Prosecutor Juan Martinez releases new book, February 2016 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What about this idea? Maybe she wore ninja boots. IIRC, Tabi's? She did like martial arts movies. Nite all, my brain is fried from over thinking... time to go meet friends a drink a couple or three. Don't ever worry, I have a designated driver and some of my friends are off duty car chasers. LMAO.

I just noticed this, look just above the arrows, you can see the whole line of Travis' shoulder/back against the floor, there's no foot in that 'sock':

View attachment 89424

I believe those are the ridges where the tongue of the shoe is attached. They just happen to coincide roughly with the line of Travis' back. You can even see the laces and either eyelets or hooks for the laces.

Jodi's foot has to be in that spot because the pant leg requires a foot protruding beneath it.

That shower stall is tiny. Travis was a big guy. Maybe he left the door open when he took showers so he wouldn't feel so closed in. The rug would soak up any water. Just sayin.......

Per testimony the shower door was open. From 5:22 to 5:30. He was allowing the "photo session" His back was turned in only one pic. Some see fear in the face shot. To me he looks like "I've humored you for damn near ten minutes. I've got to be on a call in an hour. Time for you to go". If only she had chickened out and just left

That shower stall is tiny. Travis was a big guy. Maybe he left the door open when he took showers so he wouldn't feel so closed in. The rug would soak up any water. Just sayin.......

The door was closed until after the 5:29:20 pic(the second last one of him alive in the shower), you can see the water on the shower door up until then when enlarging/enhancing the photos. At 5:30:30 however, the door is now open and all hell breaks loose between then and the ceiling shot at 5:31:14.
TAcollage1.jpg TAshowerA.jpg

The door was closed until after the 5:29:20 pic(the second last one of him alive in the shower), you can see the water on the shower door up until then when enlarging/enhancing the photos. At 5:30:30 however, the door is now open and all hell breaks loose between then and the ceiling shot at 5:31:14.
View attachment 89440 View attachment 89441

Testimony was door open the whole time. You can see the water effect. Also the frame in several pics.
JM verifies this in the book.

I just finished reading the book last night, couldn't put it down. Now, I have to go back and take some serious notes. I doubt there will be another book, based on what Juan has said in the media. So, we'll have to extrapolate from what he wrote. I was sad to see the book end without any discussion of the penalty phase.

However, I did notice how carefully the book was crafted (unlike a certain other defense book I've seen bits of) very carefully to avoid his emotions about the case. Juan didn't go into any material that, IMHO, would get him in trouble with the bar or affect JA's appeal. Based on the title, Juan told us the steps he had to take to obtain the conviction.

It's obvious to me, and probably to all of you, that the most important issue was to prove premeditation and defend against domestic violence. The pictures from Travis' camera proved she was there, but didn't speak for or against DV. The gas cans were the key to proving premeditation.

The majority of his strategy was to defend against the defense's arguments. Jodi was her own worst nightmare on the stand as Juan was able to call her out on all her lies. However, there was at least one juror in each DP phase that fell for her "story" just enough to not vote for the DP.

Thanks to all who have posted links to the portions of the trial that bear watching again. My house will remain a bit of a mess for a while as I watch even more parts of the trial and talk here.

I'm also wondering if the AG investigation could be about jury tampering. Just putting the idea out there...

I just finished reading the book last night, couldn't put it down. Now, I have to go back and take some serious notes. I doubt there will be another book, based on what Juan has said in the media. So, we'll have to extrapolate from what he wrote. I was sad to see the book end without any discussion of the penalty phase.

However, I did notice how carefully the book was crafted (unlike a certain other defense book I've seen bits of) very carefully to avoid his emotions about the cases. Juan didn't go into any material that, IMHO, would get him in trouble with the bar or affect JA's appeal. Based on the title, Juan told us the steps he had to take to obtain the conviction.

It's obvious to me, and probably to all of you, that the most important issue was to prove premeditation and defend against domestic violence. The pictures from Travis' camera proved she was there, but didn't speak for or against DV. The gas cans were the key to proving premeditation.

The majority of his strategy was to defend against the defense's arguments. Jodi was her own worst nightmare on the stand as Juan was able to call her out on all her lies. However, there was at least on juror in each DP phase that fell for her "story" just enough to not vote for the DP.

Thanks to all who have posted links to the portions of the trial that bear watching again. My house will remain a bit of a mess for a while as I watch even more parts of the trial and talk here.

I'm also wondering if the AG investigation could be about jury tampering. Just putting the idea out there...

Well said. I would argue, though, that neither of the pivotal jurors - -the foreman on the 1st and 17 on PP2 panel-- were persuaded by any evidence presented.

IMO both jurors misrepresented their beliefs during voir dire. Foreman 1 was by his own admission anti-DP and didn't think jurors should be put in the position of deciding whether or not the DP should be imposed. He would never have been selected to serve had he been more forthcoming during voir dire.

