Peru - Stephany Flores, 21, murdered in Lima hotel room, 30 May 2010 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What good is a bullet proof vest when your head is exposed? Well, nobody shot him, so I guess thats good.

Joran was just paraded him in front of reporters. several times according to whatever i am listening too, i think cnn

sorry Foxnews

Hi, Beyond Belief, this "perp walk" has happened before in Peru, most famously, I believe after the Peruvian forces captured Guzman, the leader of Shining Path. As I remember, he too appeared before a long white screen.

http://www.rnw.nl/english/bulletin/stephany-flores-family-angry-netherlands

The family of Peruvian murder victim Stephany Flores is angry at the Netherlands because they have not yet been contacted by the Dutch embassy.

“Up to now, the Dutch embassy has only sent a bunch of flowers, that's all,” Ricardo Flores Vasqes, the Stephany Flores’ brother, told Radio Netherlands Worldwide.

Peru has quite a history. I am definitely going to spend some time reading up on it later today.

BeyondB- I guess the swiftness of the capture and with the immediate conviction that strikes the human rights in us. We have for 5 long years watched the wheels of justice literally crumple in Aruba and seen the Holloway's suffer immeasurable pain, but all signs point to JVDS guilt. He was the last known person to be seen with Stephany. There are fingerprints everywhere. The murder weapon was found. The parade in front of the Reporters/Youtube-surely says we have caught this Bast....and now he will pay. The Peruvian government has been swift and resolute. Because we are Americans and we are used to the US government going through specific channels, (Scott Peterson was treated with more respect from our officials). It doesn't stop us from wondering about the human rights of any human being. I am with you there! However, I just read that JVDS will spend the next 3 days in a dungeon and then with be brought before the judges. BH in an article is stating translated from Spanish that she wants payment. (civil court, sentence for NH....).

Originally Posted by Beyond Belief [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5252450#post5252450"]
viewpost.gif
[/ame]
Hubby just yelled at me to not feel sorry for this guy. I don't, I am just so human rights driven I want everything done in perfect order. I wonder who taught me that,
ugh........:banghead:

http://www.rnw.nl/english/bulletin/stephany-flores-family-angry-netherlands

The family of Peruvian murder victim Stephany Flores is angry at the Netherlands because they have not yet been contacted by the Dutch embassy.

“Up to now, the Dutch embassy has only sent a bunch of flowers, that's all,” Ricardo Flores Vasqes, the Stephany Flores’ brother, told Radio Netherlands Worldwide.

With all due respect to the Flores family, I've never heard of embassy officials of a felon, much less an accused felon, contacting the parents of a victim. To be honest, I was surprised by the flowers.

I'm Canadian and have been raised and educated to be justice and human rights driven.

However, I'm not sure the majority of Canadians and Americans understand how very fortunate we are in North America when it comes to justice services, such as the right to be represented by a lawyer, being innocent until proven guilty, and to be treated with a degree of fairness in the penal system.

I am constantly frustrated, exasperated and in complete disbelief when I see the younger generation with their sense of entitlement, go to other countries, commit crimes, and expect to be judged by Canadian or American standards. Here's Joran, clearly expecting to be treated like the semi-royal he was in Aruba....ask the kids in Thailand, Australia, and South America who are in jail for drug smuggling how that's working for them.

When do people get it? You are only privileged when you are in your home country - learn to respect the system of the country you are in. You may not like it, but that's what you will be judged by.

OT Rant over!:furious::banghead:

Hubby just yelled at me to not feel sorry for this guy. I don't, I am just so human rights driven I want everything done in perfect order. I wonder who taught me that, ugh........:banghead:

I thought there was something wrong with me. After watching the clip of JVS arriving in Lima, I immediately started to feel bad for him. There is no one that despises this spoiled, arrogant guy more than myself. I had to slap myself up side the head to bring me back to reality. He will be wishing that he was in an American prison after this! Wow!

Well said, logicalgirl!

I'm going to have to do a little research but I'd be willing to bet the crime rate is lower in Peru than here - at least as for as non-foreigners go.

The news reports are so confusing :waitasec:

A tennis racket was found in the room "that could have been the murder weapon but that's so far not been proven," said Dr. Cesar Tejada, deputy Lima medical examiner.

http://www.kfwb.com/pages/7399261.php?contentType=4&contentId=6230974

Investigators also found a baseball bat in the room, two law enforcement sources -- who said it was the murder weapon -- told HLN's "Nancy Grace."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/06/04/peru.murder.case/index.html?section=cnn_latest

I thought there was something wrong with me. After watching the clip of JVS arriving in Lima, I immediately started to feel bad for him. There is no one that despises this spoiled, arrogant guy more than myself. I had to slap myself up side the head to bring me back to reality. He will be wishing that he was in an American prison after this! Wow!

I felt the same way that you and Beyondbelief felt; I think it's a sense of pathos. It was like watching KC trip in her leg irons and being pulled like an animal - I thought 'how pathetic'. Such young people and they're chained and charged with the worst crimes known to man.

What does Fuhrman say re the TOD?the sound is so bad :(

He *may* have had as much as $45,000. Here's what was said on Greta last night re: the extortion sting:

Bo Dietl: ... "he wanted a quarter million dollars. The agreement was give him $20,000 up front, $10,000 CASH (which was given to him and this was all videotaped with all his statements), $15,000 was wire transfer. Why the wire transfer? This is where we have him on wire transfer of money on extortion." ...

It looks to me like he got at least $25,000 ($15,000 transfer and $10,000 cash). Maybe $45,000 - not sure about the $20,000 up front.

I taped this last night and typed it word for word from the DVR. Not sure what difference this makes in the general scheme of things but it might mean he had way more than originally thought.

(Does anyone know where to get the transcripts for the show?)

suzi - iirc, Greta only puts up the odd transcripts sporadically unlike regular ones like CNN.
Here's the video of her show last nite. Bo is about 3 mins into it.

He did say joran got $25k up front but I believe that's the $10k cash and $15k wire transfer.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4227973/the-cases-against-joran-van-der-sloot

Well said, logicalgirl!

I'm going to have to do a little research but I'd be willing to bet the crime rate is lower in Peru than here - at least as for as non-foreigners go.

Hi, SuziHawk, in homicide, rape, and other major crimes, Peru ranks lower than the United States, but still very high among nations.

I know there is a lot of confusion about the tennis racket and the baseball bat, but we know from listening to NG on ICA's case, that she often doesn't have her details exactly real.

And I don't find it at all unusual that a young man who is traveling from city to city and country to country to attend gambling tournaments, and plans to be in each place for a couple of weeks, would have a tennis racket with him, or a baseball bat. JVDS would want to meet young people who have money, that he could hook up with, and since he's a tennis player, on the tennis court is where he would meet them. It's not like us who may travel as a tourist to Peru to see the world famous sights from a high end hotel, with our North American luggage. He's a scammer, he needed to find the upper class and hang out with them. Kids with money in third world countries - have big money. The rich are very rich.

I felt the same way that you and Beyondbelief felt; I think it's a sense of pathos. It was like watching KC trip in her leg irons and being pulled like an animal - I thought 'how pathetic'. Such young people and they're chained and charged with the worst crimes known to man.

I don't think early twenties is young for violent offenders. Pretty much right in the usual age range, and definitely old enough to be fully responsible for their actions.
The images wouldn't be less pathetic if the perps were older people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GibsonGirl