Rebecca Zahau Wrongful death trial begins. Trial coverage and discussion #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the fact that the mannequin was used during trial matter? Not sure the judge would've allowed this demonstration at all if she was not going to let the jury allow it during deliberations.

It can be used as demonstrative evidence only. The jury will be instructed that it is there to help them interpret other evidence but it is not itself evidence. Hope that helps. It is the same for graphics that attorneys show during closing arguments. They aren't usually admitted into evidence.

What type of monetary damages did Plaintiff ask for? I know that isn't the reason for the case but he would have had to ask for something. Forgive me because I couldn't watch the live feed at work due to working on my own clients' cases :fence:

What type of monetary damages did Plaintiff ask for? I know that isn't the reason for the case but he would have had to ask for something. Forgive me because I couldn't watch the live feed at work due to working on my own clients' cases :fence:

If I recall correctly, Mr. Greer asked for $5,000 a year for Rebecca's mom for the remainder of her life (based on the amount RZ was sending to her before her death), and $.01 (1 cent) for something else I can't remember.

Hopefully someone will come along to correct this if I'm wrong.

I believe it was $5000 for each year that RZ could have continued contributed to supporting her mother ( I recall the Judge explaining this just prior to closing arguments - that the jury have to estimate how long she has left to live)

And one penny damages for the battery charges.

This was to communicate loudly that it is not money the family are after, it’s justice.

( Taylor swift asked for the same one penny damages in her recent sexual assault case I seem to recall)

Just my opinion....( sandiegolawyer, please post your expert one!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I recall correctly, Mr. Greer asked for $5,000 a year for Rebecca's mom for the remainder of her life (based on the amount RZ was sending to her before her death), and $.01 (1 cent) for something else I can't remember.

Hopefully someone will come along to correct this if I'm wrong.

Sorry! I think we’re tapping on the keypad together :)

I'm going to use my gut instincts here and go out on a limb to say that it's possible Mr. Greer's rebuttal was so brief because he's already read the jury (I suspect he's a good judge of people), and rather than get back into the weeds again (since it probably wasn't necessary), he decided to take his final moments in front of the jurors to be a voice for Rebecca.

Imo, obviously.

Maybe so. Lovely.

Update from the page.

Quick update, the jury went into deliberation room. It is hard to hold back emotion. Now its waiting!!!!! Please continue to pray

https://www..com/rydrn-justice-for-rebecca

This made me tear up....

I believe it was $5000 for each year that RZ could have continued contributed to supporting her mother ( I recall the Judge explaining this just prior to closing arguments - that the jury have to estimate how long she has left to live)

And one penny damages for the battery charges.

This was to communicate loudly that it is not money the family are after, it’s justice.

( Taylor swift asked for the same one penny damages in her recent sexual assault case I seem to recall)

Just my opinion....( sandiegolawyer, please post your expert one!)

Thanks Lezah. That makes sense and definitely sends a message that it's not about the money. In a wrongful death trial you have to show the monetary support the survivor is missing due to the death so if that's what RZ was sending, that seems proper.

I am on the edge of my seat with this one. I am a recent follower of this site but have always been a strong believer that this was NOT a suicide. Keith Greer is a great lawyer and it sounds like he did an amazing job for his clients.

I read as follows:

$5,000 annually for mother's support, for life
$0.01 for black paint
? unspecified, to be determined by jury for pain and suffering

Tricia, are you planning another phone interview with Mr. Greer anytime soon?

The news reported here that Greer asked for an unspecified amount that the jury felt a family or the mother would be due if she, the daughter, was murdered.

I just want to thank everyone on Websleuths who has contributed their time, research skills and heart on Rebecca’s behalf...those who have been here for the duration, those like me who dropped by periodically to read and dove in at the end, and those who are new and have contributed so much. I won’t name names because I’ll leave someone out, but you all know who you are. Of course I will name Tricia with thanks for the extra interviews, etc. :)

This has been an emotional roller coaster, but especially for the Zahau family and for Keith Greer. They have gone above and beyond for Rebecca. No matter what the verdict is, they did their best and I wish them peace.

Big, warm squishy hugs for one and all while we wait! :heartbeat:

The Zahau family, including mother Pari and sister Mary Zahau-Loehner, asked for one penny in economic damages on behalf of Rebecca and $5,000 a year for the rest of Pari Zahau’s life, for loss of support from by her late daughter.

Greer would not put a price on noneconomic damages, saying: “I don’t know what value to put on a mother’s loss of a daughter.”

https://www.courthousenews.com/was-it-suicide-or-murder-at-the-mansion/

More detail on Mr Greer’s close...

He stood up, he was upset, composed but upset. He said words to the effect of ‘look it just doesn’t matter , the process of how she died, we will never know the details but we do know she was murdered. Murdered by AS. He had motive, opportunity, we know that...

...When I first took this case Mary said to me about her sisters death, what would be her last words...(this is when he got emotional)

Objection! Facts not in evidence (or words to that effect)

Sustained by Judge...

I really thought Mr Greer was going to break down, his voice trembled, he shook his head and said something I couldn’t hear to the Judge, then he was allowed to say...

Mary said RZ would ask for the forgiveness of the man who murdered her, and to tell her family she loved them, but ask them that they make sure to hold AS accountable for what he did to her...

That was it.

Just my opinion and paraphrasing to my best recollection.
Can I just say I love this man? Sooo much stress. He must be beyond exhausted. Hang tough, Mr. Greer. You got this.

He is talking about interpreting the painting on the door using Tsuida's statement that they concluded that "Rebecca likely painted the message on the door." So many people have gone on for years about what this message means. IMO the only one who can tell us exactly what that message meant is AS.

What does the message mean?

Well, Adam could.

The topic of the phase on the door must be just fascinating to Adam since has a BA in American Literature.

Oh, how I remember endless hours in college level literature class analyzing phases.

He would be a bit of an authority to have earned a BA in just such topic matter.

IMO

Any idea what it means?

A reminder of what Greer said about damages in his interview with Tricia

KG: When it comes to punitive damages those have to be proven by clear and convincing evidence so it’s more of a challenge obviously to meet the clear and convincing standard.

TG: So if they come back with $100 punitive that would give you an indication that maybe they weren’t quite sure about Adam.

KG: Well they’d probably come back with zero, it would either be something substantial or zero, they have to find that it’s clear and convincing first and if they do find that then they can come back with the larger number, but they may put a very large value on the damages caused by her mother losing her 32-year old daughter who was definitely a very important part of her life, taking care of her, consoling her, taking care of her financially, emotionally, it was a very strong relationship, so they could put a big number on that.

Any idea what it means?

Not really. It's nonsensical. Imo, it's the product of a short-circuiting brain working feverishly to stage a murder to look like a suicide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnnemarieNL