Post Verdict - Ross Harris Trial

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's absolute insanity. I will never ever understand it. Just like CA. It breaks your heart into a million pieces if you let it

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

For the record, I'm not saying that I believe he is innocent, but that, as a juror, I don't know that I could have voted to convict, based on the evidence presented at trial.

The prosecution struck me as desperately resorting to character assasination and miss-representing facts. I found Leanna to be extremely credible on the stand and, as the closest thing to a living victim, her belief that it was an accident carried immense weight for me (as an armchair juror).

I simply can't balance torturing one's own child to death in a public place with any of the motives given:

1) 20K insurance???
2) A divorce that his wife freely offered? People have mentioned the financial burden but Leanna strikes me as someone who would have been more than willing to take Cooper to Alabama and start a new life. If Ross wanted out, I think she have traded full custody for minimal or no financial support.
3) "Life Style?" That was a creation of the Prosecution. I can't believe he committed murder to be with any of the women paraded before the jury. I suspect he would have grown old seeing the same prostitute once every other month for decades.

Cap it off with making no effort to cover his online tracks, and choosing a crime scene surrounded by people and security cameras.

I know the explaination for this is that "he thought he was smarter than everyone." Jodi acted that way her whole life - she still acts like that, if you follow her tweets. I simply don't see it in Ross.

If I had to pick an option, I think it was an experiment in thrill seeking that went wrong. I don't believe he was consciously aware that he was being filmed at Cobb HQ. When he put his head in his hands and said "what were you thinkng," it wasn't an act, it was a confession. He had been spiraling into ever more dangerous behavior - watching *advertiser censored* in bed next to his sleeping wife, chatting with strangers, meeting with strangers, seeing prostitutes, sexting underage girls, talking about hooking up with men, etc. Scott Peterson was a sex-fiend - he ordered *advertiser censored* channels on his TV within days of Laci's murder. For all the "danger" in Ross's behavior, there really wasn't that much actual "sex." I can see a situation where thrills were getting harder to come by and he left Cooper in the car to take it up a notch. He either didn't have an "end game," or he was unable to stop what he started.

I questioned the motive very early on when I knew very little about the case and your first three options did cross my mind as being not plausible. In fact, I still maintain that the life insurance angle is a non-starter as the payout was small (relative to life insurance coverage) plus life insurance policies for children are not as rare as arguments about this case have made them out to be (I read that 20% of parents take out policies on their children) hence the fact that most major insurance companies offer this sort of coverage.

As far as why Ross didn’t just get a divorce and go his separate way from Leanna, I think this where his very deep-seated passive-aggressive anger towards his de facto mother come into play (in other words, Ross had mommy issues and in this marriage, Leanna was mommy). Combine this anger and resentment with a person who simply does not think like you or I* and the chances of a murder occurring at the hands of this person automatically increase IMO.

(*we know he doesn’t think like you and I as fact in that Ross was 100% on-board with not only communicating with but also trading sexually explicit pictures with a fifteen year-old in his mid-thirties. Proof positive of a mindset that is simply not the norm. Procuring prostitutes and random strangers while married are certainly not moral high points for anyone but once sexual interest in a minor comes into picture, we are definitely talking about a level of line-crossing that the majority of the world’s population inherently finds repulsive.)

“I can't believe he committed murder to be with any of the women paraded before the jury.” Agreed, MrX. Ross was on a mission to have sex with as many women as possible and who the women were per se was inconsequential to him. Had he not been caught, he’d have an entirely new batch of women by next year and another new batch the year after that, ad infinitum. We’re getting back to the anger and resentment issue here as in Ross’s mind, it was somehow Leanna’s fault that his God-given right to scr*w all the residents of Cobb County was being hampered. (Not to mention that the origin of the anger/resentment and “acting out” in the manner of a rebellious teenager probably stemmed from mommy/wife Leanna being a completely non-sexual entity for Ross).

“I think it was an experiment in thrill seeking that went wrong.” For me, this is too many iterations removed the realm of probability to take into consideration. Let’s do a quick hoop-jump count based on what we learned from the trial: (1) intentional murder = a hoop or two (2) accidental death = more hoops (3) thrill seeking adventure, no death intended = warehouse of hoops. ;)

Lastly, you may be thinking this at this point that after all that, I still haven’t spelled out an actual motive. Which is a good point. So here it is. I think Ross desperately wanted to turn back the clock – he didn’t hate Cooper and to the surface degree that a sociopath can, he even loved his son. But he loved himself more (as sociopaths do) and Cooper and Leanna got in the way of a life that he had somewhere along the line discovered made him happier than he ever realized he could be. And between Cooper and Leanna (who he no doubt fantasized about being dead at times), who was it easier to eliminate? In fact, I think in his mind Ross would consider killing Leanna as true murder (due to the hands-on nature and unavoidable violent aspect) while killing Cooper was perceived as being passive (as in, passive-aggressive, the language Ross is fluent in) to the point of not being murder at all (after all, it's easy to ignore the hellish torture aspect of being left in a hot car when you don't have to see it). In short, this wasn’t so much about being “child free” (a phrase that I wish the prosecution dropped once the whole child-free Reddit thread debacle had come into play) as it was “adult responsibility free” with Cooper being the collateral damage in this larger picture. (And as extra-incentive that you just don’t get from messy wife-killing: Ross gets to be an advocate! Woo-hoo!)

MsMtOlympus - I know very few people who haven't wanted "out" of their situations. Some cheat, some get divorced, others "suffer in silence." I know a guy who is currently in a relationship with someone he loathes and fears. He won't leave, but he desperately wants to get "caught" at something - his whole life he has been able get women to leave, until he met this one.

All Ross needed to do was leave his phone or computer on for Leanna to catch him and leave. All I saw at Cobb was that they were going to stick together and have more kids.

I still can't make the leap that it had anything to do with Leanna or his sexting, but unless he really personally hated Cooper, perhaps it is what it is.

MsMtOlympus - I know very few people who haven't wanted "out" of their situations. Some cheat, some get divorced, others "suffer in silence." I know a guy who is currently in a relationship with someone he loathes and fears. He won't leave, but he desperately wants to get "caught" at something - his whole life he has been able get women to leave, until he met this one.

All Ross needed to do was leave his phone or computer on for Leanna to catch him and leave. All I saw at Cobb was that they were going to stick together and have more kids.

I still can't make the leap that it had anything to do with Leanna or his sexting, but unless he really personally hated Cooper, perhaps it is what it is.

You didn't follow this case completely. Ross WAS caught,multiple times, was assigned a shadow from their church and tracked digitally by the friend. They attended counseling.

I hear you regarding the many, many people who want "out" and don't murder anyone much less their own children to get there but the sexual interest in the minor (the minor that we know about that is, God knows the other secrets that were never uncovered) tells me that the psychological makeup of Justin Ross Harris is one where criminal and deviant behavior is possible. The guy you know with the nightmare girlfriend is presumably not a criminally deviant sociopath therefore a criminally deviant sociopathic route to freedom (i.e. murder) is not an option as it would never occur to him as an option. Ross is different and we can't relate to his thought processes and justifications because we're not social deviants. Perhaps there was an easier, less homicidal way to get out for Ross but at the same time, not sending d*ck pics to a teenager tends to make life less complicated as well yet he did just that.

It was strange to me initially that Ross would be seemingly so enthusiastic at Leanna's (bizarre and disturbing but that's besides the point) question regarding having more kids in the future. Several viewings of this footage later it occurred to me that his enthusiasm was actually an expression of feelings of relief (mixed with a little of bit excitement) that Leanna was clearly not the least bit suspicious disguised as agreement. "More kids? Sure! Yes! That sounds great!" The enthusiasm was genuine. The actual words were not.

You make some good points that for the most part also occurred to me early on. However, I eventually made the leap and maybe one day you too will enjoy the delicious cookies that jdj125 has on offer. :eek:

You didn't follow this case completely. Ross WAS caught,multiple times, was assigned a shadow from their church and tracked digitally by the friend. They attended counseling.

