Queen Elizabeth II, longest-reigning British monarch, dead at 96

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

What started as a quirky tribute to the Queen has quickly gone on the nose for groundskeepers.

While many mourners have opted to leave flowers or cards, a growing number have opted for a more unusual token: the humble marmalade sandwich.

The tasty snack is a nod to a recent sketch the late monarch appeared in alongside the very British icon Paddington Bear, in which the pair enjoyed tea and sandwiches to mark her Platinum Jubilee.

However the sheer number of sandwiches being left – the majority encased in plastic wrap, has led staff at Green Park to plead with the public to look for an alternative tribute.

Tens of thousands of tributes have been left at the Royal Park in Westminster, a designated tribute site – many wrapped in plastic. Leaving the royal gardeners 'overwhelmed' as they're left to sift through and remove any packaging, as well as soft toys, candles and other trinkets.

Um...they had years to prepare for this. They knew in detail from past deaths what the tribute sites would have and look like.
And they are all shocked and overwhelmed now? That's not even funny.

My guess is that even though the plans have been in the works for decades, marmalade sandwiches only factored in recently, after the Queen did her spoof with Paddington Bear in which she drew a marmalade sandwich from her famous black handbag. So as @TootsieFootsie said, this would be a recent phenomenon that I don't think was expected in the long-laid plans.

I can see how it would create a problem for the gardeners and other staff.

Jmo

Really?? The optics of this is devastating. Twitter is on fire now because of his brass conduct. Watch the clip, even Camilla is embarrassed...
The embarrassment was not for the King, but for the staff member who did not properly do the job of clearing the desk. imo.

The embarrassment was not for the King, but for the staff member who did not properly do the job of clearing the desk. imo.

I agree. The table was far too small for the documents and ink wells. I imagine Charle's was concerned about spilling ink or knocking something on the floor.

I imagine he was also in a highly emotional state after losing his mother and becoming King.

I think some people on Twitter and trying to find anything they can to belittle him.

I agree. The table was far too small for the documents and ink wells. I imagine Charle's was concerned about spilling ink or knocking something on the floor.

I imagine he was also in a highly emotional state after losing his mother and becoming King.

I think some people on Twitter and trying to find anything they can to belittle him.

William managed just fine though and that’s the whole point. It was completely rude and very ill mannered. It’s already showing the difference in how he treats people he considers Beneath him.

Last edited:
Its 7pm here in Scotland(mon) . I watched in awe and pride yesterday and today at the events unfolding here in Edinburgh. I'm also glad folk around the world got to see the natural beauty and rich history of Scotland . Which the late Queen Elizabeth ll enjoyed so much and ultimately passed away peacefully here .
Scotland is very much part of the UK . The late queen was the head of the church of Scotland and now King Charles takes on that title . Defender of the faith . I'm a proud Scot but also proud to be part of the UK.
I'm watching live as the 4 siblings take their place in St Giles round the coffin and strangely feel like I'm intruding on a personal family moment . As the Queen goes on her final journey back down south tommorow , Edinburgh and indeed Scotland will be immensely proud she got to spend final hours here . Today I have never felt my loyalty and faith in the monarchy more .

Its 7pm here in Scotland(mon) . I watched in awe and pride yesterday and today at the events unfolding here in Edinburgh. I'm also glad folk around the world got to see the natural beauty and rich history of Scotland . Which the late Queen Elizabeth ll enjoyed so much and ultimately passed away peacefully here .
Scotland is very much part of the UK . The late queen was the head of the church of Scotland and now King Charles takes on that title . Defender of the faith . I'm a proud Scot but also proud to be part of the UK.
I'm watching live as the 4 siblings take their place in St Giles round the coffin and strangely feel like I'm intruding on a personal family moment . As the Queen goes on her final journey back down south tommorow , Edinburgh and indeed Scotland will be immensely proud she got to spend final hours here . Today I have never felt my loyalty and faith in the monarchy more .

The views of your country from the helicopter as it followed Queen Elizabeth yesterday were stunning.

No matter your stance on the British Royal family, I’m sure almost everyone felt emotional seeing all 4 of the Queen’s children stood around her coffin just then. Our new King Charles looked like he might break down at any moment, his face was full of heartbreak.

All 4 of them are so dignified and respectful. I don’t usually get emotional but I did have a lump in my throat just seeing the look on Charles’ face it was heart breaking. It just goes to show how devestating it is for anyone of any age to lose a parent, but to have the whole world watching you grieve and having to go through the rituals and process of becoming king aswell must be so difficult and remaining so brave throughout is remarkable.
The Queen would be so so proud of her children.

St. Giles cathedral is beautiful. I am so amazed by places in UK, it was built in 1124. Amazing.

So much history. The oldest building in my town, dates back to 1865. Not even a blip.

I felt sorry for Prince Andrew, he was very close to his mother. Following the hearse must have been difficult for him.

Whether we are British or not, or believe in the Monarchy, Queen Elizabeth II, was amazing. The History in her life, and her part in history is profound.

I think people are imagining that the person being irritably hand waved at is some poor oppressed servant, like Charles is doing a royal version of being rude to the waitress.

It's more likely to be Lord Snootypants, 12th Viscount of Whatnot and Master of the Inkwell. He had ONE job, no wonder Charles is annoyed.

I think people are imagining that the person being irritably hand waved at is some poor oppressed servant, like Charles is doing a royal version of being rude to the waitress.

It's more likely to be Lord Snootypants, 12th Viscount of Whatnot and Master of the Inkwell. He had ONE job, no wonder Charles is annoyed.
Lol. ita!!

Really?? The optics of this is devastating. Twitter is on fire now because of his brass conduct. Watch the clip, even Camilla is embarrassed...
Respectfully disagree.

In 4 days, a man has sat by his mother's side as she breathed her last breath. Let's not mention she was the Queen of England. No doubt had to emotionally deal with his youngest son, in whatever form that took. Became the King of England. Has taken zero time away to mourn because well . . . royal family. I barely handled my father's death and I'm a nobody from rural Indiana in context of the world stage. I'm surprised people are being so judgmental over an ink pot. On second thought, I'm not surprised. :)

JMO

In these moments, the complete hilarious picture in my head, of "Lord Snootypants, 12th Viscount of Whatnot and Master of the Inkwell" is complete with pre-colonial white and gold garb, and the white curled whig on his balding head. He is ever so clumsily trying to gracefully bow before the King...and has much difficulty with his waiving curling hand gestures. HAHAHAHA!!

Thanks Cap!

King Charles will have to learn the queen's glacial stare. The withering look she gave to people when she was annoyed.
Maybe that look would fly under the radar and not end up being a twitter event.

“.... there’s a withering look, and it looks you up and down, and it was terrifying when it first happened to me”
“The silent reprimand can be triggered by incompetence or else by overfamiliarity.”
“Most know that there are two hazards to be avoided when meeting with the boss: ‘The line’ and ‘the look,’” Hardman writes. “You do not want to cross the former or receive the latter.”

William managed just fine though and that’s the whole point. It was completely rude and very ill mannered. It’s already showing the difference in how he treats people he considers Beneath him.

I don't think it was a good look for him but I'm prepared to chalk it up to stress until I see otherwise. I would think he would have sufficient experience with unexpected moments but it was an unexpected moment at a historically critical event.

It is my understanding that his sons had gifted him the inkpot and pen, which strikes me as the perfect gift but I also have a feeling that nobody wanted to intrude on Charle's moment and didn't really feel comfortable rushing up to take a gift from his sons nor did they want to spoil is moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Megan phillips lynch