Penn State Sandusky Trial #11 (Verdict - GUILTY!)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

How long will the jury deliberate?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
As were we with the Casey Anthony trial. Turns out it wasn't just one juror we had to worry about but the entire lot of them.

You just never know what a jury is going to do. It's helpful that this jury hasn't been completely sequestered since day one and this trial hasn't been as long.

RBBM--I tend to agree JSR, but would love to hear your reasons.

"BELLEFONTE -- Matt Sandusky, through his attorney Andrew Shubin, said that he met with prosecutors this week to say for the first time that he is a molestation victim of Jerry Sandusky, his adopted father. Matt, 33, was adopted by Jerry and Dottie Sandusky as an adult, after going to live with the family as a foster child."

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/06/attorney_for_jerry_sanduskys_a.html

I know the juror's are sequestered but things happen. If they hear about this, is there a risk of a mistrial? Feeling a little paranoia creep in.

Updated timeline re Matt Sandusky:
(Amendola wonders how Jerry could have turned into a full-bore pedo at age 55. He's about 46 when he focusses on Matt. Who was earlier?)

Excellent article posted by WM: placed into the Timeline chronology, it** shows :
1977: Jerry Sandusky, recently promoted to defensive coordinator at Penn State, forms "The Second Mile," an organization with the mission of helping troubled young boys, particularly those from absent or dysfunctional families.
Jan. 1, 1982: Penn State wins its first national championship with a 27-23 win over No. 1 Georgia.
**Sales from his football book, “Developing Linebackers,” provided the seed money, along with donations and celebrity golf tournaments that would soon become an annual affair.
**In 1981, The Second Mile bought a 20-acre plot on Bernel Road for $64,000.
** 1982: The next year, the state licensed The Second Mile to serve as a private foster care agency.
** By October 1982, at least three foster children – all boys, ages 10 to 18 -- lived in the house. An article in The Daily Collegian, the Penn State newspaper, described a typical day: Doing chores, playing games and going on picnics with the house parents, a couple chosen by Sandusky and The Second Mile. Each resident had a member of the Penn State football team as a mentor.
**In 1983, The Second Mile hired Jack Raykovitz, who had recently finished his Ph.D. in school psychology at Penn State. In its early days, Raykovitz ran the day-to-day operations of the charity, which included week-long camps -- first for boys, then also for girls -- on the Penn State campus. He signed off on licensing documents for the foster care agency. For a short time, state records show, he also provided psychological counseling to some of the foster children.
M 1985 or 86: Matthew Sandusky had joined The Second Mile around age 7, along with his younger brother, Ron Heichel, a bigger and more rambunctious kid than shy and reserved Matt. Hiechel later says he was jealous of the attention Jerry paid to Matt.
1986: Jerry Sandusky is named Assistant Coach of the Year (says Wikipedia)
Jan. 2, 1987: Sandusky's punishing defense intercepts Heisman-winning quarterback Vinny Testaverde five times, lifting Penn State to a 14-10 upset of No. 1 Miami and the school's second national title.
October 1987: In an interview with NBC News, Sandusky discusses his affinity for working with children: "I enjoy being around children. I enjoy their enthusiasm. I just have a good time with them."

1988: Jack Reykovitz becomes President of Second Mile

In 1988, records show the charity stopped actively operating as a foster care agency, but it kept its license active through 2011
M 1989: Sandusky entered the lives of the Longs as a mentor when Matt was 10 years old, via The Second Mile charity
November 1990: Praise for The Second Mile's work with children is widespread. President George H.W. Bush names The Second Mile one of his 1,000 points of light.
1993: In Touched, JS says that when Matt was entering eighth grade JS convinced Matt’s mother to an agreement whereby Matt would study and spend time with the Sanduskys. In exchange for which he would be rewarded with money, part of which was to go into a college fund for him, and part of which was to be cash in hand. Matt would have to sign a contract. (see pg 101 of Touched)
For a while Matt did better in school, then slid back after he goes to the Orlando Citrus Bowl with Jerry and family. At a baseball game, Matt`s mother and her boyfriend ended the contract and it was difficult for Jerry to see Matt. P 101, Touched
Dec 30, 1993: Tim Curley named Director of Athletics
1994: Sandusky meets one of his earliest alleged victims, a 10-year-old boy identified as Victim 7, through the Second Mile program. Several years later, Sandusky invites the boy to football games at Penn State and State College Area High School, according to a grand jury report.
September 1994- Starts molesting No.7
M 1994: In 1994 the police were called to Sandusky’s home to investigate a theft of cash and clothing that Matt had been accused of stealing.
1994-95
Boy known as Victim 6 meets Sandusky at a Second Mile picnic at Spring Creek Park when he is 7 or 8 years old.
M January 1995: Matt is 16. Jerry Sandusky was in Los Angeles preparing for the 1995 Rose Bowl game when he made calls back to Centre County and arranged for Matt to move to Sandusky’s house directly from juvenile detention, where Matt was being held after his arrest for setting fire to a barn
In `Touched`the person who arranged Matt`s placement is said to be Tim Janoko. Janoko was a football player for Sandusky and became his close friend. He started and led a chapter of Second Mle and was a Director of TSM in 2011. P102 Touched. Janoko visited Matt in detention and said he wanted to be l=placed with the Sanduskys.
Jan. 2, 1995: Penn State completes its last undefeated season with a 38-20 win over Oregon in the Rose Bowl. The team finishes No. 2 in the nation behind Nebraska.
1995: Cynthia Baldwin joins Penn Board of Trustees
Sept 1, 1995 Graham Spanier becime head of Penn State
1995: Gerry Schultz, with Penn State since 1971, is promoted to VP of Finanace and Business
M Beginning of 1996:
About four months after moving to the Sandusky home, Matt attempted suicide with a girl living at the Sandusky home. [A commenter says the girl was Dottie’s niece, which makes more sense than Kara, and it doesn’t sound as if they were fostering girls.]
Police records… show that Matt ran away in 1996.
In a letter from school-based probation officer, Terry Trude expressed concerns about Matt’s placement with the Sandusky’s, even though he acknowledged that Matt should remain in foster care.
Sandusky wrote that after Matt attempted suicide, “It got to the point where the authorities were going to take him away from us, but fortunately two people stepped in and, in our eyes, saved that young man’s life.”
One was a psychologist, (Dr. Fox) who wrote a letter telling the judge that Matt should go back into the Sandusky home. Matt wrote a similar letter to the judge asking to return. The other person was Judge Grine, now retired.
A school probation officer, Terry Trude, wrote a letter voicing concern about Matt’s safety, days after the 1996 suicide attempt, saying he did not believe the Sandusky home was the appropriate place for Matt.
[Reviewing the case, an expert says that not many foster homes would take a fire starter.]
1996 to 99 Victim 7, aged 11 to 14.
** Fall 1996: Sandusky meets an 8-year-old boy identified in the grand jury report as Victim 5 at a Second Mile camp on the Penn State campus. Sandusky befriends the boy, taking him to at least 15 Penn State football games, according to the report. Victim 5 tells investigators that Sandusky would often put his hand on his left leg when they were driving in Sandusky's car, whenever the boy sat in the front seat.
(Later amended to say contact with Victim 5 began in August 2001)
October 1996 Starts contact with Victim 4 which continues to December 2000: Sandusky becomes close with a 12-year-old identified in the grand jury report as Victim 4, who is in his second year of the Second Mile program. victim) he could be a walk-on player at Penn State," and the boy appeared in a linebacker video featuring Sandusky, and a photo accompanying an article about Sandusky in Sports Illustrated, the report says.
M 1997/8 When Matt turns adult at 18, and no longer “belongs” to his mother, Sandusky adopts him. Presumably this gets his college paid for by Jerry’s status at Penn. At least some of Matt’s files are sealed.
** 1996-1998: Sandusky takes Victim 5, between 8 and 10 years old at the time, to the Penn State football facility for a workout, according to the grand jury report. Afterward, the boy tells investigators, Sandusky takes him to the sauna and pushes him "about a little bit," then showers with the boy. During the shower, the boy tells investigators, Sandusky rubs the boy's arms and shoulders and becomes aroused.
--2---
Summer 1997- 1999 Relationship with Victim 10, age 10-11
Fall 1997: Victim 10, who came forward after Sandusky was charged. Ganim says: a troubled boy who became involved in The Second Mile at age 10. Sandusky started to take interest in him after his first summer at camp, called his mom and invited him to a football game… The relationship ended when Sandusky asked him to perform a sex act in the car during a trip and he refused.
Jan. 1, 1998
Victim 4 is listed, along with Sandusky's wife, as a member of Sandusky's family party for the 1998 Outback Bowl. Timeline:
** May 3 1998: Sandusky showers with an 11 year-old boy (Victim 6) and washes the boy's body in the football locker room, according to the grand jury report. University Police and Child Protective Services investigate, with the support of Wendell Courtney, the university counsel who later served as counsel to The Second Mile. The mother of the boy confronts Sandusky at her home as a university police detective and a municipal police detective listen in on the conversation. Sandusky admits the inappropriate conduct, telling the mother: "I was wrong. I wish I could get forgiveness. I know I won't get it from you. I wish I were dead." He makes a similar admission to an investigator with the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare. The university police detective advises Sandusky not to shower with a child again, and Sandusky promises he would not. No charges are filed.
** May 13, 1998: Detectives listen in as the mother of Victim 6 confronts Sandusky about showering with her son and the effect it had on her son. She asks Sandusky if he had sexual feelings when he hugged her naked son. Sandusky admits showering with other boys as well, but refuses to promise that he never to shower with a boy again. The mother of Victim 6 asks Sandusky if his "private parts" touched Victim 6 when he hugged him. Sandusky says, "I don't think so ... maybe."
But in 1998, according to a grand jury report, Victim No. 6, who is now 24, told his mother he had showered with Sandusky in Penn State's Holuba Hall. Wendell Courtney, Penn State's general counsel, reviewed that report on behalf of the university before submitting it to then-Centre County District Attorney Ray Gricar.
** May 15, 1998: Sandusky speaks at State College Area High School commencement ceremonies at the Bryce Jordan Center on the Penn State campus.
** May 19, 1998: Sandusky meets again with the mother of Victim 6, who says he cannot see the boy anymore. Sandusky, overheard by two detectives who are listening in, says: "I understand. I was wrong. I wish I could get forgiveness. I know I won't get it from you. I wish I were dead."
** June 1, 1998: Sandusky admits to Jerry Lauro, an investigator with the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare, that he showered naked with Victim 6 and hugged the boy while in the shower. He concedes that his behavior is wrong and promises not to shower with any child again.
1998: Penn State police and Lauro drop their cases.
June 19, 1998: Sandusky hosts the annual Second Mile golf outing.
** Jan. 1, 1999: Sandusky coaches in Penn State's 26-14 win over Kentucky in the Outback Bowl. Victim 4 tells investigators he traveled to the bowl game with Sandusky's family party. The same boy said he often stayed with Sandusky and the team at the Toftrees resort near the Penn State campus the night before home games and accompanied Sandusky to charity outings.
1999: Relationships with Victim 7 and 10 end.
** May 1999: Paterno tells Sandusky that he would not be the next coach. Victim 4 later tells investigators he remembered Sandusky being upset after seeing Paterno. Sandusky told the victim not to tell anyone about the meeting.
July 1, 1999: Athletic director Tim Curley issues a press release announcing Sandusky's decision to retire following the 1999 season. …His achievement as a human being, Curley says, "is splendidly demonstrated by the thousands of youngsters he touches annually through The Second Mile."
August 1999: Penn State players honor Sandusky at the team's media day event, saying they only wanted him in the photo with them, not Paterno. After Paterno moves out of camera range, Sandusky jokes: "I've waited 30 years for that!"
November 1999: Penn state loses three straight games to end the regular season, including Sandusky's final home game - a 31-27 comeback win for Michigan.
Victim 4 testified before a grand jury that Sandusky showered him with gifts and the victim accompanied Sandusky to the 1998 Outback Bowl in Tampa and the 1999 Alamo Bowl in San Antonio.
Sometime here, Victim 4 is in shower, Matthew Sandusky leaves him alone with Jerry. This would make Matthew 18 or 19?
During testimony last week, an accuser known as Victim 4 said Matt Sandusky was living at the Sandusky home at the time he stayed there overnight.

When asked by prosecutors whether Jerry Sandusky ever engaged him in a soap battle in the showers, he recounted the time when he and Matt Sandusky had been playing racket ball. After they were done, he said, they went back to a locker room. Matt got undressed and got into the shower and then Victim 4 and Sandusky followed him in there, he testified.

"Me and Jerry came in. He started pumping his hand full of soap," he said.

At that point, Matt shut off his shower and left and went to another locker room to shower, the witness said.

Asked by prosecutors about Matt's facial expression when the soap battles started, he replied: "Nervous."
Dec. 28, 1999: Sandusky takes Victim 4 to the Alamo Bowl
His final game coaching at Penn State was a notable game for Sandusky. Penn State faced Texas A&M in the 1999 Alamo Bowl in San Antonio, Texas. The Nittany Lions' defense shut out Texas A&M, 24–0, the only bowl game shutout victory for Penn State under Paterno. Sandusky was recognized in ways usually reserved for a head coach. He was doused with a water bucket and carried to the center of the field on the shoulders of his players.[10]
1999 Sandusky is again named Assistant Coach of the Year.
He retires in 1999 at age 55. Paterno was then 72.

As were we with the Casey Anthony trial. Turns out it wasn't just one juror we had to worry about but the entire lot of them.

You just never know what a jury is going to do. It's helpful that this jury hasn't been completely sequestered since day one and this trial hasn't been as long.

I really can't compare every trial to the CA trial. That jury was ***ked from the get go.
Because of all the false convictions in the 80's I think jury's are more cautious about believing accusers willy nilly. That is my fear here. Also juror #7. I think he should have been excused. jmo

I just keep shaking my head and thinking "those poor little boys" and shaking it again.

Maybe they, the jurors, just want to absorb or point out to other jurors, the details of what McQ testified to and follow that up with what Dranov said about how McQ was so upset - seems to be this might be validation rather than dismissive.

That's a good point. I thought Dranov pretty much backed up McQ's testimony but SportsByBrooks kinda freaks me out because he said Dranov did the opposite and instead downplayed McQ and this is all good for Sandusky, so I'm worried.... :/

Also, why are people worried about juror 7? I didn't pay much attention to comments about the jurors, unless they were said while I was watching IS.

I saw a tweet that he was smiling at JS. Plus he is a student at PS? Someone tell me if I am wrong.

Sometimes a juror just loves to be the sticky wicket?

Helpful LA Times article...

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-sandusky-jurors-20120621,0,1215453.story

"Juror 7: A Penn State rising senior, who showed up to jury selection wearing a Penn State archery T-shirt. He works for the athletic department part-time, in the multi-sports facility. In high school, Juror 7 played for Steve Turchetta, the now-assistant principal who hired Sandusky as a volunteer assistant. Juror 7’s cousin played on the Penn State football team for six years. "Being a student, I hear everything,” he said in court. “The whole outrage. Nothing specific." He also said, “It's a lot of people's faults. Joe did a few things he shouldn't have." But he said he could set his feelings aside for the trial."

---

Juror 7 was also reported as looking at the witnesses who came back to court today for closing arguments (saw/heard this live from Jean Casarez on IS after it went to the jury, sorry no link!), and as appearing distracted during some of the closing arguments from both the defense & pros, if I recall correctly. (Looking up, stretching legs, doodling--will look for links.)

Maybe they, the jurors, just want to absorb or point out to other jurors, the details of what McQ testified to and follow that up with what Dranov said about how McQ was so upset - seems to be this might be validation rather than dismissive.

These 2 tweets made me feel better, at least they are really working at it and not wanting to go to ballgames and see movies:

Correx: The bell strikes 8 p.m. in Bellefonte as we close in on 7 hours of deliberations. #Sandusky jurors said to have worked thru dinner

by cvmikesisak via twitter 8:06 PM

Read more: http://livewire.wtae.com/Event/Jerry_Sandusky_Trial_2#ixzz1yTzym7tZ

At 8:30 p.m., jurors walk in to the courtroom, looking serious and tired. There is not a verdict yet.

by WGAL 8:40 PM

Read more: http://livewire.wgal.com/Event/WGALs_Jerry_Sandusky_trial_coverage#ixzz1yU0SkG3h

Helpful LA Times article...

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-sandusky-jurors-20120621,0,1215453.story

"Juror 7: A Penn State rising senior, who showed up to jury selection wearing a Penn State archery T-shirt. He works for the athletic department part-time, in the multi-sports facility. In high school, Juror 7 played for Steve Turchetta, the now-assistant principal who hired Sandusky as a volunteer assistant. Juror 7’s cousin played on the Penn State football team for six years. "Being a student, I hear everything,” he said in court. “The whole outrage. Nothing specific." He also said, “It's a lot of people's faults. Joe did a few things he shouldn't have." But he said he could set his feelings aside for the trial."

---

Juror 7 was also reported as looking at the witnesses who came back to court today for closing arguments (saw/heard this live from Jean Casarez on IS after it went to the jury, sorry no link!), and as appearing distracted during some of the closing arguments from both the defense & pros, if I recall correctly. (Looking up, stretching legs, doodling--will look for links.)

I recall that #7 was fidgeting and restless during Amendola's passionate closing argument. And, he was chewing a hangnail...

I got the impression he was getting anxious about the task ahead. jmo

That's a good point. I thought Dranov pretty much backed up McQ's testimony but SportsByBrooks kinda freaks me out because he said Dranov did the opposite and instead downplayed McQ and this is all good for Sandusky, so I'm worried.... :/

Also, why are people worried about juror 7? I didn't pay much attention to comments about the jurors, unless they were said while I was watching IS.

IIRC Dranov testified that McQ was more shaken and upset than he had ever seen him. Dranov said McQ's voice was trembling, his hands were trembling, he was visibly shaking. Dranov said when asked McQ what happened he would continue to get visibly upset.

It's late... the jurors have visions of this-- :eek:fftobed: but are far more likely to be facing a bit of this-- :countsheep:

#Sandusky buses pick up jurors to take them to their hotel. Deliberations resume @ 9am. Live report after hoops WTAE p.twimg.com
by astockey via twitter 6:39 PM

Read more: http://livewire.wtae.com/Event/Jerry_Sandusky_Trial_2#ixzz1yU1cCceN

Attachments

• Av9Su8OCAAAjf4w.jpg
    Av9Su8OCAAAjf4w.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 9
Prosecutor Joseph McGettigan walking out of Dairy Queen with a big drink of some sort, no word on whether it's soda or a shake. #sandusky
by cvmikesisak via twitter 6:35 PM

Read more: http://livewire.wtae.com/Event/Jerry_Sandusky_Trial_2#ixzz1yU0fkHfX
:D

He deserves whatever he wants, lol! don't know if it's been posted before but happened to find a good background article about McGettigan today by Ganim:

Jerry Sandusky trial: Prosecutor is used to the spotlight

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/06/jerry_sandusky_prosecutor_is_u.html

WHO IS HE: McGettigan, 64, is probably most well-known for his prosecution 15 years ago of the multimillionaire John E. du Pont, accused of killing an Olympic wrestler at his home. The wealthy heir pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity and spent an estimated $14 million on a defense. McGettigan, who was a first assistant prosecutor in Delaware county, got a third-degree murder conviction.

THE TV STAR: McGettigan has a pretty good excuse for those moviestar sunglasses he’s always wearing. He is, well, a star. OK, maybe not a star. But the prosecutor hasn’t always channeled his talent into a courtroom. Already a lawyer, he spent time living in Hollywood as a legal consultant, writing for the one-season television series “Philly,” about a defense attorney in a small Philadelphia law firm. He had a small role as a detective in one episode before it was canceled.

More at link....

I recall that #7 was fidgeting and restless during Amendola's passionate closing argument. And, he was chewing a hangnail...

I got the impression he was getting anxious about the task ahead. jmo

I agree. I find it somewhat comforting that he says multiple people were in the wrong here. He says even Paterno made a mistake. My cousin just finished his first year at Penn State and it seems to me that even students know Sandusky is guilty. The outrage was more about Paterno being fired.

It does bother me that so many of the jurors have a connection with Penn State, but let's hope school pride gets put to the side here!

IIRC Dranov testified that McQ was more shaken and upset than he had ever seen him. Dranov said McQ's voice was trembling, his hands were trembling, he was visibly shaking. Dranov said when asked McQ what happened he would continue to get visibly upset.

See, that's what I thought but SportsbyBrook is just flipping out and he is hugely disgusted with Dranov but I thought he made it clear that mcQ reported something sexual had occured and he was deeply upset. I'm not sure where he was contridicted.

I watched Rock Center. This latest victim is very convincing. The reporter said that there is a second group of young men that came forward after the current trial indictments. If he is acquitted they will go after him with the next group of victims. My guess is that Matt will be included in that group, should it become necessary.

RT @RockCenterNBC: #Sandusky accuser Travis Weaver tells @tvkatesnow "I'll be okay when he's in prison." #RockCenter
by audsnyder4 via twitter 10:22 PM

RT @kevcirilli: BREAKING: Prosecutors holding onto more alleged #Sandusky victims in case he is found not guilty. #rockcenter
by audsnyder4 via twitter 10:21 PM

Read more: http://livewire.wtae.com/Event/Jerry_Sandusky_Trial_2#ixzz1yU7zItPA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members