Prosecutors won't seek death penalty UPDATE Or will they?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the State had until 45 days prior to trial to change the DP decision.

They took it off the table and the body was found 6 days later. Amazing.

OT

Melinda Duckett lived in Orlando also - right??? Adult movies, clubbing, etc. - right? Missing child - right? I know she suicided. I haven't heard the child has been found.

I don't remember a decomposing body that had been left in the back of her trunk at any time.

OT

Melinda Duckett lived in Orlando also - right??? Adult movies, clubbing, etc. - right? Missing child - right? I know she suicided. I haven't heard the child has been found.

She lived in Lake County, City of Leesburg I think.

One of the legal experts said they would not recommend seeking the death penalty because the jury might be more inclined to find her guilty on a lesser charge so as to avoid the DP. That way she gets less than life if that happens. It would only take one or two wishy washy jurors for that to happen, the expert said.

One of the legal experts said they would not recommend seeking the death penalty because the jury might be more inclined to find her guilty on a lesser charge so as to avoid the DP. That way she gets less than life if that happens. It would only take one or two wishy washy jurors for that to happen, the expert said.

Yes, I heard the same thing.........jurors ARE more likely to convict on life without parole than the DP.......smart prosecutor! Even though I personally would like to see the DP in this case.

Ya, and also, prosecutors better get on the stick and complain about her lawyer's entertainment deals, or down the road, they can claim ineffectual counsel and have a verdict overturned and then they'd have to retrial.

Yes, I heard the same thing.........jurors ARE more likely to convict on life without parole than the DP.......smart prosecutor! Even though I personally would like to see the DP in this case.

I never thought the SA would go for the DP in this case. AS disgusted as we may be with KC, the general public does not know the details of this case. The people I speak to are sure she is too young, too pretty or too nice to have killed such a sweet child. These people are similar to those who will make up the jury pool. I think the SA is smart enough to know this.

Ya, and also, prosecutors better get on the stick and complain about her lawyer's entertainment deals, or down the road, they can claim ineffectual counsel and have a verdict overturned and then they'd have to retrial.
This is a real possibility, the thought scares me! The prosecution is on top of this, big time, at least I hope so.

I personally don't believe in the DP. For KC, it would be an easy way out. Life in prison will be much more tortorous. I won't get into a debate about the DP, but I've always thought of how I would feel if I had to be the one to administer it to someone even if they are the worst most evil person in the world. I know I would not want someone's death in my conscience. So why have it as long as it is someone else who has to carry it out? If killing is wrong, then it's wrong no matter what the circumstances are. JMVHO.

I personally don't believe in the DP. For KC, it would be an easy way out. Life in prison will be much more tortorous. I won't get into a debate about the DP, but I've always thought of how I would feel if I had to be the one to administer it to someone even if they are the worst most evil person in the world. I know I would not want someone's death in my conscience. So why have it as long as it is someone else who has to carry it out? If killing is wrong, then it's wrong no matter what the circumstances are. JMVHO.
I agree with some of your post. I do not support the DP,but I think those with LWOP would all be begging for the DP if the DP was indeed easier. I think that is rare.
I think killing in self defense is not wrong; so while I agree that most instances of killing are wrong, I understand it cannot blanket all circumstances.

I thought the State had until 45 days prior to trial to change the DP decision.

They took it off the table and the body was found 6 days later. Amazing.

I thought that the DP could be reinstated until a jury is seated. Not that I think they are going to reinstate it, I just thought that was the rule but that's off the top of my head...or I think it could be reinstated X number of days after any newly discovered evidence (like Caylee's body).

I thought that the DP could be reinstated until a jury is seated. Not that I think they are going to reinstate it, I just thought that was the rule but that's off the top of my head...or I think it could be reinstated X number of days after any newly discovered evidence (like Caylee's body).

I thought so too. Does anyone know where the information on the deadline was obtained?

It would make sense that if they can amend charges up until the jury is empaneled, they could make a final decision on the death penalty up until that time.

If it's true that KC's prints are on the duct tape, and the DP is back on the table, do you agree that a plea deal try by the defense is in order? She can have all the high profile defense experts in the world, she's caught. If anyone on the defense side has a shred of whatever-it-takes, STOP now and get a lawyer who can try to swing a deal that doesn't include the DP. My first post, my first new thread, move/delete as appropriate. I just want to know if anyone else thinks this is the route to take.

If it's true that KC's prints are on the duct tape, and the DP is back on the table, do you agree that a plea deal try by the defense is in order? She can have all the high profile defense experts in the world, she's caught. If anyone on the defense side has a shred of whatever-it-takes, STOP now and get a lawyer who can try to swing a deal that doesn't include the DP. My first post, my first new thread, move/delete as appropriate. I just want to know if anyone else thinks this is the route to take.

I agree. It is the route to take, but prosecution won't make the offer; defense must take the initiative to make a plea deal offer to the prosecution. The problem is not agreeing on the numbers or terms and conditions of the plea deal. The problem is that before JB can approach the prosecution, KC must first agree to plead guilty to some or all of the charges. KC won't do that because she believes her own propaganda. She has distorted the truth for so long, she truely believes that if she says something long and loud enough that it becomes the truth. She will simply blame her attorney if she is wrong. Her previous arguments, based on her own truths, have always simply ended when finding someone else to blame. That is a "win" to KC. However, this is a unique situation for KC where the truth will be decided by someone else and the results of that truth will not be as she expects.

1st & more important than KC - Welcome to WS. :)

2nd -that's what should happen after everything. there is zero way a Jury would not convict her with the DP as well should her prints be found on the tape.

If she pleads, what do you think she would plead, and what would she get? Does anyone know?

I guess the prosecution has to decide if the plea is even half way reasonable, like if she says now it was an accident, they're going to say no way, right? That's not even plausable. Can she plea manslaughter some kind of aggravated circumstance? Can she plea murder and temporary insanity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cecilgoodroe