Rebecca Nalepa - suicide or murder? #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If tox reveals that she had nothing at all in her system, then what, I wonder...will that lead them more toward murder? Either way, I hate to think they won't be able to tell for sure, that their ultimate manner of death will be a "best guess" kind of thing...

I feel certain this was a suicide. None of the known evidence has led me to any kind of murder scenario.
In an interview by cbs8 at 11:51 the same morning RN was found (which I tend to lead credence to as there is no time to prepare a statement) the reporter asks what leads you to believe this is a suspicious death, captain curran replies well I'm not um really ah prepared to comment what led us to believe that but the scene does indicate ah some ah type of very suspicious circumstances. The words very suspicious circumstances and evidence removed from the interior of the house, imo takes me away from the suicide theory.

If tox reveals that she had nothing at all in her system, then what, I wonder...will that lead them more toward murder? Either way, I hate to think they won't be able to tell for sure, that their ultimate manner of death will be a "best guess" kind of thing...
I hope not, not another case with out a manner of death please... but the fact that she was found so soon will make it a lot easier to give them a manner of death, as well with extension cords and and the rope I hope they should be able to retrieve dna in areas that may show who handled them last for the manner in which they were used (inside knots, inside the bindings that would be up against her skin).

In regards to the suspicion about the brother from Memphis his work on a barge or tugboat would have been affected by the flooding on the
Mississippi.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-06-21-floods_N.htm?csp=34

WINFIELD, Mo. (AP) — The flooding in the Midwest has brought freight traffic on the upper Mississippi to a standstill, stranding more than 100 barges loaded with grain, cement, scrap metal, fertilizer and other products while shippers wait for the water to drop on the Big Muddy.
"We're basically experiencing total shutdown," said Larry Daily, president of Alter Barge Line Inc. of Bettendorf, Iowa.

Other articles on shut down of barge traffic:
http://www.icis.com/Articles/2011/05/20/9462102/flooding-on-mississippi-begins-to-stop-barge-traffic-us-brokers.html
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-05-10/mississippi-flooding-threatens-crops-refineries-and-homes.html

Maybe biding his time until commercial traffic could resume and just when he had a job upcoming he got news of the accident.

I don’t find it at all unusual that he went to be by his brother’s side. It is not like it was good news from the start.

all imo

Phoenix is an easy drive to san diego, we do it every year about 360 mi, we do it in 4 1/2 hours, so I think NN is still a possibility if this will be found to be a murder (I don't subscribe to the suicide theory imo).

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/shacknai-mansion-mystery-deepens-032611735.html

Phyllis Manno, the aunt of Zahau’s ex-husband, agrees with Zahau-Loehner. “I don’t think she did it either," she told The Daily Beast. "That’s all I am saying.”

I hope they would just rule "unknown" instead of a best guess. Maybe the case can be reopened again.

I hope not, not another case with out a manner of death please... but the fact that she was found so soon will make it a lot easier to give them a manner of death, as well with extension cords and and the rope I hope they should be able to retrieve dna in areas that may show who handled them last for the manner in which they were used (inside knots, inside the bindings that would be up against her skin).

Well, I have been hoping that, aboout DNa, skin cells, etc...but did not think it would take this long in CA. I know they did a turnaround DNA in about 24 hours in Chelsea King's case...of course not all go that way, but still, it has been a while...

Do you think RN jumped or flung herself over the balcony?

Or do you think she used the table?

I am leaning toward homicide, but I would love to here your reasons for a suicide.

Do you think she was so full of guilt over Maxie's accident? Do you think JS asked her to leave?

Thanks so much for your insight!!

I think she was ravaged with guilt. She was despondent over the complete loss.
Rebecca was on the verge of having the "perfect" life, and it was yanked from her in one instant.
I don't doubt she loved Maxie and loved him with all her heart, but I also think she loved her awesome lifestyle with JS too.
The scenario I see is that everything went down very suddenly. Maxie had the accident, his sister was shipped off, there were sooo many questions, people demanding answers, she was probably told it would be better if she she didn't show up at the hospital, but at the same time, calling to question her over what happened repeatedly, accusations over how could she let the accident happen. JS may have even told her that he didn't know if they could be together anymore after the accident. Then on Tuesday, I assume they found out that Maxie was never going to recover and that set the ball rolling.
She was consumed with guilt, along with the loss of everything she thought she was going to have in life. I don't think she saw any other way out. She thought everyone would be better off without her and she had nothing else to live for. Everyone else was at the hospital. She was alone with her sadness and grief. It seems almost as if she felt compelled to end her life.

I am not sure how she did it exactly. I do know that I tried to bind my ankles and wrists and was able to step through with no problem and I'm a big girl.
It would seem most logical to hobble over to the balcony rail and let myself drop, but I can also see the table scenario. It would be a lot more difficult to achieve the binding and hanging, but I understand that Rebecca was very fit.

In an interview by cbs8 at 11:51 the same morning RN was found (which I tend to lead credence to as there is no time to prepare a statement) the reporter asks what leads you to believe this is a suspicious death, captain curran replies well I'm not um really ah prepared to comment what led us to believe that but the scene does indicate ah some ah type of very suspicious circumstances. The words very suspicious circumstances and evidence removed from the interior of the house, imo takes me away from the suicide theory.

A hanging death would be violent and suspicious just because of the act itself, whether it was murder or suicide.

I think it would be normal for LE to automatically assume the worst and work from that point. That quote was mere hours after her body was found, so of course there would be lots of questions and suspicions.

I'm not saying it couldn't be murder, but to me, logic says suicide.

Rebecca was on the verge of having the "perfect" life, and it was yanked from her in one instant.
I don't doubt she loved Maxie and loved him with all her heart, but I also think she loved her awesome lifestyle with JS too.
The scenario I see is that everything went down very suddenly. Maxie had the accident, his sister was shipped off, there were sooo many questions, people demanding answers, she was probably told it would be better if she she didn't show up at the hospital, but at the same time, calling to question her over what happened repeatedly, accusations over how could she let the accident happen. JS may have even told her that he didn't know if they could be together anymore after the accident. Then on Tuesday, I assume they found out that Maxie was never going to recover and that set the ball rolling.
She was consumed with guilt, along with the loss of everything she thought she was going to have in life. I don't think she saw any other way out. She thought everyone would be better off without her and she had nothing else to live for. Everyone else was at the hospital. She was alone with her sadness and grief. It seems almost as if she felt compelled to end her life.

I am not sure how she did it exactly. I do know that I tried to bind my ankles and wrists and was able to step through with no problem and I'm a big girl.
It would seem most logical to hobble over to the balcony rail and let myself drop, but I can also see the table scenario. It would be a lot more difficult to achieve the binding and hanging, but I understand that Rebecca was very fit.

And you see doing this in the nude in the courtyard?

Snipped:

Dear Erik, Anne Wallace and AS (name removed),

We have been on vacation for a week, our winter break here in our school system. What a wonderful and energizing way to return to work than to find out that these project materials are fully funded! THANK YOU from the bottom, middle and top of my heart for your generosity.

Source: http://www.donorschoose.org/donors/proposal.html?id=509712#
-----------------------

I wonder if ADHD, high functioning autism/PDD/asbergers, learning disabilities run in the Shacknai family. Isn't DS & JS's charity have something to do with this? And I think DS is a child psychiatrist/psychologist.

bbm

Very good point!

Is she tied the knots herself (with her arms in front of her before she *stepped* through her arms to put them behind her back), the knots would likely be on the radial (thumb) side of her wrists.

If someone else tied the knots, they would likely be on the ulnar (pinky finger) side of her wrists (since someone else would have tied her arms behind her back).

IMO, if the knots are on the radial side, then it points to suicide. If the knots are on the ulnar side, then it points to homicide.

MOO

2.) someone mentioned in one of the posts if im not mistaken that marine rope was used. Well, the question is this - is there a jetski or boat in this house ? if not, I can't think of reason why someone would have marine rope stored in the house. the usual landlubber would only buy the usual household rope available from home depot or Lowes. Only thing I can think of is that the A.S.(the brother) works on a tugboat and......in any case, if my memory is faulty, I still wonder what kind of rope it is- marine rope or just the electrical cord. and of course, what is the background of A.S. ? does he have any police records ?

I noticed in a picture posted a few pages back that there were jet skis in the picture. I will try to find it.

OCTOBER posted the picture in post #700.

Parked in front of the grey SUV appears to possibly be 3 jet skis with at least one being covered by a blue jet ski cover.

bbm

Very good point!

Is she tied the knots herself (with her arms in front of her before she *stepped* through her arms to put them behind her back), the knots would likely be on the radial (thumb) side of her wrists.

If someone else tied the knots, they would likely be on the ulnar (pinky finger) side of her wrists (since someone else would have tied her arms behind her back).

IMO, if the knots are on the radial side, then it points to suicide. If the knots are on the ulnar side, then it points to homicide.

MOO
Excellent point!!! Thanks.

BBM

I don't agree, Evan's Mom. We don't know what happened yet. Suppose Maxie, GS and Rebecca (along with the dog,) were all together and RN went to answer the phone and it was JS. At that moment would JS blame RN, or would he think, 'if I had only called later RN could have been supervising them.' There are many scenarios that could have taken place. Besides which, who watches their six year old every second. Yes, you stay in the same area where they are, but you can't be there constantly.

Also, RN was know to be a nice, sweet, religious woman. There is no way I believe she would do this, especially naked (I believe it would be shameful to her.) And, if she felt she was in some way truly responsible, I believe she was the type of woman who would write a note, not just to JS, but to DS and the rest of the family as well.

All that being said, I predict this will be another dead end case. JS has plenty of money, already has the best PR firm around (either through his company or personally, it doesn't matter,) and he and his shareholders have too much to lose.

To me it screams murder. I'm not sure who yet, and there are alot of suspects, but I'm thinking 1. JS, 2, AS, 3. DS, in that order. We need to know when AS told his landlord he was going back to his tug, did he go to the hospital, did he attend either funeral, and what actual help he was to his brother?

And you see doing this in the nude in the courtyard?

Yes, I most certainly do.

I don't know their reasons why, but I've read many suicide stories where the person was reported nude when they were found.
I can't get into Rececca's head at this point, but I can only assume she wanted to leave the world the same way she came in or that by shedding her clothing, she was shedding her life and everything in it.
Coming from someone who has attempted suicide more than once in her youth, it's impossible for a normal and sane person to get inside the mind of someone mentally ill, no matter how hard you try. At my age now, I can't get inside my own head to understand why I felt compelled to do what I did.

Here is an example: I've had two friends(unrelated suicides) in my life that witnessed the suicide of their fathers. In both circumstances, the father was in one room and called the daughter to "come here". The minute they walked in the room, he shot himself in the head.
Now, who in the H E double hockey sticks does that?
I can't understand why a parent would want their child to witness their suicide? Can you? Nothing in my mind will let me go there. I just can't fathom it, but it does happen. Twice that I personally know of.

Oceanblueeyes related a personal story that had very similar circumstances to Rebecca's. It does happen.
Like I said, we can't understand why someone would do such a thing, but we're not dealing with a mental anguish of that magnitude either. We're sane and mentally stable, for the most part.

BBM

I don't agree, Evan's Mom. We don't know what happened yet. Suppose Maxie, GS and Rebecca (along with the dog,) were all together and RN went to answer the phone and it was JS. At that moment would JS blame RN, or would he think, 'if I had only called later RN could have been supervising them.' There are many scenarios that could have taken place. Besides which, who watches their six year old every second. Yes, you stay in the same area where they are, but you can't be there constantly.

Also, RN was know to be a nice, sweet, religious woman. There is no way I believe she would do this, especially naked (I believe it would be shameful to her.) And, if she felt she was in some way truly responsible, I believe she was the type of woman who would write a note, not just to JS, but to DS and the rest of the family as well.

All that being said, I predict this will be another dead end case. JS has plenty of money, already has the best PR firm around (either through his company or personally, it doesn't matter,) and he and his shareholders have too much to lose.

To me it screams murder. I'm not sure who yet, and there are alot of suspects, but I'm thinking 1. JS, 2, AS, 3. DS, in that order. We need to know when AS told his landlord he was going back to his tug, did he go to the hospital, did he attend either funeral, and what actual help he was to his brother?

Lol, you don't have to agree with me.
That's the great thing about this board.
We're all allowed to assert our theories and as I've said before, nothing says murder to me. I see nothing more than a set of horribly tragic events.

I will be the first one to admit if I'm wrong, because lord knows, I've been wrong about a lot of stuff in my life. I just don't think Rebecca was murdered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3