DNA Solves

Who Should Give Prosecution Closing Argument

• Linda Drane Burdick

Votes: 261 60.6%
  • Jeff Ashton

Votes: 170 39.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would say they both have to. JA has to as far as forensics.. that is a must.
LDB had to put some of the issues with motherly bond that is not there.. from a woman I think it will have a bigger impact and come across as natural behavior a mother SHOULD have..

They both need different sections to present.

I keep wondering if the term " a mothers bond never breaks" will be in there as the grief expect stated.. will they end with there never was a mother /daughter bond with ICA and Caylee .. or that ICA BROKE that bond on the day she took caylee's life.

It just struck me as one of those moments when JA ended his questioning with the grief expert.. That statement has got to be thrown in there at an important part. I am willing to bet.. It hit home with me and made me sad.. and mad..

This is a tough choice. But I have to go with LDB. I sense the jury has immense respect for her. She never allowed herself to get any of the snarky exchanges that we saw between JA & JB. She was respectful to all the witnesses and never overly aggressive or rude. She projects a certain gravitas that sets her apart from all the other attorneys. Her presentations are delivered in a steady cogent manner which will be a critical contrast to the manic style of you know who. MOO.

Both would do a great job. Leaning towards JA...but whomver it is....I want them to end with Caylee singing "You Are My Sunshine..." :(

and she died the very next day.................: (

I want to see both JA and LDB .They are both so gifted and they both deserve to have this time.

Didn't they already ask for permission to split the time? I remember clearly that baez got up and said " WAH WAH WAH they BOTH want to do the closing, thats not fair, Wah WaH"

And the judge said " So? They can split the time however they wish as can your team."

I think Linda is going to do the first 3 hour segment, then Baez goes, then there is an hour rebuttal, which Ashton will do. I CANNOT WAIT.

I think it would be great if they could both stand up, put up a huge picture of a smiling Caylee, then a huge picture of the skull in the woods, with the hair and plants growing up through it, then a huge picture of happy Casey partying in that that blue dress. Have those 3 images lined up side by side, then play the video of Caylee singing You Are my Sunshine....As soon as the video screen goes black....OPEN THE CAN! They wouldn't have to say a word.

Dang it. That's really a difficult choice. Compared to what we've seen from the defense, either would be great.
Who knows, the State may be playing rock, paper, sissors right now to make that decision.

I think LDB would be very effective. Her opening was so great. But, I'll be pleased with either. And, best of all they are certainly not waiting for me to make that choice. :waitasec:

They should start with the audio recording of the 911 call:

Dispatch: 911 what’s your emergency?

Cindy: I called a little bit ago. The deputy sheriff’s not here. i found out my granddaughter has been taken. She’s been missing for a month. her mother finally admitted she’s been missing.

Dispatch: ok. What’s the address you’re calling from?

Cindy: we’re talking about a 3 year old little girl. My daughter finally admitted that the babysitter stole her. I need to find her.

Dispatch: your daughter admitted that the baby is where?

Cindy: that the babysitter took her a month ago. That my daughter’s been looking for. I told you my daughter was missing for a month. I just found her today. But I can’t find my granddaughter. She just admitted to me that she’s been trying to find her herself. There’s something wrong. I found my daughter’s car today and it smells like there’s been a dead body in the damn car.

Dispatch: okay. What is the 3 year old’s name?

Cindy: Caylee. C-A-Y-L-E-E Anthony.

Dispatch: Caylee Anthony?

I'd have them split it. JA is excellent and has such a firm grasp on all the forensic evidence. Linda can work the timeline. Both are great.

I'd start with CA making the call and say something like this is before anyone knew what was to come. This was the frantic and desperate call of a woman in panic. The car smelled like a dead person was in it and sadly it was that of a beautiful little angel named Caylee.

ITA, Plus I don't know if they could do this but while they play dance music and show ICA living it up then stop the music abruptly and show a pic of Caylee laying in the back seat her Pontiac, THEN show the tattoo...

Too much maybe but I know that would shock the juror's into the facts of the case. I am glad it is almost over and Caylee can RIP with the respect she deserves. I agree with ending with her singing you are my sunshine and show happy loving pics of Caylee with CA and GA only none of Caylee and ICA.

There is something about LDB's tone and inflection that I find easy to follow and listen to. When she gave the opening statement, I could not pull myself away from listening to her even though I had already heard it all a thousand times. Her voice is very soothing and she speaks very clearly. Most people that would speak for such a long time period, you would have a tendency to tune them out while they drone on, so I think she has a real gift with that.

I love JA's passion. He just cannot hide it, and I love that. I think he sometimes gets carried away and if he were to tell a story in closing arguments for a couple of hours, I think his thoughts might be a little scattered and it might be hard to follow it all, so I voted for LDB.

Honestly though, either one would be effective and would do a great job because both of them have put their heart and soul into this case. I have the utmost respect for them both (and FG, YM, and everyone else involved in this case). They have a passion and love for what they do, and it's wonderful that even though Caylee had nobody on her side from her family, she had these wonderful strangers to stand for her. I am sure to the SAO, LE, and others involved, they feel like Caylee's family at this point. All I have left to say is Good Luck prosecutors! You will all be in my prayers tomorrow morning as you bring in the ribbon, tie up a nice little bow, and deliver your closing arguments to the jury.

ITA, Linda has a way with words that keeps everyone's attention. For instance in the opening statement when she repeats, "W H E R E is CAYLEE MARIE ANTHONY" or when she was speaking of the jail inmate whose child drowned and she put the emphasis on the word GRANDFATHER. "The child was found in the pool by the GRANDf a t h e r ..." and let's not forget that priceless, "MRS. ANTHONY, did you also use CHLOROFORM (sp) on your pets before you baged and bound them W I T H TAPE for buriel..."

Both. If there is one instance where raw passion is needed it would be for justice in this case. We need Jeff Ashton! We also need LDB's subtle way of getting the message across. We need them both and that's what we'll have in just a few hours!

I voted LDB but I'm also torn because Ashton is soo passionate. I think having a woman closing the case talking about another woman murdering her child is very effective. I can't explain why, I just feel that way. Did the judge ever rule that only one lawyer can give closing? I think it would be great if they could both go up there, LDB could discuss the more emotional aspects while Ashton delve into the forensices.

I was watching HLN for the first time last night and one of the talking heads was saying that the rules JP ordered for the closing statements significantly limited what can be said, however that it will more limit JB than the State, since JB really didn't present many facts and can't attack the prosecution team. Do they do objections during closing?? How will they control this? I would be so annoyed if there are objections during closing.

Also, initially the State said they needed a full day for closing, because Ashton said they have "A LOT of stuff to show", but now it's 4 hours each. Was that also a court order? I know the State can also do a rebuttal closing as well. I can't be on most of the day tomorrow, that's going to kill me! I'll have to watch most of it afterwards. aughhh

They'll both be speaking, according to the judge. JB even whined about it.

I still cannot believe they have a countdown clock on HLN.

I think they are going to split the time. I don't think it will be one or the other. My prediction is the LDB will start, JA will then pick up after an hr or so and go into the forensics and scientific evidence and probably a few other areas. Then I think LDB will give the SA rebuttal closing.

So...based on what I think will happen - I couldn't vote. :laugh:

I voted for JA but I love both of them and they contribute different attributes in their own ways. They really are an exceptional prosecution team.

I'm hoping LDB will do the argument because she is so thorough and will be easy for the jurors to follow her through all the evidence. Then after JB I hope JA will do the rebuttal because he is so passionate. But if I have to pick one, I chose LDB.

Whoever it is, I hope they use the KISS model.
(Keep It Simple, Stupid!)
For the prosecution, there is no need to go into long, drawn out explanations at this point.
Just state the facts.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toomanywomenmissinginbc
Back