Great point, thanks jdj125!

I hear you regarding the many, many people who want "out" and don't murder anyone much less their own children to get there but the sexual interest in the minor (the minor that we know about that is, God knows the other secrets that were never uncovered) tells me that the psychological makeup of Justin Ross Harris is one where criminal and deviant behavior is possible. The guy you know with the nightmare girlfriend is presumably not a criminally deviant sociopath therefore a criminally deviant sociopathic route to freedom (i.e. murder) is not an option as it would never occur to him as an option. Ross is different and we can't relate to his thought processes and justifications because we're not social deviants. Perhaps there was an easier, less homicidal way to get out for Ross but at the same time, not sending d*ck pics to a teenager tends to make life less complicated as well yet he did just that.

It was strange to me initially that Ross would be seemingly so enthusiastic at Leanna's (bizarre and disturbing but that's besides the point) question regarding having more kids in the future. Several viewings of this footage later it occurred to me that his enthusiasm was actually an expression of feelings of relief (mixed with a little of bit excitement) that Leanna was clearly not the least bit suspicious disguised as agreement. "More kids? Sure! Yes! That sounds great!" The enthusiasm was genuine. The actual words were not.

You make some good points that for the most part also occurred to me early on. However, I eventually made the leap and maybe one day you too will enjoy the delicious cookies that jdj125 has on offer. :eek:
LMAO.....eventually they all come for the cookies

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I, too, initially had a hard time reconciling Ross's words to Leanna in the room at Cobb PD. For example, he asks her if she's mad at him and if she's going to leave him. I asked myself, why would this guy who clearly wants out of his marriage ask her those questions? I concluded that he was fishin' for her feelings about not only whether she was angry enough to leave him (probably what he wanted deep down) and how she regarded his level of culpability in his crime. There also may be SOME degree of sincerity in his demeanor in that he was shocked by the finality of the deed, that he was sitting in Cobb Co. PD HQ, and that there was more gravity to what he did than he anticipated--perhaps in that moment he didn't want to be alone--particularly considering that Leanna had filled the role of mommy in his life during the marriage.

Certainly the "enthusiasm" for more kids was an attempt by Ross to negate his evident desire of being childfree to Leanna and anyone "listening in" on the conversation.

Ross did not personally hate Cooper, he "loved" him as much as a narcissist is capable of loving--which is not at all in the sense we non-narcissistic people love people---it's actually tantamount to how we "normal" people "love" objects.

Ross was all about his image, which he would inflate and aggrandize at any opportunity. Cooper was, at one point, a desired trophy and toy for Ross. Initially, Cooper stroked Ross's ego--helping accentuate the good, Christian man, husband, father trifecta he was trying to conjure. But like with any narcissist, the toy (Cooper) lost its splendor and, for Ross, it became a burden. When the burden and hassle that came with Cooper outweighed his benefits, Ross devised a plan that would rid him of the burden without tarnishing his image---in fact, the plan (had it not been figured out) would have enhanced it as he could now add suffering father and hot car advocate to his image.

We have lots of evidence that Ross did not hate Cooper and "loved" him (as an object). Ross was telling the truth in the interrogation room when he said there was "no malice," -- because in his mind he let nature take its course with Cooper, he did not directly, physically harm Cooper in any way, shape, form or fashion. I wouldn't be surprised if in those 30 seconds in the car, Ross was telling Cooper he loved him and he was sorry for what was about to happen to him.

You keep saying there were easier ways out for Ross. Yes, those are easier for US, but they weren't easier for HIM. You are not taking into consideration Ross's personality (disorder). Just walking away from his marriage and tossing Cooper to Leanna would hurt his standing in his church, in his family, and in his community. It also would not rid him of the financial obligations he would have to Cooper--Ross would still have to pay his daycare and likely his health benefits, in addition to child support. Yes, he could have given up his parental rights---but again, that would reflect poorly on his caricature of perfection that Ross's personality craved. I mean, what would HIS BROTHER think of that? Ross clearly (as seen at trial) cares a great deal for what his older brother thinks and feels.

