Pope Benedict XVI resigned-Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio of Argentina has been elected

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I note that the Nigerian Cardinal Arinze, who was much hoped for amongst conservative Catholics back in '05 (i don't think most foresaw Ratzinger at the time) is not mentioned amongst the papabile this time around. Too old? (he is 80).

I don't think they will go with an American, for various reasons. Something interesting I read today is that Cardinal Schoenborn (Austrian) is a dark horse favorite for both conservatives and liberals, for differing reasons. :crazy:

But if Benedict himself believes his end is near, why resign? Why not just let nature take its course, as it has done for 600 years?

I know right! The last pope looked like death, there was awhile that I wondered if he even knew where he was! They'd just roll him out, he was all slumped over.

It was like a bad rendition of Weekend At Bernie's.

Thank you for the history, Gardenlady. I never meant to suggest there was some grand conspiracy at work here; but when it comes to the Vatican, EVERYTHING is political, it seems to me.

LOL, Linda. It appears we have offended God by joking about His representative on earth. The "thank you" buttons have all disappeared.

Thank you for the history, Gardenlady. I never meant to suggest there was some grand conspiracy at work here; but when it comes to the Vatican, EVERYTHING is political, it seems to me.

LOL, Linda. It appears we have offended God by joking about His representative on earth. The "thank you" buttons have all disappeared.

Didn't mean to offend....just telling it like I see it.

No worries, I didn't think you were. And far be it from me to defend the Church, lol. Just happened to be paying attention to church scuttlebutt at the time, especially having just gone through the years of the re-eruption of the sex scandals in thhe archdiocese of Boston, the resignation of Cdl Law, etc.

Also, I'm a huge fan of arcane traditions. When they were choosing the new Pope, I couldn't get enough of reading about church history, watching the smoke from St Peter's etc. :giggle:

One of the more poignant things I remember learning was that when a Pope is dying, they have to go through certain traditions to make sure he is truly passed. One of them is that someone close to the pope (not sure what person/position) must whisper in the ear of the Pope, three times, in his native language, the name or nickname that his mother called him as a child - the thinking being that if one is still alive, one will always respond to the name your mother called you when you were little. :(

^^^^I should have been clearer. History shows the Vatican to be one of the most politically motivated organizations on the planet.

But that does NOT mean Vatican officials are not also sincere in their religious beliefs. I did not mean to imply that they were.

Right. But how do they choose the name?

From what I have been taught a Pope is not obligated to choose a new name but it has become customary/tradition to do so.
IIRC, it became a custom in the 10th century and every Pope since the 16th century has done so..

From this custom to choose a new name many newly elected Popes have chosen the names of a saint or to honour a previous Pope, someone they admired

Also there has never been a Peter II, I believe, out of respect for Saint Peter

I had friends who were studying Conclave and the Popes when this Pope was elected and we spent a lot of time researching...it was quite interesting.

Technically any single Catholic male is eligible to become Pope, so I am keeping my fingers crossed! :please:

I note that the Nigerian Cardinal Arinze, who was much hoped for amongst conservative Catholics back in '05 (i don't think most foresaw Ratzinger at the time) is not mentioned amongst the papabile this time around. Too old? (he is 80).

I don't think they will go with an American, for various reasons. Something interesting I read today is that Cardinal Schoenborn (Austrian) is a dark horse favorite for both conservatives and liberals, for differing reasons. :crazy:

He retired a few years ago, so I don't think he is still able to be considered.

I agree it is very unlikely they'd choose an American.

Back when JPII was in decline, it was said by unofficial sources that Ratzinger advised him to step down, due to his deteriorating health. Towards the end, things became very difficult and there was question as to how much the pope was doing, as opposed to his advisors. As with any 'government', and perhaps moreso in the Vatican, there are factions. Because of the holy father's declining health, opposing factions within the Vatican at the time were said to have had an advantage due to the pope's inability to function during his final months (years perhaps?).

So I tink Ratzinger, having seen what went on during JPIIs end of reign, perhaps wants to avoid such a situation happening again.

No sources, just remembrances of what a sometimes church-nerd read and heard back in '05. :)

Well that's interesting and I'd never heard that before. I felt JPII hung on way too long and there really is a danger that the "advisors" take over and things aren't being run by the proper person.

Honestly, I don't know why I'm surprised, but I am:

On Thursday, the Vatican spokesman acknowledged that Benedict hit his head and bled profusely while visiting Mexico in July.

And as the Catholic world reeled from shock over the abdication, it soon became clear that Benedict's post-papacy lodgings have been under construction since at least the fall. That in turn put holes in the Holy See's early claims that Benedict kept his decision to himself until he revealed it.

Secrets, the downfall of the Church. After the trouble "secrets" have gotten them into, I at least expected a kind of transparency to the state of the Pope's health and again I'm disappointed.

I thought a few days ago it was forward-thinking of him to resign while he still has his faculties, but now I think he may not have his faculties and may not have for quite some time. Again, who runs the Catholic Church?

The whole concept I love, the beliefs are what I have known since I was a child. I find myself very put off by the lack of accountability to the parishoners as a whole. Arghhhh!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/14/vatican-secrets_n_2687474.html

Was talking with a friend about the Pope retiring and a few things I have learned here in this thread. Thank you everyone. We got distracted by the history involved, so I turn to google.

Here is a bit of history. Please feel free to add or correct if this article is incorrect b/c I would have no way of knowing.

http://ww2db.com/country/vatican_city

A not-unfunny Paul Rudnick piece from The New Yorker:

Fingers Crossed
---
I mean, when I heard Pope Benedict talk about Satan’s assault on the family, I was in awe, and I thought, that’s his ‘Black Swan.’ That’s his ‘Raging Bull.’
---
and more, at the link above

When I read about or see pics of any of the popes, all I can think of is their role in covering up the rampant child molestation within the church. I don't think the pope is God's "ordained" representative on earth, either. Don't get me started, moo, jmo, etc.!!

Technically any single Catholic male is eligible to become Pope, so I am keeping my fingers crossed! :please:

Let me get my red dress out of mothballs and ironed! Then as soon as I find my red hat and matching shoes, you've got your first vote, DK!

A number of things that are without precedent would have to happen for that to be true, though.

Present Pope abdicates. DONE.

"The Roman" indicates an Italian Pope? Or does the Roman only mean Rome because of where Vatican City is?

Peter--traditionally, the Pope does not choose this name out of respect for the first, St. Peter (Simon Peter, the Apostle)...but some don't count him as a pope.

I still feel the next pope will come from Africa or South America, with an outside chance of the Cardinal from Quebec being chosen.

It'll sure be interesting and I wonder how long it will take them to choose.

A number of things that are without precedent would have to happen for that to be true, though.

Present Pope abdicates. DONE.

"The Roman" indicates an Italian Pope? Or does the Roman only mean Rome because of where Vatican City is?

Peter--traditionally, the Pope does not choose this name out of respect for the first, St. Peter (Simon Peter, the Apostle)...but some don't count him as a pope.

I still feel the next pope will come from Africa or South America, with an outside chance of the Cardinal from Quebec being chosen.

It'll sure be interesting and I wonder how long it will take them to choose.

Come on... I was really looking forward to another End of Times Paaar-Tay!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaLegend71
Back