Had JM not presented such a persuasive case for premeditation, I think it's entirely possible Mr foreman would have felt emboldened to vote her not guilty. Comments by his fellow jurors support this view.

And juror 17? JM knew there was something troublesome about her, which is why he challenged her in voir dire. JSS ruled against his challenge.

JM mentions in his book that he reads every single page of every single potential juror's questionnaires himself. That is exceptional diligence.

But the fact of the matter is that our jury system is predicated on trust.

Potential jurors are trusted to tell the truth in voir dire, trusted to abide by judge's instructions, trusted, when asked, that they have truthfully abided by those instructions, trusted to keep an open mind and trusted that when they go back to the jury room they will deliberate in good faith.

If there are any post-conviction doubts about whether or not jurors violated any rules, during appeals the onus is entirely upon the defendant's attorneys to provide conclusive evidence supporting their allegations.

Juror 17 may or may not have deliberately misrepresented her bias towards the defendant or her view on the DP during voir dire. I imagine only she knows that with absolute certainty.

But I think it's fair to say that there was absolutely nothing that JM could have said during PP2 that would have convinced her to vote DP, and nothing in particular or at all that was said by the DT to convince her to vote life.

In other words, IMO every single juror who was fully truthful in voir dire was persuaded by JM's case for conviction, and that she was deserving of the DP, even if when the moment came to vote DP a few jurors realized they couldn't do so.

Bravo, Juan Martinez.

Does anyone have ideas how his head is raised if that's blood from his throat being slashed? According to the autopsy, once his throat was slashed, he wouldn't have been able to make any voluntary movement and would be unconscious in seconds. Maybe she had his hands and was pulling him by his arms, that would explain his raised arm. But even then, his head would be slumped back. It has always left me confused that his head was raised.

it doesn't seem like his head would be up like that, but if the camera took a picture, i would assume it had been disturbed, which means she may have been in the process of moving, striking, or kicking him. hitting the camera in the process. so perhaps she was trying to get him positioned for the best way to get him back to the shower?

BAMM!!! Here is another wrench to throw in the mix, does she possibly have his hands bound together and is pulling him via a "rope"? Maybe that's where the "rope" came into play and not the bedroom. His right arm is up and over the body I think. Also the wide streak of blood appears to be coming from the neck??? MOO

Interesting idea, I've been puzzling over those fibers lying around the bathroom floor, they've always made me think of those tie-backs for drapes with the tassle ends - but, is there anything in the autopsy report mentioning any ligature-like marks around his wrists? I'd think if she used anything to tie/pull him, it'd have shown up in the report and trial.

The wide streak does seem to be coming from his neck area, but he had quite a few wounds around there, what isn't showing are the scalp wounds nor any of the back stabs, seems like we'd see one or two of those in the visible portion of his back, if they had occurred before this pic was taken.

I believe those are the ridges where the tongue of the shoe is attached. They just happen to coincide roughly with the line of Travis' back. You can even see the laces and either eyelets or hooks for the laces.

Jodi's foot has to be in that spot because the pant leg requires a foot protruding beneath it.

Yeah, her foot would have to be in that spot if that's a sock, but you can clearly see *through* that area and his whole back line against the floor. The indentations imo are either from her having held the towel with weapons inside, or stepped on it with wet bare feet, causing them.

Well said. I would argue, though, that neither of the pivotal jurors - -the foreman on the 1st and 17 on PP2 panel-- were persuaded by any evidence presented.

IMO both jurors misrepresented their beliefs during voir dire. Foreman 1 was by his own admission anti-DP and didn't think jurors should be put in the position of deciding whether or not the DP should be imposed. He would never have been selected to serve had he been more forthcoming during voir dire.

Had JM not presented such a persuasive case for premeditation, I think it's entirely possible Mr foreman would have felt emboldened to vote her not guilty. Comments by his fellow jurors support this view.

And juror 17? JM knew there was something troublesome about her, which is why he challenged her in voir dire. JSS ruled against his challenge.

JM mentions in his book that he reads every single page of every single potential juror's questionnaires himself. That is exceptional diligence.

But the fact of the matter is that our jury system is predicated on trust.

Potential jurors are trusted to tell the truth in voir dire, trusted to abide by judge's instructions, trusted, when asked, that they have truthfully abided by those instructions, trusted to keep an open mind and trusted that when they go back to the jury room they will deliberate in good faith.

If there are any post-conviction doubts about whether or not jurors violated any rules, during appeals the onus is entirely upon the defendant's attorneys to provide conclusive evidence supporting their allegations.

Juror 17 may or may not have deliberately misrepresented her bias towards the defendant or her view on the DP during voir dire. I imagine only she knows that with absolute certainty.

