Random things about this case...

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The big problem here is the FOIA case (brought by an attorney, KS, representing JMB and PH). When the judge (not Burnett) ruled that JMB and PH could not have access to their children's possessions, it was a tacit admission that the case is not truly closed. The district prosecutor, SE, agreed during the Clinton School Q & A after the Alford pleas to consider any new information sent to him by the defense team. Although some additional information has been sent, SE has done nothing with it. IMO, this means either that he didn't consider it "compelling" (a judgement call) or he is suppressing the import of such information. However, IMO, it is true that any reopening of this case must come from the State of Arkansas. The Alford pleas were a type of guilty plea, and, as such, the defendants can't appeal, except for insufficient counsel. That's why I've repeatedly said that the solution lies with pressuring the State of Arkansas to correct this miscarriage of justice. We can continue to examine this case and comment on it, but any movement toward justice must originate with the State of Arkansas. With the recent change in political party at the top (governor and attorney general), I do have some hope for success. That's why I continue to read and discuss this case. I want justice, and justice hasn't been served!

CR, you and I, and a few others, are sitting in the same boat called "hope". IMO the Alford plea is pure nonsense and should be revised, or abolished. If you take the WM3 case as an example of how it works, it just "undermines the credibility of the justice system", as the author expressed. Presuming the WM3 are innocent, which I do, and you consider the four main parties in this case (the wrongly convicted, the victims, the real perpetrator/s, and the state of Arkansas as the legislative), the Alford plea defeats the main objectives of the justice system, the main objectives being that the "morally blameworthy" are punished, and the victims are in some way served justice.

In this case the only parties that profit from the "deal" are the wrongly convicted (ha, ha) and the state of Arkansas, who do not burden any responsibility for the wrong convictions, either financially, or legally. To put the icing on the cake, the case is more or less closed, leaving the real killer/s without punishment, and the victims without a single ounce of justice. If there is no back door left open for future developments and a possible reopening of the case, the Alford plea appears to bear more attributes of anarchy, than of a legal settlement. JMO.

I'm no fan of the Alford plea, either. It seems to me that, once it was used in this case, floodgates were opened. I've heard it being used in numerous cases since this one. It could be that I wasn't attuned to knowing what it was, until this case. I agree that it is certainly less than justice. I've asked, as have others, countless times if there is any other case where someone was released from Death Row on an Alford plea. I've never gotten a response. I also question the post-conviction use of the Alford plea. I think it has been used post-conviction before - but not in a murder case! Generally speaking, a plea is done before the trial, not after a conviction There are just so many injustices in this case that it drives me crazy!

Hello Cher! This case is a prime example of why the Alford plea does not truly work. In order to be released from being wrongfully imprisoned, three young men had to claim guilt. Guilt in which they had no part, and thereby releasing the state from all indemnity and responsibility to find the truth. Alford closes the case, making it extremely difficult to re-open. It is my opinion that even should the true murderer step up and take responsibility by means of a clear, concise and complete confession, the state of Arkansas would throw it out and refuse to consider it because "the guilty parties already confessed in court." Judge Laser is the only straight shooter of the entire case, and if he were involved, there might be a slight chance something could get done, but I fear it would be at the cost of his career.

CR, GK, the way this case went from beginning to end, if the Alford plea was the end, it could be seen as a fitting end, a farce of undreamt magnitude.

“I don't know. They were generally consistent, but specifically, they weren't. I don't know.”

What does this even mean? This was Fogelman's response to being questioned about JM confessions. How can something be 'generally consistent' but not 'specifically'? Is he trying to say that the only thing JM got right in the so called confession was that 3 little boys were murdered? And yet he sought the death penalty for 2 teenagers, obtaining it for 1, off of that 'generally consistent,' but specifically inconsistent confession. SMH

IMO, JF knew DE, JB and JM were innocent. He successfully prosecuted the case and was "rewarded" with a judgeship! He is so circumspect in his statements in West of Memphis that I just know he's hiding something - GG, too! Just one of the multitude of infuriating things about this case. I hate politics - especially when they lead to a miscarriage of justice!

This is about a case of a coerced confession that was not so easy to unravel. However justice was restored in 2010, thanks to DNA that eventually lead to the real murderer. The difficult circumstances that led to this conviction, show that it is possible that the authorities can make mistakes that are in a way understandable or reasonable.

IMO. it also quite clearly shows the thin line between a coerced confession that could be seen as solid, and a coerced confession that is so ludicrously instable, as that of JMK. There are many congruities to the WM3 case in a strange sense, and after reading about this, the question remains, why are the authorities in AR so adamant on continuing to make complete jack-asses of themselves.

This is the story about Jerry Hobbs, yes no spelling mistake. Jerry Hobbs was convicted for killing his 8 year old daughter and her 9 year old friend on May the 8th 2005 in the so called "Zion Murders". One eerie thing I'd like to point out is how often children are murdered in the month of May. His background was not that of an angel, his confession was plausible. The bodies were found at the site where they were murdered, along with their bikes. The police described the murder scene as "staged", where IMO the word "prepared" fits better. I read about this case a few years ago, however I did not know the end of the story at that time. The little girls were stabbed and beaten to death, and their bodies laid next to each other, along with their bikes.

The stabbing and beating of the girls is something that is often seen in battered child filicide, but the preparing of the bodies was more than unusual. Jerry Hobbs confession sounded plausible as I mentioned, saying that he killed his daughter because she refused to come home, and that he was so angry that he killed her friend too.

From the beginning, his wife and his father-in-law, thought he was innocent even though he had confessed. You can read how the story ended here:

http://murderpedia.org/male.H/h/hobbs-jerry.htm

http://truth-out.org/archive/compon...exoneration-the-case-of-exmonster-jerry-hobbs

Oh, wow! Thanks for sharing, CL. What an interesting case!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back