Potential DT Witness Sally Karioth

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Too bad there's not a class or seminar for children who have died or been killed and their Mom doesn't even tell anyone, but instead tells outlandish lies implicating family, friends, and total strangers while the child is laying out in the woods becoming a dog treat.

Okay being new to this trial like the jury; I have to admit this is one time I DO NOT like how the state is handling this lady. She is knowledgeable! Grief is clearly her passion, and the years she's been involved in studying grief is amazing. She also seems to want to always help people in need! The states needs to handle this woman a lot more gracefully. The state could also use her knowledge to help them. UGH! She reminds me of the cool eccentric worldly professor that everyone loves!! Let her be! Just my opinion!

Dr. Sally Karioth is an esteemed professor at Florida State University. I completely dislike Casey Anthony, Jose Baez and the entire defense team, but I will say that they are getting an absolute gem of an expert witness in Dr. Karioth. She is intelligent beyond belief, successful, capable and one of the most caring, endearing people you will ever meet. I took her "Individual, Death and the Family" course about two years ago in my senior year. It was, without a doubt, the most interesting, educational and satisfying class of my entire college career. It was honestly life-changing. Daily I refer to advice or things taken or learned in Karioth's class. She's not some unqualified clown, and she certainly is not an "overpaid public speaker" as someone so kindly commented. She is an amazingly accomplished, powerful, UNEQUIVOCALLY wonderful woman, and I can only hope to become half the person she is one day. I urge any of you who may be upset with the case (as everyone is) or Mr. Baez to not direct your anger or judgements toward this woman who deserves nothing but respect and praise. I certainly hope whatever testimony she may give is not overly helpful to the case of the defense, but there is no doubt in my mind that whatever she says on the stand will be smart, honest, factual and eloquent. No fluff or paying off this "expert witness". Trust me, she doesn't need the money or recognition- I believe she is quite comfortable in both respects. Sorry to rant, I'm sure there's an army of people who would join me in support of Dr. Karioth, but I simply could not sit back while the anger, or oblivion (leading to ignorance), of some, in any way tarnished the name of a truly incredible person!

It is an amazing opportunity to run into a truly valuable professor, there are few who can actually impact a student's overall outlook to the extent you have attributed to this professor. You are blessed to have had that experience.

Being a fantastic professor does not equate to being an expert in any field. While her motivational speaking career is also a tribute to her ability to 'help' those who have experienced a traumatic event, that also does not equate to being an expert. Her profession of 'helping' those who are bereaved or having experienced trauma does not equate expertise in the study of the 'expressions of grief'. There is little scientific data on that outside of the psychiatric, psychologic, and mental health professions.

For any professional in the health care arena at her level who cannot succinctly outline her own publications within peer reviewed journals screams of that individual not being steeped in the scientific expertise of the field. Experts study their field, carry out research and publish that research in order to raise the standard of the science and of their own profession and their own career.

IMHO She has stepped way out of the bounds of her actual abilities and it will show during her testimony that she was either not given the correct information about what she would be asked to testify to, or her eccentricities have reached a level of ego believing she has expertise when she factually does not.

Her CV leaves me to believe it is the latter.

I think in watching this train wreck it is pretty clear this woman has taken on this 'expert testimony' where actual experts would run from it like the plague because of the detriment to their hard earned reputations.

I'm still very thrilled for your having had your experience with her motivational abilities. Those are real and valid and she's to be commended for that work.

This lady sounds fascinating, she is obviously intelligent and an engaging speaker/lecturer. I would love to hear more from her outside the scope of this trial.

That said, one thing sticks in my mind. How many parents involved in filicide has SK studied so that she can draw a comparison to ICA's "grief" behavior? It's really not that far fetched an idea that the vast majority of people that are grieving inside a hospital room for a patient are emotionally invested in that person. I can't begin to imagine how the emotional fall out (or lack of it) of someone that is willing to bag up their child and throw them in a ditch can even compare to someone with a real and positive emotional connection to a deceased person.

It is an amazing opportunity to run into a truly valuable professor, there are few who can actually impact a student's overall outlook to the extent you have attributed to this professor. You are blessed to have had that experience.

Being a fantastic professor does not equate to being an expert in any field. While her motivational speaking career is also a tribute to her ability to 'help' those who have experienced a traumatic event, that also does not equate to being an expert. Her profession of 'helping' those who are bereaved or having experienced trauma does not equate expertise in the study of the 'expressions of grief'. There is little scientific data on that outside of the psychiatric, psychologic, and mental health professions.

For any professional in the health care arena at her level who cannot succinctly outline her own publications within peer reviewed journals screams of that individual not being steeped in the scientific expertise of the field. Experts study their field, carry out research and publish that research in order to raise the standard of the science and of their own profession and their own career.

IMHO She has stepped way out of the bounds of her actual abilities and it will show during her testimony that she was either not given the correct information about what she would be asked to testify to, or her eccentricities have reached a level of ego believing she has expertise when she factually does not.

Her CV leaves me to believe it is the latter.

I think in watching this train wreck it is pretty clear this woman has taken on this 'expert testimony' where actual experts would run from it like the plague because of the detriment to their hard earned reputations.

I'm still very thrilled for your having had your experience with her motivational abilities. Those are real and valid and she's to be commended for that work.

Well yeah, that's what I meant to say you just said it more good that me did :)

I agree that a great professor is a wonderful thing and I hope to be one some day. It is a gift.

she says she was in london prior to this case but she's a professor at FSU? and has never heard of this case even though FSU is aprox. 250 miles from orlando?

I was not impressed with her as a witness. In my opinion, she seemed to have a delivery as though she was trying to always be selling herself. It wasn't just her words, but the way she spoke with her body language. She would trail off in her answers with too much explanation and she tended to lose me. I thought she lacked conviction in her answers.

Lady Sleuth
jmho

I am glad she has your respect. I am cringing at her lack of knowledge though, not even knowing what a peer reviewed journal is? I guess it is difficult to get someone who would say Casey was just grieving in an unusual way. As a SOC/SWK Master, I have some knowledge of the topic, and the behavior she displayed was not grief or trauma I have ever experienced or studied. (in a peer reviewed journal) But everyone is different I guess.

I have many things to say about Sally, after watching her testimony, her you-tube videos, and reading some of her articles. I will withdraw all statements for fear of a TO ;)

However, I completely agree with you that ICA did not show the "typical" patterns of grief as one would assume, and was quite unusual.

I had a moment, one moment, wherein after my mum died I got completely snockered (no wonder I didn't get alcohol poisoning), and woke up talking to an elderly lady drinking orange juice. I was with my husband and DS in a hotel after the funeral and went to the bar -- don't remember much after that. I never ever want to be in that dark place again. My husband found me in the restaurant and I had NO clue as to how I got there.

After several years of therapy (yes, I had a very dysfunctional familY) the sun is shining brighter.

I can only talk about grief from my own experience, but can't imagine going on for 31 days like that.

Can you really compartamentalize (sp) that kind of horror and put it in a box and store it away?

After day one I was a horrid mess - no getting past it. No, I didn't kill my mother (though I thought I had by not getting her to the hospital soon enough).

Dang - too many feelings coming to the surface.

Hugs,

Mel

On cross examination, I liked that the prosecution was allowed to give hypotheticals which matched Casey's actual behavior during the 31 days, but I was disappointed that JA used the word "compartmentalize" when asking the doctor if she's ever seen someone grieve like that, i.e., compartmentalizing the event in order to continue on as if it hadn't happened. I kept wanting him to somehow insert the fact that most people who commit murder can easily live as if nothing happened because they simply don't care. And a murderer who acts out like Casey did isn't covering up her grief, she's celebrating her freedom.

I was not impressed with her as a witness. In my opinion, she seemed to have a delivery as though she was trying to always be selling herself. It wasn't just her words, but the way she spoke with her body language. She would trail off in her answers with too much explanation and she tended to lose me. I thought she lacked conviction in her answers.

