligence by reviewing the operating policies and procedures it was being paid to insure. –Michael Wyland"

http://www.nonprofitquarterly.org/g...rer-refuses-to-pay-sanduskys-legal-costs.html

That's all about money. Not the victims--as usual.

TSM was relatively unregulated, partially due to their funding sources and the type of programs they ran. I believe that was intentional on Sandusky's part.

It also looks to me like TSM, and their legal eagle, has decided to put this mostly on Sandusky, and secondarily on Raykovitz. Perhaps justifiably, at least within that organization. IDK.

In this interview of Nov 16, 2011, Lynne Abraham said as much:

Her answer to a question about the grand jury report was, "
I was horrified. It was the same modus operandi as all pedophiles engage in...."

And her answer to a question about that Bob Costas interview:

"...What Sandusky has done is admit virtually everything that the attorney general has accused him of, except the ultimate act."

Also, when discussing TSM responsibilities she said, "Some people were aware. Who were they, and why didn't they act in an appropriate fashion by informing the police?"

Well, now who were those "some people"? I've got Raykovitz. Anyone else? Or is that what Abraham hopes to discover?

http://articles.philly.com/2011-11-16/news/30405989_1_sexual-abuse-second-mile-jerry-sandusky

Have any of you ever hired a lawyer to investigate your own company? If so, you understand the tricky position they are in.

One of the first items on everyone's agenda is, and must be, who is paying for the legal defense fees.

If anyone wants to see what crimes Megan's Law covers and doesn't cover, that'd be an interesting exercise. It's a start. That's all it is.

Sandusky is not atypical. How many offenses do child predators usually commit before their first conviction? And does that conviction qualify them for a sexual registry--in which states? I know in Oregon, not everyone I think ought to be on the registry is.

LOL LOL LOL So Much for all that openness at Penn State.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/03/attorney_generals_office_subpe.html

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. — Penn State’s in-house lawyer says state prosecutors have served subpoenas on “a number of other university employees,” but she isn’t elaborating.

cynthia baldwin.jpgView full sizeSubmitted photoCynthia Baldwin

General counsel Cynthia Baldwin said on the school’s website today that said it would be up to the employees and their lawyers to say who received them. Baldwin didn’t say what the attorney general’s office was investigating, or how many subpoenas were issued.

A phone message for the AG’s office wasn’t immediately returned.

Last month, the university made public a federal subpoena related to the child sexual abuse scandal for which former assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky is awaiting trial. Sandusky faces 52 counts and denies the allegations.

Baldwin says the university doesn’t plan to make any additional comment about the newly disclosed subpoenas.

Dr F: unless something's changed, that AP story on Pennlive got it wrong on Baldwin. She's no longer General Counsel to PSU.

However, one of the commenters at that article pointed out that she remains, however, an expert on ethical leadership.

"Cynthia A. Baldwin, Vice President and General Counsel, The Pennsylvania State University, Retired Justice, Pennsylvania Supreme Court, will speak on the topic of "The Responsibility of Ethical Leadership."

April 12, 2012
11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

Duquesne Club
325 Sixth Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222

I sure hate that I can't be there. Oh, wait, I wasn't invited.

What kills me is the way public figures get away with their stuff is they just brazenly say it. With a straight face. Just like lowlife con men do. And most people either believe it, or think it's possibly true.

The "open" portion of the program is over. If it ever started. I think not. The shock-and-awe portion we observers are experiencing just continues. And personally, I'm not enjoying it nearly as much as I did its namesake in Iraq.

Dr F: unless something's changed, that AP story on Pennlive got it wrong on Baldwin. She's no longer General Counsel to PSU.

However, one of the commenters at that article pointed out that she remains, however, an expert on ethical leadership.

"Cynthia A. Baldwin, Vice President and General Counsel, The Pennsylvania State University, Retired Justice, Pennsylvania Supreme Court, will speak on the topic of "The Responsibility of Ethical Leadership."

April 12, 2012
11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

Duquesne Club
325 Sixth Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222

I sure hate that I can't be there. Oh, wait, I wasn't invited.

What kills me is the way public figures get away with their stuff is they just brazenly say it. With a straight face. Just like lowlife con men do. And most people either believe it, or think it's possibly true.

The "open" portion of the program is over. If it ever started. I think not. The shock-and-awe portion we observers are experiencing just continues. And personally, I'm not enjoying it nearly as much as I did its namesake in Iraq.

Nope, AP got it right.

Statement regarding additional subpoenas
Friday, March 16, 2012

"The Pennsylvania Attorney General has served personal subpoenas on a number of other University employees. We believe it is appropriate that it be left up to them and their attorneys whether to reveal their identities. The University will have no further comment, consistent with our past policies regarding the ongoing investigations."

-- Cynthia Baldwin, General Counsel for Penn State University

http://live.psu.edu/story/58468

Dr Fessel: yep. I was wrong. She is still in the process of departing, contrary to many media reports that she had departed. She is "transitioning" out of there, working with Damon Sims, vice president for student affairs, as they co-chair a search committee to fill the position. I believe she said she'll stay till they find her replacement. Anyone want to apply? Might be a tough position to fill just now.

Well, at least she's still earning credits toward her existing retirement as long as she's working there.

Baldwin took a lump sum of some $294K from the state employees retirement system before joining PSU, she continued to draw [after leaving her judge position and entering private practice], "...$113,521 in yearly pension benefits in January 2008 accrued over her 29.1 years of state service. Those pension payments stopped when she took her paid position with the university, the records show. During her time with the university, she added to her pension credits."

Everyone spoke as if she had left PSU already. So she has not; and is continuing to add--present tense--to her pension credits. This is as it should be. I wouldn't be in her shoes for the world.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/01/departing_penn_state_in-house.html

Isn't someone convicted in order to be in the registry. After the initial check, aren't any employers going to know that they were convicted.

I do know the Megan's Law list is available publicly. It's online and fee of charge. http://www.pameganslaw.state.pa.us/

That may not show a nonsexual crime against a child, but it relating to molestation.
Anyone can see the Megan's Law site which shows convicted sexual predators. The state's site showing who has been investigated by CPS and had a CPS case opened on them for all types of child abuse cannot be seen online. One does not have to be convicted to show up on this site. (Yes, that is true. It is a long story that can be found online.) CPS cases that are closed without finding are removed from this site after 6 months.)
http://www.dpw.state.pa.us/ucmprd/groups/webcontent/documents/form/s_001762.pdf

From the Breaking News of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Penn State trustees eye changes to board structure

Friday, March 16, 2012

By Bill Schackner, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

HERSHEY, Pa. --- Penn State University trustees are meeting here today, where they are expeted to adopt governance changes to address criticism that members failed to properly address child sex allegations against former assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky.

But even as the board's afternoon session was convened at the Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, there were other developments relating to the ongoing scandal.

Cynthia Baldwin, Penn State's general counsel, issued a statement confirming that state prosecutors have served subpoenas on "a number of other university employees."

Ms. Baldwin, in a statement posted today on the Penn State's website, said that it would be up to the employees and their lawyers to say who received them.

Ms. Baldwin didn't say what the attorney general's office was investigating, or how many subpoenas were issued.

Last month the university made public a federal subpoena related to the child sexual abuse scandal for which Mr. Sandusky is awaiting trial. He faces 52 counts and denies the allegations.

Baldwin said the university doesn't plan to make any additional comment about the newly disclosed subpoenas.

Also today, Quinnipiac University released a poll today showing support for the university's late football coach Joe Paterno.

Pennsylvania voters, by a margin of 46 percent to 40 percent, like the idea of renaming Penn State's Beaver Stadium "Joe Paterno Stadium," according to the Quinnipiac poll.

There was, not surprisingly, even higher support among football fans: 55 percent yes and 37 percent no. Non-football fans are against the idea, 44 percent saying no to 37 percent saying yes.

Those registered to vote who are 65 years old and up support the renaming, 51 percent yes to 32 percent.

"There is lingering respect for Joe Paterno," Tim Malloy, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute, said in a statement this morning. "One has to wonder: If the Sandusky scandal had never happened whether support for renaming the stadium would have approached 100 percent."

The survey of 1,256 registered voters took place March 7-12.

