Poll: How did JA do in closing arguments?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

How well did JA do?

Votes: 5 1.0%

Votes: 5 1.0%

Votes: 4 0.8%

Votes: 6 1.1%

Votes: 4 0.8%

Votes: 8 1.5%

Votes: 11 2.1%

Votes: 36 6.8%

Votes: 32 6.1%

Votes: 66 12.5%
  • Home Run, knocked it out of the park

Votes: 349 66.3%

• Total voters
I think JA did a great job. I liked how he explained that Casey is intelligent, and that her lies are deliberate and manipulative, and not at all the result of a confused, abused young woman drifting in and out of fantasy because she's been taught to lie, or because she's grieving. Very important to have emphasized.

I hope LDB somehow reminds the jurors of Casey's "tough as nails" personality when dealing with her parents, as evident in the videotaped visits. There we see who was boss in that family, and that Casey is not, and was not, a shrinking violet who's afraid of her parents, in any way, shape, or form.

I watched it twice, and I'm still not impressed. Constant water swigging bothered me (like he was too nervous). I didn't see the passion that I usually see in JA when he is crossing witnesses (or on direct). It almost reminded me of the Jason Young trial (which has now resulted in a hung jury).

I may have a different opinion, and I respectfully ask that you don't bash me for that. I have nothing against JA, as a matter of fact, I think he's been outstanding throughout this trial.

IMHO I am disappointed in the closing the state has provided thus far.

MOO

Mel

JA's address to the jury was gripping, and, at many points, memorable. I found the following points particularly striking:

() The laundry bag was Caylee's "coffin."

() With tragic irony, the same duct tape was used both to kill Caylee and to facilitate her search efforts.

() It is easy to enjoy a child while playing with them. Parenting is an entirely different matter, requiring sacrifice for the child.

() GA would have given his beloved Caylee at least as dignified a burial as he gave his pets.

() Caylee was reaching the age where she would begin to give honest reports of ICA's antics.

Caylee was a priceless gift to the world who obviously drew the short straw on mothers. JA articulated this in a succiinct, compelling fashion.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Keep in mind State gets to do rebuttal today. I thought JA was excellent and wasn't going for high drama but keeping the facts simple and concise. I think they did less to start to combat all the lies JB told in his closing. State has been excellent about bringing things back to sanity and I don't think today will be any different. I expect Linda to be brillant so I wouldn't worry at all.

I watched it twice, and I'm still not impressed. Constant water swigging bothered me (like he was too nervous). I didn't see the passion that I usually see in JA when he is crossing witnesses (or on direct). It almost reminded me of the Jason Young trial (which has now resulted in a hung jury).

I may have a different opinion, and I respectfully ask that you don't bash me for that. I have nothing against JA, as a matter of fact, I think he's been outstanding throughout this trial.

IMHO I am disappointed in the closing the state has provided thus far.

MOO

Mel
Although I think JA did a great job, now that you mention it, the water swigging bothered me too. But I thought maybe it was due to his cough (that many here had pointed out during the trial), and therefore resigned myself that the swigging was at least better than a hacking cough.

If I could change anything about his delivery, I would have him talk a bit slower, and pause for emphasis from time to time.

Although I think JA did a great job, now that you mention it, the water swigging bothered me too. But I thought maybe it was due to his cough (that many here had pointed out during the trial), and therefore resigned myself that the swigging was at least better than a hacking cough.

If I could change anything about his delivery, I would have him talk a bit slower, and pause for emphasis from time to time.

Great observations. IMO, on a further technical note, perhaps also JA would have benefited from an assistant to handle all his manipulating / opening of the bags of evidence. His grappling with the difficult-to-open bags while speaking detracted a bit from his rhythm and sound-quality.

Overall, I give JA about a 9 on a 10 point scale, keeping in mind the pressure he was under from the high stakes involved. I hope LDB sleeps well tonight. :innocent:

I am just watching JA's closing...

I loved the part when JA is talking about common sense....

I think he did a good job putting the jigsaw pieces together, things that I hadn't put together watching the testimonies.

He made some mistakes with names that bothered me a little. Calling Amy Jesse, Cindy Casey, mixing up daughter and granddaughter but that was a small thing.

I love JA, but I was shocked at how short his closing was and how little of what IMO was the most damning evidence was even mentioned. To me, the chloroform was the most "provable" evidence from multiple directions- comp searches that can be tied directly to ICA, then it's found in the trunk verified scientifically by multiple labs. To me that was the ONLY thing that speaks to premeditation and it was hardly mentioned. The defense was focusing their entire case on dysfunctional family dynamics, so what about the jail tapes, "surprise surprise", "you've been a great father/grandfather", etc.? Hopefully Linda will address those huge holes in her closing.

The positive was that he did a GREAT job listing some of her motives. He didn't mention Cindy & that relationship as part of the motive, but he tied together the social aspect in a way I hadn't heard before. And that she was starting to talk - that was very powerful! I don't really get the timer55 thing... ICA has shown a thousand times that she doesn't look ahead, so I doubt she pre-planned the day she killed Caylee to coincide with 55 days pre-birthday or anything. I'm not sure why that was in there.

I don't know, I know I'm going against popular opinion here, but I'm a mother and I wanted JA to be more emotional about Caylee as a helpless human child. He sounded angry, which I appreciate, but I would have liked him to reflect grief as well. I guess on balance I just don't understand their strategy... I hope it becomes clear when LDB finishes it up. My guess is it will - LDB is amazing!!

JA made the motive clearer to me. The lie Casey told- job and Zanny- would not hold up when Caylee started to talk. Casey also told different lies to different people, I think she was controlling the image she gave of herself, how is she supposed to control a child? JA also explained that Caseys lies serve a purpose and fit the audience- they are not some delusional girls fantasy.

I also liked that he pointed out that the defense story invites us into a world where a loving grandparent finds a drowned child, does nothing to save her, throws her in a swamp, makes an accident look like a murder, all of this defies common sense. I also loved that he said there`s no evidence for defense story and you cannot speculate outside of testimony and evidence.

Then the three pieces of duct tape and what could be the reason to use them other than suffocation. I can`t think of any. If she wanted to silence her or frame a kidnapping, one piece would be enough.

I thought he did a very good job. I can't say I thought he was absolutely brilliant, his true talent lies in cross examination - he's a force to be reckoned with in that area. But, his passion for this case and Caylee is real and that always moves me.

I think today we're going to get to see the true fireworks presentation from LDB! :fireworks:

I think JB and JA acted like kids and showed no respect for the court with JA making the facial remarks and JB calling him on it. I expect more from JA. He has made so many facial expressins during this trial. I never expected JB to do right but I did JA.

Mr. Ashton's motive for his hypothesis about why Casey murdered Caylee (because Caylee was starting to talk now), was ridiculous. His smirks and nose scratching and giggles were unprofessional.Thank goodness for Linda and her professionalism to compensate for Mr. Ashton.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back