Potential DT Witness Sally Karioth

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
While she was testifying I was googling "survivor guilt" and "magical thinking" and finding that her definition of those as pertaining to ICA didn't match the accepted definitions.

I kept waiting for "Ugly Coping" to pop out at any second.

Dr. Karioth was just not the right person for this job.

Very knowledgeable, no doubt - but the style didn't fit. Does that make sense?

The whole problem Jose Baez keeps running himself into is that he LOVES to surround himself with people he considers "famous" - as if that validates him somehow.

Well those aren't always the right people for the testimony he seeks.

It has backfired time and time again on him.

You think he would learn.

Same as all his other 'expert' witnesses.No clue why they are there, what they are supposed to opine about, how to testify... not told they are required to provide a written report. I guess they all think they will show up and have a nice conversation with the court.
Poor preparation on his part.

Yes, and "an over-educated fairy godmother" is a very good comparison actually! :floorlaugh:

On another board I belong to someone dubbed her "Dr. Sally Clara"

Sally Jessy Raphael inhabited by Aunt Clara from Bewitched---I about died!

When DS was going through her 'hypothetical case' for Sally ... it sounded like a preview of Jose's closing arguments.

IMO, I think SK choosing to testify in this trial, when she admittedly knows nothing about the case, goes to a lack of professionalism. Anyone who hitches their wagon to this DT has some sort of agenda. I had never heard of SK before (some have), but now I have. As millions of others who had never heard of her. It's AL again, but a different sort of expert. AL wrote a book, timed IMO, w/ this case. I would not be surprised if we hear a lot more about SK and a book is released within the next six months.

The other thing that really bugged me was her jovial attitude and putting her chin (almost coquettishly) on her hands while looking at the jury. Totally inappropriate, IMO. Based on her appearance today, I can't imagine seeking out this woman for any sort of counseling. There is something patronizing and smug about her.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?start=0&q=sally+karioth&hl=fi&as_sdt=0

Link to google scholar listings for Sally Karioth.
There is one co-authored article from this century that appeared in an online journal that says it's peer reviewed but is not published any longer according to their site. I'm not sure if she got the journal name right in her testimony. The topic is not grief reactions per se but nurses responses to having to empathize all the time.

The other mentions are older.

A couple of books that do not appear to be peer reviewed, from the 1980's and the 1990's.

A study from 1977. Her thesis possibly? It's published by the University of Florida and does not appear to have anything to do with grieving based on the title.

Something from 1973 that deals with adult education in Great Britain, not sure if this is hers.

Many of these listings are publications from the University of Florida in which she's been mentioned as a committee member, not as an author.

Some do not appear to be related to her.

---

http://nursing.fsu.edu/Faculty-and-Administration/Faculty-and-Staff/Sally-Karioth-PhD-RN

lists some publications not available in Google scholar. There is a Barnes & Noble book that sounds like the one she was talking about in her testimony but it's a Child Magazine guide, not the Parents magazine as she said in her testimony.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Feeling-Safe-Children-Terrorism-Magazine/dp/0760746818"]Amazon.com: Feeling Safe: Talking to Children About War and Terrorism (Child Magazine Guides) (9780760746813): Editors of Child: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41V5N6VF74L.@@AMEPARAM@@41V5N6VF74L[/ame]

Select Publications:

Editors of Child Magazine, Karioth, S.P, et al (2003). Feeling safe talking to children about war and terrorism. New York City, NY: Barnes & Nobles Book.
Karioth, S.P. (2002). Things I wished I'd learned as a Freshman but didn't know who to ask: an unofficial guide for navigating your first year in college. Tallahassee, FL: K.P. Publishing Co. Book written as product of Presidents seminar grant.
Brown, H.J., et al(2001). Highlighted in yellow, A short course in living wisely and choosing well. Nashville, TN: Rutledge Hill Press.
Karioth, S.P. (1998) (2nd Edition) If You Want to Know If You're Dying Ask The Cleaning Lady And Other Thoughts On Life And Happiness: Revisited.
Karioth, S.P., et. al. (1996). Chicken Soup for the Surviving Soul. Deerfield Beach, FL.: Health Communication Inc.

A PubMed search for Karioth yields three results for Karioth, S or SP and one for SJ (has she used that initial?)
An article called Things I've learned along the way sounds more like a conversational piece or a column than original research to me and the others have to do with assertiveness and the world revolving around you, which, while intriguing, does not seem to deal with grief reactions.

1. Things I've learned along the way.
Karioth SP.
Pa Nurse. 1993 Jan;48(1):28. No abstract available.

Since the world revolves around you, why aren't you in charge? Some thoughts on self assessment.
Karioth S.
Imprint. 1981 Sep;28(3):28-9, 77-9. No abstract available.

The assertiveness blitz.
Karioth SJ.
Imprint. 1979 Sep;26(3):38-40. No abstract available.

So you want to be assertive...?
Karioth S.
Imprint. 1977 Oct;24(3):30-1. No abstract available.

I can't find any peer reviewed research on grief reactions. Still looking.

I had to rewatch it because for the most part I was either laughing or trying to look away. But my goodness, she was dancing with her hands and body up there on the stand -- rocking back and forth and the hands....the hands!

I wonder if she always testifies this way. She has to be the very first expert witness that I've ever seen testify in such an animated manner.

And, yes, she very much reminded me of Betty Broderick.

MOO

Mel

:twocents: MS, Bell's Palsy, Parkinsons, Migraine, Depression and a host of other pathologies can cause slurring of words. The woman, by my math is in her 70's so I'm inclined to believe any slurring of her words results from something innocent and beyond her control rather than intoxication.

:twocents: MS, Bell's Palsy, Parkinsons, Migraine, Depression and a host of other pathologies can cause slurring of words. The woman, by my math is in her 70's so I'm inclined to believe any slurring of her words results from something innocent and beyond her control rather than intoxication.

I agree - I saw all the tweets. But when she left the stand she was quite composed, so I'm inclined to say that something else was going on. Not sure what it was, but as a diabetic if my sugars skyrocket I act like I've just had a quart of tequila. It's not good.

MOO

Mel

I agree. In the future, she should find out more about the case she will be testifying in before agreeing to do so. Ethically she could make up her mind before hand whether she believes in helping whomever side called her.In this case she had absolutely no clue about the facts.
I suspected she was being disingenuous when she claimed she knew nothing about the case. She was describing Casey's behavior during the 31 days, under the guise of listing unusual ways of grieving. It seemed to me she was saying exactly what the defense asked her to say. Of course, I had grown quite cynical at that point, after watching what Casey and Baez had done to George earlier in the day.

That's possible. However chewing gum as a possible way to conceal smell of alcohol also reinforced my suspicion.

A couple of more articles I found searching through the university library portal.

This is just one page:
20 THINGS I'VE LEARNED FROM NURSING.
Karioth, Sally P.
Nursing Aug95, Vol. 25 Issue 8, p64-64
Lists 20 things the author learned from her nursing practice.

The following has to do with grief but it's just a book review:
Karioth, Sally P.
Figley, Charles R.
Grief in Children, A Handbook for Adults (Book).
American Journal of Family Therapy Spring93, Vol. 21 Issue 1, p85-86
Reviews the book "Grief in Children, A Handbook for Adults," by Atle Dyregrow.

---
CANCER NURSING 15 (1): 73-73 FEB 1992 reviewed the cleaning lady book she wrote.
----

IMO, she said the ultimate opinion of this case:

JA: You would agree that the bond between mother and child is hard to break, even with death.

SK: I don't think it breaks.

JA: No further questions.

I agree. Did anyone else get a little bit of a Betty Broderick flashback a few times with this lady? I may be totally off here, but there was something that kept making me think about BB the whole time I was watching today...especially the Lifetime Movie version of BB.

She reminds me of a Nurse Practitioner that I used to see. It didn't matter what I came in for, she took up the majority of my visit with anecdotal reasons why I was feeling like I was. At one visit I was there for some meds for an allergy and what should have been a quick visit turned into an added 15 mins so that she could tell me about her son and how ins stinks because they won't approve his stop smoking meds... The last time I saw her was when her anecdotal dx almost killed me. She told me the type of cyst that I had on my ovary was the type that goes away. She backed this up with, of course, a story about her daughter in law and how her cyst disapeard. "No worries". 8 cm's later I was on an operating room table because mine was a fast growing cyst and was at the point of rupturing.

This witness said that all patients and situations are different. Yet, she continued time and time again to use anecdotal info that lumped people together.

I am also disapointed in her behavior in court. Gum Chewing?? In a Courtroom? Someone could very possibly lose their life, she should have a bit of reverence for our court and our process. When there was a sidebar she looked at the jury as if she was trying to get them on her side. She looked at each and every one of them. It was a blantant display and I was disgusted..Say what you will, most of the witnesses have conducted themselves with respect for the court. Perhaps she is hoping Barnes and Noble will cut her a deal if she is talked about by the jury after the trial is over.

The witness today was as anecdotal as they get. She had nothing to add. What I saw was a wei:waitasec:red sort of self promotion. I am still scratching my head over this witness.:waitasec:

TC, Robin

I think that it may just be her upper midwestern accent that has stuck with her all of her life.
Her parents may have immigrated here, or, grandparents that were close in her up-bringing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elainebenice
I agree. Did anyone else get a little bit of a Betty Broderick flashback a few times with this lady? I may be totally off here, but there was something that kept making me think about BB the whole time I was watching today...especially the Lifetime Movie version of BB.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Well, Jeff Ashton had to put the skids on her right out of the gate when she started to tell how she walked into the University of Florida asking about a job, and went right into her speel that is on her video on the first page of this thread - word for word.

Honest to God, I half expected to see her come down off the witness stand and do her little shin-dig, arms-a-flapping, Minnie Pearl bit.

And, she looked really put out that she was stopped.
Very offended and shocked, then, later on, actually p-o'ed.
Doing little huffs and puffs.

She was funny though when whats-her-name started out giving her all those "hypotheticals" in her make believe person. :floorlaugh:
I thought she was gonna stroke out on that one.

I had to rewatch it because for the most part I was either laughing or trying to look away. But my goodness, she was dancing with her hands and body up there on the stand -- rocking back and forth and the hands....the hands!

I wonder if she always testifies this way. She has to be the very first expert witness that I've ever seen testify in such an animated manner.

And, yes, she very much reminded me of Betty Broderick.

MOO

Mel

Do you have a link to her testimony ? All I could find was this little gem.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1NcA57C8aU"]YouTube - ‪Sally Karioth in Casey Anthony trial June 29th is a "grief" expert‬‏[/ame]

I think that it may just be her upper midwestern accent that has stuck with her all of her life.
Her parents may have immigrated here, or, grandparents that were close in her up-bringing.

Interesting accent! Reminds me of those saloon ladies in Western movies.

Well, she seems to be a motivational speaker that keeps audiences enthralled with her storytelling, wit, and endearing anecdotes that keeps people's attention. She also has a degree in theater. Between knowing how to capture attention, put on a show, and relate to others so that they are pulled in by her moving stories and relatability, I think she was in effect: stepping up to the stage, talking into her microphone, turning on her character, and putting on her speech and show for her 'audience' the jury: with her narrations, long explanations, quirky mannerisms, acting, and all.

I was totally perplexed when she began this morning, and said I think there is seriously something wrong with her, but then I looked her up. Seems to make sense with what she does then...but still totally inappropriate and just plain gross to watch.

...And, true to what her expertise really is in - she moved me to tears with her last anecdote like she did so many others on this forum, poignantly telling of the mother who needed to sit by her dead child's grave in the dark and rain. But that's what she seems to be 'good' at, isn't she?

However, I agree with several other posters on here, in that ironically, I believe that drove the point home of the stark contrast of what a grieving mother and a non-grieving mother would do in the event of the loss of their child.

because real grief means you never want to leave your child alone - even when they are gone.

poetic justice and poignant indeed

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forensicsdropout
Back