Rebecca Nalepa - suicide or murder? #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jonah and Dina may have both been at the hospital when Rebecca's body was found ..but were they there when Rebecca body was hanged.
That will be the million dollar question. They will have to show that from the time her sister was on the phone with her until the brother saw the body that they were there the entire night.If the police are requesting the hospital videos shows that the police no longer are looking at this as a suicide IMO

Radaronline link says NO security cameras at all in the mansion...? He could certainly afford them, he had valuables to protect, he was somewhat high profile and worth tons of dough...I think I'd have a couple of cameras...unless there were things I did not want caught on camera...

Hard to imagine there are NO cameras as they were not there to protect their home most of the time or probably a large part of the time. They could have had someone caretaking the place, but I'd still think cameras. I wonder if they had cameras, they just weren't on?

I'm also wondering if neighbors had any security cameras that would have caught anyone driving up or not? Not sure ... I know my neighbors cameras don't take clear pics very far from the house.

I do have to wonder if some people don't get cameras as a preventative measure - that way nothing accidentally gets put on tape!

My brother worked for ME in New Mexico for years..he said they would be able to tell if she was strangled then hung to cover up strangulation.

Hypothetically, focusing only on the neck, and without looking at any other info:

IF RN was strangled to death, then placed in a noose (staged), could ME medically distinguish this hypothetical homicide (staged as a suicide) from a true suicide?

Could she have been hogtied and hung from the balcony...and then the central cord broke? A torture type scenario, I'm sad to say.

I had similar thoughts. I think there are a number of plausible scenarios.

My brother worked for ME in New Mexico for years..he said they would be able to tell if she was strangled then hung to cover up strangulation.

Thanks for your response and for seeing through to my intended question from my poorly written first draft of that question!

Hypothetically, focusing only on the neck, and without looking at any other info:

IF RN was strangled to death, then placed in a noose (staged), could ME medically distinguish this hypothetical homicide (staged as a suicide) from a true suicide?

My brother says yes..if strangled by hand..marks would be different than hanging..he worked for ME for years.

also from what I understand if this was autoerotica ..she would have to have one hand free.

The body looks so strange..almost like she was hanging from her hands that were tied behind her..too many weird parts to this case..HINKY keeps on going off.

Someone posted that they saw an ADA (?) security emblem in one of the pictures.
I have never bought that they don't have cameras, maybe only an alarm system.
Weather it was set or not, is another question.
They have to have security, just unheard of not too.

IMO

None of this is neither her nor there just observations. Someone earlier said that with Max gone, Dina had no big connection to Jonah anymore (I guess that would actually be no connection based on child support, visitation, etc. - otherwise we don't know about alimony, etc.). We heard from family 'friends' that Jonah was about to propose to Rebecca. I wonder if all his family knew that. Marrying Rebecca might have meant more children in the near future, if she could have children. Not now, although I guess he could take up with another woman in the near future who could either just become his wife (some legal claim to part of his fortune) or his wife and mother of more children (heirs). Not sure the brother, Adam, has any claim over money should something happen to Jonah or that it matters if Adam were considered a suspect? Investors may have some interest in what is going on, obviously, as do others employed by Medicis. Competitors have some interest. The first wife and her current husband have an interest in what happens to his estate.

Could she have been hogtied and hung from the balcony...and then the central cord broke? A torture type scenario, I'm sad to say.

I agree . A recent cold case that was solved in Massachusetts involved a teen who had been hogtied and left in a vacant lot, the perps said they intended to teach him a lesson however, when they returned a few hours later he had died from struggling

http://crimesceneusa.blogspot.com/2011/04/mass-cold-case-murder-from-1969-finally.html

Hard to imagine there are NO cameras as they were not there to protect their home most of the time or probably a large part of the time. They could have had someone caretaking the place, but I'd still think cameras. I wonder if they had cameras, they just weren't on?

I'm also wondering if neighbors had any security cameras that would have caught anyone driving up or not? Not sure ... I know my neighbors cameras don't take clear pics very far from the house.

I do have to wonder if some people don't get cameras as a preventative measure - that way nothing accidentally gets put on tape!
ITA - that is certainly odd. On a 12 mil mansion - not the first camera? Odd. With a 6 yr old living in that house - no cameras? Odd. Summer/vacation home - not there a lot of the time - no cameras? Odd.

Even when "criminals" or "corrupted people" live in mansions - they usually don't have cameras inside - but the entire perimeter is quite commonly surveilled 24/7.