For Ross, the simplest solution was to stage an accident. It wouldn't tarnish his image, it would garner sympathy, it would allow him to seek out fame and notoriety as an advocate for hot car deaths, it would "allow" his marriage to dissolve, and most importantly it removes any and all traces of the burden Cooper had on his life.

Symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder:

Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
Believes that he or she is “special” and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
Requires excessive admiration
Has a very strong sense of entitlement, e.g., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations
Is exploitative of others, e.g., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
Lacks empathy, e.g., is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others
Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her
Regularly shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

In trial, the only two which weren't presented by the DEFENSE's own witnesses are the "envious of others" and "lacks empathy." Of course, the prosecution did a find job of presenting that lack of empathy on their own...

Yes - and Leanna said next time it happens, I'm gone.

Ross did not personally hate Cooper, he "loved" him as much as a narcissist is capable of loving--which is not at all in the sense we non-narcissistic people love people---it's actually tantamount to how we "normal" people "love" objects.

Ross was all about his image, which he would inflate and aggrandize at any opportunity. Cooper was, at one point, a desired trophy and toy for Ross. Initially, Cooper stroked Ross's ego--helping accentuate the good, Christian man, husband, father trifecta he was trying to conjure. But like with any narcissist, the toy (Cooper) lost its splendor and, for Ross, it became a burden. When the burden and hassle that came with Cooper outweighed his benefits, Ross devised a plan that would rid him of the burden without tarnishing his image---in fact, the plan (had it not been figured out) would have enhanced it as he could now add suffering father and hot car advocate to his image.

We have lots of evidence that Ross did not hate Cooper and "loved" him (as an object). Ross was telling the truth in the interrogation room when he said there was "no malice," -- because in his mind he let nature take its course with Cooper, he did not directly, physically harm Cooper in any way, shape, form or fashion. I wouldn't be surprised if in those 30 seconds in the car, Ross was telling Cooper he loved him and he was sorry for what was about to happen to him.

You keep saying there were easier ways out for Ross. Yes, those are easier for US, but they weren't easier for HIM. You are not taking into consideration Ross's personality (disorder). Just walking away from his marriage and tossing Cooper to Leanna would hurt his standing in his church, in his family, and in his community. It also would not rid him of the financial obligations he would have to Cooper--Ross would still have to pay his daycare and likely his health benefits, in addition to child support. Yes, he could have given up his parental rights---but again, that would reflect poorly on his caricature of perfection that Ross's personality craved. I mean, what would HIS BROTHER think of that? Ross clearly (as seen at trial) cares a great deal for what his older brother thinks and feels.

For Ross, the simplest solution was to stage an accident. It wouldn't tarnish his image, it would garner sympathy, it would allow him to seek out fame and notoriety as an advocate for hot car deaths, it would "allow" his marriage to dissolve, and most importantly it removes any and all traces of the burden Cooper had on his life.

Sadly, I've seen too many cases where a father murders over child support. Often it's a crime of rage where the mother is also killed but sometimes it is murder made to look like accident. There was a local case I followed where a father threw his 4 year old daughter off a cliff to avoid child support and claimed that it was a tragic accident.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-cameron-brown-verdict-20150513-story.html

It took 15 years and a 3rd trial to finally convict the father (Cameron Brown) of 1[SUP]st[/SUP] degree murder and he was sentenced to life without parole in 2015. Just imagine if Brown had watched a video about how deadly it would be to fall off a cliff 5 days before his daughter actually fell off a cliff, not even including all the other absurd coincidences with the Harris trial. The verdict would have been unanimous for the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] trial.

Harris did want to be single again without the financial burden that Cooper was to him.
In his own words:
http://www.ajc.com/news/minute-minu...rris-murder-trial-oct/f0ZOLHwG4Q0lopONPoeTDK/
Harris tells one he is addicted to sex. He tells another he "hates being married sometimes, too." He tells another he misses being single. He tells another that "my wife should divorce me." He tells another "sometimes I want to be unmarried." He tells another, on May 19, 2014, "Wish I was single." That was a month before Cooper's death. He tells another, on May 23, "I settled down. Kinda regret it." He tells another on May 28, "I'm a bit miserable, too . . . No sex (in my relationship). You?" He tells another, on March 14, "I'm tired of living with my wife sometimes, lol." He tells another in January 2014, "I miss being single. ... I just want to (expletive) a lot of girls, drink a lot and have fun." He tells another in February, "You don't need a baby. It's not easy, and expensive. . . . I love my son, but that joker drains my paycheck." He tells another, in February 2014, "I have sex with strangers to block out a lot of my pain. ... I like it with strangers." He tells another "I have a sex addiction I've acted on. I kind of regret that."

Ahhh and therein lies the rub. She wasn't and didn't .
I understood that she did not catch him again, after her ultimatum. When she did finally leave him, it was after preparation for trial revealed that he really hadn't stopped. Even then, Mr Kilgore appeared to be sheltering her. For example, her reaction on the stand told me that was the first time she heard Ross was seeing a prostitute while lying about still helping his buddy move.

The problem with the "narcissism" theory (which would make a perfect script for a Lifetime Movie) is that it wasn't presented, let alone proven, at trial. Ross was never tested or interviewed (like Jodi) - or, if he was, the results were never presented. That really is a shame, beacause the theory of Cooper-as-Possesion would have been revealed in a clinical setting. Where Jodi tried to (and often succeded) trick the diagnostic tests, Ross would have been a text book study. Perhaps Dr. Diamond's notes indicated those very suspicions.

You all are making great points - I just feel like a huge piece is missing.

I understood that she did not catch him again, after her ultimatum. When she did finally leave him, it was after preparation for trial revealed that he really hadn't stopped. Even then, Mr Kilgore appeared to be sheltering her. For example, her reaction on the stand told me that was the first time she heard Ross was seeing a prostitute while lying about still helping his buddy move.

The problem with the "narcissism" theory (which would make a perfect script for a Lifetime Movie) is that it wasn't presented, let alone proven, at trial. Ross was never tested or interviewed (like Jodi) - or, if he was, the results were never presented. That really is a shame, beacause the theory of Cooper-as-Possesion would have been revealed in a clinical setting. Where Jodi tried to (and often succeded) trick the diagnostic tests, Ross would have been a text book study. Perhaps Dr. Diamond's notes indicated those very suspicions.

You all are making great points - I just feel like a huge piece is missing.

You think that the first time she heard about minors, prostitutes etc was on the stand? Lol

You think that the first time she heard about minors, prostitutes etc was on the stand? Lol

No, I'm saying that she was on the front line of Cobb's rush-to-judgment and probably didn't believe anything until trial preparation, when the defense team told her what was true. At that point she divorced Ross. I believe the first she heard that Ross was with a prostitute - WHILE TEXTING HER THAT HE WAS COMING HOME WITH FOOD - was on the stand.

Same thing happened with Ms Meadows - prosecution saved the gem that he was telling other women he loved them (while professing singular love for her) on the stand.

So I went back and re-watched Ross and Leanna's meeting at Cobb HQ, this time with the assumption that Ross was guilty of everything. A couple of things stood out.

First, Ross seems obsessed with how Leanna first learned of Cooper's death. This ties back to his frantic attempts, at the crime scene, to tell her to "stay at Little Apron." That never made sense, but watching him, with the presumption of guilt, it seems like a cornerstone of his "plan" was making sure Leanna told law enforcement his story - that it was an accident.

He seems bored and almost uncomfortable with her presence - when her head is in his lap, he seems to be looking around the room thinking "...when is this chick gonna leave?" Anytime she tries to talk about anything other than "I know it was an accident," he starts doing his hyper-ventilation thing and talking about how Cooper is telling Jesus to check out Ross's killer riffs in the church band. After her plea to Stoddard to let Ross walk, Ross is clearly finished with her and is like "...yea, whatever, I'll be fine."

Some little things I never noticed before:

1) Leanna, on the stand, explained that she was in a state of shock and denial and only knew it would be "real" once she entered their house. Ross, at Cobb, says "...I just want to go home."

2) Ross says something about laying on his cell cot and wondering exactly when Cooper "passed." Seems an odd thought, in general, but particularly interesting if one assumes Ross knew Cooper was alive after lunch.

3) When he goes into his "advocate" speech, Leanna seems to stare at him like "WTF?"

4) Maybe it's a religious thing that I don't understand, but what's with Ross saying that he "WOULDN'T" bring Cooper back, if he could (because he's in a better place), and then immediately going into his "what have I done" mantra. Which is it - are you happy he's in Heaven or upset because you sent him there?

I can't recall if this has been asked, but has it been established that Cooper was Ross's biological son?

You made some good points there, MrX. It's often the little details that get us into trouble.

So I went back and re-watched Ross and Leanna's meeting at Cobb HQ, this time with the assumption that Ross was guilty of everything. A couple of things stood out.

First, Ross seems obsessed with how Leanna first learned of Cooper's death. This ties back to his frantic attempts, at the crime scene, to tell her to "stay at Little Apron." That never made sense, but watching him, with the presumption of guilt, it seems like a cornerstone of his "plan" was making sure Leanna told law enforcement his story - that it was an accident.

He seems bored and almost uncomfortable with her presence - when her head is in his lap, he seems to be looking around the room thinking "...when is this chick gonna leave?" Anytime she tries to talk about anything other than "I know it was an accident," he starts doing his hyper-ventilation thing and talking about how Cooper is telling Jesus to check out Ross's killer riffs in the church band. After her plea to Stoddard to let Ross walk, Ross is clearly finished with her and is like "...yea, whatever, I'll be fine."

Some little things I never noticed before:

1) Leanna, on the stand, explained that she was in a state of shock and denial and only knew it would be "real" once she entered their house. Ross, at Cobb, says "...I just want to go home."

2) Ross says something about laying on his cell cot and wondering exactly when Cooper "passed." Seems an odd thought, in general, but particularly interesting if one assumes Ross knew Cooper was alive after lunch.

3) When he goes into his "advocate" speech, Leanna seems to stare at him like "WTF?"

4) Maybe it's a religious thing that I don't understand, but what's with Ross saying that he "WOULDN'T" bring Cooper back, if he could (because he's in a better place), and then immediately going into his "what have I done" mantra. Which is it - are you happy he's in Heaven or upset because you sent him there?

I can't recall if this has been asked, but has it been established that Cooper was Ross's biological son?

You ate the cookie!!! Welcome!!!!!

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by NCTeacher

:loveyou:For those of you interested, the Tuscaloosa Memorial Park announced on Friday that the 1800.00 needed for Cooper's grave marker has been paid in full! Lots of great people contributed to make this happen for Cooper's memorial and it's a cause to which I was personally dedicated. In fact, I know of one person who sent in 1000.00, which is phenomenal. As far as I know, no family members contributed to the fund---it was pushed by a group on facebook set on properly memorializing Cooper. The marker is a footstone with a vase, apparently the owner of Cooper's plot has not paid for all of the plots (or plot) at the cemetery and until that is done he can't have a headstone placed. Anywho, it is fantastic that the production of his footstone will be taking place in the next few weeks and hopefully will be placed by Easter. It was a longtime coming, Cooper has been deceased for nearly 2 1/2 years.

Congrats that's wonderful!!!

But not gonna lie, it makes me sick to my stomach knowing it was all strangers. What is wrong with that family......

And little Cooper's mother did nothing?? Damm.

Makes one wonder if she indeed had knowledge of Ross Harris's plans. Unbelievable...almost.

Good riddance to both his parents. Poor little beautiful boy. Grrrrr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dylanfoxx