Penn State Sandusky scandal: AD arrested, Paterno, Spanier fired; coverup charged #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From Wikipedia:
(Erickson) was promoted to full professor in 1984. He has been part of the university's administration since 1995, when he became dean of Penn State's graduate school. He was promoted to provost in 1999.

I hope they give due diligence to whether or not he knew about Sandusky before "cleaning house". If he is dismissed because of this scandal, he will likely be unable to find another position in higher education, which would be unfortunate if he were truly unaware.

I do understand the need to cut out the cancer, but it doesn't help the victims any to harm innocent people, and I believe there may be people connected to the University who really didn't know enough about Sandusky to take any action.

Those who did, I agree, need to be dismissed immediately.
This is why the medical literature states that preferential pedophiles will have 50-70 victims. One study estimated that non-incestuous pedophiles who molest boys had committed an average of 282 offenses against 150 victims.

These individuals seduce victims and they scam adults who would block their access to children. They present themselves up as "great guys" to other adults.. Because very few individuals are sexually attracted to children (only 1-4%), few suspect the true intentions of the pedophile.

...it's already been implied Paterno's helping the prosecution and has been since he already testified before the GJ...but I'm posting it... Hearsay or not... Can't quote much cuz it's short... Let's just say I hope it's true.

http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2011/11/17/2569775/good-news-for-psu-if-true.

Seems like such strong exculpation of Paterno would have been in the Grand Jury Presentment (GJP) report if true. To find such things in the GJP I wanted searchable version but I could only find non-searchable .pdf versions online. So I used OCR to convert it to a text file. Tried to clean it up but of course it still must have errors here and there. I have attached the rich text version of the GJP in case you want to have a searchable version of it.

Attachments

I do believe before it is over...there will be ample evidence that JoePa knew...and knew a long time ago.

You know stilettos, I've always loved your shoes.

I have to agree with you that many officials at the University, including head coach JoePa, knew what Jerry was up to.

My reasoning comes from first hand knowledge and putting two and two together in my own math skills.

I went to high school and graduated with Jerry Sandusky. I knew Jerry but not well enough to call him a friend. He hung out with all the jocks cause he played basketball, football and ran track. And he was an excellent player. Don't every recall him having a steady girlfriend in high school so I didn't see him at the dances that were so popular in those days. But I do recall him at the Bronson House, the activity center his father, Art, managed.

When he was named assistant coach at the University he attended, he was the local boy make good in our small home town of Washington, PA. Everyone expected he would take over the role as head coach at Penn State. It was always rumored in town that Jerry was a favorite of Coach Joe.

However, that didn't come true and there was talk that Joe decided not to retire and had told Jerry he wasn't handing over the head coach job. That's was around 1998-99. Everyone I spoke with back in my home town all seemed as if Jerry had gotten a rotten deal not being handed the head coaching job he had been primed for and promised. It was a head shaking, feel-sorry-for-Jerry situation. That's how we all understood his not getting the job came about.

Now comes a timeline from the current investigation where Jerry retires from the coaching staff in 1999. When I take into consideration that he leaves the staff at that time, it adds up for me that it was known what he was up to and he was forced to retire.

I think many big shots at Penn State were aware of Jerry's abuse of youngsters. I believe it was easier for Penn State to take him out of the picture than it was to investigate and risk the possibility of his behavior becoming public. In other words, they dumped Jerry and covered up what they knew of his crimes. The underlying reason was to save the school from a sure-fire, all hell breaks loose scandal that would rock the college football world.

Perhaps I'm wrong. And time will tell. But from my stand point I believe Penn State took steps to save its reputation instead of considering the lives of the children who were abused.

Since this news broke, I have heard from many of my former classmates. Everyone is shocked by the news and can not think of any telltale clues that Jerry Sandusky could be this monster.

Just My O.

I think (and I do that a lot but not always well) that it's already been implied Paterno's helping the prosecution and has been since he already testified before the GJ and has not been accused of perjury as other University employees have.

I said before I wouldn't post this... but I'm posting it... Hearsay or not... Can't quote much cuz it's short... Let's just say I hope it's true.

http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2011/11/17/2569775/good-news-for-psu-if-true

Mods, please delete my post if this is too blog-gy.

I don't know where that information comes from because it hasn't been reported anywhere.

It's a nice thought, but I don't believe it ever happened, sorry. :twocents:

Thanks for your personal perspective on Sandusky, Azwriter. :blowkiss:

Seems like such strong exculpation of Paterno would have been in the Grand Jury Presentment (GJP) report if true. To find such things in the GJP I wanted searchable version but I could only find non-searchable .pdf versions online. So I used OCR to convert it to a text file. Tried to clean it up but of course it still must have errors here and there. I have attached the rich text version of the GJP in case you want to have a searchable version of it.

Thank you for creating the searchable doc. I appreciate you taking the time to convert it as it will make life much easier.

