Pope Benedict XVI resigned-Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio of Argentina has been elected

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm looking forward to learning more about Francis I.

I'm not catholic. In fact, I don't practice any religion. But, I do have respect for those that do practice one. I read a couple of books by John Paul II. I liked him a lot. I also read books by the Dalai Lama - I'm a reader lol.

Best wishes for him and the people he leads. I've always considered the Pope to be the most influential person in the entire world.

Not to play schoolmarm, but the Vatican has made it clear that the new pope is merely Francis. (He won't become Francis I until there is a Francis II.)

Just like WWI wasn't "I" until there was a "II", I suppose.

To be clear, I'm not being a smart *advertiser censored*. I didn't think of this until I read it elsewhere.

I can't find anything on "Bergoglio", but "di Bergoglio" I can find, and that's in the area around Turin (way, way north of Rome). In the 1920s there was a lot of union unrest in that region also, which included rail workers. Pope Francis was born in Buenos Aires in 1936.

In the 1920s, the Communists were organizing among the industrial parts of Northern Italy, so that makes sense. (They were eventually overwhelmed by Fascists originating largely in Southern italy.)

Full English text of the Urbi et Orbi blessing in English(scroll down a little bit). Quite charming:

Apostolic Blessing "Urbi et Orbi":

Brothers and sisters, good evening!

You know that it was the duty of the Conclave to give Rome a Bishop.* It seems that my brother Cardinals have gone to the ends of the earth to get one... but here we are... I thank you for your welcome.* The diocesan community of Rome now has its Bishop.* Thank you!***** And first of all, I would like to offer a prayer for our Bishop Emeritus, Benedict XVI.* Let us pray together for him, that the Lord may bless him and that Our Lady may keep him.*

Our Father...

Hail Mary...

Glory Be...

And now, we take up this journey:* Bishop and People.* This journey of the Church of Rome which presides in charity over all the Churches.* A journey of fraternity, of love, of trust among us.* Let us always pray for one another.* Let us pray for the whole world, that there may be a great spirit of fraternity.* It is my hope for you that this journey of the Church, which we start today, and in which my Cardinal Vicar, here present, will assist me, will be fruitful for the evangelization of this most beautiful city.*

And now I would like to give the blessing, but first - first I ask a favour of you: before the Bishop blesses his people, I ask you to pray to the Lord that he will bless me: the prayer of the people asking the blessing for their Bishop.* Let us make, in silence, this prayer:* your prayer over me.*

[...]

Now I will give the Blessing to you and to the whole world, to all men and women of good will.

[Blessing]

Brothers and sisters, I leave you now.* Thank you for your welcome.* Pray for me and until we meet again.* We will see each other soon.* Tomorrow I wish to go and pray to Our Lady, that she may watch over all of Rome.* Good night and sleep well!

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/francesco/elezione/index_en.htm

A day of many firsts.

I will admit I had thought the new pope would be one of 2 other Cardinals.

Praying he will be able to guide the Church.

What a day this has been !

Not to play schoolmarm, but the Vatican has made it clear that the new pope is merely Francis. (He won't become Francis I until there is a Francis II.)

Just like WWI wasn't "I" until there was a "II", I suppose.

To be clear, I'm not being a smart *advertiser censored*. I didn't think of this until I read it elsewhere.

No worries Nova I didn't take it that way.

Thanks for letting me know :)

No worries Nova I didn't take it that way.

Thanks for letting me know :)

Almost everyone still referred to him as Francis I today, from media to priests. Nova is such a schoolmarm. :crazy:

Pope Francis I's own first words to us:

Brothers and sisters good evening.

You all know that the duty of the Conclave was to give a bishop to Rome. It seems that my brother Cardinals have come almost to the ends of the earth to get him… but here we are. I thank you for the welcome that has come from the diocesan community of Rome.

First of all I would say a prayer pray for our Bishop Emeritus Benedict XVI.. Let us all pray together for him, that the Lord bless him and Our Lady protect him.

Our Father…

Hail Mary…

Glory to the Father…

And now let us begin this journey, the Bishop and people, this journey of the Church of Rome which presides in charity over all the Churches, a journey of brotherhood in love, of mutual trust. Let us always pray for one another. Let us pray for the whole world that there might be a great sense of brotherhood . My hope is that this journey of the Church that we begin today, together with help of my Cardinal Vicar, be fruitful for the evangelization of this beautiful city.

And now I would like to give the blessing, but first I want to ask you a favour. Before the bishop blesses the people I ask that you would pray to the Lord to bless me – the prayer of the people for their Bishop. Let us say this prayer – your prayer for me – in silence.

[The Protodeacon announced that all those who received the blessing, either in person or by radio, television or by the new means of communication receive the plenary indulgence in the form established by the Church. He prayed that Almighty God protect and guard the Pope so that he may lead the Church for many years to come, and that he would grant peace to the Church throughout the world.]

[Immediately afterwards Pope Francis gave his first blessing Urbi et Orbi – To the City and to the World.]

I will now give my blessing to you and to the whole world, to all men and women of good will.

Brothers and sisters, I am leaving you. Thank you for your welcome. Pray for me and I will be with you again soon.

We will see one another soon.

Pope Francis returned on Thursday to the Church-run residence where he was staying before becoming pontiff, and insisted on paying the bill, despite now effectively being in charge of the business, the Vatican said.

“He wanted to get his luggage and the bags. He had left everything there,” a Vatican spokesman told a news briefing.

“He then stopped in the office, greeted everyone and decided to pay the bill for the room ... because he was concerned about giving a good example of what priests and bishops should do.”
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...me-boarding-house-to-pay-bill/article9760508/

Pope Francis: A humble image, but complex past

BRIAN MURPHY, AP
10 hours ago

VATICAN CITY (AP) — On the streets in Buenos Aires, the stories about the cardinal who has become the first pope from the Americas often include a very ordinary backdrop: The city bus during rush hour.

Tales are traded about chatting with Archbishop Jorge Bergoglio as he squeezed in with others for the commute to work. They sometimes talked about church affairs. Other times it could be about what he planned to cook for dinner in the simple downtown apartment he chose over an opulent church estate.

Or perhaps it was a mention of his affection for the tango, which he said he loved as a youth despite having one lung removed following an infection.

On the balcony of St. Peter's Basilica just after a rain shower Wednesday, wearing unadorned white robes, the new Pope Francis appeared to strike the same tone of simplicity and pastoral humility for a church desperate to move past the tarnished era of abuse scandals and internal Vatican upheavals.

While the new pontiff is not without some political baggage, including questions over his role during a military dictatorship in Argentina in the 1970s, the selection of the 76-year-old Bergoglio reflected a series of history-making decisions by fellow cardinals who seemed determined to offer a suggestion of renewal to a church under pressures on many fronts.

"He is a real voice for the voiceless and vulnerable," said Kim Daniels, director of Catholic Voices USA, a pro-church group. "That is the message"...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-world/20130314/EU--Vatican-Pope-Profile/

Doug Saunders
Pope Francis and Argentina’s military junta: Which side was he on?

Doug Saunders

The Globe and Mail

Published Thursday, Mar. 14 2013, 10:17 AM EDT

Last updated Thursday, Mar. 14 2013, 10:22 AM EDT

Now that he has become the leader of the world’s largest Christian church – a position of both spiritual and political influence – many people are beginning to ask what role Pope Francis played when Argentina collapsed into terror and dictatorship in the 1970s.

The relationships between the Roman Catholic Church and right-wing regimes, including dictatorships in Europe and the Americas, has been a subject of controversy for decades. While more recent Popes have delivered sermons favouring democracy and human rights, Pope Francis is bound to raise questions about his role in one of the most horrific political conflicts in the modern history of the Americas.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/mar/14/pope-francis-first-day

Pope Francis, first day after election - live updates

Live• The former Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio begins work after surprise election to papacy
• First non-European pope in 1,300 years likely to face more scrutiny of his past

The first Mass by Pope Francis is being held right now, live on EWTN and other TV and radio networks. :)

While I am not Catholic, I've just got to say that I really like Francis. His humility is a breath of fresh air.

He gave a great homily, I thought. Really inspired message.

I think that it will take a few weeks before the dust settles with respect to information regarding Pope Francis. Not only was it a day of many changes/firsts for the people but as well it appears for Pope Francis.

He is be a very humble man, from all accounts. :)

Wow! If true, it's about time! It has rankled in the Archdiocese of Boston that Law got that cushy little appointment.

See ya, Bernie! :wave:

I Fought the Law (And I Won) - Pope Francis's first single.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BEllis9801
Back