Trustees fired Mr. Paterno in November amid the media firestorm that followed the Nov. 5 arrest of Mr. Sandusky, accused of sexually abusing at least 10 boys over 15 years, some of them on Penn State's University Park campus.

Though Mr. Paterno alerted superiors when informed of one alleged sexual assault in a campus shower in 2002, trustees said Mr. Paterno failed to meet a moral obligation to do more to see that the matter reached the hands of law enforcement. For nearly a decade, it did not.

A statement reiterating that position this week further inflamed alumni supporters of the nation's winningest major college football coach, who died in January at age 85 of complications from lung cancer.

A reform group, Penn Staters for Responsible Stewardship, vowed to send representatives to today's meeting and said the full board must resign.

A half-dozen disenfranchised supporters showed up as today's meeting began, each wearing a white t-shirt with blue letters that collectively spelled out the word "Resign."

Nevertheless, the board has said it wants to stay focused on improving transparency and governance, and said today's proposed changes are a start.

Trustees are expected to act on proposals to create three new board committees, modify three existing ones and establish a steering group of key university officials tasked with providing the full board with more frequent briefings on university matters.

Board Chair Karen Peetz has said faculty are likely to join the 32-member board as non-voting advisory committee members. Students and staff may gain a similar role.

Read more: http://postgazette.com/pg/12076/1217251-454-0.stm#ixzz1pJhNLk7G

Rodney Erickson told the board of trustees this afternoon that the university is enhancing background checks for staff working with children and adding more staffers to oversee its compliance with various federal laws and NCAA rules.

He said Penn State will immediately retrieve keys, access cards and other property from people who aren’t formally associated with the university. Sandusky, charged with sexually assaulting youths on campus, had a key to the football building long after his 1999 retirement.
http://www.dpw.state.pa.us/ucmprd/groups/webcontent/documents/form/s_001762.pdf

It's hard to believe these things have not been in place for decades. A humongous scandal from the suffering of young boys is what it takes to educate "the educated" about child predators. Good grief!

Recap: Was Baldwin ever an leader or just a tool?
url]www.centredaily.com/2012/01/20/3059397/trustees-warned-of-prior-probes.html#storylink=cpy[/url]
Interview with two trustees, pub Jan 20th:
UNIVERSITY PARK — Penn State’s in-house counsel told trustees last May that administrators didn’t think anything would come out of a grand jury investigating Jerry Sandusky because three prior grand juries never recommended charges against him.
That five-minute briefing, the first information trustees say they heard about the allegations of child sex abuse against the former defensive coordinator, was recounted Thursday by trustees Mark Dambly and Joel Myers during a 20-minute interview with the Centre Daily Times.
“We were told in May 2011 ... by Cynthia Baldwin this was the fourth grand jury that was convened. The prior three led to no charges,” Dambly said. He added the trustees were further told something like “ ‘We don’t think there’s anything that’s going to come of this.’ ”

The meeting in May 2011 came a little more than a month after The (Harrisburg) Patriot-News published the first report about Sandusky being the subject of a grand jury investigation.
The newspaper reported two separate incidents, one about a Clinton County boy who alleges Sandusky touched him inappropriately over four years, and another about Sandusky showering with a boy in 1998 on Penn State’s campus…
Furthermore, they said none of the trustees asked follow-up questions after being briefed…
Earlier this week, Penn State announced Baldwin will step down from her post as vice president, general counsel and chief legal officer. [vice president? How does this affect ethical roles?]The university created the position in January 2010 and Baldwin has held it since then, with a plan to step down once the office was established and a replacement found.

Lanny Davis interview pub Jan 18: http://old.post-gazette.com/pg/12018/1204208-143.stm?cmpid=education.xml
"Mr. Spanier and Cynthia Baldwin gave a briefing lasting under an hour regarding the status of the grand jury investigation but limited by the rules of grand jury secrecy,"
It's uncertain if Mr. Spanier informed trustees during the session about a 2002 campus allegation never reported to police that Mr. Sandusky had sexually assaulted a boy in a campus shower.
However, Mr. Davis said "it is my understanding that no one [at the meeting] can recall any mention of the 2002 incident." Let alone 1988, which Spanier knew about. So there were 3 incidents being talked about at the time and the only one trustees admit to hearing about was Clinton. The only thing they recall is a brief description of another investigation of Mr. Sandusky involving alleged misconduct at the Second Mile Foundation" that did not involve Penn State and occurred after Mr. Sandusky retired. Mr. Sandusky founded the nonprofit Second Mile for disadvantaged kids.
"It's my understanding that [trustees] were left with the impression that this was not a serious (campus) matter," he said. He said they apparently did not interpret the briefing as requiring follow-up and did not take further action.
Spanier knew about all three, maybe idn't tell Baldwin about 1998.And then there is Baldwin letting the grand Jury, Curley (and Schultz?) think she represented them because she didn’t want to correct it before the court. And lose her chance to watch what happened. I wouldn't envy her her current role, but I can’t find words for what I think of this woman's recent performance and ethics.

Hmph- Would be nice if one of the new employees suboenaed was Ms. Balwin.

Recap: Was Baldwin ever an leader or just a tool?
url]www.centredaily.com/2012/01/20/3059397/trustees-warned-of-prior-probes.html#storylink=cpy[/url]
Interview with two trustees, pub Jan 20th:
UNIVERSITY PARK — Penn State’s in-house counsel told trustees last May that administrators didn’t think anything would come out of a grand jury investigating Jerry Sandusky because three prior grand juries never recommended charges against him.
That five-minute briefing, the first information trustees say they heard about the allegations of child sex abuse against the former defensive coordinator, was recounted Thursday by trustees Mark Dambly and Joel Myers during a 20-minute interview with the Centre Daily Times.
“We were told in May 2011 ... by Cynthia Baldwin this was the fourth grand jury that was convened. The prior three led to no charges,” Dambly said. He added the trustees were further told something like “ ‘We don’t think there’s anything that’s going to come of this.’ ”

The meeting in May 2011 came a little more than a month after The (Harrisburg) Patriot-News published the first report about Sandusky being the subject of a grand jury investigation.
The newspaper reported two separate incidents, one about a Clinton County boy who alleges Sandusky touched him inappropriately over four years, and another about Sandusky showering with a boy in 1998 on Penn State’s campus…
Furthermore, they said none of the trustees asked follow-up questions after being briefed…
Earlier this week, Penn State announced Baldwin will step down from her post as vice president, general counsel and chief legal officer. [vice president? How does this affect ethical roles?]The university created the position in January 2010 and Baldwin has held it since then, with a plan to step down once the office was established and a replacement found.

Lanny Davis interview pub Jan 18: http://old.post-gazette.com/pg/12018/1204208-143.stm?cmpid=education.xml
"Mr. Spanier and Cynthia Baldwin gave a briefing lasting under an hour regarding the status of the grand jury investigation but limited by the rules of grand jury secrecy,"
It's uncertain if Mr. Spanier informed trustees during the session about a 2002 campus allegation never reported to police that Mr. Sandusky had sexually assaulted a boy in a campus shower.
However, Mr. Davis said "it is my understanding that no one [at the meeting] can recall any mention of the 2002 incident." Let alone 1988, which Spanier knew about. So there were 3 incidents being talked about at the time and the only one trustees admit to hearing about was Clinton. The only thing they recall is a brief description of another investigation of Mr. Sandusky involving alleged misconduct at the Second Mile Foundation" that did not involve Penn State and occurred after Mr. Sandusky retired. Mr. Sandusky founded the nonprofit Second Mile for disadvantaged kids.
"It's my understanding that [trustees] were left with the impression that this was not a serious (campus) matter," he said. He said they apparently did not interpret the briefing as requiring follow-up and did not take further action.
Spanier knew about all three, maybe idn't tell Baldwin about 1988.[/I]And then there is Baldwin letting the grand Jury, Curley (and Schultz?) think she represented them because she didn’t want to correct it before the court. And lose her chance to watch what happened. I wouldn't envy her her current role, but I can’t find words for what I think of this woman's recent performance and ethics.

BBM....I'm sorry, I'm confused about the 1988 date...checked the timelines and don't see an incident listed for that year? TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Donwes