Post Verdict - Ross Harris Trial

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL. Yes, I was one of the people he interviewed on the last podcast. Melanie, 31 (he said 32), a teacher... yada yada... However, he told me that he was in agreement with this verdict.

That was you? Yay! :great: I'm so glad your on-the-scene drive was acknowledged on the podcast!

I love Breakdown (as well as Rankin's reporting style). I wasn't sure but I did suspect that he agreed with the verdict. If I may ask, did he give reasons or any additional insight as to why?

I didn't follow the actual trial, but have been following this case since the news broke and thought back then that it was murder-made to look like an accident. The behavior of him and his wife after the discovery also wasn't what you would expect of parents who accidentally lost their child and were grieving. Oftentimes, the judge doesn't permit the jury to hear all of the evidence- and that can hurt either side. "Forgetting your child" after 2 seconds and in such close proximity, and especially when you've cinched him down in a knowingly too-small car seat, when you have a larger one, and have researched child-free lifestyles all cinched it for me. The sexting was irrelevant.

Exactly that.

True, but I did encounter a Tucson in a parking lot and I did the closest thing I could Ross's light-bulb-toss and I couldn't tell you if there was kid in the back.

Maybe if you stay home all day with kids, or find nothing as fascinating as all-things "kid," then forgetting Coop seems totally impossible. The fact is, as Leanna has said, kids get forgotten all the time. Not everyone that forgets a kid gets life plus 32.

"People forget kids all the time??"

Are you serious??? Forgetting a child in a perilous, deadly situation for HOURS resulting in their horrific and tortuous deaths do NOT happen all the time. I have three children: 9, 6, and 3 that I have to get off to separate places before I go to work. Habits and routines get broken all the time in the real world---I'm so sick of the routine-breaking excuse---that doesn't excuse one from being irresponsible.

I do BELIEVE it is possible for a parent to forget their child in a hot car. However, it is NEVER an accident. It is ALWAYS negligence. Whether you are a parent, grandparent, babysitter, aunt, uncle---whatever, and you have taken it upon yourself to be entrusted with the care of helpless infant or toddler, and then your proceed to be irresponsible enough to allow yourself to forget his/her existence so long that they suffer to death for hours in a hot car---that is the definition of negligence. You (the proverbial you of course) are the adult. You are the one responsible. You shirked your responsibilities---intentional or not, it is not something to be brushed off and we all move on. You need to stand before a jury of your peers, prosecuted, and promptly put in prison for the minimum of negligent manslaughter. Minimum.

Kind of like, if I accidentally take a Benadryl (say I meant to take my Effexor, but grabbed the wrong bottle), I drive my car, I feel myself getting sleepy, and I unintentionally fall asleep and unintentionally hit a pedestrian. It wasn't intentional, but it was NOT an accident. It was irresponsible, reckless, and I, as an adult, should've known that as soon as I felt drowsy I should've gotten off the road. And guess what? I would be arrested and charged appropriately.

Likewise, an adult entrusted with the care of child should absolutely have that child in the forefront of their brain, they need to make the choice to keep that child in their working memory, they need to make sure they verify the car is empty before proceeding to lock the vehicle and walk away for hours on end. They, as an adult should know enough to check, double-check, triple check. I am a mother of three small children, I place my teacher bag at the base on my youngest's carseat--that forces me to look into his carseat before exiting my vehicle everyday. Before that, I habitually check my review mirror as I round the corner before turning off at my school.

I am sorry, prosecutions need to be sought in every single solitary case of these neglectful, irresponsible care-givers.

With that said, Ross did it on purpose. The preponderance of evidence pointed to the only REASONABLE conclusion being intent. He deserves his life sentence, and honestly he deserves worse. For the record, the manner of Cooper's death was Leanna's worst fear, in her words "we talked about it all they time." If they talked about it all the time and feared it--that makes it even MORE LIKELY he did this intentionally because people who fear things take steps to prevent it. Just like I do, I'm deathly scared of forgetting my child in a hot car (because of this case), so I have multiple checks in place. I don't believe for one second Ross "feared" hot car deaths immensely, or this never would have happened.

That was you? Yay! :great: I'm so glad your on-the-scene drive was acknowledged on the podcast!

I love Breakdown (as well as Rankin's reporting style). I wasn't sure but I did suspect that he agreed with the verdict. If I may ask, did he give reasons or any additional insight as to why?

Yes indeed, that was me :) He was very intent on interviewing me because I drove 8 hours one-way to be there at the sentencing. It was an incredible experience, and I'm glad I was there to represent Cooper. Although, I wish I had stayed on the defense side of he courtroom because I would have been recorded the entire time. When we moved to the prosecution side (we were confused, lol), we managed to sit behind this big dude and you can only see the outline of my hair and the shoulder of my pink jacket. :( :( :(

Rankin of course asked my opinion of the verdict and sentencing, and when I stated I supported it--he said point blank that he agreed with verdict (said it was the "correct one") and the sentencing (really the only logical sentence for the charges he was convicted of).

True. I guess it will depend upon whether there isa legal precedent for the judge to ask for the notes to be shared with the State. I don't know if that is common or unusual or what.

But I do know that this is a very experienced, intelligent judge with lots of experience with appeals cases. She served in the County Superior Court. So I think she probably stayed within some legal guidelines in the way she worded her ruling.

I searched several times to find any cases that she had reversed for judicial error---I didn't find anything. Maybe I looked in the wrong places. who knows...

I also checked, no evidence any of her decisions have ever been reversed.

I need to read the entire motion and do some more research but so far I think the defense has a good chance at a retrial with the Dr Diamond notes situation alone. JMO

Yep, it bothers me. But again, the judge has had a lot of experience and no judge wants a verdict in his or her courtroom overturned. We'll see, but this will prolly take a while... Ugh! I don't think I can stand one more minute of having to see his face.

Given that he was sexting minors, I doubt that they will let him have internet access anytime soon. Yes, he was more passive-aggressive than Scott- waited until the child was born, but doesn't mean he wanted to be a father. I saw a photo of Conner on top of him where Ross clearly looked pissed that the child was placed on him. Other pix may have been photo ops. Female equivalents are Casey Anthony, Susan Smith, and Darlie Routier. None of them wanted their children either because they got in the way of their lifestyles. People also claimed Casey was a good mother. Clearly they didn't see the whole picture or she fooled them. Ross did the same. Good parents don't kill their children.
Susan Smith is even more similar, because she drowned her already born children in her car. They couldn't escape any more than Conner could. The car was the murder weapon. The car did the actual killing.

bbm - Yes, indeed. Those beautiful little boys were strapped down in their car-seats, too.

Unimaginable cruelty and selfishness.

Exactly! You don't forget a kid seated that close to you in an under a minute drive that you've just had a meal with, strapped in, and kissed. Even if you are sexting.

Yes, and he was so close to Cooper in that car, I would venture to say he could prolly hear Cooper breathing or making other little-child noises.

True, but I did encounter a Tucson in a parking lot and I did the closest thing I could Ross's light-bulb-toss and I couldn't tell you if there was kid in the back.

Maybe if you stay home all day with kids, or find nothing as fascinating as all-things "kid," then forgetting Coop seems totally impossible. The fact is, as Leanna has said, kids get forgotten all the time. Not everyone that forgets a kid gets life plus 32.

How could you forget to take your child to daycare, after only moments before feeding him breakfast? With then the intent to take him to daycare? Only moments before! And then, with the baby sitting in the car seat right beside his head, and obviously not asleep because he had just had breakfast. The baby was wide awake, for God's sake. There's no way, no way it was an accident. He purposely baked, tortured, his child in an oven. It's horrific.

Are you serious??? Forgetting a child in a perilous, deadly situation for HOURS resulting in their horrific and tortuous deaths do NOT happen all the time. I have three children: 9, 6, and 3 that I have to get off to separate places before I go to work. Habits and routines get broken all the time in the real world---I'm so sick of the routine-breaking excuse---that doesn't excuse one from being irresponsible.

I do BELIEVE it is possible for a parent to forget their child in a hot car. However, it is NEVER an accident. It is ALWAYS negligence. Whether you are a parent, grandparent, babysitter, aunt, uncle---whatever, and you have taken it upon yourself to be entrusted with the care of helpless infant or toddler, and then your proceed to be irresponsible enough to allow yourself to forget his/her existence so long that they suffer to death for hours in a hot car---that is the definition of negligence. You (the proverbial you of course) are the adult. You are the one responsible. You shirked your responsibilities---intentional or not, it is not something to be brushed off and we all move on. You need to stand before a jury of your peers, prosecuted, and promptly put in prison for the minimum of negligent manslaughter. Minimum.

Kind of like, if I accidentally take a Benadryl (say I meant to take my Effexor, but grabbed the wrong bottle), I drive my car, I feel myself getting sleepy, and I unintentionally fall asleep and unintentionally hit a pedestrian. It wasn't intentional, but it was NOT an accident. It was irresponsible, reckless, and I, as an adult, should've known that as soon as I felt drowsy I should've gotten off the road. And guess what? I would be arrested and charged appropriately.

Likewise, an adult entrusted with the care of child should absolutely have that child in the forefront of their brain, they need to make the choice to keep that child in their working memory, they need to make sure they verify the car is empty before proceeding to lock the vehicle and walk away for hours on end. They, as an adult should know enough to check, double-check, triple check. I am a mother of three small children, I place my teacher bag at the base on my youngest's carseat--that forces me to look into his carseat before exiting my vehicle everyday. Before that, I habitually check my review mirror as I round the corner before turning off at my school.

I am sorry, prosecutions need to be sought in every single solitary case of these neglectful, irresponsible care-givers.

With that said, Ross did it on purpose. The preponderance of evidence pointed to the only REASONABLE conclusion being intent. He deserves his life sentence, and honestly he deserves worse. For the record, the manner of Cooper's death was Leanna's worst fear, in her words "we talked about it all they time." If they talked about it all the time and feared it--that makes it even MORE LIKELY he did this intentionally because people who fear things take steps to prevent it. Just like I do, I'm deathly scared of forgetting my child in a hot car (because of this case), so I have multiple checks in place. I don't believe for one second Ross "feared" hot car deaths immensely, or this never would have happened.

I agree with everything in your post, except that I still believe his wife knew something. Her behavior, her words, and her supporting him say it all to me. If I had a husband who was committing the creepy, heinous acts her husband was and then he did this to my baby, there's no way on God's green earth that I would support him, or even pretend to. I would be shouting it out to the mountain tops that he was guilty. JMO

I need to read the entire motion and do some more research but so far I think the defense has a good chance at a retrial with the Dr Diamond notes situation alone. JMO

THIS>>Staley Clark should have allowed Harris to be tried separately for the three charges involving the teenage girl, because her testimony was too inflammatory, the motion said. It also said the jury should not have been allowed to hear evidence of Harris’ sexual dalliances with the other women because prosecutors “made no connection whatsoever between these specific acts of infidelity and an intent to murder his child.”

THIS>>The motion also said Staley Clark should have allowed the defense to question detectives about statements made under oath when they obtained search warrants early in case. This hamstrung the defense because, from the outset, it told jurors it was going to challenge the credibility of Cobb police, the motion said.

For example, Det. Shawn Murphy testified before a magistrate that Harris had said he’d “researched, through the internet, child deaths inside vehicles” and “how long it takes someone to die in a vehicle, what’s the temperature it needs to be.”

Harris never made such statements, the motion said. http://www.myajc.com/news/local/ros...eal-murder-conviction/Hbuss1IPrWoSQJl6zaOn9N/

ETA: Harris’ lead trial attorney, Maddox Kilgore, declined to comment. Last month, a new attorney, Mitch Durham of Marietta, was appointed to represent Harris. He could not be reached for comment.

*also there was a new law that was signed by Gov and went into effect July 1, but RH was sentenced by the old guidelines. At a hearing on this they had few cases that had been overturned iirc to reflect.

The GA Appeal was very easy to read and just as it happened. The format is different than those I have read/am reading in Arkansas. Some things were just WOW moments remembering this trial. I thinking some may be overturned, jmho

Judge Staley husband passed away last Jan iirc. Did she retire? or maybe she was just reelected? This says term expired 2016? Cant find if she was reelected 2016 to be sworn 2017.

Mary Ellen Staley was a superior court judge of the Cobb County Judicial Circuit in Georgia. She was elected to this position in 1992 and her term expired in 2016.[1][2]https://ballotpedia.org/Mary_E._Staley

I agree with everything in your post, except that I still believe his wife knew something. Her behavior, her words, and her supporting him say it all to me. If I had a husband who was committing the creepy, heinous acts her husband was and then he did this to my baby, there's no way on God's green earth that I would support him, or even pretend to. I would be shouting it out to the mountain tops that he was guilty. JMO

The back of my head needles me with these three statements

He must have left him in the car
We talked about it all the time
Did you say too much

Often times I think this is her brain leaking their plan.

Was it truly her biggest fear or their biggest plan.

Don't come at me with all the in vitro stuff...sometimes people think they want something but it turns out they really don't. That includes children. It's not all rainbows and unicorns....

If he was like Scott he would have killed Leanna. Scott made it clear to anyone who would listen that he never wanted kids. No one saw Ross as anything other than a loving father. I believe the plan for 9th Hour Development was for each member to make an extra 20K per year, to start. So you are suggesting that Ross couldn't wait and decided to commit murder to get a jump start on that 20K from life insurance? You are right, we all have different tastes but I still see zero motive.

As for Ross' education and experience, I am trying to look at this from the persepective of a Warden and his staff. Prison programs are geared toward teaching habitual offenders how to sign their names and hold jobs as dish washers. No matter what you may think of Ross, he has more in common with the staff than any inmate he will ever meet. Since he is never leaving, wouldn't it behoove the prison staff to make him as productive as possible? I'm sure eventually he will be teaching computer classes - perhaps that's why they assigned him where they did.

Laci Peterson might very well be alive today if she hadn't been pregnant:

http://www.wnd.com/2004/11/27537/
"Prosecutor Rick Distaso told the jury Scott Peterson could not stand the thought of being trapped in a “dull, boring, married life with kids.”

“He wants to live the rich, successful, freewheeling bachelor life,” Distaso said. “He can’t do that when he’s paying child support, alimony and everything else. He didn’t want to be tied to this kid the rest of his life. He didn’t want to be tied to Laci for the rest of his life. So he killed her.”

Sounds a lot like RH's situation with the novelty of being married and having kids having worn off and needing an escape, doesn't it? And SP didn't research name change, divorce and watch a video about the exact way LP died 5 days before it actually happened.

Another thread about money mentioned RH salary being about $60K. Since they were already essentially broke on dual incomes, how was RH going to live the kind of life he wanted maintaining a separate residence, paying child support, student loans, in addition to Cooper's daycare and medical insurance? As for his startup, RH was subpar web developer at Home Depot, so their business plan could have been extremely optimistic regarding income projections.

I wouldn't worry about RH education going to waste. He has a business degree with a few programming classes, not exactly a computer science degree which involves rigorous math and science. The taxpayers are already on the hook for his $550K trial and the cost to incarcerate him for the rest of his life. The real waste is Cooper never having a chance to live his life because his father murdered him in the most heinous way imaginable for his own selfish reasons.

Exactly. One of jurors interview even said:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/justin-ross-harris-wife-takes-social-media-guilty/story?id=43558099
Parrish, a 23-year-old married, stay-at-home mother, explained how she came to the guilty verdict.

"There were too many factors that played throughout his day that you wouldn't forget your child in the car,” she said. "To say he literally drove just 1/2 mile to work -- only five minutes -- and forgot his child is unbelievable. I think it is really hard to do something like that.

"He actually mentioned that he forgot to take his double-look,” she added. “He knew those steps, but he didn't take them."

It is so unbelievable and appalling that he actually knew exactly how to prevent this tragedy, took none of those steps, then twice right after Cooper died, claimed how he just wanted to stay out of jail and become an advocate.

I do BELIEVE it is possible for a parent to forget their child in a hot car. However, it is NEVER an accident. It is ALWAYS negligence.

Which is fine, and perhaps the law should be changed to what you suggest. When I described the case to a friend (a father of two), he said exactly what you did.

That was not the law in Ross's case, however, and I find it horrifying that someone could be locked up for life because of an accident. The State didn't come close to proving to me, beyond a reasonable doubt, that it wasn't an accident.

THIS>>Staley Clark should have allowed Harris to be tried separately for the three charges involving the teenage girl, because her testimony was too inflammatory, the motion said. It also said the jury should not have been allowed to hear evidence of Harris’ sexual dalliances with the other women because prosecutors “made no connection whatsoever between these specific acts of infidelity and an intent to murder his child.”

When I discussed this case with a Criminal Defense Attorney friend, the above immediately caught his attention. He said the prejudicial nature of the sex charges far outweighed any prohibitive value in the murder case.

Laci Peterson might very well be alive today if she hadn't been pregnant:

http://www.wnd.com/2004/11/27537/
"Prosecutor Rick Distaso told the jury Scott Peterson could not stand the thought of being trapped in a “dull, boring, married life with kids.”

“He wants to live the rich, successful, freewheeling bachelor life,” Distaso said. “He can’t do that when he’s paying child support, alimony and everything else. He didn’t want to be tied to this kid the rest of his life. He didn’t want to be tied to Laci for the rest of his life. So he killed her.”

Sounds a lot like RH's situation with the novelty of being married and having kids having worn off and needing an escape, doesn't it? And SP didn't research name change, divorce and watch a video about the exact way LP died 5 days before it actually happened.

Another thread about money mentioned RH salary being about $60K. Since they were already essentially broke on dual incomes, how was RH going to live the kind of life he wanted maintaining a separate residence, paying child support, student loans, in addition to Cooper's daycare and medical insurance? As for his startup, RH was subpar web developer at Home Depot, so their business plan could have been extremely optimistic regarding income projections.

I wouldn't worry about RH education going to waste. He has a business degree with a few programming classes, not exactly a computer science degree which involves rigorous math and science. The taxpayers are already on the hook for his $550K trial and the cost to incarcerate him for the rest of his life. The real waste is Cooper never having a chance to live his life because his father murdered him in the most heinous way imaginable for his own selfish reasons.

Well, we know that Leanna wanted more children (ahem), she talked about it frequently. He didn't want Cooper anymore==much less more kids. Had he realized (as Scott did) before Cooper was born--meaning if Leanna had been pregnant (AHEM AHEM AHEM--SENDING SUBLIMINAL MSG HERE) she might've been the one to go.

But alas, the novelty of married life and kids wore off when Cooper was nearly two years old, not in utero. So, Leanna wasn't the target of his murderous motives.

I would not put it past Scott Peterson that if he waited and let Laci have Connor, Connor might've been a sensational hot car death too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298