Lady Sleuth
jmho

I agree with this. I haven't posted much about this trial, if for no other reason than I can't keep up with you guys, but I had to comment on this witness b/c I thought she was just so very odd (can't think of a better word to describe her). I really can't put my finger on exactly what it is I'm sensing from her, but its definitely not anything positive as far as her effectiveness as an expert witness and I also got an overall weird feeling from the way she presented herself. As Lady Sleuth said, her body language and speech was not that of an expert who was sure of themselves or their answers and certainly not anywhere close to an expert I would put on the stand......but let's be honest, none of their witnesses have even appeared to have spoken to the defense team prior to taking the stand so they obviously don't put a lot of stock in "witness prep." She came across to me as someone you could have found in any counseling center, bookstore, etc who believes themselves that they are an expert on a certain topic and will insert themselves into conversations to tell others about their "expertise" and past experiences, but in reality they are just another semi-looney who likes to hear themselves talk.

Also, I think the reason we saw Casey become emotional during this expert's testimony and during no one else's today was because Casey's behavior was being discussed for all the world to hear and she had no control over it. Obviously, she and the Anthony's know who and what she is, but its pretty clear that she has never had to sit and listen to others discuss certain behaviors/symptoms/mentall illnesses that she may have exhibited, especially when the whole world is also listening. I think this lack of control over what was being said and her total inability to use any of the "tactics" that she's used so successfully throughout her life to stop/change/divert a conversation away from a topic she doesn't want discussed or can't handle was the only reason we saw the water works start.

I couldn't figure out how the SA would bring this one back. But I think the ending was excellent.

She may be an amazing counselor and an educator but I feel she overstated her credentials as a researcher. If she was one she'd have known what peer review means.

I feel her testimony was rendered rather meaningless by Jeff Ashton pointing out that she was basically saying that anything goes in grief reactions and according to her there was little or no behavior that wouldn't be consistent in grief, at least abnormal grief reactions since everyone grieves differently. When asked if she could differentiate between people who are grieving and people who are not, based on their behavior, she said there is a questionnaire or an interview she uses to tell. Which kind of contradicted what she had said before because the thing about structured interviews and questionnaires is that they must assume there is some sort of uniformity or pattern of behavior in certain categories. If anything goes in grief reactions there is no use whatsoever having a questionnaire because you don't know what, if anything, is typical of grief response since nothing is, everyone is different, and there is no way to score the responses. People must be similar in at least some respects for a questionnaire to work in differentiating people who are grieving and those who are not.

The finale about the mother who had lost her child and wanted to comfort him so he wouldn't have to be alone in the storm seemed to show she has great compassion for her patients but not any knowledge about this case because the example was about the farthest thing you can get from leaving a triple bagged child out in the swamp. If you want to show that seemingly cold behavior is natural in loving mothers who have lost a child that's not the sort of story you need to tell.

Also, I think the reason we saw Casey become emotional during this expert's testimony and during no one else's today was because Casey's behavior was being discussed for all the world to hear and she had no control over it. Obviously, she and the Anthony's know who and what she is, but its pretty clear that she has never had to sit and listen to others discuss certain behaviors/symptoms/mentall illnesses that she may have exhibited, especially when the whole world is also listening. I think this lack of control over what was being said and her total inability to use any of the "tactics" that she's used so successfully throughout her life to stop/change/divert a conversation away from a topic she doesn't want discussed or can't handle was the only reason we saw the water works start.

Politely, I disagree. The only reason, the ONLY reason why Casey shows emotion now is because its something about her. We've all wathed her and watched her, she only shows "true" interest and emotion when it has soemthing to do with her whether someone's talking about how they felt about her {Casey} or how she was with Caylee or how she cried with her dad in jail on the video where she can see herself, that's it!

Lady Sleuth
jmho

I agree totally. And what's up with the gum? In a court of law for a capital murder case????? My grand children are more professional than to do that! She was not qualified for her :twocents:reason for being there. I'm glad HHJP let her testify, now everyone knows that.

I gave her a perfect score for the beautiful backflip she did and her perfect landing on the Prosecutions side of the mat. Gold medal performance IMHO. :)

According to her if you are experiencing grief it's a big free for all!! Everything and anything goes and you can just say you are sad.

Did Dr.Karioth's testimony help the jury decide whether ICA actions show that there was an accidental death as the DT claims, or premeditated murder as the prosecution claims? I don't think that she said one way or another.Looks like a HUGE WASTE to me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauraj333
Back