Rape allegations mount against Bill Cosby #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure the rapist would appreciate getting back loads of money.

Did they give him back all his donation money as well? Now I understand why they are furious. But don't take back the honory but not give back all the money which he donated through out the years.

You can't disassociate your school from him without saying that we will return all money which was donated by the rapist. Jmo

BBM for focus.

Why not?

It's not like returning a product. If you buy a TV and the seller wants it back you should get your money back. But Cosby didn't just buy a honorary degree that he should get his money back. He bought accolades and speeches in his honor and opportunities to tout his opinions, tax breaks, leghumpers, more honors from more universities, loads and loads of reputation points that allowed him to bask on the reputation for being a philantrope and education lover and social activist. That reputation was greatly useful to him because it helped him get away with multiple rapes and sexual assaults over the years.

I'd say he got his money worth of good PR even if they want their framed A4 back now.

It's not like returning a product. If you buy a TV and the seller wants it back you should get your money back. But Cosby didn't just buy a honorary degree that he should get his money back. He bought accolades and speeches in his honor and opportunities to tout his opinions, tax breaks, leghumpers, more honors from more universities, loads and loads of reputation points that allowed him to bask on the reputation for being a philantrope and education lover and social activist. That reputation was greatly useful to him because it helped him get away with multiple rapes and sexual assaults over the years.

I'd say he got his money worth of good PR even if they want their framed A4 back now.

The article linked below discusses Cosby and his honorary degrees. I was surprised to learn that he had collected almost 60 of them! Guess he loved going from college to college, wearing cool sunglasses and scholarly robes, giving speeches of wisdom to his captive audiences.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/07/a...-cosby-honors-face-a-tough-question.html?_r=0

Bill Cosby thanked Eddie Murphy back in February for refusing SNL but now he's all, Et tu Eddie...

Murphy opened his first stand-up set in 28 years with an impression of Bill Cosby, whom he refused to play on "Saturday Night Live's" 40th anniversary show.

While accepting the honor, Murphy riffed on the award, which Cosby won in 2009.

"Bill has one of these," Murphy said, looking at the miniature bust of Twain.

"Did you all make Bill give his back?" he asked, referring to alleged efforts by some to have Cosby return his trophy. "You know you f--ed up when they want you to give your trophies back."

http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/...osby-while-accepting-mark-twain-prize-n447471
http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/bill-cosby-eddie-murphy-snl-celebrity-jeopardy-1201437078/

I'm sure the rapist would appreciate getting back loads of money.

Actually, I'll disagree with you a bit on this one. The rapist used those donations to receive tax breaks from the IRS. So, in my totally non accountant way of thinking (seriously, I had to withdraw from an accounting course in university because I just didn't get how they made the numbers do what they did), the return of the money would mean that the deductions no longer applied, and that he would have to pay not only taxes owing on the returned money but the increased taxes on the money he earned to which the deductions had been applied.

My guess is that BC, CC, and their enablers would rather leave the financial boat to float as it has all these years.

Bottom line. If you disassociate your school with the man because he turned out to be exposed as a serial rapist then that's okay. But once you also take back something from him then you should be willing to give back everything which he has giving.

That is the only professional way to cut ties and say that we will not be bought nor be supported by a serial rapist so please take your money back.

Btw. Politicians usually do this when their donors are outted as being bad. They cut them back their money so there are no ties. Jmo.

An upstanding university should have no problem saying here goes your money and there goes the door. Now of course they don't have to. But it would be hypocritical of them from a professional point of view if they didn't. Jmo

Bottom line. If you disassociate your school with the man because he turned out to be exposed as a serial rapist then that's okay. But once you also take back something from him then you should be willing to give back everything which he has giving.

That is the only professional way to cut ties and say that we will not be bought nor be supported by a serial rapist so please take your money back.

Btw. Politicians usually do this when their donors are outted as being bad. They cut them back their money so there are no ties. Jmo.

An upstanding university should have no problem saying here goes your money and there goes the door. Now of course they don't have to. But it would be hypocritical of them from a professional point of view if they didn't. Jmo

I would like to seem them all give the money back, but I can also see how that makes it very clear people buy honorary degrees with donations. We all know this, sure, but the schools don't want it to be too obvious. Some of the schools he gave money to are not rich though. They'd need to solicit donations to refund the money.

If someone made a huge donation, didn't get an honorary degree but was later convicted of a crime, would or should the university refund the donation? When regular people have their degrees taken away for whatever reason, do they get their tuition back?

JMO.

So we're saying that if you're a serial rapist you should not be allowed to support any good cause monetarily and punishing the students of these universities would be the only professional and just course of action?

I'm pretty sure that these universities don't have that donation money just lying around ready to give back, it's been used for this and that, and if they had to scramble and save to find the loose change it's the current students who had nothing to do with Cosby's rapes who would suffer.

I would like to seem them all give the money back, but I can also see how that makes it very clear people buy honorary degrees with donations. We all know this, sure, but the schools don't want it to be too obvious. Some of the schools he gave money to are not rich though. They'd need to solicit donations to refund the money.

If someone made a huge donation, didn't get an honorary degree but was later convicted of a crime, would or should the university refund the donation? When regular people have their degrees taken away for whatever reason, do they get their tuition back?

JMO.

Idk. Good point. But they shouldn't say we are separating all ties without giving that man back his donations. That is not completely separating all ties when you keep the money. That is just publicly spitting in his face while enjoying the fruits that he has given. Jmo

I see your point...

But then... They were giving BC honorary degrees under false pretenses...(on the part of BC)...

so there is the conundrum of giving back money possibly already spent... To a possible criminal...who had defrauded them... And was in no way professional to their knowledge at the time...

:dunno:

So we're saying that if you're a serial rapist you should not be allowed to support any good cause monetarily and punishing the students of these universities would be the only professional and just course of action?

I'm pretty sure that these universities don't have that donation money just lying around ready to give back, it's been used for this and that, and if they had to scramble and save to find the loose change it's the current students who had nothing to do with Cosby's rapes who would suffer.

All I'm saying is that they didn't have to publicly say anything. He wasn't their Jared Fogle. They could have told him privately and that's it. But they are simply looking for new donors. So they publicly out him with the hopes that a Gates or a Zuckerberg comes along and shows financial support for them outting Cosby.

So lets not act like the university didn't have an agenda by publicly doing that. Jmo

All I'm saying is that they didn't have to publicly say anything. He wasn't their Jared Fogle. They could have told him privately and that's it. But they are simply looking for new donors. So they publicly out him with the hopes that a Gates or a Zuckerberg comes along and shows financial support for them outting Cosby.

So lets not act like the university didn't have an agenda by publicly doing that. Jmo

Nah, I don't think so. The women and Hannibal Buress outted Cosby, the universities are simply saying that they now see that they were wrong to say that this serial rapist was such an all around swell guy.

Some current donors to the universities might have threatened to withdraw their ongoing financial backing if Cosby didn't get denounced but no one seriously thinks that there will be any fresh megabillionaires coming out of the woodworks who will "reward" their alma mater for belatedly and somewhat grudgingly acknowledging what everybody else knows already. MOO.

Or , it's just people on the boards of these institutions who are appalled about multiple rapes.

Nah, I don't think so. The women and Hannibal Buress outted Cosby, the universities are simply saying that they now see that they were wrong to say that this serial rapist was such an all around swell guy.

Some current donors to the universities might have threatened to withdraw their ongoing financial backing if Cosby didn't get denounced but no one seriously thinks that there will be any fresh megabillionaires coming out of the woodworks who will "reward" their alma mater for belatedly and somewhat grudgingly acknowledging what everybody else knows already. MOO.

Or , it's just people on the boards of these institutions who are appalled about multiple rapes.

Lol. I bet if Cosby donated 2 million today; they would still take it and thank him for it. Jmo

Lol. I bet if Cosby donated 2 million today; they would still take it and thank him for it. Jmo

IDK, that one school invited him to speak to their students, I wonder what he paid them.

But that was before the deposition excerpts came to light and before prominent new headlines and before a couple of new lawsuits and other legal setbacks. It is getting more and more difficult to pretend that these women don't exist and some boards might well think that accepting fresh bribes from Bill is not worth the bad PR.

IDK, that one school invited him to speak to their students, I wonder what he paid them.

But that was before the deposition excerpts came to light and before prominent new headlines and before a couple of new lawsuits and other legal setbacks. It is getting more and more difficult to pretend that these women don't exist and some boards might well think that accepting fresh bribes from Bill is not worth the bad PR.

Agree. Tear down the statue. But keep the gymnasium. Lol. They are probably saddened just like everyone else. No one saw this coming. He has only himself and his proclivities to blame.

Maybe his wife had similar encounters with him but kept quiet because of the success and accomplishments that they were striving for. Idk.

BBM. Do you mean when Cosby was speaking for The Black Belt Community Foundation last May?

BBM. Do you mean when Cosby was speaking for The Black Belt Community Foundation last May?

Yeah probably... I forgot what it was called but he went to walk in Martin Luther King's footsteps across a bridge and talked to high school students and the organizators said it was all because the world needs to know that the Black Belt kids matter. Selma, Alabama, I think..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove