Prosecutors won't seek death penalty UPDATE Or will they?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prosecutors will not seek the death penalty against the Florida mom charged with killing her 3-year-old daughter, according to court documents.

The 22-year-old mother pleaded not guilty to charges of first-degree murder, child abuse, aggravated manslaughter and four counts of lying to investigators about the disappearance of her daughter. She faces life in prison if convicted.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,462804,00.html

(They can always change their mind if a body is found before trial.)

I think the guards should get the recording of Caylee singing and while the perp is sleeping....play it every night at her cell!!!!! Although I am not sure it would make a difference????:mad:

NG is going to be a whopper tonight. She won't be able to keep the lawyers in line !

Do we know all the evidence they do have yet?

I don't think so. All we have is what has been released as discovery due to the Florida Sunshine Law (as requested by the Orlando Sentinal). Any evidence currently being investigated or tested is probably still being held close to the vest. And as political as this case has become, I'm not so sure they would release anything they didn't want to anyway. Recall during the hearing the other day when JB was complaining that he filed a motion for release of the tips that OSCO had received, and all they gave him were tips from psychics, which pissed him off, as he is SO SURE that there are real tips that they still have.

If Scott's verdict is not reversed before it goes to the Ninth Circuit Court, I certainly would expect it to be reversed there. That is not to say the Court will find there is insufficient evidence to support the charges (my favorite issue), but the lack of required inculpatory evidence would certainly allow that.

http://www.topix.com/forum/news/scott-peterson/TC7F3IOR6GAA6IQH1

There are over a dozen other significant appeal issues that will be presented on Scott's behalf.

Judge Delucchi called Scott's case an appellate attorney's petri dish. I think Scott's appeal more properly resembles a bonfide research lab that could well produce a landmark ruling.

As much as i'd love to discuss S Peterson, this is not the thread for it - and no I do not think his conviction will be overturned - and it can take a decade before the appeal is heard in CA

I'm sure there is a forum or thread for S Peterson somewhere to take that discussion there

Prosecutors will not seek the death penalty against the Florida mom charged with killing her 3-year-old daughter, according to court documents.

The 22-year-old mother pleaded not guilty to charges of first-degree murder, child abuse, aggravated manslaughter and four counts of lying to investigators about the disappearance of her daughter. She faces life in prison if convicted.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,462804,00.html

When they say Life in prison which do they mean:) Life in prison without the possibility of parole or Life in prison with possiblity of parole. Im hoping without parole myself:behindbar

:behindbar Life in general pop without being able to run into her cell every time another "inmate" comes near will be fine with me. What comes around goes around.

Do we know all the evidence they do have yet?

We almost assuredly do.

Prosecutors decided to try this case via our crimetainment media. Obviously, to poison the jury pool. If you are a prosecutor, this means that you leak your evidence -- along with the standard lies, innuendo and material falsehoods that are part of any high-profile case. Of course, LE also assists prosecutors in this regard (future favors to be returned)

When they say Life in prison which do they mean:) Life in prison without the possibility of parole or Life in prison with possiblity of parole. Im hoping without parole myself:behindbar

The Judge would specify at charging time, but I too would hope it would be LWOP !

Does anyone think the state took the death penalty off of the table in response to JB' statement:

http://www.wftv.com/news/18211831/detail.html
Since prosecutors have not ruled out the death penalty, Baez thinks it's only fair to have time to prepare to fight it. It could be an indication the defense realizes a first-degree murder conviction is possible.

Maybe the state is being fair, like JB wants it. :rolleyes:

No way. KC doesn't have a criminal record (if she does it was when she was a minor and we won't ever know). Also, the SA office is probably just thinking ahead to trial when most jurors won't impose the DP on a woman. There are SOME cases but no a lot. They do not care what JB says, does, etc.

We almost assuredly do.

Prosecutors decided to try this case via our crimetainment media. Obviously, to poison the jury pool. If you are a prosecutor, this means that you leak your evidence -- along with the standard lies, innuendo and material falsehoods that are part of any high-profile case. Of course, LE also assists prosecutors in this regard (future favors to be returned)

Hmm, that's interesting you think that. Arent the prosecutor's the ones who argued for the gag motion? I was under the impression that what was released was because of the sunshine law? And it seems to me we are missing a few key documents still that have not been released yet....I think there is more...a lot more.

We almost assuredly do.

As much as I respect your opinions and posts and enjoy reading them, I have to respectfully disagree on this one. I do not believe we know everything the SA's office has on this case.

We almost assuredly do.

No, we don't. :rolleyes: The information "leaked" was only from the preliminary reports and not from the final results. They have no choice with the Sunshine Law in Florida except to turn over much of what we have seen play out in the media. The "leaked" information would have come out sooner or later anyway. They still are holding the bulk of the case close to the vest as they do not have to release it yet.

I don't think so. All we have is what has been released as discovery due to the Florida Sunshine Law (as requested by the Orlando Sentinal). Any evidence currently being investigated or tested is probably still being held close to the vest. And as political as this case has become, I'm not so sure they would release anything they didn't want to anyway. Recall during the hearing the other day when JB was complaining that he filed a motion for release of the tips that OSCO had received, and all they gave him were tips from psychics, which pissed him off, as he is SO SURE that there are real tips that they still have.

ITA! We havent seen all the evidence and we wont. We are only seeing what they want us to see:)

As much as i'd love to discuss S Peterson, this is not the thread for it - and no I do not think his conviction will be overturned - and it can take a decade before the appeal is heard in CA

I'm sure there is a forum or thread for S Peterson somewhere to take that discussion there

You're right. There is a thread for the discussion of SP in the parking lot.

Hmm, that's interesting you think that. Arent the prosecutor's the ones who argued for the gag motion? I was under the impression that what was released was because of the sunshine law? And it seems to me we are missing a few key documents still that have not been released yet....I think there is more...a lot more.

If the prosecutors were waiting on anything in process that they deemed significant to support murder one, they would not have dropped the death penalty.

Assess whether the evidence we know of supports: planning, deliberation, intent and malice aforethought. It doesn't.

As much as I respect your opinions and posts and enjoy reading them, I have to respectfully disagree on this one. I do not believe we know everything the SA's office has on this case.

No, we don't. :rolleyes: The information "leaked" was only from the preliminary reports and not from the final results. They have no choice with the Sunshine Law in Florida except to turn over much of what we have seen play out in the media. The "leaked" information would have come out sooner or later anyway. They still are holding the bulk of the case close to the vest as they do not have to release it yet.

Agreed!!!!!!

If the prosecutors were waiting on anything in process that they deemed significant to support murder one, they would not have dropped the death penalty.

Assess whether the evidence we know of supports: planning, deliberation, intent and malice aforethought. It doesn't.

I agree on the point that if they had everything they needed right now they would not have dropped the DP, however I am not so quick to think that we will see further drops in the charges. In fact they never said they would go after the DP so nothing has been reduced yet.

Yes there is much more evidence we do not know - I talked extensivly with my Dad on all these document dumps and evidence - he said this is normal procedure especially in a case as big as this - when my Dad was in LE - the 50's to the 80's and now a PI - he said it's changed much through the years - from no DNA testing before the 90's, heck there wasn't even a fingerprint database in the 80's, it was all comparison between cities - back then evidence was not released, with so many high profile crimes and the new age of media, LE has to put certain things under lock and key to not have released

There is more waiting for trial - we'll hear it and see it then - I'm sure we'll all be saying the Ellen 'What????'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member