As for the info not being contained in the presentment, I don't think it would. The purpose of the presentment is to get an indictment. It is a 23 page summary of all testimony with the purpose of indicting Sandusky, I wouldn't expect a section dedicated to exculpating anyone.

A document that was supposed to be sealed was leaked for some reason. Why was it leaked at all? Why was it leaked prior to the planned Monday morning arrest of Sandusky? "Clerical error" my rear end. "Clerical errors" of this magnitude don't just happen. There was a reason it happened. How was the media able to get their hands on it before the mistake was rectified? There'd be no ratings here if certain individuals were excluded.
There'd be no calling for the crucifixion of Paterno if the PSP commander or esteemed governor wouldn't have said he should have done more. Forget the AG's statement that he did no wrong, I'm sure she wasn't in on the proceedings. McQueary puts out an e-mail to say that's not how it happened - wrong. Paterno says nothing to clarify the summary of his testimony - wrong again.

Political games are afoot, my posting friends. One non-profit donates $600k+ to the gov's campaign while ALL big gas co's in the state combined donated only $1M. Big gas had a lot riding on this guy. What did Second Mile have riding on this guy?

I don't know where that information comes from because it hasn't been reported anywhere.

It's a nice thought, but I don't believe it ever happened, sorry. :twocents:

Appreciate your thoughts. No need to apologize, you are entitled to your opinion as much as I am to mine. It's hearsay - 4th hand from AG Office... Hearsay information is perfectly acceptable, no? Nah, not this time, it's not good for the ratings.

We'll just keep on keepin on about the hearsay witness that followed the statute in place in the Commonwealth on reporting child abuse, get him fired while perjurers go on admin leave, go back into retirement and have their legal bills paid for by PSU. And above all else, we'll definitely keep the guy who committed the crimes out of the spotlight by throwing pics of that despicable Paterno into every article written on accused. It'll keep ratings up...

Here in Chattanooga, we had a couple of high profile pedophiles with the same type of job working with children - because that's the type of job that is attractive to these guys. That's how they stay under the radar, while convincing people that they are "helping" underprivileged children.

One was a local weatherman who set up a science lab for kids in a mall. Soon every school in the county was parading children past him day in and day out. My own children, including a son, went on field trips there - and I went with them!!! Then the guy was arrested for soliciting boys behind a grocery store and it all hit the fan. :furious: He was so high profile that it was hushed up quickly, and now it's hard to find news stories about the case, but here's one from Jacksonville, FL, where he worked before coming to TN.
http://jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/030999/met_2b3Law_D.html

Another was a youth minister at a large Baptist church who lured boys into a special room he had set up inside the church with a trunk full of *advertiser censored*! And it turned out later that his brother was in jail as a pedophile also, but he tried to blame the *advertiser censored* on him - omg. I think the "youth minister" was giving private music lessons, and that's how he kept it hidden. The church possibly could have brushed it under the carpet, and some of the other church members stood by the pedophile even in court, but I've always been glad that guy got caught before he bothered anyone else.

You can read some of the details in the court filing here:
http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_31084.asp

I recall the incidents involving DW and even remember when he publicly addressed the rumors about an emergency trip to the hospital on tv, but I can't remember anything about the youth minister being charged..

ETA.. I'm thinking the news about the youth minister came out not too long after my husband died... Could be WHY I don't remember ..JMHO

Appreciate your thoughts. No need to apologize, you are entitled to your opinion as much as I am to mine. It's hearsay - 4th hand from AG Office... Hearsay information is perfectly acceptable, no? Nah, not this time, it's not good for the ratings.

We'll just keep on keepin on about the hearsay witness that followed the statute in place in the Commonwealth on reporting child abuse, get him fired while perjurers go on admin leave, go back into retirement and have their legal bills paid for by PSU. And above all else, we'll definitely keep the guy who committed the crimes out of the spotlight by throwing pics of that despicable Paterno into every article written on accused. It'll keep ratings up...

Scorp, I like the way you think.

You know stilettos, I've always loved your shoes.

I have to agree with you that many officials at the University, including head coach JoePa, knew what Jerry was up to.
Respectfully shortened

I understand why you have thoughts that all of the university administration must have known that Sandusky was a pedo after the 1998 molestation. The university and Joe Pa had no way to determine if Sandusky had actually used bathing an indigent child as an excuse to molest him (the 1998 molestation) because this was Sandusky's first pedo charge.

Sandusky used showering with an indigent child as a excellent ruse. <modsnip>

The university and Joe Pa had no control over Sandusky access to children. There are not children enrolled at Penn State. Second Mile's administration had control over Sandusky's access to children. Mill Hall, Pa administration had control over Sandusky's access to children.

[o/t, or at least our thread's topic - the matter of Syracuse assistant basketball coach Bernie Fine is heating up with another alleged victim of abuse coming forward (which makes three). There's a [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154994"]thread on WS[/ame] though it's not doing great business as yet.
At this point it looks like the PSU case writ small, though if the accusations are true and are proven, it could seriously affect the basketball program, the university, and the Syracuse police, who allegedly found nothing in their 2005 (I think it was) investigation of the charges.]

Scorp, I&#8217;ve given a good deal of thought today about the article and link you posted last night.

I&#8217;d like to ask you a question about these crucial points that were brought out as being rumored regarding Joe Paterno&#8217;s action AND reaction to the 2002 rape:

-The grand jury terstimony shows that 3 days after McQueary talked with Curley and Schultz, Paterno followed up and was told a full investigation was underway to investigate these matters.

-Not hearing anything, 3 months later, Paterno followed up and was told that the police and the DA were not going to pursue the matter.

-Paterno's reaction was one of anger and that he demanded that Sandusky be barred from campus. Paterno was told that he did not have that authority.

-Paterno then said that he was going to bar Sandusky from the football facility and was told he did have the authority.

If these four points are true, Joe Paterno would go from ZERO to HERO in the eyes of many, including myself.

My question?

Why wouldn&#8217;t a highly respected 84 year old man, who is also rumored to have even told a sitting President of The United States to &#8220;SHOVE IT&#8221;, simply call a press conference and state these four points as fact, while offering any supporting information possible PRIOR to loosing his job and reputation?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKfpiN4a4dk"]JoePa tells Nixon to "Shove It!" - YouTube[/ame]

Respectfully shortened

I understand why you have thoughts that all of the university administration must have known that Sandusky was a pedo after the 1998 molestation. The university and Joe Pa had no way to determine if Sandusky had actually used bathing an indigent child as an excuse to molest him (the 1998 molestation) because this was Sandusky's first pedo charge.

Sandusky used showering with an indigent child as a excellent ruse. <modsnip>

The university and Joe Pa had no control over Sandusky access to children. There are not children enrolled at Penn State. Second Mile's administration had control over Sandusky's access to children. Mill Hall, Pa administration had control over Sandusky's access to children.

Second Mile is...Penn State.

At their best, those strong social and financial links helped the board turn the charity Sandusky founded in 1977 into the most dominant nonprofit for at-risk youth in central Pennsylvania.

At worst, analysts fear, they may have blurred the lines of personal responsibility, putting top leaders in positions where their strong ties to the university and the Sandusky brand prevented them from acting as independent governors.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20111127_Scrutinizing_Second_Mile_board_links.html

Thank you for creating the searchable doc. I appreciate you taking the time to convert it as it will make life much easier.

As for the info not being contained in the presentment, I don't think it would. The purpose of the presentment is to get an indictment. It is a 23 page summary of all testimony with the purpose of indicting Sandusky, I wouldn't expect a section dedicated to exculpating anyone.

A document that was supposed to be sealed was leaked for some reason. Why was it leaked at all? Why was it leaked prior to the planned Monday morning arrest of Sandusky? "Clerical error" my rear end. "Clerical errors" of this magnitude don't just happen. There was a reason it happened. How was the media able to get their hands on it before the mistake was rectified? There'd be no ratings here if certain individuals were excluded.
There'd be no calling for the crucifixion of Paterno if the PSP commander or esteemed governor wouldn't have said he should have done more. Forget the AG's statement that he did no wrong, I'm sure she wasn't in on the proceedings. McQueary puts out an e-mail to say that's not how it happened - wrong. Paterno says nothing to clarify the summary of his testimony - wrong again.

Political games are afoot, my posting friends. One non-profit donates $600k+ to the gov's campaign while ALL big gas co's in the state combined donated only $1M. Big gas had a lot riding on this guy. What did Second Mile have riding on this guy?

Are you really suggesting Big Oil is behind this? That fails the test of Occam's razor: "simpler explanations are, other things being equal, generally better than more complex ones."

The simplest explanation is that the cover-up is a result of the culture Paterno created.

THE LATEST chapter in the scandal that won't stop isn't really new news. Anyone with even a passing interest or knowledge of Joe Paterno's football program knows the old man was an old-school control freak before he grew old, before this week's Wall Street Journal story described an environment in which the school's former chief disciplinarian, Vicky Triponey, was continually interfered with by Paterno as she attempted to discipline his players for student code violations, as well as criminal-like behavior.

http://articles.philly.com/2011-11-...r-and-paterno-penn-state-switzer-s-oklahoma/2

~Respectfully Snipped~

$3,000,000.00 that we know of.

Second Mile is...Penn State.
Lord have mercy. It is not.

If you are stating that Second Mile is Penn State because the mascot once wore a Second Mile t-shirt, know that the Penn State mascot also wears Show Your Support for Special Olympics paraphernalia. If you stated this because wealthy benefactors have given money to Penn State and Second Mile, please realize that they give money to many not-for-profit organizations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member