Pope Benedict XVI resigned-Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio of Argentina has been elected

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yes, st Francis of Assisi is. He is often pictured with birds on his shoulders :angel:

Isn't St. Frances the patron saint of animals?

Yes, he is
I have a statue of St Francis in my front garden
In honour of St Francis of Assisi my parish church holds a Pet Blessing Mass in October where all parishioners who have pets bring them to church and have them blessed.

This is the seventh Pope of my 59-year lifetime and I realized I had never watched the presentation of a new pope live. So I remained glued to my TV for an hour or more waiting to see the new pontiff.

Just as they announced the names (old and new) but before the "Habemus papem", Time Warner cable went out in my area. It didn't come back on until after the ceremony was complete.

Makes one wonder don't you think? Could it be the work of--I don't know--Saaaaataaaaan? (To be clear, I'm talking about whoever or whatever killed my cable, not the Pope himself. He sounds like a great choice to me.)

Well, boo. I just read that the new Pope was linked to the most repressive dictatorship in Argentina, twice refused to show up when summoned to testify under Argentinian law, and when he finally did, his answers were as credible as Jodi Arias'. Sigh.

Well, boo. I just read that the new Pope was linked to the most repressive dictatorship in Argentina, twice refused to show up when summoned to testify under Argentinian law, and when he finally did, his answers were as credible as Jodi Arias'. Sigh.

I know! I just read the same thing.

Gay marriage is legal in his Argentine diocese and, true to form, he didn't just oppose it, he denounced it as a campaign by the devil.

He's also ardently opposed to birth control and should be tried by the World Court of an overpopulated planet.

La plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Does anyone know where his parents were from? If they were from Rome before they emigrated to Argentina, somebody will use it to justify the "Peter the Roman" prophecy.

I know! I just read the same thing.

Gay marriage is legal in his Argentine diocese and, true to form, he didn't just oppose it, he denounced it as a campaign by the devil.

He's also ardently opposed to birth control and should be tried by the World Court of an overpopulated planet.

La plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Does anyone know where his parents were from? If they were from Rome before they emigrated to Argentina, somebody will use it to justify the "Peter the Roman" prophecy.

:rocker: to your post.

I am not sure; though it wouldn't be that strange. Many Argentinians have Italian last names.

:rocker: to your post.

I am not sure; though it wouldn't be that strange. Many Argentinians have Italian last names.

It's been reported many places that Pope Francis was born in Buenos Aires to Italian immigrant parents. But so far I haven't found a source that says where in Italy his parents had lived.

It's been reported many places that Pope Francis was born in Buenos Aires to Italian immigrant parents. But so far I haven't found a source that says where in Italy his parents had lived.

Piamonti --- or so says Diario El Clarin.

Isn't he the Antichrist according to Nostradamus?

Seriously however - I'm not a Catholic but congratulations to him and best wishes!

He's the first Pope not born in either Africa or Eurasia.

I'm looking forward to learning more about Francis I.

I'm not catholic. In fact, I don't practice any religion. But, I do have respect for those that do practice one. I read a couple of books by John Paul II. I liked him a lot. I also read books by the Dalai Lama - I'm a reader lol.

Best wishes for him and the people he leads. I've always considered the Pope to be the most influential person in the entire world.

Over 50% of Argentinians have some degree of Italian descent.

I remember being surprised when my Mom had told me that those in her family who did not come to the US, immigrated to Argentina.

Yup. There were 3 places the people in my dad's village went - Windsor, Ontario, Canada - Everett, Massachusetts - Argentina. There were so many who went to Boston they had their own social club in Everett.

:sigh:

Well, maybe he will surprise. If he simply keeps his message on social justice, rather than sexual matters, that would be some improvement.

I admit I was surprised by Benedict in many ways. Far from the "God's Rottweiler" that we all expected, his official writings as Pope were on the topics of faith hope and love (some of his spoken remarks were definitely not as benign, but those will be forgotten while his writings will remain), and were very gentle and written with what I perceived to be a very loving spirit.

So maybe Francesco will surprise too. I hope. :please:

I can't find anything on "Bergoglio", but "di Bergoglio" I can find, and that's in the area around Turin (way, way north of Rome). In the 1920s there was a lot of union unrest in that region also, which included rail workers. Pope Francis was born in Buenos Aires in 1936.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hiyaworld
Back