Pope Benedict XVI resigned-Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio of Argentina has been elected

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
We need to get an informal pool going on who the next pope will be, how long the conclave will last, what the name will be, etc... :D

I'm picking out cardinals I oppose first (wait; can Lutherans do this? aw hells yes!).

No dark horse candidacies for either Juan Luis Cipriani Thorne or Julián Herranz Casado then.

The Italians are too old. I don't want to go through this again for a while. Dolan has no chance.

Of course, John Paul I was only 65 and that didn't turn out too well. I need to brush up on my conclave knowledge....

Cardinals could meet sooner to pick new pope

Conclave could start before March 15

Author: By Livia Borghese and Laura Smith-Spark for CNN

Published On: Feb 16 2013 09:09:32 AM EST Updated On: Feb 16 2013 02:11:43 PM ES

ROME (CNN) -
The cardinals who must pick a successor to Pope Benedict XVI after he steps down on February 28 could meet to make the decision sooner than thought, a Vatican spokesman said Saturday.

The conclave, the meeting which will bring together the 117 cardinals of the Roman Catholic Church, could start before March 15 if all the cardinals are already in Rome, Father Federico Lombardi said.

Lombardi had previously said the conclave was likely to start between March 15 and 19...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...ope/-/1719418/18576826/-/xndhwkz/-/index.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...6c2-11e2-8f84-3e4b513b1a13_story.html?hpid=z1

Much of the media — and the Vatican — focused on the source of the shocking security breach. Largely lost were the revelations contained in the letters themselves — tales of rivalry and betrayal, and allegations of corruption and systemic dysfunction that infused the inner workings of the Holy See and the eight-year papacy of Benedict XVI. Last week, he announced that he will become the first pope in nearly 600 years to resign.

Cardinals seek identikit for new pope (Reuters, Tom Heneghan, Religion Editor)
---
With a conservative doctrine assured, cardinals and officials of the Vatican bureaucracy, or Curia, told Reuters the focus now revolves around other issues such as a candidate's age, nationality and the qualities he can bring to the office.

"The main issue is whether we want a longer papacy or not," said Cardinal Kurt Koch, 62, head of the Vatican department for Christian unity and relations with Jews. As for the man himself, he said, "I can imagine a Latin American or African pope."

Cardinal Theodore McCarrick, the retired archbishop of Washington, said the new pope must first of all be able to communicate the Church's message, especially to the young.

"You don't necessarily need a rock star, but you need someone who can talk to young people," said McCarrick, 82, who has passed the age ceiling of 80 and cannot vote this time.
---
much more at the link

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...6c2-11e2-8f84-3e4b513b1a13_story.html?hpid=z1

Much of the media — and the Vatican — focused on the source of the shocking security breach. Largely lost were the revelations contained in the letters themselves — tales of rivalry and betrayal, and allegations of corruption and systemic dysfunction that infused the inner workings of the Holy See and the eight-year papacy of Benedict XVI. Last week, he announced that he will become the first pope in nearly 600 years to resign.

That's a great article. I came away feeling quite a bit of compassion for Benedict. I am definitely a liberal theologically, and would and have find much to disagree with him about there, but it is clear that the longtime public perception of him as the Nazi Pope, or Gods Rottweiler, or whatever, was fairly far from the truth,despite his rogorous adherence to doctrine while at CDF. It's very apparent that his disposition as a scholar put him at a severe disadvantage with the insiders who worked against him.

Im also very sympathetic to the Butler, who felt the only way to combat the betrayal of the Popes attempt at reforms was to leak the info. He played the game their way, but lost. I think this might have been the final straw for Benedict, and he realized that he did not have the fortitude to combat the internal corruption.

As for the conniving, backstabbing, the corruption, etc, I'm not sure why anyone is surprised. Any institution as old as the church is inevitably going to suffer from such, and has for a long time. Just a glance at history shows far, far greater sins than being an ineffectual leader, which seems to be what Benedict's ultimate flaw was.

The Italians are too old. I don't want to go through this again for a while. Dolan has no chance.

Of course, John Paul I was only 65 and that didn't turn out too well. I need to brush up on my conclave knowledge....

John Paul I was dubbed the September Pope as he only served for one month in 1978.

Papal conclave, August 1978
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_conclave,_August_1978

I wonder what the name of the new pope will be. I doubt it will be Peter as he is the first pope. As for the new pope will be, that is anyone's guess.

The more I think about it, knowing how entrenched the people staffing the Vatican are in their ways, I have a horrible feeling they may go back to an Italian.

That's a great article. I came away feeling quite a bit of compassion for Benedict. I am definitely a liberal theologically, and would and have find much to disagree with him about there, but it is clear that the longtime public perception of him as the Nazi Pope, or Gods Rottweiler, or whatever, was fairly far from the truth,despite his rogorous adherence to doctrine while at CDF. It's very apparent that his disposition as a scholar put him at a severe disadvantage with the insiders who worked against him.

Im also very sympathetic to the Butler, who felt the only way to combat the betrayal of the Popes attempt at reforms was to leak the info. He played the game their way, but lost. I think this might have been the final straw for Benedict, and he realized that he did not have the fortitude to combat the internal corruption.

As for the conniving, backstabbing, the corruption, etc, I'm not sure why anyone is surprised. Any institution as old as the church is inevitably going to suffer from such, and has for a long time. Just a glance at history shows far, far greater sins than being an ineffectual leader, which seems to be what Benedict's ultimate flaw was.

bbm,
When I found and read that I thought of you,:seeya: I said, this is a dang good article, Gardenlady will like this, she is well informed/Knowledgeable on this topic. And might I add that I enjoy your insight on this topic as well.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Latest-News-Wires/2012/1222/Pope-pardons-Vatican-butler

Pope pardons Vatican butler

He told Vatican investigators he gave the documents to Italian journalist Gianluigi Nuzzi because he thought the 85-year-old pope wasn't being informed of the "evil and corruption" in the Vatican and thought that exposing it publicly would put the church back on the right track.

Pope may change conclave rules before leaving: Vatican

2 hours ago

VATICAN CITY — Pope Benedict may change Church rules governing the conclave where cardinals from around the world will meet next month to secretly elect his successor, the Vatican said on Wednesday.

Benedict was studying the possibility of making changes to two laws established by his predecessor Pope John Paul before he abdicates on February 28, a spokesman said.

The changes may affect the timing of the start of the conclave...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-world/20130220/US-POPE-RESIGNATION-CONCLAVE/

Wow, though I agree if it's possible to have a new pope before Holy Week that would be ideal.

This does give the Italians a slight edge, however, and that's not ideal.

Cdl Sean's name is being floated in a few places.

I met him once when he was in office in the Fall River diocese. Very warm and humble. I like the idea of a Capucin as Pope, and especially one as sympathetic to issues of immigration and poverty as he has been.

But, I think being an American, he is a long shot. The church is rightfully wary of letting Americans dominate, the US already has a good number of electors/influence as it is.

The US tends to be more conservative religiously, so another reason to be wary, IMO.

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/201...alian-press/QtZpSHR2uciBljaWilnboL/story.html

bbm,
When I found and read that I thought of you,:seeya: I said, this is a dang good article, Gardenlady will like this, she is well informed/Knowledgeable on this topic. And might I add that I enjoy your insight on this topic as well.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Latest-News-Wires/2012/1222/Pope-pardons-Vatican-butler

Pope pardons Vatican butler

He told Vatican investigators he gave the documents to Italian journalist Gianluigi Nuzzi because he thought the 85-year-old pope wasn't being informed of the "evil and corruption" in the Vatican and thought that exposing it publicly would put the church back on the right track.

Aww thanks! :blowkiss:

Really I am just a sucker for stories and settings that are full of intrigue and politicking and corruption. That's the Vatican in spades :lol:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BEllis9801
Back