But I think it's fair to say that there was absolutely nothing that JM could have said during PP2 that would have convinced her to vote DP, and nothing in particular or at all that was said by the DT to convince her to vote life.

In other words, IMO every single juror who was fully truthful in voir dire was persuaded by JM's case for conviction, and that she was deserving of the DP, even if when the moment came to vote DP a few jurors realized they couldn't do so.

Bravo, Juan Martinez.

Per House....

"It's a basic truth about the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what."

10 seconds....

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZR2k5c_198

JM has agreed to be interviewed by Trial Diaries, which perhaps maybe means he would agree to be interviewed by Tricia on TrueCrime Radio?

Has anyone else mentioned their interest in this to Tricia (HINT)? :D

Interesting idea, I've been puzzling over those fibers lying around the bathroom floor, they've always made me think of those tie-backs for drapes with the tassle ends - but, is there anything in the autopsy report mentioning any ligature-like marks around his wrists? I'd think if she used anything to tie/pull him, it'd have shown up in the report and trial.

The wide streak does seem to be coming from his neck area, but he had quite a few wounds around there, what isn't showing are the scalp wounds nor any of the back stabs, seems like we'd see one or two of those in the visible portion of his back, if they had occurred before this pic was taken.

?? What autopsy wounds are you thinking that would have been shown here?? There are *non-graphic* representations I saw before, that you perhaps are comparing to right now that you could share?

Re: The shower;
Maybe he was in a hurry to finish packing, clean his floors, whatnot. Maybe he began taking a shower, then heard a noise, opening the door. This would, imo, result in the one pic of him looking over his shoulder, surprised and worried. Arias probably snapped a pic, announced her presence, which he probably didn't see the weapons. I honestly think she had a hoodie and baggier pants than we've been thinking, allowing her to stash the smaller gun in them and hide the knife. So, he sees her being creepy again and tells her to get out, he's done with her, get out. She keeps snapping pictures. She pulls out the gun, getting the last picture where he's afraid. He's finally seeing her for the first time. Maybe the gun doesn't go off, giving him opportunity to try to get the gun out of her hand. This is where her "he attacked me" story comes in because he dared to fight back. So she stabs him. He begs for help. This is where the ninja story of him begging for help comes in. At least that's my theory.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

FWIW, Brad (Just Da Truth!) Smith's post is now up. Apologies if already posted.

Does anyone remember Beth Karas bragging on KLNurmi's book? Has anyone heard her say one positive thing about Juan's book? Notice she doesn't get an interview with him. I hope he never does give her an interview.

I read the free book of Nurmi's online and it was worse than I expected. It was very difficult to follow. He is redundant throughout most of it. Just like in trial where he overused the sexual language. And of course, "How did that make you feel?" or "how does that make you feel?" "Three hole wonder," "Sl--", "Whor-", that sort of thing. But he contradicts himself over and over again. He says CMJA was deeply concerned about her reputation and determined to destroy TA's reputation but he couldn't figure out why she wanted to kill him, no motive???? Juan was right, she wanted him and he didn't want her, so no one was going to have him. Simple.

Also, Nurmi say's TA talked and texted with her all the time. She was obsessive with him and I think he responded to keep her from doing anything more destructive. But Nurmi admits she phoned his office constantly, several times in one day and became enraged when he didn't talk to her. She talked for two hours or more on his jail visits about nothing relating to her case, and it drove him nuts. What did he think about TA? He refuses to give TA a break when he complained about similar behavior from this monster.

FWIW, Brad (Just Da Truth!) Smith's post is now up. Apologies if already posted.

Thanks. I've always liked his balanced take on all things JA.

I read his post. I've been skimming past all the posts here about analyzing what happened in the hallway, and zoomed over his take on it with half closed eyes hoping it would be over soon.

Sure was meticulous and well researched, as always, but FWIW, I don't think it's irrelevant that JM states Travis was still alive in that photo.

Beyond that, I disagree with his scenario about what happened before the attack began in the shower. I agree Travis wasn't posing for her, but I think he had to have known she was there. He looks grim because he just wants her to go away.

I think she was probably talking to him the whole time, and that when he turns his face to her it is because she has pulled out the gun, not a knife, and is ordering him to sit down.

A knife in her hand couldn't have convinced him to do so, IMO. Pure survival instinct must have kicked in and that instinct would NOT have instructed him to make himself more vulnerable by sitting down.

Yes she did plan out the murder, and IMO what she planned most thoroughly was her psychological revenge. If she just wanted him dead she would have shot him in his sleep.

I think she wanted to mock him and to make him feel powerless. The gun was for making sure she had maximum advantage to use the knife. My guess is after he was sitting she threw the gun down, intending for him to think he could reach for it, or simply to distract him for the split second it took to pull out her knife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ellllop