Post sentencing discussion

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if Carl's tweets are also messages for Oscar? I know prisoners aren't supposed to have cell phones, but they do. Even if he doesn't have his own, he might be able to view twitter on someone else's. If he has made any friends, that is.

"The Sunday Times also claimed that Pistorius, 27, received preferential treatment on his arrival in the hospital section of the prison in Pretoria last week, including meetings with the prison head, prison chaplain and a psychologist.

It reported that his cell measures about 3 metres by 3.5 metres (9ft 10in by 11ft 5in) and has a single bed, toilet and basin. Unlike other prison beds, which have sponge mattresses, those in the hospital section have spring mattresses."

Well his spring mattress is not going to give him much comfort tonight is it?!

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-conviction-sentence-south-africa-prosecutors

I'm embarrassed to admit that I was so depressed after the verdict and sentencing that I gained about 10 pounds eating my sorrow away.

Today, I happily switched back to salads!!!

Wait a minute! Will Oscar be free on bail while he awaits the appeal? Forgive for asking, but the SA system confounds me.

Wait a minute! Will Oscar be free on bail while he awaits the appeal? Forgive for asking, but the SA system confounds me.

I can't see how he could be .. he is currently serving (a pitifully small amount of) time for CH, so he has been convicted and jailed for a crime, and the appeal is for a higher charge .. it's not like he is still innocent of any crime at all and has not been convicted of anything. That would be just nuts if he was allowed out on bail after having been convicted of a crime that has a jail term attached to it. Mind you, it was nuts that he was allowed bail during the trial, but that makes more sense (in terms of him still being 'innocent until proven guilty') than it does for him to then be out on bail after having been convicted.

Yes! But if my strom (electricity) keeps giving me problems, I may have to move house to do it! :)

What a country is that, where you live???!!! Not even the power supply is working?? OMG- then you have to move, perhaps not only the house?

I can't see how he could be .. he is currently serving (a pitifully small amount of) time for CH, so he has been convicted and jailed for a crime, and the appeal is for a higher charge .. it's not like he is still innocent of any crime at all and has not been convicted of anything. That would be just nuts if he was allowed out on bail after having been convicted of a crime that has a jail term attached to it. Mind you, it was nuts that he was allowed bail during the trial, but that makes more sense (in terms of him still being 'innocent until proven guilty') than it does for him to then be out on bail after having been convicted.

As someone explained (or quoted some expert, do not recall clearly) a little earlier in the thread, in order for him to get bail, his team has to counter appeal the verdict or the sentence.

I cannot tell you how thrilled I am that the State will appeal - and that Prof. James Grant is on Nel's team. :D

No money, no assets and facing a possible life sentence. He would be a flight risk if given bail and he has nothing to keep him here.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

The NPA have to convince Masipa that a higher court could reach a different verdict

Ulrich Roux @ulrichroux · 3h 3 hours ago
To succeed with appl for leave 2 appeal,State must convince J Masipa that DIFF COURT could reach diff verdict upon re-assessing the case.

Nope..it's not up to Masipa..they are filing the appeal DIRECTLY at the Supreme Court of appeals..

:happydance:

As someone explained (or quoted some expert, do not recall clearly) a little earlier in the thread, in order for him to get bail, his team has to counter appeal the verdict or the sentence.

Yep, so it would still have to be on the basis of him being innocent (or considered so by his team) :thumb: .. and which I very much doubt they will be doing as CH is clearly the best they could've hoped for.

This is a very interesting short news story about the appeal:

http://youtu.be/Cu775ZxM5o0

One thing I had not heard before is that Nel and Roux will have to argue in front of Masipa about granting the appeal, after which she makes her decision. If yes, then it goes directly to the Supreme Court of Appeals.

If correct, that makes sense. Hope it's televised. Would LOVE to see Nel "put it to" Roux!

No money, no assets and facing a possible life sentence. He would be a flight risk if given bail and he has nothing to keep him here.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

He won't get bail, because the defence will not be appealing his conviction or sentence (at least I very much doubt they will be).

Now that an appeal by the state is definitely on I guess uncle Arnold is going to have to pay Roux the rest of the money that OP owes him, about $559K British Pounds, if he wants Roux to handle the new fight. It's really funny to me how some here believed that OP and his uncle had more money than Bill Gates and were happy to spend whatever it took, and yet when Roux succeeded in getting OP a relatively short prison sentence the "Family" does not want to pay his bill!!!
:shame:

Thanks, that's what I thought. But I can't help these weird feelings crossing my mind! As I mentioned before, SA confounds little ol' me.

Remember back right after the verdict, but before the sentencing someone here at WS wrote a post about how the verdict was possibly a clever ploy by Masipa herself - she wanted to ensure that the PT appeals the CH verdict so that it could be overturned to murder. Had JM given a harsher sentence, the DT would possibly have appealed, and subsequently get a lesser sentence. The speculation was that Masipa wanted to guarantee a murder sentence, but could only get it if she gave a lesser verdict, with high hopes that the PT appeals.

Does anyone else remember this? I wouldn't know where to start searching for this post, but I thought it was interesting. But to be honest, I personally don't see the mind of masipa being this devious. JMO!

Now that an appeal by the state is definitely on I guess uncle Arnold is going to have to pay Roux the rest of the money that OP owes him, about $559K British Pounds, if he wants Roux to handle the new fight. It's really funny to me how some here believed that OP and his uncle had more money than Bill Gates and were happy to spend whatever it took, and yet when Roux succeeded in getting OP a relatively short prison sentence the "Family" does not want to pay his bill!!!
:shame:

Because they think they are the "Untouchables"..they think they are above the law..that's the message they got from Masipa..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay