Queen Elizabeth II, longest-reigning British monarch, dead at 96

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So sad to hear about the Queen's passing, but not surprised. She's been looking very frail lately.

But what a wonderful, confident, strong and hard working woman. She served her country with passion, dignity and grace and I think she will be remembered as one of the most loved Royals around the world.

I hope her son Charles steps up and does justice to the crown and works to bring the BRF into a new era. It's time for changes IMO.
What do you want him to do? Curious.

At the time Archie was born, he was the great-grandchild of a sovereign, not a grandchild. But to prevent him from becoming a prince, the King would have to issue a Letters Patent amending Archie’s right to be a prince and Lili’s right to be a princess.

Asked in the Winfrey interview if Archie being a prince was important to her, Meghan had replied: “If it meant he was going to be safe, then of course.” This was said against the backdrop of extended members of the royal family not having an automatic right to police security.

75E49EC4-CD81-4486-978A-E1AF03E9D0F5.jpeg
In Memoriam of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II - 1926 to 2022. Thank you for your lifetime of public service Ma’am. May Her Majesty The Queen Rest In Peace.

I am so sorry that Her Majesty The Queen has passed away. The entire Royal Family are in my thoughts and prayers. On Her Majesty’s 21st birthday in 1947 she famously said in her speech "I declare before you that my whole life, whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service, and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong," the 21-year-old Elizabeth Alexandra Mary then said.” Her Majesty kept her promise and I am sure her late Father King George VI and her late Mother, The Queen Mother, would be incredibly proud of how devoted their daughter was to her country and who she was as a person.

I greatly admire Her Majesty The Queen, it is remarkable she did 21,000 official engagements in her lifetime. Even in 2021 during the pandemic, when she was age 95, Her Majesty was still able to do 184 engagements. And Her Majesty carried on doing official engagements right up until the very end of her life, when she welcomed our new Prime Minister just a few days ago. There will never be another Lady like Her Majesty, she will be greatly missed by so many people all over the world and she will never be forgotten.

I live in Scotland and I want to say a big thank you to all of you around the world for your condolences to the Royal Family and your extremely kind tributes to Her Majesty The Queen.

Remember when Helen Mirren played the queen in a TV series and a movie? Having studied the queen so she could play the part as closely as possible. And was appointed a Dame in 2003, at Buckingham Palace.

" .... the Oscar-winning British star wrote: 'I am proud to be an Elizabethan. We mourn a woman, who, with or without the crown, was the epitome of nobility.'

Who knew all the secret signals of her handbag?! :)

"The bag was normally draped from her left arm, but the Queen switched the bag to her right to summon staff to the rescue when she tired of a conversation, according to royal historian Hugo Vickers.

If she was sitting down, the handbag went on the floor.

But if she moved it to the table, she was bored and wanted to be extricated by her lady-in-waiting. Discreetly, of course. And if she wanted an urgent exit, she needed merely to twist her wedding ring and staff ensured the tedious meeting was over quick smart."

So sorry to hear about your mum.

My mum was the same age as the queen - though we lost mum many years ago - and being a Brit she loved the queen.

We were raised in a family that taught us a great respect for the queen. Mum always said that she was a wonderful monarch ... right from the young age of 25 when she was crowned. The mountain of responsibilities that were heaped on her at that age, and she always carried out her duties with the greatest of dignity and grace.

At times like this, we think of our mums.

"This is a loss we feel deeply in Australia." Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has described Queen Elizabeth II as a "wise and encouraging guide" in the wake of her death.
"Grief is the price we pay for love"
9 News Australia
I too, lost my dear Scottish mother recently at age 94. She was very proper and loved Her Majesty the Queen. We would gossip about them all. Have the wedding plates.

I have massive appreciation for the duty Her Majesty was fulfilling up until her last day at her age. In her last photo, she even gives us a lovely smile, as if she is thinking of all of us.

I'm back to tears again. Time to look at some of those wonderful old photograph

But Queen Elizabeth II appeared on money more than any other person in history.

So interesting.

I've also always heard she is the most photographed person in history.
A combination of being a famous royal from birth, heir to the throne when her father suddenly became king, living a LONG life, and of course her entire lifespan being lived when photography was already invented, unlike monarchs from earlier eras.

My sincere condolences to all my WS friends here, for whom Elizabeth was your monarch. As an American I had respect for her sense of duty, and sorrow that her later years were marred by a rift in the family.

Last edited:
I never realized that Kate would be Princess of Wales like Diana was. That makes me emotional. I wonder if Elton John will make another Candle In the Wind for The Queen like he did with Diana and Marylyn Monroe.
It would not fit. Candle in the Wind is about dying too early which applied to both Marilyn and Diana. I would not be at all surprised to see Elton playing a special song at her funeral though.

I too, lost my dear Scottish mother recently at age 94. She was very proper and loved Her Majesty the Queen. We would gossip about them all. Have the wedding plates.

I have massive appreciation for the duty Her Majesty was fulfilling up until her last day at her age. In her last photo, she even gives us a lovely smile, as if she is thinking of all of us.

I'm back to tears again. Time to look at some of those wonderful old photograph
Hugs @Herat. Such memories to treasure.

My own grandmother lived with me during my adult life, until she passed at age 97. Like your mum, always proper, always dressed nicely, even on a small, fixed income. Her own mother was British, so she loved the Queen and The Royal Family. I still have a souvenir pin and earrings she had sent over to her from the Coronation. We ate scones, drank tea, and watched Charles and Diana’s wedding together. We woke up in the wee hours and held one another and cried through Diana’s funeral.

Ok, enough from me.
But you and I share similar beautiful memories.

And now some tears.

View attachment 365227
In Memoriam of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II - 1926 to 2022. Thank you for your lifetime of public service Ma’am. May Her Majesty The Queen Rest In Peace.

I am so sorry that Her Majesty The Queen has passed away. The entire Royal Family are in my thoughts and prayers. On Her Majesty’s 21st birthday in 1947 she famously said in her speech "I declare before you that my whole life, whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service, and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong," the 21-year-old Elizabeth Alexandra Mary then said.” Her Majesty kept her promise and I am sure her late Father King George VI and her late Mother, The Queen Mother, would be incredibly proud of how devoted their daughter was to her country and who she was as a person.

I greatly admire Her Majesty The Queen, it is remarkable she did 21,000 official engagements in her lifetime. Even in 2021 during the pandemic, when she was age 95, Her Majesty was still able to do 184 engagements. And Her Majesty carried on doing official engagements right up until the very end of her life, when she welcomed our new Prime Minister just a few days ago. There will never be another Lady like Her Majesty, she will be greatly missed by so many people all over the world and she will never be forgotten.

I live in Scotland and I want to say a big thank you to all of you around the world for your condolences to the Royal Family and your extremely kind tributes to Her Majesty The Queen.

Hello gregrichards

Thank you for posting these lovely photographs of this incredible wonderful woman. I cry with each one, but I love to see the smile the fun, the real person that the world was able to enjoy for so very long.

The most remarkable woman in the world.

I didn't expect to be so affected by this, yet, even though we've all known it must come sometime, it's really saddened me tonight. I think because she's been there in the background of our lives for so long, so many of us never knew a time without her on the throne - my late father was a toddler when she was crowned, the rest of my parents' generation in my family not even born, and I was born well after her silver jubilee, never imagining when as a child learning about Queen Victoria's long reign, that Elizabeth would outlive that by some way. Suddenly hearing references to "the King" feels so incongruous and just wrong... I imagine we'll get used to it in time but it's a shock, it's like a part of the world turned upside down.

And she was a great lady as well, not just long-lived but respected, she really lived up to the often-repeated quote where she said she'd serve the country for her whole life, long or short - I doubt we'll see another person like her, she really did put the country first, even down to still being there to confirm our new prime minister just two days ago. It really is the end of an era.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14