Penn State Sandusky Trial #11 (Verdict - GUILTY!)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

How long will the jury deliberate?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know some concern has been expressed for the Juror who smiled at JS etc. Perhaps that smile means something else in his mind. Your going down Jer. Your going down.

Matt Sandusky testified before the grand jury the he was not abused. If he took the stand and said he was he could be charged with perjury. Understandable that he was. It ready to admit it, but knowing this he couldn't go. This being said, there are more children who were abused that were not included in this trial that if he should get off, the DA will prosecute on these other cases. Since Matt would be called In front of the Grand jury he could tell the truth and this time would not a liability.

That had to be so validating for the Victim's to hear Matt admit. Now for the Jury to come thru.

I tend to think that juries that are sequestered together for long trials end up with more powerful and connected "group think". Even if they haven't talked about a case until deliberations, which from reports from the Anthony case that jury instruction was not adhered to, they are around each other 24/7. And they are away from everything and everyone that is normal to them. It becomes much harder to disagree with a assertive or aggressive juror. I'm positive that had the Pinellas 12 jury not been completely sequestered it would have been a hung jury. And in the Anthony case they were upset to be held over the fourth of July holiday and honestly just wanted it over with even if it meant not giving a little 2 year old murder victim justice. Basically they just wanted to go home and you run that risk with sequestered juries.

It also didn't help that any potential juror who heard too much about the case had to be automatically striken. That left a pool of potential jurors that are by nature skeptical. Add in 12 people who don't think juries should connect the dots and you have the ending that we saw in the Anthony case.

What gives me hope is that this particular jury are very highly educated.

But it takes the same amount of time to fill out "Guilty" on all the forms, and announce that verdict in court, as it does to fill out "Non-Guilty" on the forms, and announce that verdict....

I watched Rock Center. This latest victim is very convincing. The reporter said that there is a second group of young men that came forward after the current trial indictments. If he is acquitted they will go after him with the next group of victims. My guess is that Matt will be included in that group, should it become necessary.

THIS IS HUGE. It means JS's fate does not depend on a Pennslvania jury that was hamstrung by arachaic laws that allowed his lawyer to spew lie upon lie in his closing while preventing the jury from learning about the effect sexual abuse miught have on a victim.

Today JS went into a conference with the judge right after the states closing argument. ....While the state presented its closing, sandusky sat there with a sick smile on his face, looking at the jurors, just the cats meow.

hi five dottie.

in that conference sandusky learned a couple of things...1. matt was going to testify against him 2. so were others 3. it would be in federal court.

when he came back to court all the IS commentators noted that the sick smirk was GONE.

bye bye smirk. bye bye jerry.

his future no longer depends on this happy valley jury, and thats a good, no, a great thing.:great:

what a relief.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/06/jerry_sandusky_trial_media_thr.html

BELLEFONTE -- News reporters and their affiliated media organization will face sanctions if they report the Jerry Sandusky sex abuse trial verdict before court is adjourned, Judge John Cleland ruled in a decorum order this morning.

The verdict will be announced count-by-count, in order by count number. Sandusky, a 68-year-old former Penn State coach, is charged with 48 counts related to child molestation.

That'll take a while -- Chocoholics Alert!! -- Buy an extra bag or box just to hear the verdict read.
icon10.gif

As an alumna of Penn State I have to say something.

So much of central Pa is tied to Penn State, it's
Everywhere. Everyone has a connection in some fashion.
It was the only place I applied to, the only place I ever dreamed of going.

When people say that they think he'll get off because of his "legendary status" I have to disagree.

As an alumna, I'm so disgusted and hurt by the stain his actions have brought on my beloved alma mater, that I can't see straight. I would be more likely so lean to convict rather than aquit just because of his "reputation".

It's so hard right now to admit where my diploma is from, but I hope that when this is over people will think of us and remember us for our hearts: the millions of dollars raised for the 4 diamonds fund and how Alumni banded together the weekend after the scandal broke and raised over 11 million dollars for rainn, a charity that provides help for children of abuse.

I hope that in the upcoming hours that justice will be served, that these victims can find some way to go on and heal and that people will think of Penn State for the good we do and not just for the actions of one horrible, terrible monster.

For the Glory,
Sneezy
PSU c/o 1995

Its just a play on words with literary terminology.
Nothing to be taken seriously, I promise. Flannery O Connor would have little if anything to do with this situation. Its just someone trying to commentate poetic.

Eta: just google southern gothic and you'll see the connection... Albeit an extremely loose one imho.

Well, I did a blog by that title. http://www.centredaily.com/2012/02/04/3078101/central-pennsylvania-gothic.html

It was how this scandal has just so destroyed so much of the perceptions of Penn State, Centre County and Central Pennsylvania. It is a Gothic horror story on so many levels. Basically, in less than a week, so much was swept away, justly or not.

I'm drawing the analogy with traditional Gothic horror.

I wrote:

It has all the elements of a gothic horror story, Stephen King meets Peyton Place. A stalwart of the community alleged to be pedophilic monster, who preyed on young innocent victims. A secular priesthood of administrators allegedly hiding the monster in the cloister of the university. A pervasive evil allegedly reaching out into the community under the guise of great institutions for learning and charity. A riot in the streets. Interconnections between individuals and institutions that looks metaphorically as incestuous as the Habsburg family tree. A paladin of law enforcement, who was supposed to fight this monster, who seemingly laid down his sword and later vanishing off the face of the earth. All these are elements of Central Pennsylvania Gothic, a horror unimagined until 2011.

Yes, this has me rattled. And it just keeps on getting worse.

To Sneezy

Hugs. I know I would feel exactly the same way if it were my alma mater instead of PSU.

The damage JS has inflicted almost knows no boundaries, when one stops to think about it.

Oh one last thing before I go to bed:

Thanks to all to who provided snacks, I am truly grateful but I have one question:

WHY DO YOU ALL HATE NACHOS?!?

:floorlaugh:

I only wish the son that was molested would of been a chance to tell his story! That would of sealed the deal. Please don't let this pervert walk the streets again!

He had the opportunity to come forward earlier. I am not juding him for not coming forward. Each in their own time. This is a really tough time for all of the abused.

As an alumna, I'm so disgusted and hurt by the stain his actions have brought on my beloved alma mater, that I can't see straight. I would be more likely so lean to convict rather than aquit just because of his "reputation".

Great post!

If I had to judge Sandusky on what he did, not only to my alma mater, to a part of the state why my family has been for the last two centuries, to the part of the state where I grew up, and to a guy I've been writing about for three years, it would be guilty. And it would probably be a hanging offense!

This isn't about the kids, but it is how I feel. I keep on having to remind myself that Sandusky is not charged with that, and I don't get to make that call.

J. J. in Phila, Class of '85

AZ loves Pennsylvania! xoxo OH too! Look at who did this. I'd go after DS in a heartbeat. I'm chewing on cactus here not to say what I really want to but may justice be served to this monster. The creepiest of creeps. I pray for the victims. They need us.

Praying for PA! Mend fast! We love you!

I DVR'd rock center with Brian Williams, just saw the Travis Weaver interview. If he's lying, he ought to get an Academy Award. He's got the "1000 yard stare" I've seen in my friends who have recounted stories of sexual abuse to me.
It's nice to know even if Jerry manages to beat these charges (he won't, IMO) that there
are more charges coming. I doubt Jerry will ever again see the light of day after tommorow, or Monday at the latest.
JMO

That would be me the only vote for after lunch today. I don't know. I felt confident this morning. I figure most have the answer in their head. Just have to hash out details. Jmo.atm.

I DVR'd rock center with Brian Williams, just saw the Travis Weaver interview. If he's lying, he ought to get an Academy Award. He's got the "1000 yard stare" I've seen in my friends who have recounted stories of sexual abuse to me.
It's nice to know even if Jerry manages to beat these charges (he won't, IMO) that there
are more charges coming. I doubt Jerry will ever again see the light of day after tommorow, or Monday at the latest.
JMO

I just watched it myself and ITA. In addition, I saw a smoldering rage behind those eyes. Also, he had straight-forward answers to the questions and didn't add any extra information. When given free reign to tell how he was abused, he made a verbal list and left it at that. This must have been so difficult for him.

I'm pleased he went to the GJ and his testimony there is on the record. The defense can't say he heard it all in the media and parroted what had been said by others.

I hope he is getting psychological help. He seemed to be a time bomb ready to go off. He frightened me.

BBM: I understand your point, but how could anyone take pride in going to a school that it's pretty clear enabled a pedophile in so many ways?

I wrote this on an earlier thread, but if it were my alma mater I would never claim association with the institution again, insofar as I could avoid it, if the jury acquits.

I hope the jurors with PSU ties feel the same way. If not, Happy Valley will clearly have proved itself to be not Happy Valley but CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA GOTHIC!

And the entire world will recognize that.

I thought Dan Patrick said it best on his radio show yesterday, for the Penn State football fan, this is about Joe Paterno's legacy. Just as it was for everyone involved in the 2001 incident -- McQueary, Dranov, Curley, Schultz.

It's not about trying to protect PSU. I believe that gets lost on the non-sports fans. It's difficult to comprehend that the PSU football fan would rather protect the legacy of JoePa even if doing so would be detrimental to his alma mater.

That'll take a while -- Chocoholics Alert!! -- Buy an extra bag or box just to hear the verdict read.
icon10.gif

I am hoping that the judge reconsiders this decision and would let one Reporter tweet to a pool situation. Let a deputy sit alongside the reporter (I suggest Sarah Ganim) and let her tweet/text the verdicts to a pool.

Kind of draconian of the judge to be this inflexible IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IamNobody