Rape allegations mount against Bill Cosby #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to mods for changing thread title to reflect gravity of situation.

EXCLUSIVE: Dominique Sharpton, daughter of Rev. Al Sharpton, firmly supports Bill Cosby through sexual assault allegations
Cosby was Dominique’s mentor at Temple University, where he served as a board member and encouraged her career in the arts. She and her dad have reached out to the embattled entertainer since the scandal broke that has shattered his reputation.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...-firmly-supports-bill-cosby-article-1.2052050

Well I don't know either but it occurs to me that attacking Al Sharpton's daughter, of all people, might have been a very stupid move.

What an illogical defence - "if he never assaulted me, he never assaulted anyone else".
Imo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All of this leaves me to wonder -- Just MOO -- what really happened when Lisa Bonet left Cosby? The story we heard at the time was Cosby was reportedly very upset about Bonet's movie w/ Mickey Rourke (Angel Heart) and her Playboy mag spread. His reasoning was she was not portraying the wholesomeness and values that The Cosby Show was known for.

I find it ironic that he continually pushed her out of the business (she also left the spinoff A Different World) because of what he deemed her rebelliousness, but I have to admit, since this has come to light I have to wonder what really happened with he and Bonet. She's not talking, so we may never know.

Yes, Bonet's appearance in Playboy was unwholesome but BC's regular attendance at the Playboy mansion (and nonstop marital infidelity) was not. What a hypocrite.

What an illogical defence - "if he never assaulted me, he never assaulted anyone else".
Imo

Has he ever mentored any young men who want to make it in the arts? You know, to encourage learning and help people achieve their dreams through education and developing their acting skills and other lofty goals like that? IIRC I've only heard of young female mentorees

Of all these accusations only one claims she was actually sexually assaulted. I still think this is smoke from smoke.

I'm not sure where you're getting that idea. Do you actually read any of the articles posted here??

Here is a repost of the Slate article listing the accusers. It is almost up to date, except for the more recent accusations. I would love to know, in your world, which of these accusations you would classify as sexual assault?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat...lt_rape_drugs_feature_in_women_s_stories.html

I watched the show as a kid and never particularly cared for BC or adults on the show, but thought Lisa Bonet/her character was so cool (and think she still is) and remember her abrupt departure. Maybe because I liked her character so much it, but it seemed like a really awkward departure Idk.

We still haven't heard from anyone from "The Cosby Show" and I respect that. There could be so many reasons for them not to publicly speak. God forbid, hypothetically speaking, if BC tried anything on the actress(es) on the show, it would be awful to have to work with him day in and day out. Can't imagine that, it would be akin to torture jmo.

The concerns/questions in my mind about Bonet's exit from both shows have left me feeling very uneasy for her. She fits the physical profile of his alleged victims. Young, extremely beautiful, and in the Hollywood circle in one way or the other. Yes, her exit seemed hasty and with all these women coming out, I fear Lisa was either a victim of his or almost became one. Just MOO of course.

EXCLUSIVE: Dominique Sharpton, daughter of Rev. Al Sharpton, firmly supports Bill Cosby through sexual assault allegations
Cosby was Dominique’s mentor at Temple University, where he served as a board member and encouraged her career in the arts. She and her dad have reached out to the embattled entertainer since the scandal broke that has shattered his reputation.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...-firmly-supports-bill-cosby-article-1.2052050

Well I don't know either but it occurs to me that attacking Al Sharpton's daughter, of all people, might have been a very stupid move.

And this may or may not be relevant:

In the late 1980s, Cosby inserted himself into the case of Tawana Brawley, a black teenage girl who said she was sexually assaulted by six white men, including a police officer and an assistant district attorney. Cosby pledged his public support to her and contributed to a $25,000 reward for information in the case.

"Bill and I don't care who the perpetrators are, whether they're black, white, pink, yellow or family. They should be caught," Essence magazine publisher Edward Lewis, who also contributed to the reward, told People at the time.

A grand jury later found insufficient evidence of a rape, and Brawley and her advisers -- including Rev. Al Sharpton, who was thrust into the spotlight -- were successfully sued for defamation. The incident inflamed racial tension nationwide.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/bill-cosby-breaks-silence-trayvon-martin/story?id=16102168

Friends baffled as Camille Cosby stands by Bill amid scandal
By Stacy Brown
December 20, 2014 | 9:32pm
http://pagesix.com/2014/12/20/friends-baffled-as-camille-cosby-stands-by-bill-amid-scandal/

"The friend described Camille as always having “a quiet firmness...I know that in speaking with her — and we’re usually honest with each other — she seems to believe that the women will be exposed eventually so it’s best not to say anything,” she says. "But maybe the eventuality of her husband being exposed has arrived.”"

(*This article is somewhat off-putting to me, because there is a religious figure who comments in it, and somehow it doesn't seem appropriate in these types of case(s); (speaking as a Catholic here). Jmo and not exactly sure why off-putting to me, but an interesting read nonetheless.
In this article the priest says (it was his impression that) Camille’s mother really didn’t want her to marry Bill. If true, it would be interesting to know why that was. A mother’s intuition is often a good barometer.

Also in the article a friend indicates that Camille stated, “I think his problem is that he’s far too trusting and he lets things go too far and people can get the wrong idea.” I wonder if going too far includes pharmaceuticals. And if so, whose idea would be wrong?

I watched the show as a kid and never particularly cared for BC or adults on the show, but thought Lisa Bonet/her character was so cool (and think she still is) and remember her abrupt departure. Maybe because I liked her character so much it, but it seemed like a really awkward departure Idk.

We still haven't heard from anyone from "The Cosby Show" and I respect that. There could be so many reasons for them not to publicly speak. God forbid, hypothetically speaking, if BC tried anything on the actress(es) on the show, it would be awful to have to work with him day in and day out. Can't imagine that, it would be akin to torture jmo.

BBM

Producers and at least one cast member - Tom Werner and Marcy Carsey, and Raven Symone - have previously commented on the allegations. http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity...ill-cosby-rape-allegations-statement-20142211.

In this article the priest says (it was his impression that) Camille’s mother really didn’t want her to marry Bill. If true, it would be interesting to know why that was. A mother’s intuition is often a good barometer.

Also in the article a friend indicates that Camille stated, “I think his problem is that he’s far too trusting and he lets things go too far and people can get the wrong idea.” I wonder if going too far includes pharmaceuticals. And if so, whose idea would be wrong?

BBM I can think of several reasons. She was 19, he was 26. She was well educated, he was a college dropout. He had no job to speak of, being a comedian and in "show business". Most likely he was a far cry from her parents' expectations for a future son-in-law.

BBM

Producers and at least one cast member - Tom Werner and Marcy Carsey, and Raven Symone - have previously commented on the allegations. http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity...ill-cosby-rape-allegations-statement-20142211.

Thanks for the correction, La Louve. If Raven Symone spoke about this, then my guess is there is nothing preventing the other cast member(s) from doing so other than it's their choice not to comment, but idk could be wrong. Regardless, I respect cast member(s) decisions to speak or remain silent on the matter, allegations are not about any of them anyway/jmo

BBM I can think of several reasons. She was 19, he was 26. She was well educated, he was a college dropout. He had no job to speak of, being a comedian and in "show business". Most likely he was a far cry from her parents' expectations for a future son-in-law.

Yes, there could have been plenty of innocuous reasons. Or mom could have had a funny feeling about him, apart from or on top of other reasons. No way to know.

In school, Cosby was bright but unmotivated. He liked to tell stories and jokes to his classmates more than he liked to do his schoolwork. One of his teachers encouraged him to put his performing talents to use in school plays, not in her classroom. At home, Cosby listened to a variety of radio programs and started imitating such comedians as Jerry Lewis. He also watched such television performers as Sid Caesar and Jack Benny whenever he could.

While he was more interested in sports than academics—he was active on his school's track and football teams—Cosby was placed in a high school for gifted students after scoring high on an IQ test. But Cosby failed to apply himself, and ended up falling behind in his classes. He switched to Germantown High School, and even there he learned that he would have to repeat a grade. In frustration, Cosby dropped out of high school. He worked several odd jobs before joining the U.S. Navy in 1956
http://www.biography.com/people/bill-cosby-9258468#background

I don't know, it just sticks in my craw that a person who couldn't be bothered with school lectures that black kids are bad if they can't be bothered with school

All of this leaves me to wonder -- Just MOO -- what really happened when Lisa Bonet left Cosby? The story we heard at the time was Cosby was reportedly very upset about Bonet's movie w/ Mickey Rourke (Angel Heart) and her Playboy mag spread. His reasoning was she was not portraying the wholesomeness and values that The Cosby Show was known for.

I find it ironic that he continually pushed her out of the business (she also left the spinoff A Different World) because of what he deemed her rebelliousness, but I have to admit, since this has come to light I have to wonder what really happened with he and Bonet. She's not talking, so we may never know.

She left because she was having a baby with Lenny Kravitz. Nothing happened at all and she has said as much.

She left because she was having a baby with Lenny Kravitz. Nothing happened at all and she has said as much.

Link(s) please, I seem to remember a bit of negativity surrounding Lisa Bonet leaving show and it was a bit mean-spirited imo; and also hadn't realized she made public comment(s) on BC allegations.

According to Wikipedia, FWIW:

After being in beauty pageants and appearing in guest spots on television series as a child, Bonet landed the role of Denise Huxtable on The Cosby Show alongside Bill Cosby and Phylicia Rashād. In 1987, she briefly left The Cosby Show to star in the spin-off series A Different World, which focused on Denise Huxtable's life at college. That year, Bonet, then 19, accepted the role of 17-year-old Epiphany Proudfoot in the movie Angel Heart opposite Mickey Rourke, directed by Alan Parker. In the film, several seconds of an explicit scene she shared with Rourke's much older character were edited to ensure an R-rating.[8] It was followed by a topless centerspread in Interview magazine.[9] After announcing her pregnancy during the run of A Different World, Bonet left the series.[10] The following year, she returned to The Cosby Show, but was fired in 1991 because of "creative differences".[11]

The only comment I've seen:
"Lisa Bonet has no social media of any kind," her manager tells PEOPLE. "Any posts made in her name were made by impersonators with unverified accounts. She also has no comment on the ongoing story.
"
http://www.people.com/article/lisa-bonet-denies-slamming-bill-cosby-twitter

If BC made any inappropriate gestures towards her she does not seem willing to talk about it in the press.

Co-stars might have a conflict of interest if the loss of Bill Cosby's reputation means the reruns of the Cosby Show get canceled and they lose income...?

Well it's hard for me to imagine any genuine misunderstanding that would result in a man without pants and a woman losing her memory for two days but if that is Cosby's spin on this it seems like he's admitting he knows these women and spent time with them?

I think you are confusing her with Raven Symone. If not, I agree with Birdycat, please provide a link for Lisa Bonet saying this.

Imo

True, but how else can one speak up for a friend? Unless you are an alibi witness, the best you can say is "I never saw that side of him."

If it were my friend, I'd feel obligated to say that much on his behalf.

True, but how else can one speak up for a friend? Unless you are an alibi witness, the best you can say is "I never saw that side of him."

If it were my friend, I'd feel obligated to say that much on his behalf.

After that many allegations, I wouldn't. Not unless asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member