Queen Elizabeth II, longest-reigning British monarch, dead at 96

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I may have a toast to Her Majesty tonight.

Yes, definitely! She did love to drink, every day. I love it. I loved her most tramping around Balmoral in her ratty old Land Rover, Barbour jacket and hair scarf. She reportedly had a great sense of humor in private. Love the story of her meeting tourists outside Balmoral...

• Her former protection officer Richard Griffin(opens in new tab) recently shared a story about a time when the Queen ran into a group of American tourists in Balmoral who had no idea who they'd just met.
  • When the tourists asked if she had ever met the Queen, the monarch didn't miss a beat, replying that she hadn't "but this policeman has," and pointing to Griffin.
The Queen Hilariously Trolled a Group of Tourists Who Didn't Recognize Her in Balmoral

Duke of York - Andrew
Earl and Countess of Wessex - Edward and Sophie
Duke and Duchess of Sussex - Harry and Megan
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge (soon to be Prince and Princess of Wales)- William and Kate - apparently this is the gift or the reigning monarch so William and Kate are now automatically the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall.

ETA updates re William and Kate

I never realized that Kate would be Princess of Wales like Diana was. That makes me emotional. I wonder if Elton John will make another Candle In the Wind for The Queen like he did with Diana and Marylyn Monroe.

I have been thinking of a regular contributor to an ABC (Australia) radio quiz programme I listen to, he passed away awhile ago but his big passion was the Royal Family and he regularly held morning teas, afternoon teas etc at his local library, to celebrate Royal Family events.

I think he paid for it out of his pension, the food, cakes, tea etc.
He would be so sad to hear of Her Majesty's passing and no doubt would have something special planned in her memory.

If that is the case, then Queen Elizabeth II is the first monarch of the United Kingdom to die in Scotland.
Many years ago, in school a teacher discussed the naming of Charles as a gesture by the queen to her subjects in Scotland since Charles I and Charles II were of the Stewart/Stuart line.

what a difficult day. Condolences to the family, so sad we have lost our lovely Queen.

Heartened to see most websites have a banner expressing condolences. Nice touch and appreciated

lots of our staff asking what it means for us here in the U.K, I have spent the afternoon relaying the information that no, will not close for mourning, though maybe for the funeral. We will have sombre classical music on tannoy tomorrow as we did when Philip died

I will go to visit once the coffin reaches London. We will go to show our respect.

wondering if Charles will abdicate within a few years though. We need young royals at the helm I feel.

Paul McCartney
@PaulMcCartney
·
17m

God bless Queen Elizabeth II May she rest in peace Long live The King Paul McCartney
https://twitter.com/PaulMcCartney/status/1567978696988053509?s=20&t=_xu_wFkqeSFpbYBGdP2nag

I loved the story Paul McCartney shared with Gayle King during an interview celebrating the Queen's Platinum Jubilee in June 2022:

Sir Paul McCartney thought Queen Elizabeth was a “babe” the first time they met.

The Beatles legend has relived his first visit to Buckingham Palace ahead of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee to honour the 96-year-old monarch's 70-year-reign on the throne.

The 79-year-old music legend spoke to CBS's Gayle King for 'Her Majesty The Queen: A Gayle King Special' and recalled how he and his bandmates - George Harrison, John Lennon and Sir Ringo Starr - thought Her Majesty “was a good looking woman" when they received their MBEs from her in 1965.

Gayle asked: “Like a babe?", to which he responded: “Yeah, just like a babe.

“We were preteen boys in Liverpool.

“She looked like a film star to us.”

As working class boys from Liverpool, the 'Let it Be' hitmakers never thought it would be possible to meet the Queen - let alone be awarded an MBE.

He added: “No, you see we were just working class boys and she's the Queen, so there's an ocean or two between us

“So I never thought we would until we became The Beatles and we got rather famous.

“You're told not to shake her hand, you call her ‘ma'am’ not ‘your majesty’ and you know if she stops on the line and talks to you, talk to her, otherwise shut up.”

Her obituary.

From that link:

Elizabeth became the first reigning monarch to visit Australia and New Zealand. It was estimated that three-quarters of Australians turned out to see her in person.

Wow!

My personal thanks to all the members in this thread. I recently lost my own mother (age 92) and I feel a bit lost at not being in UK today with this news. Theirs was truly a great generation where the heart and mind were willing until the very end where it was only their human bodies that failed them. :(
@Seattle1 I am so sorry you lost your Mom.

My heart hurts for all the family but especially William and Harry. I am sure that Her Majesty became a second mother to them especially after Diana passed away. I know that my Nana on my mothers side was a second mom to me.

Elizabeth became the first reigning monarch to visit Australia and New Zealand. It was estimated that three-quarters of Australians turned out to see her in person.

I was one of the crowd in 1982, in my town in Central West Australia when the Queen and Prince Philip visited.

Last edited:
It is with great sadness that we learn of the passing of HM Queen Elizabeth II, a long-standing supporter of our Movement.

Her Majesty was Patron of Girlguiding UK, who shared a touching tribute about her lifelong connection to Girl Guiding and Girl Scouting around the world.

We extend our deepest sympathies to the Royal Family and to our members in all Commonwealth nations during this very sad time.

May she rest in peace.

1662673827431.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members