Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry...not seeing it there??!!?? :waitasec:

AARRGHHHHHHHHHHHH
It's in that thread...how I got to that post I don't know.
suzihawks to panthera.
sorry...making dinner and have to make sure food is on time
will look again!

That's what she said, FLNY. She said they had a similar law.

That's an interesting question. I'm going to have to do some research on the Son of Sam law. But off the top of my head, I'm guessing that it pertains to convicted criminals and not suspects? Of course, the way it stands now is in the cleverly worded 'licensing fees' and those 'fees' are usually paid to a third party for the material licensed and not to the criminal directly.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge can jump in.

It's just morally wrong and reprehensible for a murderer to receive money for an interview. That goes for their family, friends and anyone else that crawls out of the woodwork for monetary gain. It's should be illegal for news agencies to pay these 'fees' to anyone. If they want to talk for free or for their fifteen minutes of fame, fine - but no money. IMO

Yeah, and the joke part is, the interview is free, so as not to entice them to embellish their story. What they are paying for are pictures and videos.

Example: Every interview the Anthony's give has a pic of Caylee, even if that picture or video has been shown a thousand times.

IMO

I read the indictment and am trying to figure out if it means the US government can seize money from Joran now ~ such as anything he could receive from the media? Or does a trial and conviction have to occur first? :waitasec:

Hi Panthera! :seeya: Good question. I can't tell from the indictment, but I hope they can sieze any money he receives now for restitution of the $25,100. Of course, the money is secondary to the time he'll serve for the crime of extortion.

That's what she said, FLNY. She said they had a similar law.

That's an interesting question. I'm going to have to do some research on the Son of Sam law. But off the top of my head, I'm guessing that it pertains to convicted criminals and not suspects? Of course, the way it stands now is in the cleverly worded 'licensing fees' and those 'fees' are usually paid to a third party for the material licensed and not to the criminal directly.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge can jump in.

It's just morally wrong and reprehensible for a murderer to receive money for an interview. That goes for their family, friends and anyone else that crawls out of the woodwork for monetary gain. It's should be illegal for news agencies to pay these 'fees' to anyone. If they want to talk for free or for their fifteen minutes of fame, fine - but no money. IMO

Thanks, Suzihawk! I couldn't agree more. I sure hope there's some way that the Peruvian courts can prevent JVDS from getting a cent for interviews!!

If he has access to unlimited funds while in prison, he'll be king of the roost...someone's got to stop that from happening!

MOO

Hi Panthera! :seeya: Good question. I can't tell from the indictment, but I hope they can sieze any money he receives now for restitution of the $25,100. Of course, the money is secondary to the time he'll serve for the crime of extortion.
Hi!! That's so true, but what I was thinking is even without a conviction, there is a "money trail" and that in itself should be proof ~ or must a trial occur first where the defense will allege Beth gave him the money because she loves him so much??? :banghead:

I read the indictment and am trying to figure out if it means the US government can seize money from Joran now ~ such as anything he could receive from the media? Or does a trial and conviction have to occur first? :waitasec:

I would think they could tap into any monies or real property he owns/possesses. Thailand? Revenues from book? Future monies IF allowed? JMO

Thanks, Suzihawk! I couldn't agree more. I sure hope there's some way that the Peruvian courts can prevent JVDS from getting a cent for interviews!!

If he has access to unlimited funds while in prison, he'll be king of the roost...someone's got to stop that from happening!

MOO

Maybe one of his fellow inmates will take care of that. Yeah... I'm okay with that. ;)

Hi!! That's so true, but what I was thinking is even without a conviction, there is a "money trail" and that in itself should be proof ~ or must a trial occur first where the defense will allege Beth gave him the money because she loves him so much??? :banghead:

I wouldn't put that past him. But didn't John Q say they had everything videotaped and that contracts were signed between them? Seems that would be enough to prove Beth didn't just give him the money out of the kindness of her heart.

Son of Sam post:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5346800&postcount=804"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Joran Van der Sloot Confesses to Murdering Stephany Flores Ramirez #14[/ame]

Maybe one of his fellow inmates will take care of that. Yeah... I'm okay with that. ;)

I wouldn't put that past him. But didn't John Q say they had everything videotaped and that contracts were signed between them? Seems that would be enough to prove Beth didn't just give him the money out of the kindness of her heart.
I believe you're right about the videotape and contracts, but after seeing what Joran's trying to do to the Peruvian justice system, I just wouldn't put it past him to try some absurd defense for the extortion charges. It's just so infuriating! MOO

*****[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5346800&postcount=804"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Joran Van der Sloot Confesses to Murdering Stephany Flores Ramirez #14[/ame]

this is the psot about the son of Sam law.
I'm a donk.

Jean C. on Joy Behar Show just now.

Joy: This kid Vandersloot says he wants a million dollars for an interview. We have a law in this country, the Son of Sam law, where you cannot profit from your crime. Is there such a thing there? (Peru)

Jean: You better believe there is! First thing when I heard about this interview, he wanted money, etc... , I went to an attorney and, you better believe it. Here in Peru you can not profit off someone that has been convicted of a crime. Now, he's not been convicted yet. So, Joy, if he gets the money now, the attorney for the family - believe me, they're watching it and they're going to want to see where those funds go because they're not going to allow that to happen.

Jean C. on Joy Behar Show just now.

Joy: This kid Vandersloot says he wants a million dollars for an interview. We have a law in this country, the Son of Sam law, where you cannot profit from your crime. Is there such a thing there? (Peru)

Jean: You better believe there is! First thing when I heard about this interview, he wanted money, etc... , I went to an attorney and, you better believe it. Here in Peru you can not profit off someone that has been convicted of a crime. Now, he's not been convicted yet. So, Joy, if he gets the money now, the attorney for the family - believe me, they're watching it and they're going to want to see where those funds go because they're not going to allow that to happen.

Jean C. must have heard us talking about her and Son of Sam!! You know what they say about great minds!! :dance:

Jean C. must have heard us talking about her and Son of Sam!! You know what they say about great minds!! :dance:
Good timing on Jean's part to answer out questions! :clap:

Great post everyone.

What keeps circling my thoughts are VDS and his legal team are constructing a slush fund.

Step 1. How will the attorneys be paid?

In an exclusive phone interview, Maximo Alters told a Nancy Grace producer he is back on the case. Altez added that he and other lawyers will continue to represent van der Sloot, the 22-year-old from Aruba held on murder charges in a prison outside Lima, Peru.

Asked if he had considered quitting the case because of personal threats, Altez declined to answer.

I don't buy attorney threats, I think the attorney was putting the squeeze on for how he would be funded.

The evidence seems so overwhelming that the defense looks like their working for Joran and maybe so by creating a slush fund. Now Joran comes out asking a million dollars. Pffffft!

I think what we're seeing is a lawyer orchestrated, client approved sham on the public. It's almost like what we're seeing is another extortion plot with the assistance of attorneys.

I don't think anything can stop the steam roller of justice from running over Joran and if he ever somehow gets released from Peru, he'll do another 50 years in the U.S. Quite frankly, I don't really have a desire to follow his prison exploits. I'm not going to get caught up in Jorans drama. I will follow his case through convictions.

I feel bad for the family of Beth and hope that one day their crisis is resolved.

My gut tells me he'll never make it out of Peru. I think someone will get him for the new pair of tennis shoes he might buy with his slush fund one day.

Businessman Ricardo Flores asked if the Dutchman impartiality Joran van der Sloot

The employer Ricardo Flores called for fairness and transparency in judging the Dutchman Joran van der Sloot, who is accused of murdering Stephany Flores, a process which is being held at the Miguel Castro Castro prison.

One month of the death of his daughter, Ricardo Flores asked to apply the full weight of the law to punish the death of his daughter, and said that although it has begun to feel their absence, is confident that his spirit is with him and his family.

More...

http://translate.google.com/transla...idad-en-caso-del-holandes-Joran-van-der-Sloot

Remember Paul was out of work, okay he had a position with the ministry after some time, but Jorans lawer was right out of Pauls law firm. Antonio Carlo.
Maximus is working out of Miami, correct? I wonder if he is affiliated with anyone in Aruba.
Don't answer that one. Because I bet there is a connection- not to Pauls old firm but to someone connected.
I don't want to follow the drama either, bring on the judges.

OT sorta... Locked Up Abroad on NatGeo now. Billy Hayes from the real 'Midnight Express'.

Coming episodes include:

* “Saddam’s Iraq” (July 7): The story of Tom Lynch, an American oil field contractor working in Kuwait who was captured by Saddam Hussein’s secret police force — infamous for torture and brutality.
* “Tokyo” (July 14): The story of Jackie Nichols, who becomes an inmate in one of the world’s strictest prisons for smuggling hashish. She comes out completely changed.
* “Bangkok” (July 21): The story of Tim Schrader, an Australian English teacher imprisoned for smuggling heroin. His life is changed when he discovers — in prison — that he is HIV positive.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/locked-up-abroad/all/Overview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member