Queen Elizabeth II, longest-reigning British monarch, dead at 96

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My personal thanks to all the members in this thread. I recently lost my own mother (age 92) and I feel a bit lost at not being in UK today with this news. Theirs was truly a great generation where the heart and mind were willing until the very end where it was only their human bodies that failed them. :(
So sorry for your loss. It's always so difficult to lose a parent.

I know 96 is 96, but does anyone know what immediate crisis happened that caused the powers that be to know this was going to be the end for the Queen?
I feel like it was a sudden deterioration since we all saw that two days ago she welcomed the new Prime Minister.
^^rsbbm

Reportedly, the queen died peacefully Thursday afternoon and I believe we will learn that the queen died of age-related natural causes.

The Queen recovered from a bout with COVID earlier this year and was having episodic mobility issues, where each would have certainly weakened her body and organs. It's a very cruel part of aging where the heart and mind are willing but the body becomes unpredictable until it simply fails to go on.

It was the same for my mum who was active and about early in the week but passed peacefully in her sleep days later. MOO

8 Sept 2022

'HUGE SHOCK TO THE NATION'

News that the queen's health was deteriorating emerged shortly after midday on Thursday when her doctors said she was under medical supervision, prompting her family to rush to Scotland to be by her side.

The queen had been suffering from what Buckingham Palace had called "episodic mobility problems" since the end of last year, forcing her to withdraw from nearly all her public engagements. Her husband of 73 years, Prince Philip, died in 2021.

Her last public duty came only on Tuesday, when she appointed Liz Truss prime minister - the 15th of her reign.

My personal thanks to all the members in this thread. I recently lost my own mother (age 92) and I feel a bit lost at not being in UK today with this news. Theirs was truly a great generation where the heart and mind were willing until the very end where it was only their human bodies that failed them. :(
1662671646199.gif

My daughter wants to know who will be having her dogs now
While there has not been an official plan released publicly on who will care for her dogs, Seward speculated they might go to her children.

"I imagine the dogs would be looked after by the family, probably Andrew [as] he's the one that gave them to her, they're quite young, the corgi and the dorgi."

Author Penny Junor suggested the dogs may be cared for by the Queen's staff who had been integral in their care along with her.

"Care of the dogs has fallen sometimes to footmen but mostly to the Queen's trusted dressmaker, assistant and right-hand woman, Angela Kelly; and to her equally trusted page of many years standing, Paul Whybrew, who was seen walking with the Queen and the dogs in the James Bond spoof," she wrote in her 2018 book, All The Queen's Corgis.

Junor added: "Both are fond of the dogs, have unfettered access to the Queen and are said to be very close to her."

Sir Elton John has spoken out following the death of Queen Elizabeth II Thursday.

In a post shared to Instagram, John, scheduled to play the second of two Toronto shows Thursday night, said he will miss The Queen dearly.

“Along with the rest of the nation, I am saddened to hear of the news of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth’s passing. She was an inspiring presence to be around and led the country through some of our greatest and darkest moments with grace, decency and a genuine caring warmth,” he wrote.

“Queen Elizabeth has been a huge part of my life from childhood to this day, and I will miss her dearly.”

This is such sad and sudden news after seeing her welcoming smile when Liz Truss, the new PM, visited her just the other day. My condolences to all of the Royal Family, Queen Elizabeth’s subjects, and all of us around the world who loved and respected her so much.

Personally, despite growing up in the S.F. Bay Area, she has been part of my life since I watched her coronation with awe on TV at a neighbor’s house when I was seven years old. My mother read me their governess Marion Crawford’s charming book “The Little Princesses” around that time. I reread it several times myself. Because my name is Elizabeth I chose her childhood nickname Lilibet as my screen name here on WS. As Queen Elizabeth grew older, she looked so much like my mother, who died at age 92 in 2004. Unselfish duty to others was a driving force in both their lives. Queen Elizabeth inspired me to write my first poem. I was probably about eight. I only remember parts of two verses…

The Queen is good.
The Queen is fair.
The Queen is pretty everywhere.

And when the Queen is on her own
She takes her dogs out all alone…
———————-

I will certainly miss her radiant smile, her colorful outfits, her steady and calming presence in times of adversity, and her sense of humor that showed up once in awhile. Her “entrance” at the London Olympics was delightful. What an amazing woman! I’m grateful we had her with us for so long.

Just linking this to point out something. The Royal Family must carry on in the midst of grief. The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's twitter account has been updated to reflect the new title.

I'm sorry. They retweeted that. Screenshot of their account attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220908-172310_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20220908-172310_Twitter.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 21
I can only speak for myself, but I thought that the Queen's health began to deteriorate after she lost her beloved Prince Philip. Theirs was a love story for the ages, and I think the Queen missed Philip terribly. JMO
Agree. He had been by her side all those years, steadfast and loyal to a fault. Both sacrificed their own plans & ambitions & preferences to live a life of duty & service. That isn't popular these days, perhaps for good reason. But just after depression & WWII her message of service was perfect for her people. She promised them her service for life and she adhered to that religiously. I think him being by her side was a huge part of her success and the stability she provided to her subjects. I was almost surprised she lasted this long after his passing but I think she was still devoted to duty. Just like she would never quit/abdicate early with Charles taking over. She kept her vow to her people through all that transpired over the last 70 years. Amazing.

Sir Paul McCartney won a school essay contest ahead of Queen Elizabeth II’s coronation when he was 10 years old.

674D03E7-2552-412F-81C7-9E50BD29DBA1.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member