Since we can't even hear the 911 call we are at a severe disadvantage. We simply don't have enough (or any) information.

My brother says yes..if strangled by hand..marks would be different than hanging..he worked for ME for years.

also from what I understand if this was autoerotica ..she would have to have one hand free.

The body looks so strange..almost like she was hanging from her hands that were tied behind her..too many weird parts to this case..HINKY keeps on going off.

But, what if she were first strangled with a cord or similar? Could you tell then?

why was there ANY music heard coming from the Mansion the night before she was found in the morning. I realize a party had been planned, but some say it was cancelled. It would seem an odd time while Max was in the hospital for music to be heard in a 27 room mansion at such a volume that neighbors heard.

But, what if she were first strangled with a cord or similar? Could you tell then?
Possibly. An ME will look at how the "cord, rope, hands, object" went around the neck. If there is any "angle" to the marks, someone that dies from hanging the "ring of marks" on the neck will angle upwards to where the noose was attached. If someone is strangled at "ground level" the "ring marks" are usually circular and equi-distant all the way around. KWIM?

Does that make any sense?

I'm also wondering if Adam's first call was to 911 or JS.
How JS reacted, leaving the hospital or staying put, and letting Adam deal with it.
So many unanswered questions.
The last time JS spoke to RN is also important.
IMO

The type of knot it was not was new information. It was not a "noose" knot. It could have been any knot. And yes, it was an effective knot whatever it was.

I don't think the type of knot can tell us anything about scene staging or not.

That's alto of nots/knots!

I just want to point out that all of this scrutiny of the way the noose was tied could be for naught, :floorlaugh:(another "not"!), depending upon the reason the cop called it "makeshift".

If the description came from a police report, it could be that the person writing the report or the person being quoted referred to it as "makeshift" because it was made with an electrical cord instead of a rope, if that's what was used.

On the other hand, if the person calling it "makeshift" was someone who would be an expert on tying knots, it may well have been the wrong kind of knot. Which tells us nothing, since a knot expert trying to stage a suicide might be sharp enough to tie the wrong kind of knot on purpose.

I still don't suspect the tugboat brother, though!:twocents:

why was there ANY music heard coming from the Mansion the night before she was found in the morning. I realize a party had been planned, but some say it was cancelled. It would seem an odd time while Max was in the hospital for music to be heard in a 27 room mansion at such a volume that neighbors heard.

Yes, unless the music was coming from speakers in the Courtyard.
IMO

Thankx but there are none of the balcony in those.

As for the wrought iron being in good condition. As I said, I've lived around wrought iron my entire life. While it may look like it is strong and in good condition - it can rot from within. It would seem that the wrought iron on that balcony was strictly ornamental. While it was put there to ensure the safety of people standing on that balcony - it was never meant for anyone to sit on (or swing from).

I was 10 and we were all climbing the wrought iron tressel to get to the roof. My foot went completely through a piece as I stepped onto it. Even though 5 - 6 other kids went up before me.

I've seen a dog tethered to a piece of wrought iron and while he didn't pull through the iron - he did a heck of a job bending it out.

My DH is a structural steel ironworker. It does have flaws and weaknesses in it, just like glass.

I'm just curious about the wrought iron and would like to see a better picture of the iron on the balcony.

My husband is an Ironworker from San Diego!

Course in this case we are talking wrought iron not fabricated iron like hubs work on.

San Diego has so much really beautiful old wrought iron work.

I agree that it can be “hollow” if not maintained especially every day decorative type.

But Spreckels Cottage seems to have been magnificently built and preserved so the quality and craftsmanship of the iron alone would hold up then adding in that it has been continuously maintained it doesn’t seem it would give, imo

It is a strong architectural feature by the finest of craftsman I am sure.

Now the way it is anchored into the stucco [?] may be a different story.

It is all so sad and the poor house. Standing over 100 years and these double tragedies on her grand and lovely grounds

I hope that maybe JS will think of using the home as a museum. Does Coronado have a museum? With the proceeds to go to his charities in memory of Max and Rebecca

Maybe the mansion will not hear laughter and children playing for many years but I can’t think that it staying lonely and sad looking like it is now is good for anyone.

all imo

I asked the same question..he said yes..it would require a little closer look..when you are hanged .the marking would be higher than if you were strangled with a cord. hope that makes sense...need more coffee.. theligature mark from noose would be right beneath chin going upward toward ears..if noose was in back. if noose was on side it would be under one ear going up toward other side.

Has RN funeral been announced yet? I myself will find it interesting as to who shows up or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro