Prosecutor Juan Martinez releases new book, February 2016 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I believe the gun took some years to discover? It wasn't simply stashed in the "boot": it was duct-taped into a wheel (spare?) well?

Do you suppose this duct tape came from the same roll as the duct tape at TA murder scene?

Ahhh, but you provided new details! Thx.

I had thought LE had seen her packing the night before.

I love it that she wore virginal white pants supposedly for a "camping" trip. One little sit on a picnic table bench.....

I can't believe co-workers at Casa Ramos would be stupid (or fond of Jodi) enough that they texted her LE was on the way. They didn't realize maybe there was a reason and they'd better be glad?

The other thing I can't fathom, is why her parents would help her organize a rental car. She'd finally got a job. She owed them a ton of money. There was no compelling reason for her to visit DB and MM. There is so much fostering of her lack of responsibility. What the heck?

I believe that camping trip was just a detail she made up for Flores to explain why she had a gun. I think she said it was just an idea being discussed by people at work. I never got the impression she was supposed to be heading on a camping trip that particular morning (of her arrest). She was either "on the run" or headed to see DB & MM, depending which of her stories you believe.

I don't know if you saw my previous response to your questions about the rental car, but she had her faher pick her up at 7:30 that morning to take her to pick up the rental. I don't think the parents contributed anything other than her father giving her a ride.

I believe the gun took some years to discover? It wasn't simply stashed in the "boot": it was duct-taped into a wheel (spare?) well?

JM said it was found in the spare tire compartment in the trunk and was in a handgun case along with an unloaded magazine. 9mm ammo was found in one of her bags

Sandy called detectives weeks after the arrest asking about the gun Jodi had purchased on July 1. Detectives tracked down the car in San Franscisco.

PART 1.....

THE SHOWER, CHANGING VERSIONS, or, “How JM nailed her to the wall on this one”.

April 19, 2008. Text from her () to Travis: We need to redo the shaving scene. They aren’t what I was going for. I’ll make you look way better next time!

(No reply from Travis. By May at the latest he was using the photo of him shaving as his profile pic on MySpace).

Note: A peculiar text, unless……

She’s in Yreka. He’s 1,000 miles away. Just when is she thinking that redo is going to happen, and where?

Remember this piece!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------

VERSION #1

Post arrest interrogation, to the female officer, is trying to get her hands on the photos, she’s still telling version one lie--- I wasn’t there.

: He (Flores) showed me a good picture of him (Travis) yesterday. (Travis in shower).

FO- You took a nice picture of him.

: He would never let me take pics of him in the shower, you know. He was very private about showers. You know, he had like a room, I don’t think you’ve seen his room, but (gets all animated, explains the layout of TA’s bed/ bath suite to FO).

So if he was taking a shower you couldn’t see him from the bedroom unless you walked down the hall, and I never went into the bathroom when he would shower, because he was just private about it, you know.

FO: Are you saying these pictures were taken without his consent?

: I’m just saying that whoever took those pictures must have, I mean its hard to imagine because I got pictures of him once shaving and he was already weird about that.

(FO tells her to stop playing with her, that she doesn’t appreciate being taken for a fool, ending that line of questions).

Note: Story version: Photos couldn’t have been taken with consent because he would never allow it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
VERSION #2. Next day, with Flores, Ninjas did it.

10:58
DF: The pictures that I showed you of you laying on the bed and stuff, was that when those were taken that day?

JA: We also made a video but we deleted it.

DF: A video on his camera? Videos are hard to get once they are erased, they take up so much room and … whereas pictures are a little different.

JA: Umm…

DF: What happened after that? What went wrong? I know that the last photos of him were taken about 5:20, 5:30, and you said he doesn’t like… he doesn’t like you to take pictures of him and stuff.

JA: He was very private about the shower like we…

DF: (Laughs) Was that why you were taking pictures of him in the shower? (Laughs)

11:53
JA: No, no.

DF: (Laughs) Trying to get back at him?

JA: No. Um…

DF: I’m surprised he allowed you to take pictures of him in the shower. The first few looked like he wasn’t too comfortable, but, obviously, whatever you were saying to him made him a little more comfortable.

JA: I remember all that pretty clearly.

DF: You remember that?

DF: What went wrong? Did he say something to you? Were you angry about something? Were you frustrated? What was it?

DF: Something happened at that point, and I don’t know what it was.

JA: What are they going to do with the rental car? Are they going to bring it here?

DF: Mmm hmm. There were several photos of him, and the last one that we have is of him sitting in the shower, and that’s when I think it happened. He was sitting down looking up at you. What did you do? What happened, Jodi? You’ve gone this far. Did you plan on doing that the whole time?

JA: (Whispers) No.

(Later)

JA: I just, you know…He had been cleaning his house umm…so I couldn’t… I wasn’t sitting on the couch. Usually I would just chill on the couch downstairs, you know, if no one was home. Umm…but he had like chairs and all that stuff all over the couch. I think he was cleaning the floors or something, uhh…fed Napoleon.

I don’t know if he made phone calls or not or what he was doing on the internet,

but at one point he was going to go up and take a shower and it took a lot of convincing prior when he was shaving.

I was like, I got some ideas, and they didn’t turn out good at all, not like I wanted to, but I thought that I could get some cool pictures of him shaving, ‘cause he does the whole old-fashioned thing with like this little, I don’t know how it works.

Umm…but he liked it though, apparently, because he used it for his profile picture on My Space.

Umm…so those didn’t turn out as good and I was going to do that later but I asked him if I could take pictures of him in the shower, and he’s like, “No.” I was just like, “I have an idea.” “Well, what do you mean?”

I was like, I said, I saw this thing in a Calvin Klein ad once and it looked really good, and you’re right, he wasn’t really comfortable at first. He’s standing there and he says, “I feel gay.” (Laughs)

DF: (Laughs) He has that look on his face.

JA: So some I deleted and some I kept taking umm…and some he looked really good, I thought.

The one that you showed me yesterday looking right at you, I think that is a great picture. He hates it. I don’t know what he hates about that. I think it’s a very good picture of him.

DF: So you were taking pictures and showing him?

JA: Yeah. Yeah. His shower door was open. His water pressure in that shower isn’t that great, so it’s not like water was going everywhere.

DF: What happened when the last picture was taken?

JA: He was kneeling down in the shower. I don’t remember.

(Jodi becomes animated and begins to use her hands/body to demonstrate)

JA: He’s like…if this is the shower and the sink is over here, I was like right here taking pictures, and I don’t really know what happened after that exactly, except I think he was shot.

DF: Where were you?

(Jodi becomes animated during this response, gets up from her chair and begins to demonstrate where everything was in Travis’ bathroom. She proceeds to kneel on the floor to show Detective Flores where she was crouched).

JA: Umm… if this is his shower and he was sitting here, I was like…Well, if this is his shower, and he’s sitting here, I was like right there on my knees, and his bathtub was right here, and I was taking them here, and I was just going through the pictures, and I heard this loud ring…..

Note: Story version: She had to convince him, it was a Calvin Klein idea she had, no mention of Cancun or working out.

VERSION #3

Letter to TA’s family, July 28, 2008

“Travis and I and the rest of the PPL world knew about the Cancun trip a year prior to when it was announced, but those who were eligible weren’t announced until early 2008.

When (Travis) found out he was going, he began working double overtime on his body and by May and June was feeling very confident in his own skin.

If it weren’t for that he might not have agreed to do those shots, who knows? From this point on things are blurred…..”

Note: Story Version: She directly links Cancun with why she said the photos were taken. This is the only time she makes that explicit. No mention of going for a Calvin Klein look thing.

In this version she proposes the idea but suggests, in that unsubtle psycho way of hers, that Travis might still be alive if he hadn’t worked on his body for Cancun and felt good about it.

BTW, Travis really was working out like crazy, even, as she likely saw it, choosing to exercise at the OKC rather than hang out with her. She texted him during the convention, when did you exercise, what kind, how many, etc.

I’m thinking maybe the fact she knew TA was preparing his body which belonged to her for a Cancun trip without her, though she earned it for him, explains her wee hint of petulant nastiness in late April, iirc, when he asked her if she still had the exercise stats he’d texted her a few weeks before, and she said, oh dear, no, so sorry, my phone deletes older texts. But I did come across some mean texts you sent me, and deleted them, of course.
---------------------------------------------------

PART 2

THE SHOWER, ETC.

VERSION #4

Manifesto, July (?) 2008.

“With Travis’s permission, I took pictures of him in the shower. Those were tasteful shots, from the waist up. We were going for a Calvin Klein ad kind of look. Travis had been working hard on sculpting his body and getting ready for the summer, and as a result felt very comfortable in his skin.”

(Note: Story Version, the last she’ll give before trial. She’s thought more about her story. She’s settled on the ninjas story, so the how and why of a Travis shower photo shoot isn’t her focus, it’s just a prelude to the murder by ninjas whopper that follows next.

She’s edited out any mention of Cancun—went back to the Calvin Klein ad photoshoot version, and the photo taking is presented as a joint idea).

No wonder she couldn’t keep her stories straight at trial.

Day 25, part 1, David Lohr.

BTW, she completely refuses to give him even approx.. times or a sequence of events for anything she did between the last sex pic at 1:45pm and when he got into the shower. More on that in another post. 

She does agree to his timeline about where Travis was up until the time of shower. Woke up, had sex, went downstairs to look at CD’s, had sex in the office. She says she went to take a shower in his bathroom, when she came back down Travis was still in the office.

“At some point he went up to take a shower….”

Digression, completely related, about shaving.

Here’s where JM plays the Flores tape over and over, where she says it took a lot of convincing “ prior when he was shaving.”

She keeps saying the convincing was about having to convince him another time to let her take the shaving pic he ended up using as a profile pic. That the convincing wasn’t about letting her take the shower pics on June 4; that they had discussed THAT “long before,” and he had agreed to them.

JM asks- so he had shaven before shower pics? She said no. Jodith looks down and adds sadly, “he didn’t shave at all that day.”

JM whips out the pic of Travis sitting down in shower, cleanly shaven.

She has already agreed to a timeline which made it impossible for Travis to have shaven at any time before the shower pics, and yet…..he had.

She has also said that she didn’t try to convince Travis while he was shaving to take the shower pics, that the convincing she was talking about was having to convince him to take the shaving pics in January.

Remember now her telling him in April that she wanted to redo the shaving photoshoot, that she was sure she could make him look better?

He shaved that day, without her taking photos of it, and yet she takes photos of him in the shower. In other words, IMO, either she has asked and he didn’t give her permission to take shaving pics much less pics of him in the shower, or he has shaven at some point in the day that isn’t convenient for her to fit in with her story about what happened that day before the shower.

Perhaps there are conclusions to be drawn as well about her story of oral sex that day being uncomfortable because he hadn’t shaven?

Back to the shower.

Yep, she has 2 (interrelated) problems now with her shower testimony and she’s about to acquire some more.

1. She had to convince Travis to get in the shower, VS. oh no, he was OK with getting in the shower.
2. It was HER idea that they take shower pics (CKlein look) VS. it was his idea or a shared idea (buff body, Cancun).

If it was HIS idea, why would she need to convince him to get in the shower?
If it was HER idea, why was she taking the photos? On his camera?

Oops. The only reason for taking the photos on his camera is because HE wanted them, and therefore she shouldn’t have had to convince him, and yet….there it is, Flores tapes: Yah, I asked him if I could take Cklein like pics and he said NO! Flores: yah, he looked uncomfortable at first.

Another oops, though it goes by fast and JM doesn’t follow after it. During the section when JM is asking about whether or not she has ever seen TA’s camera before she says- Yes.

“ I saw a pic he posted on FB of himself, his whole body, posing in the bathroom, and his new camera is clearly visible. “

Umm. He’s already taken that pre-Cancun buff body photo himself? Didn’t need her to do it? And....he’s posted it on FB to show off his buff body, ready for Cancun to everyone? And she by her own admission has not only seen it, but remembers it well enough to think of it when JM is asking her about her familiarity with TA’s camera. Hmm.

The at this point probably thinks the worst is over about the before murder shower thing. She couldn’t be more wrong.

JM is…no words describe. This whole cross is one of the most brilliant in the trial.

He’s already laid the foundation about her unfamiliarity with TA’s camera, including, how awful for her, the fact she’s never deleted pics from it. She senses the danger a few questions later, but it’s too late. She can equivocate all she wants and try to backtrack (oh I MIGHT have helped Travis delete those sex pics. I just don’t remember, really).

And yet…..her story is she took pics in the shower, he looked at them, she deleted what he didn’t like, over and over and over, for 8 minutes. Without knowing how to delete photos on his camera? And, though JM doesn’t even have to say it, there are no other shower pics. She couldn’t have deleted pics with or without TA’s participation.

Why this lie? She is trying to make it appear she had his consent and approval. She did not.

On to the last point, which IMO ties all these like strands together with one great big bow, which is why JM saved it for last before moving on to the murder itself.

JM asks the - so were you directing Travis? NO. Was he posing at your direction? NO. Didn’t you tell Flores you were going for the CKlein look ? YES.

Well then, wouldn’t that be at your direction, you telling him how to pose? To stand up?

To SIT DOWN? : He sat down so we could look at the pics together and decide what to delete. (he’s already destroyed her on that point, by questioning her about her familiarity with TA's camera, BEFORE he began asking her any questions about what happened in the shower. Wow).

He destroys her one last time before moving on to the next seconds and the murder itself:

JM: So you say that was an “accidental” shot of TA’s buttock?

: Obviously ! (….) It had to be accidental, because I would NEVER have taken a photo of that on purpose.

It doesn’t get any more LOL than that.

ETA: There are only 2 photos in the entire 8 minute sequence for which she seems to have taken the time and care to change settings, including lighting and focus.

One is the very first photo. Travis has his eyes closed. He is not smiling, much less looking like he's posing, proud and eager to show off those muscles he's worked for months to obtain.

But that's what this carefully taken photo is focusing on- those arm muscles. That's not a make believe Calvin Klein shot.

IMO it is her ordering him, at gunpoint, to show off those Cancun muscles of his.

The second and only other genuinely posed photo is the haunting one of Travis sitting, facing us. I can't bear to think about what she was screeching hissing at him then.

RickshawFan said:
Her MO might have been 2 knives all along: it's not clear whether she used one or two knives on Travis. Since she's a "florid" liar, I would venture to bet she's a florid knife owner. Or maybe I should say, she's a florid filcher of other people's property, and this naturally pertains to knives that she ripped off from her employers.

Sorry, but I don't remember this... but could they tell "what kind of knife" :jail: used on Travis? You know, on shows like Bones - they can "tell" what kind of knife inflicted wounds?

:tyou: in advance!

samspace070 said:
I wonder how many of us got our books this week? I pre-ordered mine in November but didn't want to pay the extra postage to get it on the 16th. But I am sure happy I got it now, it is an all nighter for sure.

:seeya: raising my hand - got it on a Sunday!! :juanettes: on Chapter 11 - only 241 pages to go!! The book will probably be in your hands RickshawFan by this weekend!!

Here's the Juan Book sharing list so far:

1. RickshawFan
2. MistyM
3. ILikeToBendPages

Anyone else want to join?

I believe Arias thought of killing Travis early on as well. In fact, I think she had fleeting thoughts of killing him from time to time throughout most of their "relationship." I doubt any of those fleeting thoughts were serious enough that she was actually planning murder that far back in time, but I think Killer's mental premeditation and serious murder planning goes back considerably further than the physical acts of premeditation that have been documented. JMO.

I agree with every word. I've often thought that the original break-up followed by the spying incident (sofa, unidentified girl) started the chain of events leading to the planning that was deemed premeditation by a jury. She didn't just wake up in April and decide to kill him. The dark journals and crazy behaviour show how unstable she became.

I agree. It was about more than just ending his life. She wanted to win, while Travis lost. She wanted the feeling of ultimate power over Travis. Her domination of the entire drawn-out scenario was proof in her mind of her fundamental superiority to Travis, it showed her she was on a completely different level.

Spot on. Do you recall her madly muttering something in the interview room like, "I win, brat" or "You win, brat"? Winning meant a lot to her. She lost the game regarding marriage but ultimately 'won' by removing him from the planet. Shockingly sick.

I think I maybe misunderstood what you were saying, H4M, so my response regarding the thread and the video has no relevance? However, I do like the part about St. Jodith cribbing from a Hollywood nun. She can't do anything without copying someone else.

That is a true and sure observation concerning . She mimics the behavior of others because her real self is a monster!

Someone on Reddit asked JM if he thought she had kept a stash of trophies somewhere. His reply was that only she would know that.

I wanted to ask JM if he thought JA may have worked as an escort, especially after finding the "plethora" of condoms in her rental car? Escort seems too polite a word when it comes to her, doesn't it? most likely sold herself to anybody who glanced at her sideways.

I agree. It was about more than just ending his life. She wanted to win, while Travis lost. She wanted the feeling of ultimate power over Travis. Her domination of the entire drawn-out scenario was proof in her mind of her fundamental superiority to Travis, it showed her she was on a completely different level. Ironically, all she really did was sink lower then she had ever been, in order to 'prove' her superiority.

As JM said. Nothing was ever HER fault. To her, Travis had abandoned her after she left Darryl, their house and her California life behind for him. She became a Mormon for him. She moved to Arizona for him. She went to endless boring PPL training meetings and conventions for him. And he repays her selflessness by texting other females, by making her so upset she cannot concentrate on any of her waitress jobs. He has sex with her but talks to other women the whole time and tells everyone he is still looking for the perfect girl to be his wife. Now she's back at grandmas modest house in a small room with a twin bed. She's working at a small diner in a small town. She has no prospects and no friends and no car. And it's all Travis Alexander's fault. She cannot drive by his house to see who is there. She can call and text him but he mostly ignores her efforts. Almost two years of her life had been focused on him and now she's back in Yreka. She'd gambled everything and lost and it's his fault. Her one lifeline out perhaps is Ryan Burns. Problem is he's PPL and Mormon so chances are Travis will learn she's set her unstable sights on Ryan. He's already threatened to expose her. Now he could ruin this too after he's already rejected and humiliated her. She cannot move past her obsession and on with her life with Travis in the picture. She's almost 28. She cannot invest several years into working, saving money, buying a car, finding an apartment. She sees Ryan as successful, young, good looking and a marriage minded Mormon. If she can stake a claim on him...with her manipulation skills she might be married in a year. No way she can let Travis potentially screw this up too. She made the calculations in her Borderline disordered brain and the result was Travis must die so she can move on with her life.

As JM said. Nothing was ever HER fault. To her, Travis had abandoned her after she left Darryl, their house and her California life behind for him. She became a Mormon for him. She moved to Arizona for him. She went to endless boring PPL training meetings and conventions for him. And he repays her selflessness by texting other females, by making her so upset she cannot concentrate on any of her waitress jobs. He has sex with her but talks to other women the whole time and tells everyone he is still looking for the perfect girl to be his wife. Now she's back at grandmas modest house in a small room with a twin bed. She's working at a small diner in a small town. She has no prospects and no friends and no car. And it's all Travis Alexander's fault. She cannot drive by his house to see who is there. She can call and text him but he mostly ignores her efforts. Almost two years of her life had been focused on him and now she's back in Yreka. She'd gambled everything and lost and it's his fault. Her one lifeline out perhaps is Ryan Burns. Problem is he's PPL and Mormon so chances are Travis will learn she's set her unstable sights on Ryan. He's already threatened to expose her. Now he could ruin this too after he's already rejected and humiliated her. She cannot move past her obsession and on with her life with Travis in the picture. She's almost 28. She cannot invest several years into working, saving money, buying a car, finding an apartment. She sees Ryan as successful, young, good looking and a marriage minded Mormon. If she can stake a claim on him...with her manipulation skills she might be married in a year. No way she can let Travis potentially screw this up too. She made the calculations in her Borderline disordered brain and the result was Travis must die so she can move on with her life.
Yes, yes, yes! She went all in (as she always does for men) but in this instance, she moved on with Travis as an "upgrade" to Daryll. By her account, it sounds like the only relationship that hadn't ended by a man cheating on her. She chose to leave for greener pastures.

Ryan was the backup plan, which was threatened by her newly identified enemy, Travis. Throw in some love/hate, a little splash of disgust for her current living situation and a whole lot of jealousy and you get the perfect storm!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I agree Killer needed to settle the score with Travis, and punish him in the process. That is just as obvious as the long nose on her face because if she only wanted him out of circulation she could have killed him in his sleep--it would probably have been quieter, cleaner, much less chance of evidence left behind, etc. It wasn't good enough to just take Travis out, he had to pay with more than his life--he had to suffer as he died and he had to be aware that it was HER making that happen.

And that makes my mind go to things like the need to punish other people who the killer believed had wronged her. I am not sure about Matt or Darryl...maybe/maybe not for one or both since I don't know enough about the dynamics of her relationship with either to consider how strongly she felt wronged by them, or if she even did. The women in Travis' life are a different story altogether, as I think the killer in her seriously sick mind could have blamed any or all of them for things not working out for her and Travis. She has no capacity to let things go and instead is obsessed with evening the score.

She had knives and a gun in her rental car when arrested, did she not? I mean, I heard those were found in the car--was that fact or rumor? If fact, then it stands to reason--at least for me--that she had some need for those items on her journey. If not murder, what?

It's fact! There were two knives found inside the car. At first, the cops didn't find the 9 mm gun. told Detective Flores about it as she assumed it had also been recovered. They tracked down the car and it was hidden under a wheel well. ( I haven't gotten to the place in the book where it was recovered yet. I've just read it here on WS.) I so much believe she was about to kill someone else!

I wonder how many of us got our books this week? I pre-ordered mine in November but didn't want to pay the extra postage to get it on the 16th. But I am sure happy I got it now, it is an all nighter for sure.

I got mine on Saturday evening--the Kindle version. I'm so thankful to have gotten it. JM has a great gift for writing!

I don't know if you saw my previous response to your questions about the rental car, but she had her faher pick her up at 7:30 that morning to take her to pick up the rental. I don't think the parents contributed anything other than her father giving her a ride.

I did see that (thx), but I still don't get why her father would be facilitating a 7:30 am rental so she could visit old boyfriends? They are such "enablers"! I don't understand this at all.

I never heard years, but I did hear the gun was not found right away. Knives were, though.

According to JM's book, Chapter 4

On the day of her arrest, police found in her rental car:
-3 boxes mostly filled with clothes and personal items
-2 kitchen knives in one of the boxes
-A plethora of condoms in a suitcase

Later (JM doesn't mention how much later or what location the car was in)
-a 9mm semiautomatic gun and an unloaded magazine in the trunk of the rental car

It seems obvious that she was planning to kill someone on this trip but why 3 boxes of clothing?
She told her dad she will be back in 3 days. (Flores Interview w/dad)

Re the pics of TA both shaving and posing, note that both are mirror images... taken from the mirror's perspective and not direct pics which would have shown the shower door opening on the left like it should.

TAcamerapic2.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jasonax3
Back