Rebecca Zahau Wrongful death trial begins. Trial coverage and discussion #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The defense provided a chart. The plaintiff provided a hanging, gagged, bound mannequin. One of these items is far more demonstrative of the truth than the other.

Oh but I so love a power point presentation, and having someone read it aloud to me, just in case my ears stop working, or my eyes stop working there is a backup!:happydance:

I agree and as I see it, the idea of some random person walking in the house and committing this elaborate crime defies credulity.

Agree, and some random person wouldn’t have written that particular message on the door.

Oh, yeah, because they hadn't heard of long distance phone calls? What would her leaving town have to do with interviewing her in a timely fashion?

Actually, IIRC, LEO DID interview RZ'S sister.

That one there is posting misinformation.

A new day just beginning, sending more well wishes to Mr. Greer and the Zahau family!

:praying:

Snip-

Jurors had only a few minutes to realize what was happening.

An electronically-operated video screen glided up and out of the way, exposing a sheet-shrouded figure that the screen had hidden from view.

Attorney C. Keith Greer tugged at the sheet to reveal a life-size mannequin hanging from a red noose fastened to a black metal stand.

The figure of a woman with long black hair was modestly draped in a hospital gown. But seconds later, Greer fully exposed the tan-skinned figure meant to depict the way Rebecca Zahau looked the morning her naked body dangled from the balcony of a Coronado mansion.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/courts/sd-me-zahau-closing-trial-20180402-story.html

Long distance LE interviews in a criminal investigation involving a death of a child?
If that is what the family demanded, it won't surprise me if LE re-opens the investigation.

I'll say it again, LE DID interview her.

It can't have an impact on the jury decision because it wasn't introduced as evidence during the trial. If the defense discovers it was discussed, he can move for a mistrial.

Does the fact that the mannequin was used during trial matter? Not sure the judge would've allowed this demonstration at all if she was not going to let the jury allow it during deliberations.

Adam's DNA wasn't found at the scene of the death in the house. If you have evidence that he was there, please provide it. The Plaintiff failed to provide it at trial. Thanks.

Posted this yesterday, but just in case it was missed. interesting read regarding dna.

But does forensic evidence really matter as much as we believe? New research suggests no, arguing that we have overrated the role that it plays in the arrest and prosecution of American criminals.

A study, reviewing 400 murder cases in five jurisdictions, found that the presence of forensic evidence had very little impact on whether an arrest would be made, charges would be filed, or a conviction would be handed down in court.

A mere 13.5 percent of the murder cases reviewed actually had physical evidence that linked the suspect to the crime scene or victim. The conviction rate in those cases was only slightly higher than the rate among all other cases in the sample. And for the most part, the hard, scientific evidence celebrated by crime dramas simply did not surface. According to the research, investigators found some kind of biological evidence 38 percent of the time, latent fingerprints 28 percent of the time, and DNA in just 4.5 percent of homicides.

http://archive.boston.com/bostonglob...idence/?page=1

I'll tell you what I found very powerful yesterday and that was Greer bringing out the paint tube and reminding the jury that there was no human DNA on it whatsoever, after it had been squeezed over 20 times. Not even unidentified DNA belonging to the store workers who unpacked the stock and placed it in a bag. None.

This was a biggie for me!

It can't have an impact on the jury decision because it wasn't introduced as evidence during the trial. If the defense discovers it was discussed, he can move for a mistrial.

You and I both know that it is ridiculous to say that it can’t have an impact. That’s not how human psychology works. On paper, every juror can agree that they won’t use it in their decision, but it would be absolutely crazy to believe that they will ignore it completely. Their brains formed opinions as that exhibit happened. The judge allowed it to go on, on top of it. It doesn’t have to be discussed between them. The impression was already left in their heads. It’s exactly the same reasoning for attorneys to use obviously objectionable tactics throughout trial. It gets stricken from record but the jury still hears it.

You and I both know that it is ridiculous to say that it can’t have an impact. That’s not how human psychology works. On paper, every juror can agree that they won’t use it in their decision, but it would be absolutely crazy to believe that they will ignore it completely. Their brains formed opinions as that exhibit happened. The judge allowed it to go on, on top of it. It doesn’t have to be discussed between them. The impression was already left in their heads.
I don't know what type of impact is being discussed here. It was a physical demonstration of the height of Rebecca's body. Not everyone can visualize measurements. It was necessary and it does not change the evidence introduced during the trial as far as I can see.

Was this mentioned in court? Nothing wrong with seeing a psychiatrist. I had just never heard this before.
Gilgamesh :daisy:Absolutely there is nothing wrong with seeing a psychologist or a psychiatrist, imo, but it is a fact in this case AS was seeing a psychiatrist. An email from Greer to Adam’s attorney shows he reached out to Adam's psychiatrists office.

ROA Doc 416-

This confirms that I advise Mr. Shacknai's employer to not respond to the subpoena at this time. I advised him that you, has the employees attorney, have objected to the subpoena and maybe filing a motion to quash we are unable to come to an agreement that Narrows the scope of the subpoena. My office has already been advised by the psychiatrist office that they will not respond to the subpoena without a signed release from Mr. Shacknai. Thus, everything is on hold at this point. Let's talk Thursday to see if we can come to terms.

C. Keith Greer, Esq.
Greer & Associates

zdyED.gif

link
Is this the link for the closing arguments?

https://www.facebook.com/ABC10News/...Hkt33FF37pCA8PZmHwr968nJcnf1QnoG7FktoJ3Pg3TYQ

What time does it start?

This was a biggie for me!

RZ’s fingerprint was still on the cap. I find it unbelievable that the scene was wiped down so thoroughly that only RZ’s dna and fingerprints were left behind.

Wasn't there something at one time about Adam being involved in theater some way?

Yes, picture posted downstream<<<

Adam would have been a lot more believable if he had “played” a self assured Captain.

“I’ve got an unresponsive woman; apparent neck injury. She was hanging.
CPR? She is dead –cold and stiff.
Her hands are bound but there is no pulse in the neck or on the temple.
I removed a gag and there is no breath”

But no he staged a show instead.

And finally got to make use that Literature degree in what will be his most famous published work.

Showing his love for theatrics and prose, that one

All imo

Does the fact that the mannequin was used during trial matter? Not sure the judge would've allowed this demonstration at all if she was not going to let the jury allow it during deliberations.

That makes no sense. Reconstructions like this are done in courts all the time. If juries weren't allowed to consider them, no one would do them.

RZ&#8217;s fingerprint was still on the cap. I find it unbelievable that the scene was wiped down so thoroughly that only RZ&#8217;s dna and fingerprints were left behind.

Why do you think there was none of Rebecca's DNA on the paint tube?

:facepalm:

It most certainly was introduced.

RZ&#8217;s fingerprint was still on the cap. I find it unbelievable that the scene was wiped down so thoroughly that only RZ&#8217;s dna and fingerprints were left behind.

He must have missed that spot on the cap. I believe the use of gloves and wiping areas of the scene resulted in not a trace of AS. He had plenty of time to do damage control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhampton