Post sentencing discussion and the upcoming appeal

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, does anyone know if there is a transcript of what each of Oscar Pistorius' neighbours said during the trial?

I wish there had been transcripts of the earwitnesses and copies of their statements online. If there had been some published would have saved me a lot of work doing my own so I could fully analyse the timeline because the Sky transcripts are hopeless, at best mistaken at worst downright incorrect, so not reliable for analysing. But if you find any sure there are many who would appreciate you posting the links.

Karyn Maughan @karynmaughan · 1h 1 hour ago

State leave to appeal application on #OscarPistorius case set for just over 2 weeks after his 28th birthday: 9 December @eNCAnews

Karyn Maughan @karynmaughan · 1h 1 hour ago

State leave to appeal application on #OscarPistorius case set for just over 2 weeks after his 28th birthday: 9 December @eNCAnews
I thought it was set for 18th November?

http://ewn.co.za/2014/11/05/OPINION-Rebecca-Davis-Pistorius-appeal-Clarity-eventualis

Pistorius appeal: Clarity, eventualis?

News of the appeal must have been greeted with disappointment by the Pistorius camp, particularly given the massive debt the athlete is said to be in following the legal proceedings thus far. There is a lot at stake: if the Supreme Court of Appeal were to overturn the culpable homicide verdict and instate a murder conviction, the minimum sentence Pistorius faces would be 15 years in prison.

Proceedings of the Supreme Court of Appeal are open to the public. Whether any broadcasters would consider it worthwhile to apply for permission to televise them remains to be seen. In a country where Pistorius trial fatigue seems to be a prevalent phenomenon, the overwhelming response to the appeal may well be a sense of exhaustion.

http://www.startribune.com/world/282108471.html

The National Prosecuting Authority also says it has been informed by Pistorius' defense lawyers that they will oppose the appeal.

The NPA said Monday it believes there are "reasonable prospects of a successful appeal based on a question of law."

Barry Bateman @barrybateman · 2h 2 hours ago

JUST IN: #OscarPistorius leave to appeal application to heard on 9 December at the High Court in Pretoria. BB

http://www.independent.ie/entertain...say-not-guilty-when-he-shot-her-30721508.html

How could he say 'not guilty' when he shot her?
June Steenkamp

Published 09/11/2014 | 02:30

I was steeling myself for the moment I would see Oscar for myself for the first time in person. I'd played through this scenario in my mind a hundred times over, but without an ending. How would I feel?

Oscar arrived, dressed in a dark suit, white shirt and black tie, and walked straight past, looking resolutely ahead. I was disappointed. I wanted to see him and I wanted him to see me, but he didn't acknowledge me. The whole point was that he must see that I was there. I wanted him to see that I was there representing Reeva.

And then we were under way. The first shock came when Judge Masipa addressed 'the accused' and asked, 'Mr Pistorius, how do you plead on premeditated murder?'

Not guilty.

How did he plead on the other three counts? Not Guilty. Not Guilty. Not Guilty.

It's the Daily Mail ... I know, I know but

Prison bosses may not release OP early because he has no ankles to attach his electronic tag to.

He may not get early release from jail because the electronic tagging device cannot be fitted securely to his prosthetic leg, it emerged today.

The revelation came as SA prosecutors said their request to appeal his manslaughter conviction and 5 year prison sentence would be heard on December 9.

OP had hoped he would qualify for home detention curfew with a tag after serving just ten months of his sentence.

Prison bosses have told him he can't take part in their tagging scheme because the device cannot be properly monitored if it is fixed to a prosthetic leg.

The tags cannot by law be fixed to an offender's wrists as they are too easily removed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tml?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Barry Bateman retweetete
Pan Macmillan SA @PanMacmillanSA · 7. Nov.

#WIN 1 of 2 copies of #BehindTheDoor, signed by @MandyWiener & @barrybateman! RT before 10am 13/11 to enter. Ts&Cs: http://bit.ly/1xbQvhb

Nathi Mncube ‏@mncube_nathi · 2h2 hours ago

The application for leave to appeal Oscar Pistorious judgement and sentence will be heard on 9/12/2014 at North Gauteng High court

https://twitter.com/mncube_nathi

Carl Pistorius @carlpistorius · 18 Std. Vor 18 Stunden

Hit me like a drop shot in the sola plexus. Then He caught me, refreshed me, ordered my steps. I am a Victor bcos of Him! #faithhopelove

Prison bosses may not release OP early because he has no ankles to attach his electronic tag to.

He may not get early release from jail because the electronic tagging device cannot be fitted securely to his prosthetic leg, it emerged today.

The revelation came as SA prosecutors said their request to appeal his manslaughter conviction and 5 year prison sentence would be heard on December 9.

OP had hoped he would qualify for home detention curfew with a tag after serving just ten months of his sentence.

Prison bosses have told him he can't take part in their tagging scheme because the device cannot be properly monitored if it is fixed to a prosthetic leg.

The tags cannot by law be fixed to an offender's wrists as they are too easily removed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tml?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490
Hope this is true ,but I doubt it because he would state that he is being discriminated against because of his disability . I wonder how other similarly disabled prisoners have been treated in the past ?

Good old Daily Mail. "OP has bread and butter for dinner". Now that I don't believe!!

Hope this is true ,but I doubt it because he would state that he is being discriminated against because of his disability . I wonder how other similarly disabled prisoners have been treated in the past ?

"As SA’s first remand detainee to be electronically tagged, Fakude (50) agreed - as a condition of bail – to participate in a Department of Correctional Services (DCS) electronic monitoring pilot project which had to date involved only sentenced offenders. As a result, on his release from Grootvlei Correctional Centre, an electronic tracking device was attached to the nappy-wearing, wheelchair-bound paraplegic’s right leg permitting his movements to be tracked 24/7.

Meantime, Fakude appears to have been sentenced before he was sentenced: “I’ve never killed anyone, I’m accused of an economic crime,” he said hours after he was released.

http://www.dailymaverick.co.za/arti...car-pistorius-vs.-ronnie-fakude/#.VGCgASxxnBw

This is a really sad story. I feel so sorry for this poor man. As you'll see from the article, it's mainly lifers who get electronic tags and this was the first remand prisoner.

Maybe that's why the DT wanted the application for leave to appeal to be heard in December ... in the hope that Masipa will grant him bail until the appeal is eventually heard. If so, that means he'll be home just in time for Christmas.

It is a bit confusing, however “Pistorius was previously housed in the prison’s EF section, but had to be moved after Etienne Kabila – who is awaiting trial for plotting to overthrow his half brother, Democratic Republic of Congo President Joseph Kabila – allegedly flooded the cells.

Pistorius has been moved to the B section of the prison near the hospital wing, where he has his own private cell. Among his neighbours is Czech fugitive Radovan Krejčíř, whom City Press understands has his own television in his cell that is hooked up to DStv.

Pistorius and the awaiting-trial prisoners with whom he is being kept are to be moved back to their original cells as soon as the flood damage has been repaired”.

The following article says …

“Marumo Moerane, for the DCS, said Krejcir was moved to a single cell because he was a prisoner awaiting trial who needed to be separated from those already sentenced.
http://www.timeslive.co.za/local/2014/04/04/krejcir-application-for-more-freedom-in-jail-rejected

Prisoners on remand (awaiting trial) are always separated from convicted criminals. Krejcir hasn't been sentenced yet.

Yes, I'm not quibbling over the status of his fellow prisoners, just pointing out that everyone affected by the flooding has been moved, not just him. At least that's how I read it - it seems logical.

"Pistorius and the awaiting-trial prisoners with whom he is being kept are to be moved back to their original cells as soon as the flood damage has been repaired”.

I don't agree. Are you confusing it with what someone might have to do if they were acting in self-defense? Because, if not, then you are wrong to say that 'all humans' are capable of just flying off the handle and killing someone, just like that.

I don't know, jay-jay. I don't think any of us could say for sure what we might be capable of, given the right (wrong!) situation.

"As SA’s first remand detainee to be electronically tagged, Fakude (50) agreed - as a condition of bail – to participate in a Department of Correctional Services (DCS) electronic monitoring pilot project which had to date involved only sentenced offenders. As a result, on his release from Grootvlei Correctional Centre, an electronic tracking device was attached to the nappy-wearing, wheelchair-bound paraplegic’s right leg permitting his movements to be tracked 24/7.

That's quite different though. Mr Fakude still has his own leg, so a tag would be effective in his case.

I don't know, jay-jay. I don't think any of us could say for sure what we might be capable of, given the right (wrong!) situation.

Yes we can and I certainly wouldn't .. I wouldn't ever kill another person, no matter how angry I was. Neither would about 50-60 million other people who live in the UK, who never commit murder throughout their whole lives.

I'm really astonished by what I am reading here with regard to this line of discussion, quite honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia