Penn State Sandusky Trial #11 (Verdict - GUILTY!)

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

How long will the jury deliberate?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
#Sandusky jury told by judge hearsay not enough for conviction. need other evidence to rule crime has been committed.
by astockey via twitter 12:34 PM

Read more: http://livewire.wtae.com/Event/Jerry_Sandusky_Trial_2#ixzz1yYJkIxbI

eta

#sandusky had ?? about the alleged victim 8 charges (the one the janitor saw)...and how to consider hearsay evidence. Back to deliberate
by 8CumbCoReport via twitter 12:36 PM

Read more: http://livewire.wtae.com/Event/Jerry_Sandusky_Trial_2#ixzz1yYK9NCZ7

sorry, panic mode...what does this mean?

#sandusky had ?? about the alleged victim 8 charges (the one the janitor saw)...and how to consider hearsay evidence. Back to deliberate

by 8CumbCoReport via twitter3:36 PM

The #sandusky jury is appearing in court to discuss a "supplemental charge". Will let you know what that means

by 8CumbCoReport via twitter3:21 PM

Read more: http://livewire.wgal.com/Event/WGALs_Jerry_Sandusky_trial_coverage#ixzz1yYKirmgQ

Enjoy. You can always run inside because you have to check on "things". Often (wink wink) LOL

:floorlaugh: True.....I am sure I will find a way to keep up with it somehow.

I just wish they would come in this afternoon with the verdict though. I get so tense waiting for a verdict to be rendered.

I am praying so hard that all of these victims will receive the justice they deserve.

imo

what does this mean? laymans terms please :-)

The way I understand it is the janitor relaying the information about Victim 8 in the showers is hearsay, but when taken within the context of Sandusky's overall victimology (via the other victims) it becomes evidence that a crime was being committed.

jmo

OT, but wow, Mike Galanos looks good. He has lost some weight and changed his hair. Good looking guy. jmo

:rocker: I totally agree ! I think Mike is the BEST one on that channel ! :woohoo:

:cheers:

abc27 Sandusky Trial‏@abc27Sandusky

#Sandusky jury requests to rehear portion of jury instructions related to Victim 8.

Collapse Reply
Retweet

Favorite

I hope by the fact that today the jury has concentrated on the victims who are unknown, they have already deliberated the charges where the victims are known. That could mean we get a verdict today. What do you think?

Alleged victim 8 is the individual that was seen in a shower with Sandusky by a janitor. The testimony regarding this incident was hearsay evidence related by a man named Petrosky, another janitor who related what he said the other janitor (Calhoun) told him he saw. Calhoun could not take the stand because he has dementia.

The jury has been instructed that the statement by Calhoun is not sufficient along to sustain a conviction. Jurors must be satisfied that there is other evidence besides Calhoun's hearsay statement. There must be other evidence that a crime has been committed.

by WGAL 3:44 PM

There is a re-reading of the charge – it relates to counts 36 to 40 – alleged victim 8.

by WGAL 3:41 PM

The attorneys are in the courtroom – Sandusky is not.

The jury came in around 3:25 p.m. They are serious as usual...they don't look particularly tired. They seem engaged.

by WGAL 3:40 PM

Read more: http://livewire.wgal.com/Event/WGALs_Jerry_Sandusky_trial_coverage#ixzz1yYMHKs9m

@PatriotNews: Here's my story on the #Sandusky alleged Victim 8 testimony: www.pennlive.com”
by sganim via twitter 12:44 PM

#Sandusky jury asked about case of janitors, and 'excited utterance' -- a time when hearsay can be used in court
by sganim via twitter 12:41 PM

#Sandusky jury inquiry into charges relating to shower incident involving victim #8 witnessed by janitor.
by astockey via twitter 12:35 PM

Read more: http://livewire.wtae.com/Event/Jerry_Sandusky_Trial_2#ixzz1yYMGhDPb

There is other evidence in that case....Petrosky saw JS and the child's legs together in the shower and saw them walk out hand in hand. He also saw JS circling the parking lot 2or 3 times that night.

I think I remember reading they were NOT asked this question

Interesting. I was selected for voir dire in a child sexual abuse case and this was one of the first questions they asked us. The judge had everyone answer separately in chambers. Thank god the perp pleaded guilty before it got any further - I think everyone dreaded hearing that case. I know I did.

Jurors are also told that circumstantial evidence can support a verdict of guilty. This example is given -- You see deer tracks in the snow, but didn't see a deer. The tracks are circumstantial evidence that there was a deer there. It's just as valid.

The jurors ask the judge to go over this again.

After going over the counts 36 to 40 and the fact that hearsay evidence alone is not sufficient, the jury leaves. Defense attorney Joe Amendola takes a deep breath.

Recess is called.
by WGAL 12:46 PM

Alleged victim 8 is the individual that was seen in a shower with Sandusky by a janitor. The testimony regarding this incident was hearsay evidence related by a man named Petrosky, another janitor who related what he said the other janitor (Calhoun) told him he saw. Calhoun could not take the stand because he has dementia.

The jury has been instructed that the statement by Calhoun is not sufficient along to sustain a conviction. Jurors must be satisfied that there is other evidence besides Calhoun's hearsay statement. There must be other evidence that a crime has been committed.
by WGAL 12:44 PM

There is a re-reading of the charge – it relates to counts 36 to 40 – alleged victim 8.
by WGAL 12:41 PM

Read more: http://livewire.wgal.com/Event/WGALs_Jerry_Sandusky_trial_coverage#ixzz1yYNmieR2

OK-I thought I read different-hmm-must have been thinking of other trial!!Sorry everyone

Syra - this usually happens when the large group of potential jurors comes to the court house to report for jury duty. Then the Court goes through the forms and begins to excuse potential jurors for medical issues, work, child care issues or cause etc. Cause could be you were a victim of molestation and could not be impartial or it would cause more personal trauma. Also used in murder cases etc and other cases.

Interesting. I was selected for voir dire in a child sexual abuse case and this was one of the first questions they asked us. The judge had everyone answer separately in chambers. Thank god the perp pleaded guilty before it got any further - I think everyone dreaded hearing that case. I know I did.

I made a mistake-Must have been thinking of other case-sorry

by WGAL 3:44 PM

by WGAL 3:41 PM

The attorneys are in the courtroom – Sandusky is not.

The jury came in around 3:25 p.m. They are serious as usual...they don't look particularly tired. They seem engaged.

by WGAL 3:40 PM

Read more: http://livewire.wgal.com/Event/WGALs_Jerry_Sandusky_trial_coverage#ixzz1yYMHKs9m

It sounds like they are going through deliberations count by count, victim by victim. Organized, and that may be a good sign as far as a verdict today goes. Or I could be waaay off and am doing the whole wishful thinking thing ;)

I hope by the fact that today the jury has concentrated on the victims who are unknown, they have already deliberated the charges where the victims are known. That could mean we get a verdict today. What do you think?

I think they are very close. In fact, I think they probably already have verdicts on most of the charges.

it is not unusual at all for jurors to get confused about jury charges (instructions). They often ask for clarification. Although they usually don't get many answers.

Jurors are also told that circumstantial evidence can support a verdict of guilty. This example is given -- You see deer tracks in the snow, but didn't see a deer. The tracks are circumstantial evidence that there was a deer there. It's just as valid.

The jurors ask the judge to go over this again.

After going over the counts 36 to 40 and the fact that hearsay evidence alone is not sufficient, the jury leaves. Defense attorney Joe Amendola takes a deep breath.

Recess is called.
by WGAL 12:46 PM

by WGAL 12:44 PM

by WGAL 12:41 PM

Read more: http://livewire.wgal.com/Event/WGALs_Jerry_Sandusky_trial_coverage#ixzz1yYNmieR2

I hope the deep breath was actually a disappointed sigh from Joe A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glitterbag